OT:Smart Phones

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT:Smart Phones

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Got three OnePlus One invites that expire in six days (01/01/15) so if anyone wants one, hit me up.

I still consider it the best phone on the market right now, all things considered. $350 bucks for a 64gb unlocked model.

Between it, my Nexus 6 and Moto X (2014), I've got the widest range of phones anywhere, lol.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

No s***.

They have sent me 9 invites in the last week and I got then 6\9 new sales from friends and relatives.

Seems like I'm working for OPO? :lol:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I have been using Android for the past 3-4 years while porting the HTC brand. The M8 is still damn sexy and I was thinking of switching back to Apple at the end of the year because they finally made bigger phones (and I do have other related Apple toys) but damn I may hold on to HTC, after seeing this concept of the M9.

http://androidheadlines.com/2015/02/htc ... esign.html

Also just got a message to upgrade to Lollipop 5.01 on my M8.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

The HTC One M8...good phone?
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Teal wrote:The HTC One M8...good phone?
I had the M7 which was my turning point from Apple to Android, and then when I saw the M8 cosmetically I thought it was the best phone I ever owned.

Still have it, and depending on your provider I am also using the latest software which is Lollipop 5.1.

HTC has improved a lot in terms of catching up with updates too. If you're due for a new phone the M9 is coming out next month, including rumors that a Windows version is also in the make.

Personally, I prefer HTC over Samsung.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yes...as long as you're talking about the Android version, not the Windows Phone one.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Yes...as long as you're talking about the Android version, not the Windows Phone one.
I'm talking about the phone. I'll not own the Android OS, ever, and it's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about hardware.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Teal wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
I'm talking about the phone. I'll not own the Android OS, ever, and it's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about hardware.
Hardware and software go hand in hand. Advantages on Android, are not advantages on WP. There are better WP options that aren't nearly as big.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Well, I love the WP software, so that's a moot point. I'm just asking about the phone itself. Not here to discuss perceived merits/demerits of this or that OS. I'm solid on WP. Just want to know how good the phone as a piece of hardware is.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I'm ready to upgrade, but I'm hoping that MS will announce some new flagships at the MWC in March...if not sooner. Our 920's are getting old...

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Well the camera is s***, the button placement is atrocious (top button power on a phone that tall is stupid) and the phone is slick/slippery as hell so you must use a case. Does that help w/ the physical traits?

The Nokias are much more well rounded.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Well the camera is s***, the button placement is atrocious (top button power on a phone that tall is stupid) and the phone is slick/slippery as hell so you must use a case. Does that help w/ the physical traits?

Yes. Thank you. Wasn't too hard, now, was it? :wink:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Teal wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Well the camera is s***, the button placement is atrocious (top button power on a phone that tall is stupid) and the phone is slick/slippery as hell so you must use a case. Does that help w/ the physical traits?

Yes. Thank you. Wasn't too hard, now, was it? :wink:
No but the point is that particular phone was designed for Android, which is why I specifically asked what version you were talking about. Throwing a new OS in a phone that can't utilize some of the features (a lot of the custom HTC software and tweaks for the duo cam particularly) makes it a worse buy than the Android equivalent. Much better WP options out there for the same price.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I wound up getting the Lumia 1520. That is a BEAST of a phone. LOVE it.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Could not go with a phone that big. I have the 1020, which has been fantastic.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Yeah, I had some reservations about going to a six inch screen, and the 1020 would have been a likely choice if I had access to it. But I'm glad I didn't. It still fits in my pocket (barely), but it's just such a leap from the 920, which I loved. I know the 1020 is a spectacular camera, too, but this one is awesome as well.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

My Galaxy S6 arrived yesterday. Wow. Impressive piece of hardware, that's for damn sure. Touchwiz slimmed down quite a bit so it's more responsive than my Note 4...which is shocking to me. The camera and the display are absolutely perfect. Zero issues with either. I've never been this excited about a phone...at least not since the Nexus 5. Crazy good. We'll see how the battery life stacks up...got used to the one in my Note 4 which is outstanding, so hopefully it came come semi-close (I don't expect it to equal it since it's quite a bit smaller).

So right now, if you need an Android phone, the S6 is where it's at. The new One M9 has a crap camera, so if that's important to you, skip that phone.

We'll see what LG has up their sleeves for the G4 at the end of the month. Their camera is going to be awesome per usual.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I hear the plastic is gone? Still using the M8 but I have a feeling that if I want the iwatch I may go back to Apple, if not the S6 for sure.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

dbdynsty25 wrote:My Galaxy S6 arrived yesterday. Wow. Impressive piece of hardware, that's for damn sure. Touchwiz slimmed down quite a bit so it's more responsive than my Note 4...which is shocking to me. The camera and the display are absolutely perfect. Zero issues with either. I've never been this excited about a phone...at least not since the Nexus 5. Crazy good. We'll see how the battery life stacks up...got used to the one in my Note 4 which is outstanding, so hopefully it came come semi-close (I don't expect it to equal it since it's quite a bit smaller).

So right now, if you need an Android phone, the S6 is where it's at. The new One M9 has a crap camera, so if that's important to you, skip that phone.

We'll see what LG has up their sleeves for the G4 at the end of the month. Their camera is going to be awesome per usual.
Im still on the S2.

Reads like its time to go S6.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:I hear the plastic is gone? Still using the M8 but I have a feeling that if I want the iwatch I may go back to Apple, if not the S6 for sure.
Yup. All gone. Metal and Gorilla Glass...as it should be.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

This review pretty much sums it up. You cannot go wrong with the S6 and I'm the last guy to recommend a Samsung phone. They finally got it right on the software front. Pair that with the awesome new build quality and you've got the best phone out right now.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/04/08/sa ... s6-review/

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

Only problem is the battery from what I read.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Darkbandit wrote:Only problem is the battery from what I read.
Average. Not any worse than any other phone out (M9/G3/X2/etc.) unless you get into phones like the Note 4, OnePlus One, etc. with the giant batteries. For the size, power, resolution...it's perfectly acceptable and lasts me the whole day no prob.

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

I went ahead and got one as well. Love how easy it was to transfer everything over from my iPhone. Also do like the SideSync where I can emulate the phone on the tablet.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Fellas.

I'm thinking about moving from iphone to Android and have a question. My wife did this last year and has been unable to send our kids text messages (they have ipods) and cannot send images via text either. Is this a common problem when moving out of the Apple ecosystem? Is there a way to avoid this? Any other tips in regards to moving from Apple to Android? I'd like to continue to use my Straight Talk sim that I have in my iPhone now.. assuming that's possible.

Many thanks.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected