OT:Smart Phones

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Good deal only if you use a lot of minutes a month. I mean a lot considering that you're not getting 3G speeds.

iPhone plans are the same price but with like 400 minutes, 200 texts and unlimited data.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The MyTouch is tight...too bad T-Mobiles 3G service in the states is even worse than At&ts. I'll wait till the Motorola Android phone comes out...they say Q4 so in a few months hopefully.

http://phandroid.com/2009/04/29/motorol ... o-verizon/

That is absolutely the sickest looking phone I've seen in a long time and it'll be a good wait to introduce Android to big red. Obviously it's gonna look a little different since those are mock ups, but still. Gonna be sweet.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Loving my new Mytouch 3g...

Sweet-ass device indeed.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

My next phone, without a doubt (as mentioned two posts up, three months ago):

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/10/ ... d-preview/

Finally, and Android based Verizon phone...and turns out it's the best Android phone released yet. I cannot wait. Rumors have it dropping anywhere between 10/28/09 and 11/09/09.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Android 2.0 looks awsome.

I'm gonna be pissed if there isn't a updgrade from 1.6 (donut) to 2.0 for the MyTouch 3g.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

dbdynsty25 wrote:My next phone, without a doubt (as mentioned two posts up, three months ago):

Finally, and Android based Verizon phone...and turns out it's the best Android phone released yet. I cannot wait. Rumors have it dropping anywhere between 10/28/09 and 11/09/09.
That thing is fugly! Eye of the beholder I guess.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

macsomjrr wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:My next phone, without a doubt (as mentioned two posts up, three months ago):

I'm not in it for the fashion statement. The Dream/Hero/Desire/whatever, definitely look better, but they can't hold a candle to the Droid as far as horsepower and potential.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
macsomjrr wrote:

I'm not in it for the fashion statement. The Dream/Hero/Desire/whatever, definitely look better, but they can't hold a candle to the Droid as far as horsepower and potential.
That is true. I didn't think about all the high-end 3D gaming, movie and photo editing you'd be doing with it :D.

Why did they put those four buttons down at the bottom? Simple = Better IMO. Don't get me wrong if I didn't have AT&T I'd be all over this thing - Android 2.0 looks very nice.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Every year, these manufacturers are going to leapfrog themselves in horsepower. There's so much development going on in mobile SOCs -- way more than there is or ever was with PC CPUs -- that for the typical upgrade cycle, which is a year to 2 years, people will see a big jump in performance and feature sets.

The question is whether software will keep up. Right now, there's a gold-rush mentality to app. development. Everyone is getting in but it'll take awhile for the cream to rise to the top and the rest will drop off.

As the field thins, the innovation in software may slow down as well.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

wco81 wrote:Every year, these manufacturers are going to leapfrog themselves in horsepower. There's so much development going on in mobile SOCs -- way more than there is or ever was with PC CPUs -- that for the typical upgrade cycle, which is a year to 2 years, people will see a big jump in performance and feature sets.

The question is whether software will keep up. Right now, there's a gold-rush mentality to app. development. Everyone is getting in but it'll take awhile for the cream to rise to the top and the rest will drop off.

As the field thins, the innovation in software may slow down as well.
But where is the killer app that needs all that extra processing power? Games are about the only area that I can see it is needed (right now) and I haven't seen or heard anything about a must-have processor intensive game that could see me on a device. I'm sure I could come up with tons of examples of things I'd like to see but until I see or hear about a decent game then I just don't see the point. Other than nerd bragging rights of course.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Rumors have it dropping anywhere between 10/28/09 and 11/09/09.
Android commercial on TV last night stated "November".....

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

They're working on power but they're also working on power efficiency.

The speed increase between the 3G and 3GS improved usability. But you're right, they're working on things like 3D and 1080p video encoding and decoding.

Games are of course big sellers on the App. Store. However, you also have to keep in mind that some of these chips are planned for devices with 10-12 inch screens too.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

macsomjrr wrote:That is true. I didn't think about all the high-end 3D gaming, movie and photo editing you'd be doing with it :D.

Why did they put those four buttons down at the bottom? Simple = Better IMO. Don't get me wrong if I didn't have AT&T I'd be all over this thing - Android 2.0 looks very nice.
If you've seen how slow the rest of the android devices are, you'd appreciate the extra horsepower...I promise. It's not about gaming, or whatever, it's about having a device that doesn't lag when you try to flip through it quickly. Even the iPhone can't say that (though the GS is a big big improvement, yet it still can't run multiple apps at the same time).

And WCO is right...it's all about efficiency. If your phone is struggling to keep up with the things that are going on, it can be a power drain. Sure, faster processors can eat more power too, but if you're more efficient w/ the power, you can save it in places you need to. There's a reason why BGR stated that the Droid was the best Android phone to date as far as battery life goes.

Oh, and last time I checked...everyone's big erection over the iPhone are all the games/apps that are available for the thing. So obviously gaming is someone important. :)

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
macsomjrr wrote:That is true. I didn't think about all the high-end 3D gaming, movie and photo editing you'd be doing with it :D.

If you've seen how slow the rest of the android devices are, you'd appreciate the extra horsepower...I promise. It's not about gaming, or whatever, it's about having a device that doesn't lag when you try to flip through it quickly. Even the iPhone can't say that (though the GS is a big big improvement, yet it still can't run multiple apps at the same time).

And WCO is right...it's all about efficiency. If your phone is struggling to keep up with the things that are going on, it can be a power drain. Sure, faster processors can eat more power too, but if you're more efficient w/ the power, you can save it in places you need to. There's a reason why BGR stated that the Droid was the best Android phone to date as far as battery life goes.

Oh, and last time I checked...everyone's big erection over the iPhone are all the games/apps that are available for the thing. So obviously gaming is someone important. :)
I hear yah. The only problem with the gaming (and this is as an aside) on the iPhone and some of these other devices is that no matter how cool and flashy they look I just can't find anything that holds my interest longer than a few minutes. Plus the gameplay tends to be terrible in all the games I like to play (e.g. FIFA, Madden, racing titles). I guess that is the point though right - gaming on the go, on a bus, waiting in line at Wal-Mart, blah blah blah. It isn't supposed to engross you for hours and hours. I'd still love to see something like Football Manager or really good strategy game on the iPhone. Nothing yet IMO.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

But that's the way mobile gaming is evolving.

Instead of playing a console knockoff for hours, even some hardcore gamers are finding that playing in small bursts on a phone is fine, if it saves you from having to carry the DS or PSP.

Partly due to the fact that they would do their main gaming at home, on a console, and play these simple games on the phone to kill a little time.

Sony promised that people could play the PSP versions during the day and then sync up with the PS2 or PS3 version of the same game. But those kinds of games never materialized. The PSP games were standalone experiences.

So many "hardcore" gamers find that playing little bits of iPhone games is good enough to complement the gaming they do at home on consoles or PCs. Just about every gaming podcast includes discussion of iPhone games of the week.

Especially given the price disparity, Sony (and to the much lesser extent Nintendo because of their strong 1st-party games) has to justify why PSP games are worth several times iPhone games. They're deeper but for the price difference, you could sample several iPhone games for $40.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

November 6th...can't come soon enough.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/10/ ... h-for-199/

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Today is the day Verizon fans...Droid and Droid Eris, now available. Is it bad that I bought both?

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Today is the day Verizon fans...Droid and Droid Eris, now available. Is it bad that I bought both?
You've got two ears and two hands, so go for it.

I'm relying on you to find the best android apps. I got the Sprint HTC Hero a few weeks ago, which looks pretty similar to the Eris. I love the phone so far, it is my first smartphone but I feel like I'm not getting everything out of it that I could. In terms of the feel of the phone though it really is solid, I'm not so worried about breaking it like I was the Palm Pre that I tried for a couple of weeks.

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

I have had a g1 for while now.... and I have a few apps for sale on the google market... all these new phones just mean new customers for me. hopefully the os will continue to gain popularity
XBL: bdunn13
PSN: bdunn13

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

HipE wrote:I'm relying on you to find the best android apps. I got the Sprint HTC Hero a few weeks ago, which looks pretty similar to the Eris.
It's almost exactly the same phone as the Hero on Sprint. It's slightly thinner for some reason, but the specs are identical. I definitely like the size and the feel of the Eris better, but the power of the Droid is just what's keeping me confused. LOL. And yeah...the wife will take whichever one I don't want...so I've got a day or two to decide. :)

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Android probably has the best potential to attract development to compete with the App. Store because so many hardware manufacturers are signing up to take Android.

There's going to be a wide variance in hardware, not just in chipsets but things like resolution. How will apps. made for the first Android phones work on something like the Droid which has a much higher resolution?

It's good to see competition heating up. Pre looks dead, already discounting to $99. Nokia isn't going to give up nor is Microsoft. RIMM stock has been hammered recently, because they're still way behind in browsing and apps.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

If anyone else picked up a Droid...or is thinking of picking one up and is concerned about it not supporting multi-touch (pinch to zoom) in the browser, well, the Dolphin Browser has been released and it includes it. It's fantastic. Get it from the App Store.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:If anyone else picked up a Droid...or is thinking of picking one up and is concerned about it not supporting multi-touch (pinch to zoom) in the browser, well, the Dolphin Browser has been released and it includes it. It's fantastic. Get it from the App Store.
DB, I need a new phone in the worst way, and have Verizon.

How does the video recorder work in Droid?

Is it easy to transfer to Windows Movie Maker or burn directly to a DVD Recorder?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Piggy to tell you the truth, I have no idea. I haven't tried to transfer the video files, but I've read in a few spots that it saves them in 3GP format for easy upload to Youtube over WIFI (won't do it over 3G for some reason). I assume it would be fairly easy to convert the 3GP file to whatever format you want with something like Handbrake.

TheGamer2
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by TheGamer2 »

DB, you seem to be the man. I have a myTouch, why can I only watch YouTube videos?
XBL Gamertag: BHoward
PSN Id: BHoward1

http://community.2ksports.com/community/user/blogs.cfm?blogid=1010465