OT:Smart Phones

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT:Smart Phones

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:BB definitely has the best deal. They are offering the 3a or 3a XL phone for an additional $100 off if you activate at the store which are not contract plans and you still get a $100 gift card.
A few phone retailers like T-Mobile are even offering some good terms if you do the pay as you go thing for the phone.

It doesn't really matter where you buy from, they are all giving you a deal. Target does the 100 gift card too. So just get it where you shop the most!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:BB definitely has the best deal. They are offering the 3a or 3a XL phone for an additional $100 off if you activate at the store which are not contract plans and you still get a $100 gift card.
A few phone retailers like T-Mobile are even offering some good terms if you do the pay as you go thing for the phone.

It doesn't really matter where you buy from, they are all giving you a deal. Target does the 100 gift card too. So just get it where you shop the most!
True but there's also the trade in phones you can do with BB and the $100 off by activating at their store. That's something Target doesn't do and i'm pretty sure T-Mobile would want some type of contract which i'm opposed to. I can never go back to contracts after saving so much money with pay as you go plans.

My Mint Mobile plan which is on the T-Mobile network works better in my area vs AT&T and I get 3GB of 4G data along with unlimited calls and text for $15 a month.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Rodster wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:

True but there's also the trade in phones you can do with BB and the $100 off by activating at their store. That's something Target doesn't do and i'm pretty sure T-Mobile would want some type of contract which i'm opposed to. I can never go back to contracts after saving so much money with pay as you go plans.

My Mint Mobile plan which is on the T-Mobile network works better in my area vs AT&T and I get 3GB of 4G data along with unlimited calls and text for $15 a month.
My wife has upgraded phones a few times,but I have stuck with my and her hand me down Nexus 5 for 6 years. Time for a new device, but cheap me will go with BH Photo and Video - no sales tax and the $100 gift card!

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

B&H is apparently going to start collecting sales taxes but they have some kind of rebate scheme they announced recently.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Any feedback if you guys have used the new Pixel 3a or XL? Best Buy has a kickass 1 day sale, $379 for the XL with a $100 gift card.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Wife's been using the 3A since it came out...she loves it. Outside of it being a touch slower than my regular 3...it's hard to not recommend it. Especially at that price.

Do you have a link for that sale...my dad needs an 3aXL.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Wow just read some complaints regarding the new Pixel 3a and XL's like display issues and bugs like random shutdowns in the phone. Glad your wife got a good one DB. The sale could be regional. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/google/goo ... 7476543972

Here's the article regarding display issues I came across: https://gadgetfeatures.com/fix-google-p ... y-problem/

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Really? You're worried about that?...EVERY phone has issues somewhere. I know 5 or 6 people that have bought them and all of them love them. If you get a bad one, exchange it. Pretty simple. Never had a single issue with any of the Pixel phones I've purchased. But they are electronics...every phone has issues.

And the best part of that horrible article you linked is that they use the Pixel 1 and 2 in some of the "shots" for the display issue. LOL. Come on man. You're smarter than that.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Yeah, i'm not up on my smartphones like you guys are, that's why I ask for your opinions. Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between Pixel phones as I have never owned one. My last Google phone was 4 yrs ago, Nexus 6 and most recently the Huawei Mate SE. So i'm definitely out of the smartphone loop.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Just get that Pixel 3a (or 3a XL)...you'll be happy. Especially at what is basically 279...a steal at that price. Camera alone is worth that!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Just get that Pixel 3a (or 3a XL)...you'll be happy. Especially at what is basically 279...a steal at that price. Camera alone is worth that!
Yeah, i'm seriously thinking about it, though I need to buy a plan to get it for $379.

jLp_VaKer0
Mario Mendoza

Post by jLp_VaKer0 »

Welp, after almost a decade, I’m back to the iPhone (iPhone 11). Really impressed how smooth the experience is, specially with Google apps.

