OT: New Foo

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: New Foo

Post by ScoopBrady »

Just a heads up that the new Foo Fighters album is out today. It's a double album called In Your Honor. 1 cd is rockin and the other is acoustic. I'm a big Dave Grohl fan and a big Foo Fighters fan and I dig this new one.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

I picked it up at Wal-Mart for $9.70. Regularly $14.99. Great deal on, from first listen, sounds like a great CD.

They were on Stern this morning. Sound like cool, down to earth dudes.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: New Foo

Post by JackB1 »

ScoopBrady wrote:Just a heads up that the new Foo Fighters album is out today. It's a double album called In Your Honor. 1 cd is rockin and the other is acoustic. I'm a big Dave Grohl fan and a big Foo Fighters fan and I dig this new one.
I will definitely be picking this one up. Big Foo fan!

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

I just picked the new System of a down cd for my gf.

I like them, but she loves them.

Bonus points for Javi :twisted:

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

I got it and like most double albums, there's about one album's worth of good material here. Still better than a lot of crap that's being released lately.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I downloaded it over the weekend. Nothing ground-breaking, but a good listen. If you like the Foos, you'll like this record.

But I think the record company really f*cked up with picking "Best of You" as the first radio single. It's one of the worst songs on the record.

P.S.: New White Stripes album is bad-ass. A really interesting, compelling listen.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

Stupid f'in copy protection. Bought the CD, can't rip it in my preferred format (variable rate MP3)... instead I have to use their LaunchCD.exe interface on the CDs to copy the songs, and it does it in 128kbps WMA format. At least I can listen to them on my work PC without having the CD here all the time (it will be in my car most of the time.)

Also picked up new System of a Down and one of their older ones "Toxicity".

spooky157
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by spooky157 »

"Best of You" seems like a song written for some ESPN sports video montage. I wouldn't be surprised to hear this at stadiums all the time. Makes me wonder if Gary Glitter wrote "Rock N' Roll Part 2" just for sporting events.

I picked up the Gorillaz album "Demon Days" and it's awesome. It isn't produced by the same guy who did their first album, which I loved, and it's definitely a little more electronic. And Damon Albarn from Blur is one of my faves as I have always preferred Blur to Oasis. Anyways, check out the new Gorillaz album if you get a chance.

countzero2k5
Mario Mendoza

Post by countzero2k5 »

Never been a big Foo Fighters fan. Just seems like all their music sounds the same. A lot like Nickelback in that respect.

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

James_E wrote:Stupid f'in copy protection. Bought the CD, can't rip it in my preferred format (variable rate MP3)... instead I have to use their LaunchCD.exe interface on the CDs to copy the songs, and it does it in 128kbps WMA format. At least I can listen to them on my work PC without having the CD here all the time (it will be in my car most of the time.)

Also picked up new System of a Down and one of their older ones "Toxicity".
I highly suguest you turn off the autorun feature for your cdrom drives and uninstall the copy procetcion driver this cd installed. There are a number of ways to get the raw mucic to your PC withouth using their copy protection interface... Try google.

On another note, this was the first CD I purchased for myself in over 5 years and due to the annoying yet feable copy protection it might be the last for another 5 years. The copy protection does nothing but annoy those who try to be legal and supportive of IP.

And on a third and final note... the accoustic side of the set is great.. I am still neutral on the harder CD. David Grohl is one talented MOFO.... I have a hard time thinking of another artist out there today that has the talent he has... Also makes me wonder who was the most talented musician in Nirvana...

BD

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

Grohl was easily the most talented "musician" in Nirvana.

Kurt Cobain was the best songwriter, and the heartfelt (if imperfect, but that's the charm) way he sang does more for me than Grohl's singing.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

James_E wrote:Grohl was easily the most talented "musician" in Nirvana.

Kurt Cobain was the best songwriter, and the heartfelt (if imperfect, but that's the charm) way he sang does more for me than Grohl's singing.
Agreed. Grohl is a fantastic musician, but his vocals have two tones: soft or scream.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

pk500 wrote:
James_E wrote:Grohl was easily the most talented "musician" in Nirvana.

Agreed. Grohl is a fantastic musician, but his vocals have two tones: soft or scream.

Take care,
PK
Plus, they overdub the hell out of him on the records. When you hear him live you can tell how limited his range is.

He is, however, one of the coolest guys in rock music. I'm not a huge Foo fan but wish more musicians had Grohl's attitude. He doesn't take himself too seriously and seems to genuinely have fun with what he does.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Indeed, Brando. Plus the Foos put on a superb live show. Saw them in 1998 in Indianapolis, and it was a hell of an entertaining show. Grohl is a compelling and funny front man because, as Brando said, he doesn't take himself seriously.

And this band really rips on stage. They play like it was the last gig of their lives.

Take care,
PK

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

Its turning out that the songs I liked the least at first on the acoustic side are the ones that I am enjoying the most now.

..... those would be Razor and Friend of a Friend.

Are there any amateur musicians out there?

I started trying to play both of these tonight. Neither of them are that hard to play with Friend of a Friend being the easiest since its basicly just 2 chords through out the whole song.

Friend of a Friend also reminds me of Something in the Way - the version on the Unplugged Ablum.

BD

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

bdunn13 wrote:
Are there any amateur musicians out there?

I started trying to play both of these tonight. Neither of them are that hard to play with Friend of a Friend being the easiest since its basicly just 2 chords through out the whole song.

BD
Yep, I play guitar (again after about 5 years off). Used to be in a band way back, played a few gigs, made a 3 song demo CD in the studio. Nothing crazy serious, and I was never that good. Also took piano lessons for a while in 99-2000.

Back to the guitar again these days. I'm in love with it all over again. Right now I only have an acoustic... got my eye on a Carvin CT6 or C66 electric. Will be placing an order next week probably. Then a Tech 21 amp at somepoint.

I'm very rusty. I'm taking lessons this time, trying to really learn the instrument rather than just play what I thought sounded good. I want to do it a bit more "properly" this time around.

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

Well, I went and checked out a Carvin CT3 owned by a guy who works near me. It is a beautiful piece of work, well crafted. However, it didn't give me that "holy crap" feeling.

Nothing I had tried up until now gave me the "holy crap" feeling. Alot of the guitars were "this is nice"... the Carvin CT3 was "wow this is a great instrument. Then...after lunch I just decided to go to the music store to see what Les Paul's feel like. Not thinking they would impress me all that much... I was dead wrong.

The wife has cleared it, it's a go. She wants me to just go for what I want now, rather than settling for something else now, and then buying another one anyway in a year, which ends up costing more money.

So after this past 3 weeks of reading Carvin boards, trying every brand I can get my mitts on... I'm getting a Les Paul Standard.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

James......I have a new Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quilt that I was about to put on Ebay. It is mint condition. PM me if you are interested. You can read about it here....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=g ... id/518353/

mine is transparant amber color (like a golden yellow.....really beautiful finnish)

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

James,

I am in the same boat now that you use to be in. I am not good enough yet to actualy be picky about what guitar I play.

My electric friend is one of those Stratocasters.. Its very cheap money wise, but to me its sounds fine.

A couple of years back I did borrow an accoustic from a neighbor of mine and I could tell it was a piece of crap. The sound was decent but the strings were so freaking far off the fretboard, it was too hard to play.

A few months ago I bought my first accoustic/electric... Its a Ibanez - did not cost too much and I like the sound - at least as much as I could like anything that I play :lol: