OT:Smart Phones

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT:Smart Phones

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:49 am
Calling all Smartphone aficionados and experts. I want to know if there is a huge gap between the Oneplus 7 Pro $499 and the Oneplus 8 $699? I kept putting my Huawei Mate SE in my back pocket and you can imagine what happened to it. That'll teach me not to put an aluminum phone in my rear pocket. :oops:

Also I couldn't find the info on Oneplus website but are their phones plastic or aluminum backing?
All glass. And there are better/cheaper options if you don't want to be in the 5-7 hundred dollar range. Pixel 4a literally is rumored to be released next week. 8/3

If you were going to buy something right this second.

<200 - Motorola G8 Power
<500 - Pixel 3a or 3a XL (recently discontinued but can still find them)
<700 - One Plus 8 or Pixel 4 XL
<1000 - One Plus 8 Pro or Galaxy S20+

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Thanks i'll wait to see what the 4a looks like. I do prefer vanilla Android.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Hopefully this Twitter feed is correct and the price is $349 which I have been reading about on several tech sites. The only thing is, I wish the screen on the 4a was a little bit bigger. Oh and maybe the 4a will go on sale this year $50-100 off for Google's BF Sale.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1289592300377538562

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Rodster wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:57 pm
Hopefully this Twitter feed is correct and the price is $349 which I have been reading about on several tech sites. The only thing is, I wish the screen on the 4a was a little bit bigger. Oh and maybe the 4a will go on sale this year $50-100 off for Google's BF Sale.

One Plus Nord with bigger screen:

https://www.theverge.com/21337235/onepl ... creen-oled

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

wco81 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:05 pm
Rodster wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:57 pm

One Plus Nord with bigger screen:

https://www.theverge.com/21337235/onepl ... creen-oled
Yeah that's a nice phone but according to the article, there's no plans for a full US release so they will be in limited supplies. I'm also looking at the new Moto G Power for $229 currently on Amazon which is a 6.4" phone. Just waiting for Google's official release of the Pixel 4a and whatever other phone they announce this Monday.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Don’t go for the G Power. It’s got the best battery life ever, but nothing else going for it. It’s basically a Toyota Prius where it dominates one thing, and the rest is sub par. I have a Moto g7 power (last years version) and it’s not worth it. The pixel 4a is an incredible value and has some solid specs and a great camera. For someone who wants a great deal, the best options are the pixel 4a or the $399 iPhone SE second gen. The pixel 4a is a phone I’m probably going to pick up as a second phone, it’s that good.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fletcher21 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:54 pm
Don’t go for the G Power. It’s got the best battery life ever, but nothing else going for it. It’s basically a Toyota Prius where it dominates one thing, and the rest is sub par. I have a Moto g7 power (last years version) and it’s not worth it. The pixel 4a is an incredible value and has some solid specs and a great camera. For someone who wants a great deal, the best options are the pixel 4a or the $399 iPhone SE second gen. The pixel 4a is a phone I’m probably going to pick up as a second phone, it’s that good.
The G8 Power is a quality phone. My dad got one with his new Google Fi line and he’s completely happy with it. That said, I wouldn’t get it over the 3A XL or the 4A when it comes out. A few dollars more for the Google Camera is worth it. Google phones notoriously have sub-par battery life so it all depends on what’s most important to you. I deal w/ the battery life on my 4XL because I want stock Android and the camera. Pick your spec importance and purchase accordingly.

At least Fletch is comparing and giving advice on phones he doesn’t have. ;)

And you can get a Nord for list price on eBay...so I wouldn’t let availability sway you, especially if you’re on AT&T, T-Mobile or Google Fi. Unlocked phones are a dime a dozen so the Nord will work fine on those services. And with a 5G chip (which the Pixel 4 XL doesn’t have, so it’s made me consider it).

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

The g power is a solid phone, but for a few bucks more the 4a is better in probably every way except for battery life. No big deal, since the g power literally has the best battery life of any smartphone ever made according to Toms Guide. Plus, it’s only going to get one more android update, while the pixel will see 3 versions of android (the one it comes with plus 2 more). You can also get a OnePlus 7 pro for a damn good price on swappa now days. There are a lot of options for $500 or less. I’m super interested in the new zenfone.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

A friend of mine bought the new Moto G Power for his wife and she loves it. She says battery life is insane, it's fast and the display is good and bright He may get one as well. I'm sitting on the sideline to see what Google makes official. On to DB's point, camera is a none factor for me as I average 2-3 pics a year and that's taking pics for work. Stock Android, screen size and battery life in that order are definitely important.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

It wasn't my perfect phone because of the screen size but I went ahead and ordered a P4a. It's been getting rave reviews for it's price point vs specs. The same reviewers that criticized Google for the P4 and P4XL have all basically said the P4a is a simple all around solid phone, that Google finally got it right this time. And from what i've heard and read from the YouTube reviewers, battery life is much better than the P4 and P4 XL .

