OT:Smart Phones

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT:Smart Phones

Post by Rodster »

The Honor 9X came in today, it's updating to Android 10 and this phone looks every bit as an $800 phone, easy. I got it in Emerald Green and it's one badass paintjob Huawei did on this phone. Now waiting for the arrival of the P4a from Amazon. I may just drive next week to Best Buy and pick one up but they also have pretty much sold thru their inventory.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I recently bought a P4a and damn, I got too used to larger phones. In some ways I really like it but it's a pretty narrow phone especially when you have to type on it.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:14 pm
I recently bought a P4a and damn, I got too used to larger phones. In some ways I really like it but it's a pretty narrow phone especially when you have to type on it.
Should have gotten the 4A 5G...quite a bit bigger. I'm using the Pixel 5 now and I love it...way smaller than most mainstream flagships. I hate the trend of huge phones. My last OnePlus 8 was pretty damn big so this thing feels miniscule.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:26 pm
Rodster wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:14 pm
Should have gotten the 4A 5G...quite a bit bigger. I'm using the Pixel 5 now and I love it...way smaller than most mainstream flagships. I hate the trend of huge phones. My last OnePlus 8 was pretty damn big so this thing feels miniscule.
I should have but got a bit impatient and since I bought it directly from Google that's an automatic $35 restocking fee regardless of the reason. There's always next year.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I went ahead and ordered a P4a 5G while it was on sale along with an overpriced $40 Google case for the phone. I also ordered a pair of Google Pixel Buds. I know AirPods are all the rage with an iPhone so I wanted to see if they are seamless with a Pixel phone as the AirPods are with an iPhone. I'm equally interested in SQ which several reviews say the Pixel Buds sound impressive. I hope they're $159 impressive. :P

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

double post

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The Pixel buds sound better than the airpod imo. The unfortunate part is I cannot get headphones of that shape/size to stay in my ears without some sort of wired support. I literally had to get custom monitors made last year so that I can actually wear buds at the gym. You'll be happy w/ how they work with Pixel phones (or any android phone for that matter)...literally the same as the airpods functionally...just sounding a little better.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:28 pm
The Pixel buds sound better than the airpod imo. The unfortunate part is I cannot get headphones of that shape/size to stay in my ears without some sort of wired support. I literally had to get custom monitors made last year so that I can actually wear buds at the gym. You'll be happy w/ how they work with Pixel phones (or any android phone for that matter)...literally the same as the airpods functionally...just sounding a little better.
Thanks DB, I just got confirmation that my order shipped and should arrive Monday the 21st. What's weird about Google and how they handle their orders is my previous order which I placed 5 days ago had an arrival of Jan 7-8. If I created an order on Dec 16th, I could have it by Dec 23rd and that order should now arrive 2 days earlier, smh.

I don't expect the G. Buds to sound like the Aukey's you recommended but i'm just looking for AirPod like integration. I've also seen some reviews on YT and the reviews said it's not ANC style buds. At first it was like, damn and the more I thought about, i'm actually looking forward to that type of buds so I can hear some outside noises while listening to music or talking on the phone. It's definitely different when you have buds in your ear and everything around you is closed out while talking on the phone. Also I read that Google added Bass Boost and EQ enhancements to the G. Buds which I presume is the Pixel Buds app which controls that.

Damn, three new phone purchases so far this year, an Honor 9X, P4a and now a P4a 5G. I'm getting like you :lol:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:07 pm
Damn, three new phone purchases so far this year, an Honor 9X, P4a and now a P4a 5G. I'm getting like you :lol:
I've only purchased three myself this year. 4XL last October doesn't count, Galaxy S20, Oneplus 8, Pixel 5. LOL...need another to pass me.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I got my care package from Google. The P4a 5G is definitely faster than the P4a, so no surprise but both phones offer a fluid and smooth experience. What is a surprise is that the larger screen doesn't make the phone that much bigger than the P4a. I'm definitely impressed with the Pixel Buds. The sound is really top notch even though these let outside noise in. I was expecting average sound and it's right up there with the Aukey's. I have a few service calls tomorrow so I plan on switching adaptive sound to see if they automatically adjust with outside noise.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Just switched to Verizon due to a big company discount. What do you guys think of the Pixel 5? I mainly care about battery life and a good screen.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I think DB said he has the Pixel 5 and he likes it. Some think it feels light and cheap but those are comments on other forums. I have the Pixel 4a and Pixel 4a 5G. I actually like both for different reasons. You might want to hit a nearby Best Buy and play with the phone. If I had to do it over again, out of the 3 choices I would have gone with the 4a 5G as my first choice. Performance wise both the 4a 5G and P5 are pretty close.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fsquid wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:45 pm
Just switched to Verizon due to a big company discount. What do you guys think of the Pixel 5? I mainly care about battery life and a good screen.
Pixel 5 has great battery life, a good, quality 90hz screen and one of the best cameras you can buy. It really is a no brainer phone. And it’s significantly smaller than most flagships currently. The processor can stutter on occasion, but that’s literally the only issue I have with it. They finally got a Pixel 100% right.

