OT:Smart Phones

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT:Smart Phones

Post by fletcher21 »

V30 sounds like the best phone out right now.

Hifi dac
Amazing battery life
Decent price
Good specs
Available with no waiting months for it
Looks good and has solid build

I'd get one if I broke my s8+.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fletcher21 wrote:V30 sounds like the best phone out right now.

Hifi dac
Amazing battery life
Decent price
Good specs
Available with no waiting months for it
Looks good and has solid build

I'd get one if I broke my s8+.
Facts. My wife and I both rock V30s now.

Does everything well.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

So my switch to iOS is over.

For some reason I really missed Android UI/experience too much.

Still couldn't find a V30 (ATT wont ship to Puerto Rico at the moment either) down here so went a head and ordered the Pixel 2 XL.

Got here in a day (Fedex has been amazing in Puerto Rico after Maria, unlike UPS and USPS).

Glad to be back on "stock android".

No issues with the screen either, but I will be using that saturated mode as soon as I get the OTA.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:So my switch to iOS is over.

For some reason I really missed Android UI/experience too much.
Ah yes, the main reason I can't use an iPhone. Nothing wrong with them, just can't stand the lack of customization options. It's truly like using a phone from...well, the first gen iPhone. No innovation to that walled garden.

That said, it's fine on an iPad IMO...for some reason it doesn't bother me nearly as much as I always go back to an iPad even if I've got a legit Android tablet too. Oh well, one of each isn't a bad thing.

Enjoy the Pixel 2...and welcome back. :)

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

The Apple watch series 3 is the coolest tech gadget I've ever seen. The call quality from the watch itself is insane! I called my wife and had a 5 minute talk with her on her watch and I had no clue. Well worth the money! The iPhone x is also very impressive. IPhone users who have never experienced anything but an LCD iPhone screen are losing their minds over it lol.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

fletcher21 wrote:The Apple watch series 3 is the coolest tech gadget I've ever seen. The call quality from the watch itself is insane! I called my wife and had a 5 minute talk with her on her watch and I had no clue. Well worth the money! The iPhone x is also very impressive. IPhone users who have never experienced anything but an LCD iPhone screen are losing their minds over it lol.
I have had the Apple Watch since it released (currently have a series 2) and love it simply for notifications and workouts. I also love using it in the car for navigation. I have Apple CarPlay so Apple Maps comes up on my car’s touch screen. The watch will ‘tap’ you on the wrist when there is a turn coming up which helps me because I end up zoning out in the car half the time :).

I ended up getting the iPhone 8 Plus yesterday because I had to - I switched from AT&T over to Xfinity Mobile and my current iPhone won’t work with them. $45/month unlimited if you have Xfinity’s internet. No line fees, etc. You just pay for data. They use Verizon’s towers. I almost got the X but decided to wait on it. Saved a bit going with the 8+. I’ll get the next iteration in the fall. I ended up shaving $30 off my budget by going with Xfinity vs. AT&T...even with the monthly phone payment. I plan on paying the phone off at some point in the next 6 months anyways. Once I do that I’ll be paying less than $50/month for an unlimited plan.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Diablo25 wrote:
fletcher21 wrote:The Apple watch series 3 is the coolest tech gadget I've ever seen. The call quality from the watch itself is insane! I called my wife and had a 5 minute talk with her on her watch and I had no clue. Well worth the money! The iPhone x is also very impressive. IPhone users who have never experienced anything but an LCD iPhone screen are losing their minds over it lol.
I have had the Apple Watch since it released (currently have a series 2) and love it simply for notifications and workouts. I also love using it in the car for navigation. I have Apple CarPlay so Apple Maps comes up on my car’s touch screen. The watch will ‘tap’ you on the wrist when there is a turn coming up which helps me because I end up zoning out in the car half the time :).

I ended up getting the iPhone 8 Plus yesterday because I had to - I switched from AT&T over to Xfinity Mobile and my current iPhone won’t work with them. $45/month unlimited if you have Xfinity’s internet. No line fees, etc. You just pay for data. They use Verizon’s towers. I almost got the X but decided to wait on it. Saved a bit going with the 8+. I’ll get the next iteration in the fall. I ended up shaving $30 off my budget by going with Xfinity vs. AT&T...even with the monthly phone payment. I plan on paying the phone off at some point in the next 6 months anyways. Once I do that I’ll be paying less than $50/month for an unlimited plan.
Keep me posted on the 8 plus. I'm THIS close to buying one because I need a plus sized and don't wanna wait til next September. I'm mostly curious about real world battery life. Iphone batteries are so small compared to Android.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

fletcher21 wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:

Keep me posted on the 8 plus. I'm THIS close to buying one because I need a plus sized and don't wanna wait til next September. I'm mostly curious about real world battery life. Iphone batteries are so small compared to Android.
The review I watched yesterday said the 8+ battery life is very good. I have a battery case also so its not an issue for me.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Sold my s8+ for $500, and my moto z play for $250. I've still for a cracked screen s8, but that's the only Android in my possession right now.

I'm loving my 8 plus and really like the Apple way of doing things. The way it works with my Apple watch is a dream.

I think I'm gonna stay with Apple for a while now .
I miss a bunch of things from Android, but Apple is simple and easy so it's a nice change. No more nova, no more fast charging, no more micro sd cards, no more oled screen. Yet I'm still so happy.

Anyone else thinking about switching to Apple?

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Fast charging is available and the wireless mat is coming. Apple USB-c PD
Charger is expensive as is the usb-c to Lightning cables but so are other usb-c PD chargers now.

And the wireless charging mat won’t be cheap either.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

After close to a month with our iPhones, my wife and I are still thrilled. I'm not even missing qhd with my 8 plus. The X that my wife has is very cool, but a bit small for me.

Anyone following that iPhone battery issue? Seems weird that we can shoot in 4k and have amazing slow motion video yet they can't make a smartphone last a week on a charge like old flip phones and Nokia bricks did.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Very happy camper so far with the iPhone X. No issues really, just curious as to why at times the Wi-Fi button would switch off automatically. It happens randomly and when I try to switch it back on, it fights me off for a few tries.

For those that have older iPhones there’s some good news with the battery replacement.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.macworl ... m.amp.html

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Advances in battery chemistry are incremental, at best a few percent a year.

But they're still getting good improvements in processor die shrinks, image and video processing for the camera, etc.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

wco81 wrote:Advances in battery chemistry are incremental, at best a few percent a year.

But they're still getting good improvements in processor die shrinks, image and video processing for the camera, etc.
Battery is the last frontier of smart phones. The a11 is already faster than a MacBook pro from last year. 8+ and X shoot insane video. Pixel 2xl camera is nearly as good as some high end cameras. The razor phone has super high refresh screen. But the best battery life of any phone is maybe 2 days of heavy use. Lithium ion isn't good enough for these phones, but the alternatives are way too expensive.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

10spro wrote:Very happy camper so far with the iPhone X. No issues really, just curious as to why at times the Wi-Fi button would switch off automatically. It happens randomly and when I try to switch it back on, it fights me off for a few tries.

For those that have older iPhones there’s some good news with the battery replacement.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.macworl ... m.amp.html
Apple bamboozled millions of people with 6 and 6s into thinking they needed a new phone when all they needed was a new battery. How mad will people be who gave up their beloved 6s for a 7/8/x, only to find out all they needed was a $79 battery.

Apple announced they plan to release a software update in early 2018 to give us battery info. I'm guessing it'll show cycles and health again. Right now the only sure way to know is to talk to apple or use coconut battery on Mac. For those of us without a Mac, we have to go to apple or talk to them on the support page and get a diagnosis remotely.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fletcher21 wrote:https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.macworl ... m.amp.html

Apple bamboozled millions of people with 6 and 6s into thinking they needed a new phone when all they needed was a new battery. How mad will people be who gave up their beloved 6s for a 7/8/x, only to find out all they needed was a $79 battery.

How many of those mofos would have upgraded anyways? Quite a few, I bet.

Apple doesn't disclose its intentional slowdown of phones to save battery life. Google sells your personal information to advertisers. Pick your poison: There is no honorable, ethical tech company.
fletcher21 wrote:Apple announced they plan to release a software update in early 2018 to give us battery info. I'm guessing it'll show cycles and health again. Right now the only sure way to know is to talk to apple or use coconut battery on Mac. For those of us without a Mac, we have to go to apple or talk to them on the support page and get a diagnosis remotely.
False. Just download the free Battery Life app from Victor Robinson on iTunes to learn the strength and cycles of your battery:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battery ... 73053?mt=8

Or download the 99-cent Geekbench 4 app if you really want to go deep with battery information:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/geekben ... 70356?mt=8
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Thanks Paul. I already tried that app, but Apple has removed the ability to track cycles in iOS 11, unless I'm missing something?? Where do you see cycle count on battery life app? Everyone I've talked to says it was removed a generation or 2 ago.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fletcher21 wrote:Thanks Paul. I already tried that app, but Apple has removed the ability to track cycles in iOS 11, unless I'm missing something?? Where do you see cycle count on battery life app? Everyone I've talked to says it was removed a generation or 2 ago.
My aging eyes fail me. I thought it showed cycles. It does not.

I increased the speed of my 6s and extended its battery life by turning off a lot of dumb features on by default. I also cleared all photos and videos from my phone and stored them in Google Photo.

Phone feels much snappier now, and I miss none of the features I turned off.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

What did you do? I'm open to suggestions as this is my first iPhone. How do I send pics to Google photo? I have some stored in the 5gb iCloud that was provided. I don't take many, but my wife is constantly taking pics and videos with her 64gb X.

