OT: Movie rental suggestions

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Movie rental suggestions

Post by XXXIV »

Jackdog wrote:Out of the Furnace. Strong performances all around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClzRVlMhU2E
Its on my list of must see as Bale has become my favorite actor this gen.

I recently saw American Hustle and he was great in it.

Forget Batman for a minute and think The Fighter, The Prestige, American Psycho etc...Dudes good. Damn good.

BTW. The broads were awesome in American Hustle. Lawrence and Adams. Im talking bout the acting. 8)

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

XXXIV wrote:
Jackdog wrote:Out of the Furnace. Strong performances all around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClzRVlMhU2E
Its on my list of must see as Bale has become my favorite actor this gen.

I recently saw American Hustle and he was great in it.

Forget Batman for a minute and think The Fighter, The Prestige, American Psycho etc...Dudes good. Damn good.

BTW. The broads were awesome in American Hustle. Lawrence and Adams. Im talking bout the acting. 8)
:lol: :D I'll check it out.

Out of the Furnace has a slow moving plot but it's so well acted we didn't mind. Harrelson was great.
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Just got done watching Rush....most likely my favorite movie of 2013. Fantastic!

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

sportdan30 wrote:Just got done watching Rush....most likely my favorite movie of 2013. Fantastic!
Rush was cool.

I just watched Silver Linings Playbook last week. I thought it was very cute in a different way. Worth watching!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

sportdan30 wrote:Just got done watching Rush....most likely my favorite movie of 2013. Fantastic!
Excellent film. One of only three that I've seen in a theater in the last five years. The others were "The Fighter" and "Senna."
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I really enjoyed Rush, but the non-race portions of the story were pretty paint-by-numbers. Nowhere near the discussion of the best films that I saw last year. (American Hustle, Captain Phillips and Lone Survivor). That said, the race scenes were absolutely breathtaking.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Cpt. Phillips is a great rental.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Captain Phillips indeed was a great rental. Even though I knew what was going to happen, it was still a heck of a movie. I can't believe Tom Hanks wasn't nominated for best actor.

I'm 3 for 3 with movies this week. I just finished watching Prisoners after hearing someone recommend it on the radio. Very very good IMO. Excellent cast and an edge of your seat drama/thriller. I thought Hugh Jackman was pretty damn convincing in the role that he played.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

THIS IS THE END is on Starz this week. Very funny movie. On Netflix too.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

If anyone hasn't seen Dallas Buyers Club yet, it's now available on PPV.

Great flick with great performances by Mathew Mac and that dude from 30 Secs to Mars.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

JackB1 wrote:If anyone hasn't seen Dallas Buyers Club yet, it's now available on PPV.

Great flick with great performances by Mathew Mac and that dude from 30 Secs to Mars.
Very much looking forward to the Dallas Buyers Club. Might have to watch it this weekend. Thanks for the reminder!

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

good article if you are a fan of action movies. Especially from the 80s. I remember it was Sly vs Arnold yearly. Like in music it was MJ vs Prince.

http://grantland.com/features/the-actio ... ship-belt/

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

Just finished watching The Last Gladiators on Netflix Instant. It's a documentary on NHL enforcers, although it primarily follows the trials and tribulations of former Canadian's tough guy Chris Nilan. Very well made. Worth watching even if you aren't a hockey fan.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Finally got to see Django Unchained a few nights ago. Very entertaining flick, but Tarantino could have easily cut 30-45 minutes out and still had a great movie. We watched it in 2 "sittings" to make it easier.
I couldn't imagine sitting through that whole thing in a cramped movie theater seat.

Very stylish job by Tarantino as usual and you never quite know when to laugh or gasp in horror. He toes the line between serious drama and tongue-in-cheek like no one else. The guy who played the German dentist was brilliant, like he was in Inglorious Bastards. Why can't I ever remember his name? Anyway, definitely a great movie to rent and watch at your leisure on a nice comfy couch and some adult beverages of your choice :)

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG THANK YOU GOD!

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Found a nice little gem on netflix - Weekend of a Champion. Originally released in '72, it was re-released last year with some additional commentary with Jackie Stewart. A fantastic glimpse into the '71 Monaco GP, following Stewart from Thursday practice all the way through the post-race dinner. Tons of great race footage; while watching you'll just be amazed at how far F1 has come in terms of really everything (track design, car setup, safety, ...).

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

F308GTB wrote:Found a nice little gem on netflix - Weekend of a Champion. Originally released in '72, it was re-released last year with some additional commentary with Jackie Stewart. A fantastic glimpse into the '71 Monaco GP, following Stewart from Thursday practice all the way through the post-race dinner. Tons of great race footage; while watching you'll just be amazed at how far F1 has come in terms of really everything (track design, car setup, safety, ...).
This sounds MEGA. Thanks for the tip!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Watched "Bad Words" the other night.....Bad Movie. I found it quite unfunny compared to the trailer.

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

F308GTB wrote:Found a nice little gem on netflix - Weekend of a Champion. Originally released in '72, it was re-released last year with some additional commentary with Jackie Stewart. A fantastic glimpse into the '71 Monaco GP, following Stewart from Thursday practice all the way through the post-race dinner. Tons of great race footage; while watching you'll just be amazed at how far F1 has come in terms of really everything (track design, car setup, safety, ...).
I watched this tonight. Great little movie. Thanks for the tip!

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Rented Jersey Boys and absolutely loved it. Never saw the musical but the movie isn't a musical. I am a fan of the music of that era so that helped a lot too. But it was fun movie to watch w/ the family and had some funny moments as well. There is foul language but not too much. A bit of your typical Hollywood stereotyping of Italian-Americans but other than that, everything else was fine to watch with the family. BTW, the guy who played Lucky Luciano in Boardwalk Empire steals this movie.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Finally got around to watching American Sniper last weekend. Fantastic movie and gripping throughout. Very moving and unfortunately quite sad at the end. I'm sure I didn't spoil anything none of you already knew.

Tonight I gave up an evening of gaming and watched the Imitation Game. Another extraordinary movie and very well acted. And rather fitting based on today's Supreme Court ruling, I wonder how Churning's life would have been so incredibly different in today's society. Felt rather solemn but a movie everyone should watch. What a contribution this man made!

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Watched the Glen Campbell "I'll Be Me" documentary that I dvr'd from CNN the other night. It was very well done, humorous, inspirational, and of course emotional. Anyone who knows someone who has dementia or has unfortunately passed away from this awful disease will appreciate this documentary.

I grew up loving the song, "The Rhinestone Cowboy" as well as a couple of other Glen Campbell songs. For him to be able to continue to sing and strum that guitar all the while fighting Alzheimer's was nothing short of miraculous.

Check it out if you get the chance.