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

if you are on T-Mobile you can get the Pixel 4a 5g for $349 ($100 off).
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Anyone order the new Pixels? I'm trading in my P4a towards the Pixel 6.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:57 am
Of course I did.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:37 pm
Rodster wrote:
Of course I did.
Which model did you get?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:16 pm
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:37 pm
Rodster wrote:
Of course I did.
Which model did you get?
Regular Pixel 6 - the Pro is overpriced in comparison and I absolutely hate curved screens.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:22 pm

Regular Pixel 6 - the Pro is overpriced in comparison and I absolutely hate curved screens.
That's exactly what I got for all the same reasons. Everything's the same between the two phones with the exception of the upgraded camera and 120Hz display, right?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:38 pm
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:22 pm

That's exactly what I got for all the same reasons. Everything's the same between the two phones with the exception of the upgraded camera and 120Hz display, right?
Nope. 90hz on the regular and it’s missing one of those depth sensors on the camera. But the regular cameras are the same. 12gb ram versus 8gb as well. So there are differences just not 300 bucks worth.

Edit: I misread what you wrote. Yes you’re right. Haha.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The whole deal was made even sweeter with the free Pixel Buds even though I bought last yrs version but free is free. I also noticed that Google upped the trade in prices when they released the new phones. I was watching the YT video on the Google Live Translator and it was freakin amazing.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:48 am
The whole deal was made even sweeter with the free Pixel Buds even though I bought last yrs version but free is free. I also noticed that Google upped the trade in prices when they released the new phones. I was watching the YT video on the Google Live Translator and it was freakin amazing.
Samsung was the king of the trade in deals...so I think some companies are trying to get a little closer to their level. No one will ever be able to eat profit margins like Samsung, but they are damn sure gonna try.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I had a chance to briefly play with both display phones at Best Buy today. If you lay the Pixel 6 on top of the 6 Pro, they are damn near identical in size. The 6 Pro is about a half inch taller. The edge display on the 6 Pro gives you more screen. Neither phone feels cheap when you pick them up.

The scrolling on both phones felt identical to me. The 6 Pro did not feel any smoother than the Pixel 6, even though the P6 is 90Hz and the Pro is 120Hz. Honestly, it just reinforced I picked the right phone and saved $300 and got a free pair of Pixel Buds. The UK are lucky because supposedly they're getting Bose wireless buds. Lucky bastards.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:49 pm
I had a chance to briefly play with both display phones at Best Buy today. If you lay the Pixel 6 on top of the 6 Pro, they are damn near identical in size. The 6 Pro is about a half inch taller. The edge display on the 6 Pro gives you more screen. Neither phone feels cheap when you pick them up.

The scrolling on both phones felt identical to me. The 6 Pro did not feel any smoother than the Pixel 6, even though the P6 is 90Hz and the Pro is 120Hz. Honestly, it just reinforced I picked the right phone and saved $300 and got a free pair of Pixel Buds. The UK are lucky because supposedly they're getting Bose wireless buds. Lucky bastards.
If you can tell the difference between 90 and 120 then more power to you, but I can't. My old ass eyes are just accustomed to 90hz w/ the Pixel 5 last year. My S21 I'm using currently doesn't seem any different even tho it's 120hz. That said, I can't use my wife's Ipad (2020 iPad Air) after using my Pro (2019). The difference between 60 and 120 is ridiculous.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

No, no just the opposite. I could not tell the difference between the smoothness of either phone. They both felt the same. OTOH, i've read that the 6 Pro is using variable refresh rates so it can go down as low as 10Hz and as high as 120Hz to save the battery. So maybe it's possible when I was scrolling it wasn't running at 120Hz.