OT:Smart Phones

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT:Smart Phones

Post by fletcher21 »

I'd go for a note 8 over an s9+. Some other cheaper options to consider are the lg v30, OnePlus 5t, pixel 2xl or even the lg g6. I'm a fan of Samsung for sure, but they aren't the smoothest phones. Coming from a nexus, I'd go with one of these:

Pixel 2xl
Lg v30
OnePlus 5t

The 5t is by far the cheapest option. It's gsm only (T-Mobile and atnt plus their subsidiaries) Not sure what straight talk entails.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Thanks for the info Fletch. I'm considering the S9+ as Walmart has on their website $150 off if you purchase it in store. So that's $829-$150 = $679 for a new top of the line phone. My next choice would be the OnePlus 6T as supposedly it will release in the coming weeks and it should sport the new Snapdragon 845 chip. Just waiting to see what they charge for the phone. I have a Nexus 4 phone as a backup so I can wait for things to shake out but i'm so used to using a large phone now, a Nexus 4 seems tiny.

Edit: I found my phone :)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Well, I lost my Nexus 6 today, don't know how that was possible but I did. Now i'm looking at a new phone. Any recommendations? I need big and needs to work with Straight Talk so I was looking at the Galaxy S9+ which has a slightly bigger screen (6.2" vs 6") than my Nexus 6.

I don't know if there are cheaper options out there. I spent $200 for the Nexus 6 when Amazon had a clearance sale two years ago.
OnePlus 5T. 500 bucks and my favorite phone of the year. 550 if you want the 128gb. It's absolutely fantastic. Great ergonomics, near stock android, great camera and ridiculous battery life. Really can't go wrong with it.

6T won't be out till late June/July, per the usual release cycle for OnePlus. But if you found your phone, it's irrelevant. Tho it's still light years better than the Nexus 6. LOL.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I need a second phone for my business, any recommendations for a $200-250 android phone? I was looking at the Hauwei Mate SE and the budget Blu Vivo XL3 Plus. I rarely take pictures so a good or bad camera is a non issue.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:I need a second phone for my business, any recommendations for a $200-250 android phone? I was looking at the Hauwei Mate SE and the budget Blu Vivo XL3 Plus. I rarely take pictures so a good or bad camera is a non issue.
Mate SE and the new Moto G6...the SE is what my wife is using and she loves it.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Rodster wrote:Well, I lost my Nexus 6 today, don't know how that was possible but I did. Now i'm looking at a new phone. Any recommendations? I need big and needs to work with Straight Talk so I was looking at the Galaxy S9+ which has a slightly bigger screen (6.2" vs 6") than my Nexus 6.

I don't know if there are cheaper options out there. I spent $200 for the Nexus 6 when Amazon had a clearance sale two years ago.
Isn't there a service for tracking your phone by GPS?

And locking it so that nobody could wipe it without some cloud password?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Mate SE and the new Moto G6...the SE is what my wife is using and she loves it.
Thanks db, i've been eyeing the Mate SE for awhile and it's down in price for $229 on Amazon and has gotten good reviews. The Moto G6 on Amazon is a little pricier and the screen size is smaller 5.93 vs 5.7". I'm so used to a larger screen now.
wco81 wrote:Isn't there a service for tracking your phone by GPS?

And locking it so that nobody could wipe it without some cloud password?
I found it and posted a comment about that a page or two back. :)

I used the Google app "Find Device" and I was able to track it down although I did try the erase feature and it didn't work because I got Straight Talk to disable the phone prior to initiating the erase feature so because it was offline/out of service I don't think the phone ever saw that command.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Damn, I ordered it today and it shipped today with a delivery scheduled for tomorrow and I don't even have Prime. Oh and supposedly the phone comes with a free case and I forgot to mention the dual sim card feature so I may not need my Nexus 6.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Damn, I ordered it today and it shipped today with a delivery scheduled for tomorrow and I don't even have Prime. Oh and supposedly the phone comes with a free case and I forgot to mention the dual sim card feature so I may not need my Nexus 6.
Yeah it’s actually a pretty nice silicone case. It’s a legit awesome phone. I would have thought it would have been 400 not 250ish.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Out for delivery, looking forward to it.

Edit:
Slick ass phone, definitely doesn't look or feel like a $230 phone and the free silicone case feels quality as well. I have a question, can I use the same Google account on this second phone that's on my Nexus 6 whether it's on Straight Talk which the N6 is on or another carrier such as T-Mobile?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I fired up the phone and was greeted with an Amazon login screen, WTF geez. :lol:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Out for delivery, looking forward to it.

Edit:
Slick ass phone, definitely doesn't look or feel like a $230 phone and the free silicone case feels quality as well. I have a question, can I use the same Google account on this second phone that's on my Nexus 6 whether it's on Straight Talk which the N6 is on or another carrier such as T-Mobile?
Of course...you can be logged into as many devices as you want with one google account. You'll just get notifications on all of them.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Of course...you can be logged into as many devices as you want with one google account. You'll just get notifications on all of them.
I had to ask because I have two-step id on my Nexus 6 and whenever I tried setting up my Nexus 4, Google would not generate a code to my N6 to unlock it, never figured out why. But yeah, on the Mate SE I got a verification code to unlock my Google account.