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

fletcher21 wrote:After close to a month with our iPhones, my wife and I are still thrilled. I'm not even missing qhd with my 8 plus. The X that my wife has is very cool, but a bit small for me.
The “rumor” is an iPhone X ‘Plus’ next year. That size will be right in my wheelhouse if true.
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

The rumor is 3 iPhone X. The current x, and X plus (6.5") and a cheaper x with an LCD screen.

I want one, but this 8 plus is amazing. Don't know if I NEED AMOLED like I thought I did. 8 plus and OnePlus both prove AMOLED isn't a must have. I rarely watch video on my phone, so super high resolution isn't that important. I so really love the X, it's just too small in my hand. I have normal sized hands, but I like a big phone.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fletcher21 wrote:The rumor is 3 iPhone X. The current x, and X plus (6.5") and a cheaper x with an LCD screen.

I want one, but this 8 plus is amazing. Don't know if I NEED AMOLED like I thought I did. 8 plus and OnePlus both prove AMOLED isn't a must have. I rarely watch video on my phone, so super high resolution isn't that important. I so really love the X, it's just too small in my hand. I have normal sized hands, but I like a big phone.
OLED has a few advantages over LCD...not just black blacks. Being able to just light up pixels on the screen instead of the whole screen makes it less battery intensive for always on displays which is a must have for me. I will never own another phone with an LCD screen because of it. Plus those black levels...

And we get it...you love your iPhone. The weekly update was due...thanks for chiming in.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Unless you're reading web pages or using apps. which light up most of the screen and has text in black. In that case, OLED consumes more battery.

Younger generations supposedly only watch video on their phones, nothing larger.

I'd be more tempted by OLED on an iPad than an iPhone, though that might make the iPad more expensive than it already is.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fletcher21 wrote:What did you do? I'm open to suggestions as this is my first iPhone. How do I send pics to Google photo? I have some stored in the 5gb iCloud that was provided. I don't take many, but my wife is constantly taking pics and videos with her 64gb X.
Google Photos automatically backs up your photos and videos to the Google cloud, with unlimited storage. You can view them or return them to your onboard photo library for use with social media, etc., instantly through the Google Photos app. Can't recommend it any more to save space on your phone.

Other battery- and CPU-saving tips:

1. Use automatic screen brightness. A lot of people have their phones set too brightly.

2. Cut down on notifications. Do you REALLY need every notification you receive?

3. Turn off "Hey, Siri." I never use Siri. And in the rare times I do, I just push the home button and then ask her questions. If you have "Hey, Siri" on, your phone always is listening for your voice in case you call for Siri hands-off. That burns battery.

4. Limit background app refresh. I limited background app refresh only for apps for which it's essential that they're current when running in the background, such as my work email and travel apps (flight delays, etc.)

5. Turn on Reduce Motion. It disables the stupid parallax effect of icons, which wastes battery.

6. Set your Auto-Lock to 30 seconds. It's the shortest amount of time to set on an iPhone before you phone goes to sleep, saving battery. With Touch ID to unlock phones, it's no longer the hassle it used to be when you had to enter your passcode every time to exit sleep mode.

7. Tighten up Location Services. Does my Nike Training Club app, which I use for workouts at home, need to know where I am? Hell, no. But you would be surprised how many apps track your location for no reason. That burns battery and CPU cycles.

8. Disable AirDrop. I never use it. YMMV.

9. Cut back on home screen widgets. I hardly ever use them, so I have reduced widgets to what I consider essentials.

10. Disable Siri Suggestions. I hardly use Siri for anything. I far prefer to just do a quick Google search through Safari. So I cut way back on the apps and files Siri searches when I make a query. Saves battery.

11. Disable iCloud functions. A ton of data from Apple's in-house apps are backed up on iCloud. I don't use many of them, including Mail, Health, Notes, etc. So I turn off iCloud backup of that data, saving CPU cycles and battery.

12. Use a simple, default Apple wallpaper. Custom wallpapers usually are high-res images that take space. Active wallpapers with moving images burn battery. I just use the custom, stock photo of the moon in the Apple wallpaper gallery.

Links for instructions on how to execute these tips:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/11-ways-to- ... th-ios-11/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/ho ... an-iphone/

https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/impr ... 1-0177756/

http://osxdaily.com/2017/10/06/ios-11-s ... rformance/

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/10/09 ... ry-ios-11/

Only a few of these tips create noticeable performance increases. But the effect is cumulative. Make as many of these tweaks as you can without crimping your use of the phone, and you'll notice a significant increase in performance and battery life, especially with older iPhones. If you're rocking a new 8, I doubt you have any performance or battery issues. I still would recommend Google Photos in a heartbeat, though.

Good luck.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Well, I lost my Nexus 6 today, don't know how that was possible but I did. Now i'm looking at a new phone. Any recommendations? I need big and needs to work with Straight Talk so I was looking at the Galaxy S9+ which has a slightly bigger screen (6.2" vs 6") than my Nexus 6.

I don't know if there are cheaper options out there. I spent $200 for the Nexus 6 when Amazon had a clearance sale two years ago.