OT:Smart Phones

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT:Smart Phones

Post by grtwhtsk »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
jLp vAkEr0 wrote:Some have starting ditching the headphone jack including Google of all people on the upcoming Pixel 2 (rumor).
Which is why I will not buy it. The V30 will be my next phone...without a doubt. That quad dac to power nice headphones, oh so enticing.
What phone are you using at the moment?

When will the V30 be available?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

grtwhtsk wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
jLp vAkEr0 wrote:Some have starting ditching the headphone jack including Google of all people on the upcoming Pixel 2 (rumor).
Which is why I will not buy it. The V30 will be my next phone...without a doubt. That quad dac to power nice headphones, oh so enticing.
What phone are you using at the moment?

When will the V30 be available?
Galaxy S8...V30 rumored to be mid October. Nothing concrete yet which is kind of annoying.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Pixel 2 and XL2 leaked today. Yawn.

Everyone was yawning last year with the boring design, and now it's just more of the same. There really is becoming less and less reasons to buy direct from Google unless you absolutely have to have stock android. I was THAT guy...but have seen the other side this year with all of the great design. S8, G6, V30, Essential Phone, etc.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Pixel 2 and XL2 leaked today. Yawn.

Everyone was yawning last year with the boring design, and now it's just more of the same. There really is becoming less and less reasons to buy direct from Google unless you absolutely have to have stock android. I was THAT guy...but have seen the other side this year with all of the great design. S8, G6, V30, Essential Phone, etc.
Agreed - Although I won't lie, the white with the black glass panel and orange button is kinda cool! (or ugly, can't decide).

Very glad I feel this way since my Note 8 arrived today. Loving it so far. The display is obviously the main attraction, but the pen features, edge features, etc..just take this phone to a level that Google is not reaching with their phones.

I also am "that guy" in terms of stock android, but it's pretty hard to discount hardware completely when there are really exciting phones like the ones you mentioned.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Anyone have a pre-order in for the iPhone X? I'm really curious about Apple, and I want one to switch it up. Not so much the X, since the form factor is too small. I am going to see what they come out with next year. An iPhone X Plus or whatever they call it would be ideal. I want the form factor of the 8 Plus, but more up to date screen. OLED or bust at this point. I also saw a video that says an 8 Plus takes something like 3H4M to charge. That is unacceptable. All phones can't have dash charge, but come on. Oh right, I can pay an extra $75-$100 for fast charge brick + cable lol.

The LG V30 looks awesome. Only thing holding me back from that is I am not a fan of the skin lg uses for android. I'm not a massive touchwiz fan either, but I'd take it over lg. Pixel Xl2 is interesting, but the squeeze feature means nothing to me. I wonder if Google will have enough stock this time around, now that they're using lg instead of htc?

I'd give my s8+ an 8/10. It does everything I need and more, but I guess I have Note 8/new-phone-envy pretty bad lol. I'm itching to buy an iPhone 8 plus just for the hell of it, but 64gb is way too small and 256gb is too expensive for what you get. Looks like I should hold out for 2018. Anyone who is using an older phone like an S6 or an IPhone 6 is in a great position to pick up something right now that will blow them away. I just think next year will be huge with Band 71 from TMO. Phones might also start including the fingerprint scanner built into the screen. I don't mind the s8+ fingerprint reader, but under the screen would be cool for unlocking the phone when it's sitting on my table.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Pixel 2 and XL2 leaked today. Yawn.

In my opinion, OxygenOS and Motorola's take on Android are good enough, even for stock android/touchwiz haters. Too bad the OP5 and Moto Z both look like 5 year old phones.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

What a snoozer today. I'm the biggest Google/Android honk there is and I wasn't impressed at all today. More of the same. Felt like an Apple event, a company just re-hashing the things they do well. ;)

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

dbdynsty25 wrote:What a snoozer today. I'm the biggest Google/Android honk there is and I wasn't impressed at all today. More of the same. Felt like an Apple event, a company just re-hashing the things they do well. ;)
Could it be we are getting to the point of diminishing returns with smartphones?

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

dbdynsty25 wrote:What a snoozer today. I'm the biggest Google/Android honk there is and I wasn't impressed at all today. More of the same. Felt like an Apple event, a company just re-hashing the things they do well. ;)
Feeling better about my choice to go with the Note, particularly after the rumors about Google killing the headphone jack turned out to be true.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I still can't believe that decision is going to work long-term for either Apple or Google.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

DivotMaker wrote:
Could it be we are getting to the point of diminishing returns with smartphones?
We are definitely getting to that point. Performance wise, you're gonna be happy no matter what you buy. There just needs to be some differentiation. That's really the reason I'm gravitating towards the V30...a high performance headphone jack! LOL.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The idea about diminishing returns on smartphone technology has been recently brought up and there is only so much you can do with a phone. Samsung is trying to up the ante with their Galaxy X foldable smartphone slated for next year.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

In the short term, phones are being positioned for AR, which may or may not take off.

But if it has the processing power to run AR effectively, phones may well be the way most people view AR content, rather than wearing HMDs.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Got my V30 yesterday and ordered my wife one with At&t's buy one get one free offer.

Completely impressed so far. The sound out of the quad DAC is as advertised. The main reason I got the phone. Impressive implementation.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Got my V30 yesterday and ordered my wife one with At&t's buy one get one free offer.

Completely impressed so far. The sound out of the quad DAC is as advertised. The main reason I got the phone. Impressive implementation.
No unlocked?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Got my V30 yesterday and ordered my wife one with At&t's buy one get one free offer.