Was skeptical about using FaceID, but wow, I really have no desire to ever use a fingerprint sensor again. (Can’t believe I just wrote that).

And the cameras are on point, after all this years using Pixels, I feel Apple has caught on. Got to love that 4K 60fps video.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

I’m not a Samsung guy anymore, but the upcoming galaxy s20 ultra is the most ridiculous phone on paper that has ever been created. The price will be high, but that’s just how it is now days. I personally plan to stick with my dependable iPhone 8+ and my pixel 3xl. Wouldn’t mind a 4xl or a OnePlus 7 pro, but I got a new in box 3xl for $360, so that works well for me. I think the upcoming 4a will be very hard to beat for those not willing to drop $1000+ on a phone. Rumor has it that the 4a will not be available in the xl size, which is a shame.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I don't follow phones like you smartphone aficionados. So I take it the Galaxy s20 is basically the Galaxy S11, they just changed the numerology? I like Samsung phones but the $1000+ for a smartphone regardless of who makes it is off putting and I have the expendable cash to buy one. My biggest complaint about Samsung is that it's not straight Android.

My Huawei Mate SE I purchased back in 2018 is not straight Android but it only cost $200. I am looking for a straight Android phone but the choices are limited unless I go with the budget Pixel or Motorola G series but the Moto's don't get updates after the first year. I've read the OnePlus phones are pretty close to stock Android.

My main defaults apps I need are Google Phone, Messages and Contacts. Google Maps doesn't count because that usually the default app on every phone including Gmail

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:I don't follow phones like you smartphone aficionados. So I take it the Galaxy s20 is basically the Galaxy S11, they just changed the numerology? I like Samsung phones but the $1000+ for a smartphone regardless of who makes it is off putting and I have the expendable cash to buy one. My biggest complaint about Samsung is that it's not straight Android.

My Huawei Mate SE I purchased back in 2018 is not straight Android but it only cost $200. I am looking for a straight Android phone but the choices are limited unless I go with the budget Pixel or Motorola G series but the Moto's don't get updates after the first year. I've read the OnePlus phones are pretty close to stock Android.

My main defaults apps I need are Google Phone, Messages and Contacts. Google Maps doesn't count because that usually the default app on every phone including Gmail
Your Huawei isn't getting updated either, keep in mind. There is a ban on Google working with Huawei currently and it doesn't appear to be ending anytime soon. At least with Motorola, you can spend a few hundred and it'll stay fairly updated, at least w/ the Google apps. Yes, OnePlus phones are virtually stock android with a few tweaks (like Motorola), but they start at 500 and go up from there now. They used to be budget...no longer the case.

The 3a/4a (when it comes out) will always be your best bet from a stock google standpoint...as well as getting timely updates. Spend the 300 bucks on a 3A now and you'll be happy for two plus years easily. And you'll have the best camera on the market (at least just a straight point and shoot, not all the wide angle, zoom type functionality).

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yes the Galaxy S20 is a dope phone. The S20+ is pointless and if you want a bigger phone, get the Ultra. But that all said the S20 regular is probably the better deal if you call a grand a good deal.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Okay, Google Maps is starting to really piss me off to the point I'm considering iOS. I searched online and could not find an answer. Perhaps you phone experts can provide answers.

1) GMaps defaults to Street Level when you pull up the address, minimize the app (doesn't matter if you have 5 apps open or none. If you go back to the Home Screen, settings, whatever, when you recall GMaps it's back to street level zoom...arrgh !

Nothing like driving in traffic trying to find a customers address with GPS tracking and I have to pinch to zoom out every time. I thought it was the Hauwei Mate, then I tried it with my Nexus 6, same thing. I even uninstalled the updates on my Hauwei phone and it still defaults to Street level zoom.

2) What's up with GMaps taking up a 1/4 of the page with a picture of the house with the hot buttons for directions etc? Please someone, make a 15" phone. :evil:

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Rod, it sounds like a dedicated Garmin would probably be better for your usage. I had one years ago and had zero complaints with it.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

fletcher21 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:31 pm
Rod, it sounds like a dedicated Garmin would probably be better for your usage. I had one years ago and had zero complaints with it.
Thanks for the idea but I have enough crap in my work car. I'm trying to declutter :)

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Rodster wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:36 pm
Okay, Google Maps is starting to really piss me off to the point I'm considering iOS. I searched online and could not find an answer. Perhaps you phone experts can provide answers.

1) GMaps defaults to Street Level when you pull up the address, minimize the app (doesn't matter if you have 5 apps open or none. If you go back to the Home Screen, settings, whatever, when you recall GMaps it's back to street level zoom...arrgh !

Nothing like driving in traffic trying to find a customers address with GPS tracking and I have to pinch to zoom out every time. I thought it was the Hauwei Mate, then I tried it with my Nexus 6, same thing. I even uninstalled the updates on my Hauwei phone and it still defaults to Street level zoom.

2) What's up with GMaps taking up a 1/4 of the page with a picture of the house with the hot buttons for directions etc? Please someone, make a 15" phone. :evil:
Are you talking about wanting it to be zoomed way out rather than zoomed in around your car?

Google Maps has always been this way.

I will occasionally zoom out to see the overall route and then tap Re-Center to zoom back in and see the distance until the next turn.

Apple Maps may zoom out and back in differently but then you're dealing with maybe inferior map data.

I don't think a Garmin is going to be any better. Last I saw, they tried to offer better processors and a multitouch screen with pinch zooming. Before that, you had to push buttons to zoom in and out.

Waze is suppose to give you the optimal route but its screen is so busy with what looks like ads for local places.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

wco81 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:57 pm
Are you talking about wanting it to be zoomed way out rather than zoomed in around your car?

Google Maps has always been this way.
That always wasn't the case at least with my Nexus 6 phone. I could pull up an address and yeah it would go to Street Level although not as zoomed in as it is now AND if I zoomed out, it stayed that way. With update after update that went away where now it always defaults to Street Level even if I turn off the screen.

I prefer GMaps as I know it's superior but holy hell, GMaps is just getting on my nerves. I almost swerved into another lane because I was trying to zoom out after the screen went off.

jLp_VaKer0
Mario Mendoza

Post by jLp_VaKer0 »

Rodster wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:08 pm

That always wasn't the case at least with my Nexus 6 phone. I could pull up an address and yeah it would go to Street Level although not as zoomed in as it is now AND if I zoomed out, it stayed that way. With update after update that went away where now it always defaults to Street Level even if I turn off the screen.

I prefer GMaps as I know it's superior but holy hell, GMaps is just getting on my nerves. I almost swerved into another lane because I was trying to zoom out after the screen went off.
Rod,

The device you use shouldn't affect or force any Gmaps view.

Have you tried installing Waze?

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

jLp_VaKer0 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:08 pm
Rodster wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:08 pm

Rod,

The device you use shouldn't affect or force any Gmaps view.

Have you tried installing Waze?
I always use Waze....it has saved me a ton of time around accidents and traffic.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I don't use directions. All I need is the address and I can find it on the map. I did a system reset on my trusty Nexus 6 and I did not update GMaps. Now the screen stays just the way I leave it, even if I switch apps or turn off the screen. If I install the latest Google Maps update, it zooms in to Street Level. So for now it looks like I'm back where I want to be albeit, if I use my Nexus 6.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Calling all Smartphone aficionados and experts. I want to know if there is a huge gap between the Oneplus 7 Pro $499 and the Oneplus 8 $699? I kept putting my Huawei Mate SE in my back pocket and you can imagine what happened to it. That'll teach me not to put an aluminum phone in my rear pocket. :oops:

Also I couldn't find the info on Oneplus website but are their phones plastic or aluminum backing?