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The P4 battery was sh*t...the XL is perfectly fine for my use. I'd much rather use the smaller P4 - but could rarely get through a day. So if the smaller 4A can do it (like the 3A before it), then it's all good and you'll enjoy the phone.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:51 am
The P4 battery was sh*t...the XL is perfectly fine for my use. I'd much rather use the smaller P4 - but could rarely get through a day. So if the smaller 4A can do it (like the 3A before it), then it's all good and you'll enjoy the phone.
A buddy of mine just texted me a link to the new Motorola Fusion Plus. Is the P4a still the better phone?

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/4/21354 ... -up-camera

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:22 pm
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:51 am
A buddy of mine just texted me a link to the new Motorola Fusion Plus. Is the P4a still the better phone?

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/4/21354 ... -up-camera
If taking good pictures isn't your main focus (haha, see what I did there), then yeah it's a great phone. However, the Pixel line of cameras will destroy anything Motorola puts out. Pretty sure they've never had an above average camera in any of their phones...ever.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The only thing that worries me about the Motorola phone is that it ONLY has 4GB of RAM but Europe and the Asia markets got 6GB, whereas the P4a has 6GB.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:33 pm
The G8 Power is a quality phone. My dad got one with his new Google Fi line and he’s completely happy with it
DB, you know your phones and I HOPE you realize the G8 Power is GSM (International) and the G Power is for the US market. I bought the G8 Power (Int'l) cause it was on sale on Amazon for $180 vs $230 for the G Power, specs look identical 14 MP camera for the G Power and 13 MP for the G8, same RAM and CPU. The camera is not a big deal for me but the battery and size of the screen is. That was one of my problems with the P4a, 5.8" screen. Based on the reviews the P4a battery is pretty solid.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:00 pm
dbdynsty25 wrote:
The G8 Power is a quality phone. My dad got one with his new Google Fi line and he’s completely happy with it
DB, you know your phones and I HOPE you realize the G8 Power is GSM (International) and the G Power is for the US market. I bought the G8 Power (Int'l) cause it was on sale on Amazon for $180 vs $230 for the G Power, specs look identical 14 MP camera for the G Power and 13 MP for the G8, same RAM and CPU. The camera is not a big deal for me but the battery and size of the screen is. That was one of my problems with the P4a, 5.8" screen. Based on the reviews the P4a battery is pretty solid.
Both are unlocked. Who gives an F? They are identical outside of .1 inches of screen real estate.

The G Power is 149 via Google right now. Should have went that way.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Just got the Moto G Power a little over a week ago. Really liking it so far mainly because the battery is a beast. Everything is much quicker and snappier than the G6 I had before, which it should be. I don't take a ton of pictures and videos, but what I have done looks good to me.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:14 pm
Rodster wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:00 pm
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Both are unlocked. Who gives an F? They are identical outside of .1 inches of screen real estate.

The G Power is 149 via Google right now. Should have went that way.
Thanks for the tip but that deal requires Fi and I use Mint Mobile $15 mo w/3GB of data and the service is beyond awesome in my area.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Maybe I got a defective Moto G8 Power but it didn't leave a good impression with me, junk phone. I sent it back for a refund and ordered a P4a on Amazon with a case and screen protectors.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:26 pm
Maybe I got a defective Moto G8 Power but it didn't leave a good impression with me, junk phone. I sent it back for a refund and ordered a P4a on Amazon with a case and screen protectors.
You are buying phones in the absolute lowest tier. What expectations do you have? They don’t make em like they did in the Mate SE days. But that’s also why they are now banned in the US from the google store. The 4a might be ok for you but still pretty budget.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Yup, i'm sold on Huawei. They make great phones, sound quality is off the charts. I found and ordered a new Honor 8X from a 3rd party seller on Amazon. The P4a still has a ship date of 2-4 wks so it'll give me a chance to try it. The Honor 8X has gotten rave reviews and likened to a phone 4x the price. A massive 6.5" screen with a massive battery sealed the deal for $189.99.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:12 pm
Yup, i'm sold on Huawei. They make great phones, sound quality is off the charts. I found and ordered a new Honor 8X from a 3rd party seller on Amazon. The P4a still has a ship date of 2-4 wks so it'll give me a chance to try it. The Honor 8X has gotten rave reviews and likened to a phone 4x the price. A massive 6.5" screen with a massive battery sealed the deal for $189.99.
Now the only problem is that you can't get google apps on it without rooting/exploiting it. They are banned in the states. So good luck?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:19 pm
Rodster wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:12 pm
Now the only problem is that you can't get google apps on it without rooting/exploiting it. They are banned in the states. So good luck?
From what I read the Honor 8X (2018) and Honor 9X were sold prior to the Trump ban. It only affects phones after the ban.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:26 pm
From what I read the Honor 8X (2018) and Honor 9X were sold prior to the Trump ban. It only affects phones after the ban.
Except you won't get app updates either. Soooo?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:31 pm
Rodster wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:26 pm
Except you won't get app updates either. Soooo?
I'm okay with that. The Mate SE didn't see any updates past Oreo but it did get app updates thru Google's App Store on a regular basis. I don't know if the Honor 8X is on Oreo or Pie. I'm still getting the P4a so the Honor 8X will be my backup phone.