This phone is utterly ridiculous for the price. It has that iPhone look and feel to it for a 3rd the price. And the fingerprint scanner works 100% of the time to turn on the screen. I don't know what DAC the Mate SE is using but it sounds damn clean when playing music. My N6 doesn't sound this good. Battery seems decent especially now that it's on Oreo.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Of course...you can be logged into as many devices as you want with one google account. You'll just get notifications on all of them.
I had to ask because I have two-step id on my Nexus 6 and whenever I tried setting up my Nexus 4, Google would not generate a code to my N6 to unlock it, never figured out why. But yeah, on the Mate SE I got a verification code to unlock my Google account.

This phone is utterly ridiculous for the price. It has that iPhone look and feel to it for a 3rd the price. And the fingerprint scanner works 100% of the time to turn on the screen. I don't know what DAC the Mate SE is using but it sounds damn clean when playing music. My N6 doesn't sound this good. Battery seems decent especially now that it's on Oreo.
These "budget" phones are the reason why basically any Verizon Android user I know has left Verizon for either T-Mobile or At&t. Being able to get ridiculous UNLOCKED phones like the Mate SE for 250 or less makes it so much more economical than sticking with Verizon and spending 800 bucks on a new Galaxy S9 or whatever. There are a lot of better ways to spend your money with all of the fantastic options out there.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Funny you mentioned Verizon because my buddy told me he and his wife are on the Verizon BYOP plan. I checked into it and it's only for CDMA phones so my Mate SE was out.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Verizon sucks. Cdma is out dated, and you miss out on cool phones like oneplus.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The One Plus 6 was released today and it has some really nice specs starting at $529 - $629. I still can’t figureout why the need to copycat Apples notch design and Apple now wants Samsung to pay $1 Billion for copyright infringments from 2012. The other companies copying Apple’s phones today makes what Samsung as irrelevant.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I was interested in Project Fi for my Hauwei Mate SE but I don't see it listed, sux ! :(

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Was perfectly happy with my limited edition Red OnePlus 5T...but a new OnePlus release got the best of me. Held out as long as I could...the 6 is on the way. The Red 5T is still almost worth 500 bucks because it's tougher to find, so that made the decision easy.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Thoughts on the new note 9? I can’t believe anyone needs a 512gb phone that also has expandable storage. $1250 is laughable. Phones are just getting absurd. I can afford $1250, but part of me would feel so ripped off doing it. If it offered 5g I might consider it, but it’s a no go for me this year even if I am very curious. There are so many good phones out now and coming soon, it’s crazy.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Not sure why anyone would spend over a grand on a phone...any phone.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I bought a $230 Huawei Mate SE and could not be happier. It’s a dual sim phone, nice FHD+ screen, FM radio. Looks and feels like an iPhone. I refuse to spend more than $300 for any phone and $1250 for any phone is an insane price. If this keeps up smartphone makers are going to push the price limits until the consumer says hell no, then they’re stuck with millions of unsold phones.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:I bought a $230 Huawei Mate SE and could not be happier. It’s a dual sim phone, nice FHD+ screen, FM radio. Looks and feels like an iPhone. I refuse to spend more than $300 for any phone and $1250 for any phone is an insane price. If this keeps up smartphone makers are going to push the price limits until the consumer says hell no, then they’re stuck with millions of unsold phones.
That's what I've got my wife on...she loves her's as well. Easy to upgrade each year if they continue to make it at that price. Sell the old one for 100 bucks and it's an easy impulse purchase. Not to mention if it's lost or broken. I recommend the hell out of that phone to anyone not on Verizon.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:That's what I've got my wife on...she loves her's as well. Easy to upgrade each year if they continue to make it at that price. Sell the old one for 100 bucks and it's an easy impulse purchase. Not to mention if it's lost or broken. I recommend the hell out of that phone to anyone not on Verizon.
With the current trade wars and sanctions, that's a tough call. Right now the US seems to be tightening the screws on Huawei and ZTE once again. But since I only replace my phone every 5-6 yrs it doesn't have a big impact on me. Currently my Nexus 6 is going on 3 yrs and i'll keep using it until the battery dies.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

f*** YOU Apple!!!

OP6T confirmed. Once my current 8 plus and s3 apple watch die, I'm out. Completely insulting what we heard today:

128gb option only available on "budget" lcd
512gb X Max is $1499 before taxes
No killer new features
Lcd model is a POS

The best deal going is the 7+ or 8+ in 256gb size. Again, f*** off apple. People will still pay it because they've been brain washed into only seeing the monthly payment and not the total price. I make decent money, but this much for a phone is insulting. I saw a v30 new in box on swappa for $375 the other day. 4x cheaper than an X Max 512 lol. Sad, really.