OT:Smart Phones

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT:Smart Phones

Post by Rodster »

The smartphone market including Apple’s is pretty much at the saturation point. I refuse to spend anymore than $350 on a phone and I also have the money to buy what I want. I’m still rocking a Nexus 6 that I bought new for $200 and I recently purchased a Huawei phone that looks and feels like a $600 iPhone. It even has a built in FM radio.

But no surprise from the company that sells $6000 15” laptops and $10K iMacs. Fools gold.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Why do you need 512 GB on a phone?

They put Dolby Vision with the OLED screen.

People going to load them up with movies to watch on a 6" screen?

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

I’ll stick with my 6S Plus. I actually like having a Home Button and a headphone jack.
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

No plan to upgrade from my 8. Just got it earlier this year, and it's a great phone. Plus my employer paid for it and pays for my monthly service with Verizon. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Murph wrote:I’ll stick with my 6S Plus. I actually like having a Home Button and a headphone jack.

I upgraded from a 6S Plus to an 8 Plus last year.

Now the 8 Plus is $100 cheaper.

Last phone with home button and TouchID. No headphone jack though but it does come with the Lightning to audio adapter that now they're not including in this year's models.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

If anyone is looking to get a cheap unlocked phone that's fantastic (we've been talking about it in the last few threads), the Mate SE is on sale in gold for 191 via Amazon. Absolute steal at that price. Even at the regular price of 250 it's a steal.

https://www.amazon.com/Huawei-Mate-Fact ... uage=en_US

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:If anyone is looking to get a cheap unlocked phone that's fantastic (we've been talking about it in the last few threads), the Mate SE is on sale in gold for 191 via Amazon. Absolute steal at that price. Even at the regular price of 250 it's a steal.

https://www.amazon.com/Huawei-Mate-Fact ... uage=en_US
Great deal, I paid $229 a few months back. Good audio DAC.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

wco81 wrote:
Murph wrote:I’ll stick with my 6S Plus. I actually like having a Home Button and a headphone jack.

I upgraded from a 6S Plus to an 8 Plus last year.

Now the 8 Plus is $100 cheaper.

Last phone with home button and TouchID. No headphone jack though but it does come with the Lightning to audio adapter that now they're not including in this year's models.

I'll be getting an 8 Plus for my wife as soon as some good deals come around on BF or Cyber Monday.

As for myself, my Pixel 2 XL is still humming along and this years models,(other than adding wireless charging) don't seem like huge upgrades.

'

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I think Google is going to unveil new Pixels soon.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

wco81 wrote:I think Google is going to unveil new Pixels soon.
Way to go out on a limb...since they are having a Pixel event on October 9th in NYC. LOL.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/09/06/goog ... e-pixel-3/

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

New pixel phones are extremely overwhelming. I'm actually looking at the OnePlus 6t, but I believe the 7 will launch next spring and have 5g support plus the 7nm snapdragon 855. Could be worth the wait.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fletcher21 wrote:New pixel phones are extremely overwhelming. I'm actually looking at the OnePlus 6t, but I believe the 7 will launch next spring and have 5g support plus the 7nm snapdragon 855. Could be worth the wait.
Do you mean underwhelming? LOL.

I've already ordered my 3 (regular size)...OnePlus 6 is going the way of the dodo even tho it's probably my favorite phone ever. I just want a smaller phone.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Yeah, I meant underwhelming. For me a phone can't be big enough. I was going to buy the 6.9" mi max 3 for $3xx, but it has no American LTE bands.

Selling op6 on swappa? Did you already sell the v30?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fletcher21 wrote:Yeah, I meant underwhelming. For me a phone can't be big enough. I was going to buy the 6.9" mi max 3 for $3xx, but it has no American LTE bands.

Yeah V30's been gone for a while. OP6 will go on Swappa once the Pixel gets here. Tho I may hang on to it to make sure I like the smaller phone first.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Have any of you guys heard about or had experiences with mint mobile? They offer 2GB of data plans for $15 p/m. I thought it was just data but I went on their website and it mentions talk and text. You also have to buy your phone plans in bulk in order to save.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
fletcher21 wrote:Yeah, I meant underwhelming. For me a phone can't be big enough. I was going to buy the 6.9" mi max 3 for $3xx, but it has no American LTE bands.

Yeah V30's been gone for a while. OP6 will go on Swappa once the Pixel gets here. Tho I may hang on to it to make sure I like the smaller phone first.

Did you get the Pixel 3?

What's your take?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:

Did you get the Pixel 3?

What's your take?
LOVE it. Size is perfect, camera is so damn good and it's quick. Battery life is good. No real complaints except the price. Got 500 for my OPO 6, so cost me a little bit, but not too bad.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

For me, the smaller P3 is more compelling even thought is way overpriced IMO.

Last year the had some brief price drops for both the XL and the small P2, if they do that around Christmas i may go ahead an pull the trigger.

I am kinda worried how much screen real estate I'll be losing compared to my P2XL, but hopefully the more manageable size is worth it.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:For me, the smaller P3 is more compelling even thought is way overpriced IMO.

Last year the had some brief price drops for both the XL and the small P2, if they do that around Christmas i may go ahead an pull the trigger.

I am kinda worried how much screen real estate I'll be losing compared to my P2XL, but hopefully the more manageable size is worth it.

Welp, unsurprisingly, here come some Pixel 3/ Pixel 3XL price drops for Black Friday.

BOGO at 50% starting this Friday and $200 off the XL $150 for the smaller Pixel on Black Friday only.

https://9to5google.com/2018/11/14/googl ... y-pixel-3/

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Best Buy is offering a $100 gift card with purchase of the newly released Pixel 3a or 3a XL

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Best Buy is offering a $100 gift card with purchase of the newly released Pixel 3a or 3a XL
Virtually all carriers or stores have some sort of a deal. Direct from Google gets you 100 to their store too. Ordered a 3a for the wife, so I'll see how it works out. Should be here today.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:Best Buy is offering a $100 gift card with purchase of the newly released Pixel 3a or 3a XL
Virtually all carriers or stores have some sort of a deal. Direct from Google gets you 100 to their store too. Ordered a 3a for the wife, so I'll see how it works out. Should be here today.
That phone is a steal at that price but truthfully i'd prefer the BB gift card cause you aren't tied to Google's Play Store and in the past some of Google's GC's had an expiration date.

Post impressions when you guys get the phone. Supposedly from what i've read the Pixel 3a camera is better than the camera on the iPhone X and Xr.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Supposedly from what i've read the Pixel 3a camera is better than the camera on the iPhone X and Xr.
It's the same as what's in the more expensive Pixel 3, which yes, is better than any other camera out there aside from possibly the Mate 30 Pro (and that's debatable).

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Damn, I may be getting a Pixel 3a XL from BB. They are offering $60 trade in on my Nexus 6 which I bought for $199 four yrs ago. Now waiting for my carrier to tell me the process of switching my phone plan and number to the new Pixel.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

BB definitely has the best deal. They are offering the 3a or 3a XL phone for an additional $100 off if you activate at the store which are not contract plans and you still get a $100 gift card.