OT:Smart Phones

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT:Smart Phones

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Don't you need to press the home button first (or the power button) before it recognizes the Touch ID? Meaning you can't just put your finger on the sensor w/ the screen off and get it to unlock. Like you can on most Android phones.
Settings/Accessibility/Home Button/Rest Finger to Open

It's off by default. Turn it on. That will allow you to unlock phone with just a positive Touch ID if you have Raise to Wake feature in iOS 10 enabled.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/14/ios-10-h ... nes-ipads/
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Don't you need to press the home button first (or the power button) before it recognizes the Touch ID? Meaning you can't just put your finger on the sensor w/ the screen off and get it to unlock. Like you can on most Android phones.

It's off by default. Turn it on. That will allow you to unlock phone with just a positive Touch ID if you have Raise to Wake feature in iOS 10 enabled.

Right, but if it's on your desk, that doesn't work. It needs to be moving, right? I don't have an iPhone to test it on obviously. LOL.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Db did you sell you op3 on swappa or hold onto it? I love my Samsungs but part of me misses the op3 ha

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fletcher21 wrote:Db did you sell you op3 on swappa or hold onto it? I love my Samsungs but part of me misses the op3 ha
I sold my original OP3 on Swappa. If I decide I'm sticking w/ the Pixel I'll let ya know, and give you a deal on my OP3T if you want. :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
pk500 wrote:

Right, but if it's on your desk, that doesn't work. It needs to be moving, right? I don't have an iPhone to test it on obviously. LOL.
Not sure. I still have it off. I don't mind the click -- it's all I know. :)

Follow-up: I just turned on Rest Finger To Open. Yes, you need to still pick up the phone. But no click needed. I'm too f*cking blind to see my phone without picking it up, so all is well. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
fletcher21 wrote:Db did you sell you op3 on swappa or hold onto it? I love my Samsungs but part of me misses the op3 ha
I sold my original OP3 on Swappa. If I decide I'm sticking w/ the Pixel I'll let ya know, and give you a deal on my OP3T if you want. :)
Let me know ya thanks man.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:Follow-up: I just turned on Rest Finger To Open. Yes, you need to still pick up the phone. But no click needed. I'm too f*cking blind to see my phone without picking it up, so all is well. :)
Yeah, figured. Not quite there yet Apple. :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
pk500 wrote:Follow-up: I just turned on Rest Finger To Open. Yes, you need to still pick up the phone. But no click needed. I'm too f*cking blind to see my phone without picking it up, so all is well. :)
To each their own. I farted around with my wife's S7 one night, and it was a smidge slower than my 6s. She has no apps on her phone and stores almost nothing, yet my 6s with about 50 apps and some stuff stored on it was more responsive.

I can live with a click of the home button if my phone is fast. Speed is one of the most important features for me. Plus I use a MacBook Air for my daily driver, and I like the seamless integration of the Mac and my phone. FaceTime also is clutch for talking with my kids when I'm on the road.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
To each their own. I farted around with my wife's S7 one night, and it was a smidge slower than my 6s. She has no apps on her phone and stores almost nothing, yet my 6s with about 50 apps and some stuff stored on it was more responsive.

I can live with a click of the home button if my phone is fast. Speed is one of the most important features for me. Plus I use a MacBook Air for my daily driver, and I like the seamless integration of the Mac and my phone. FaceTime also is clutch for talking with my kids when I'm on the road.
I think you're mistaking me for an Android fanboy or something.

My month old iPad Pro 9.7 and 13" Macbook Pro from 2015 beg to differ. ;)

I hate iPhones...Android is a much better phone OS due to customization and notifications. Other than that...Apple all the way. LOL.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

pk500 wrote:
jLp vAkEr0 wrote:I've been using a loaner iPhone 6 for almost a month as I wait for Huawei to fix/replace my Nexus 6P and man do I miss Android.

The notifications on iOS are just ridiculous and having to tap the home button again after "unlocking" the phone with my fingerprint? WTF?
You can adjust settings so the iPhone unlocks with Touch ID only. No click needed.
You're right, thx.
Last edited by jLp vAkEr0 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
pk500 wrote:
jLp vAkEr0 wrote:I've been using a loaner iPhone 6 for almost a month as I wait for Huawei to fix/replace my Nexus 6P and man do I miss Android.