No unlocked?
From the reports, very little difference and all the at&t stuff is already gone off my phone. They made it really easy to strip the crap.

Oh and saved 800 bucks. LOL.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

What a failure for Google on the new Pixels. Sounds like a huge number of the XL2 have multiple screen issues. A lot of people complained about the V30, but not to this extent. Anyone have one preordered? Sounds like Samsung won 2017 to me. Note 8 is goat, followed by the s8 series. V30 if you like audio.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fletcher21 wrote:What a failure for Google on the new Pixels. Sounds like a huge number of the XL2 have multiple screen issues. A lot of people complained about the V30, but not to this extent. Anyone have one preordered? Sounds like Samsung won 2017 to me. Note 8 is goat, followed by the s8 series. V30 if you like audio.
People are whiners. That's the end game here, especially Pixel/Google fanboys.

The reviews of uneven displays and stuff on the V30 are non-existent in most retail units. My two for example are perfect...so clearly there's a bad batch. Happens to everyone.

Samsung displays are obviously the best on the market, and the V30s cannot compete when side by side. Viewing angles, color reproduction, etc are just better. It's a fact. Saying the V30's is sh*t is just wrong. It's still in the top 1% of displays out there...only bested by the samsung sourced ones. The same situation with the Pixel 2XL which also sources LG displays...and actually mutes them even further with their srgb tweaking. I'm fairly certain that will be a toggle in an upcoming software update so the end user can decide which color gamut is used.

Now, the buzzing NFC chip on all Pixel 2s is a bigger issue IMO. That's not going to get fixed w/ software I don't think.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

I know that the typical stock android user is someone who is never satisfied and thinks every other phone is BLOAT, but check out the reviews online. Erica Griffen is someone who knows more about displays than most. If she says it's bad, it's bad. She loved the v30, but the Pixel is a let down for her. There is a lot to like when it comes to the Pixel XL2. She said she maybe got a bad batch, but this is definitely a wide spread problem. It's not a very small minority like the exploding batteries in the Note 8. I am interested to see if Google can fix any of this. LG is going to struggle to keep up with demand for the xl2. The fact Samsung makes the screen for the regular pixel 2 means it will probably be "safer", but it's small and the bezels are large.

If I needed a phone today I'd go note 8 first, followed by v30 and then maybe s8+ or iPhone 8+. Huawei Mate Pro 10 sounds cool, and there is an alleged OnePlus 5T in the works LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JjbMT_x6CM&t=386s

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

My Nexus 6p died during Maria, had to get an phone ASAP, shipping to the island was (is) f***ed up and all AT&T had down here where Galaxies and iPhones.

So, I decided to switch it up and went with an iPhone 8+.

As always, the switch from Android to iOS is painful the first 24/48 hours, but after that, it's been smooth sailing. Other than the notification system that's still GOD awful in iOS, there's really nothing I'm missing from Android. Google apps work flawlessly (some maybe a bit better even) on iOS and there isn't an app I need that it's not on iOS so we're good.

I enrolled on Att Next year so I'll revisit this a in a year.

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

If iPhones were my only choice, I’d chose 8 over X, mostly because I’d have a hard time justifying a grand on a phone.
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:My Nexus 6p died during Maria, had to get an phone ASAP, shipping to the island was (is) f***ed up and all AT&T had down here where Galaxies and iPhones.

So, I decided to switch it up and went with an iPhone 8+.

As always, the switch from Android to iOS is painful the first 24/48 hours, but after that, it's been smooth sailing. Other than the notification system that's still GOD awful in iOS, there's really nothing I'm missing from Android. Google apps work flawlessly (some maybe a bit better even) on iOS and there isn't an app I need that it's not on iOS so we're good.

I enrolled on Att Next year so I'll revisit this a in a year.
After switching back and fourth from iOS to Android multiple times - I've learned that as long as I keep my ecosystem more in-line with Google, I can switch pretty easily. And you're right - sometimes the iOS versions of Google apps are better. Interesting...
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Spooky wrote:And you're right - sometimes the iOS versions of Google apps are better. Interesting...
Which ones? Every app I use on my iPad is slower on iOS, especially when it comes to syncing. Gmail, Hangouts, Maps, Keep and Chrome specifically.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Murph wrote:If iPhones were my only choice, I’d chose 8 over X, mostly because I’d have a hard time justifying a grand on a phone.

I went for the 8 Plus.

If it had Touch ID through the screen, I might have bit.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Spooky wrote:And you're right - sometimes the iOS versions of Google apps are better. Interesting...
Which ones? Every app I use on my iPad is slower on iOS, especially when it comes to syncing. Gmail, Hangouts, Maps, Keep and Chrome specifically.
Never noticed a speed difference between phones. But I was mainly referring to features and UI. Google is known to add features to iOS versions first and have slightly better UI at times over their Android counterparts. It's not a huge difference but I've noticed it. They are probably using iOS as their testing environment prior to releasing in Android.

Nothing beats the overall integration of the Google apps on an Android though. That's for sure.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Murph wrote:If iPhones were my only choice, I’d chose 8 over X, mostly because I’d have a hard time justifying a grand on a phone.
I agree! My son pre-ordered the X and is picking it up on Friday. But he earned the money this past summer so he can do what he wants.

I do really like the look of the phone, but I'm not sold on the face scan. I also don't like how you have to slide your thumb up to get to the home screen after you do the face scan. There's little quirks like that which make me lean more towards the 8. All that said, I'm still rocking the 6 Plus and will be for quite a while.