The notifications on iOS are just ridiculous and having to tap the home button again after "unlocking" the phone with my fingerprint? WTF?
You can adjust settings so the iPhone unlocks with Touch ID only. No click needed.
Don't you need to press the home button first (or the power button) before it recognizes the Touch ID?
Unfortunately, yes.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Not true. You don't need to click the Home button to activate Touch ID if you have turned on the setting I mentioned above. But you do need to pick up your phone to activate it. You can't activate Touch ID when the phone is laying flat.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Well I just fixed one of my issues w/ the Pixel. An app called Ambi-Turner.

Allows you to tweak your ambient display. Which allows you to wave your hand over the device to wake it, like you can do on the OP3 (and a million other devices). This is big. It's supposed to be added officially in the next update that's pushed out, but this gives it to us now. For those of us who aren't fans of rear fingerprint readers...now we can unlock without pushing a button. Yes, still need to enter the pin/pattern but before I had to push the lock button first to do so. Stupid. Now it's usable at least on the desk!

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

pk500 wrote:Not true. You don't need to click the Home button to activate Touch ID if you have turned on the setting I mentioned above. But you do need to pick up your phone to activate it. You can't activate Touch ID when the phone is laying flat.
Great tip, thanks PK!

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Db did your s7 ever get hot? My wifes tmobile 820 s7 hasstarted to heat up after extended camera use? My op3 never once heated up. Hot phones suck lol

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fletcher21 wrote:Db did your s7 ever get hot? My wifes tmobile 820 s7 hasstarted to heat up after extended camera use? My op3 never once heated up. Hot phones suck lol
All phones heat up, especially glass and aluminum ones. They are dissipating the heat. Normal.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I know that no one gives a sh*t really...but ever since getting my 3T, I haven't even wanted to go back to the Pixel. I mean damn, the software on the Pixel is so good, but it's just so uninspiring hardware wise, it doesn't make me want to hold and use it (and caress and fondle). So who knows...probably will hang on to it for another week or so then flip it on Swappa or eBay...just don't feel all that excited to use it.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

This Moto G4 Play rocks. Thanks for the tip, db..
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Teal wrote:This Moto G4 Play rocks. Thanks for the tip, db..
Big big difference between that and the one you got previously from top to bottom. Glad you're happy now!

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I know that no one gives a sh*t really...but ever since getting my 3T, I haven't even wanted to go back to the Pixel. I mean damn, the software on the Pixel is so good, but it's just so uninspiring hardware wise, it doesn't make me want to hold and use it (and caress and fondle). So who knows...probably will hang on to it for another week or so then flip it on Swappa or eBay...just don't feel all that excited to use it.
$440 is a steal for the 3t. I know oneplus is small, but if they could get their phones into retail stores they would have a solid market share. Too many people either don't know what oneplus is or won't order a phone sight unseen. I already miss mine, even if my samsung is better in every way to me besides how breakable it is. Op4 could be incredible

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Finally received my replacement Nexus 6p and Hauwei went ahead and sent me a 64gb version (mine was 32gb).

Awesome!

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Okay, need some tech advice. For some reason, my G4 play doesn't "see" my car's Bluetooth. It'll connect to my headset though. What gives?
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Teal wrote:Okay, need some tech advice. For some reason, my G4 play doesn't "see" my car's Bluetooth. It'll connect to my headset though. What gives?
Impossible to do without being in front of your actual car looking at the screen. You probably have to stick your car in some sort of pairing mode to get it to work. I know on my IS350, it's a giant pain in the ass...it's like 10 steps just to get a phone paired.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

My 8 year old needed a tablet that was cheap and rugged. I got her an 11.6" rca with a detachable keyboard for $140. It is a pretty solid device. We have 2 ipads that blow the rca away, but for something she takes to school in her backpack it's solid. She immediately dripped it and it didn't Crack or scratch or anything.

Rca maven pro for anyone looking for a decently sized throwaway. It runs android 5.0, so hardly state of the art. The screen is nice, but no one would confuse it for an iPad or samsung tab.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

DB my s7e arrived today. One thing driving me nuts is I can't figure out how to make all the website background black with white text like on my op3. All this white is bugging me lol.

I downloaded a black theme bUT it's only for the home screen. Any way to make everything black background? Thanks