OT:Smart Phones

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT:Smart Phones

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Well after a week with the G3, I'm convinced its the best phone on the market right now. Ridiculously fast, the best camera I've ever used in a mobile phone (and yes I've got an iPhone 5S in house as well), and the 5.5" screen in a 5" form factor is so comfortable to hold and look at. Knock on/off makes the buttons on the back a non-issue.

The screen def. isn't the best I've seen, as that crown goes to the S5 because of the viewing angles and saturation. Obviously the screen resolution is great and text is ultra sharp, but the quality just isn't as good as the S5 or M8. So clearly resolution isn't everything.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Knock on/off makes the buttons on the back a non-issue.
I tell everyone this is the same with my G2, but nobody ever believes me unless they live with it for a few days.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

RobVarak wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Knock on/off makes the buttons on the back a non-issue.
I tell everyone this is the same with my G2, but nobody ever believes me unless they live with it for a few days.
Yeah. Ever since HTC and LG started doing knock on...power buttons are fairly meaningless from a usability standpoint. The volume buttons just sit right where your fingers sit when you're on the phone as well. The only problem is when you're consuming media...having to pick up the phone is annoying sometimes instead of hitting the side to adjust the volume.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

I think I'm ready for the jump to a phablet sized phone.

Note 4? iPhone 6+? G3?

Maybe the next Nexus gets to 5.5"?

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

G3 still the best out there amongst you cats? contract is up, so looking to upgrade my phone. I did like how the G3 felt when playing with it a month ago.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

fsquid wrote:G3 still the best out there amongst you cats? contract is up, so looking to upgrade my phone. I did like how the G3 felt when playing with it a month ago.

I freaking love mine. The G2 was nice, but the larger G3 form factor and screen just blow it away.

That's not much of an answer of course, but we have an S5 in the house too and nobody here doesn't think the LG just smokes the S5 in almost every way.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

RobVarak wrote:
fsquid wrote:G3 still the best out there amongst you cats? contract is up, so looking to upgrade my phone. I did like how the G3 felt when playing with it a month ago.

I freaking love mine. The G2 was nice, but the larger G3 form factor and screen just blow it away.

That's not much of an answer of course, but we have an S5 in the house too and nobody here doesn't think the LG just smokes the S5 in almost every way.
good to know. I have a S3 now and was just going to go for the S5 before reading the last few pages in this thread.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Probably...but just wait a few weeks.

Note 4, Nexus 6 (or whatever they name it), etc. should be available.

I've got a new Moto X, a Galaxy Alpha (4.7" screen w/ GS5 specs but WAY better design) and I've got a OnePlus One being delivered today (5.5" screen, competes w/ the G3). So...I'll have a better idea tonight/tomorrow if that thing pans out.

I personally think the new Moto X is probably better than the G3, from a software standpoint especially. Mostly stock android with some really nice additions. The overall package is nicer I think. However, if a good camera is your first priority, the G3 can't be beat...and likely won't be beat anytime soon (unless you go iPhone 6+).

Oh, and who's your provider? That will qualify this next statement: you should NEVER sign a contract and subsidize a phone, it almost always costs you more in the long run, plus you're locked into a provider.

This is especially important on networks such as At&t and T-Mobile. You can buy top of the line phones w/ great specs for under 400 bucks. The cutoff is usually around 550-600 before you see subsidized phones evening out cost-wise.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I go with AT&T with my company reimbursing me each month for the bill.

CAmera isn't huge for me. I like a nice screen for video playback and quick switching between applications. Not a fan of my wife's Iphone, like the android system.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Then you should wait to see what the next Nexus brings. Unlocked and off contract is the way to go. You can still get reimbursed. :)

I think the OnePlus will be perfect if video playback is important. 5.5" screen and $350 for an unlocked 64gb model. I'll have a few invites to give out soon since I just bought mine. Watch a few YouTube's on it...nearly everyone loves theirs assuming they want the bigger form factor which it seems like you're cool with.

That said...if you want an on contract phone. G3 or Moto X are the best bets at this moment.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Then you should wait to see what the next Nexus brings. Unlocked and off contract is the way to go. You can still get reimbursed. :)

I think the OnePlus will be perfect if video playback is important. 5.5" screen and $350 for an unlocked 64gb model. I'll have a few invites to give out soon since I just bought mine. Watch a few YouTube's on it...nearly everyone loves theirs assuming they want the bigger form factor which it seems like you're cool with.

That said...if you want an on contract phone. G3 or Moto X are the best bets at this moment.

DB, I'll take one of those invites out of your hands if you feel like sharing. :D

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:DB, I'll take one of those invites out of your hands if you feel like sharing. :D
We'll see how many I get. I've got three spoken for at this moment and I think that's how many I get. :)

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
jLp vAkEr0 wrote:DB, I'll take one of those invites out of your hands if you feel like sharing. :D
We'll see how many I get. I've got three spoken for at this moment and I think that's how many I get. :)

Ugh...

I had the chance to play around the OnePlus yesterday. It really is a beast of a phone and the 5.5 screen is just perfect.

Oh well.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:I had the chance to play around the OnePlus yesterday. It really is a beast of a phone and the 5.5 screen is just perfect.
It's F'N fantastic. Been playing with it for the past few hours...it's definitely a beast. Quite a bit faster than the G3 so far. We'll see once I get it loaded up with apps and music tho. The lower res screen (which is still 1080p and looks quite a bit more accurate than the G3 screen) and lack of a horrible LG skin reduces a lot of the graphical overhead. This thing is probably the smoothest phone I've ever used. The new Moto X is a close second. Camera still rules supreme on the G3 tho...it's an absolutely spectacular smartphone camera.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I'm curious, where can you play around with it if it is only available by invite?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fsquid wrote:I'm curious, where can you play around with it if it is only available by invite?
More than one person in the world owns the phone. I'm not THAT special. Javy probably knows someone with it.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Actually I know 2 persons that have it.

Neither have invites to give so they're useless to me. :lol:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Okay...smartphone update for anyone who cares.

I've now picked up a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact as well...to go head to head with my Galaxy Alpha in the small form factor shootout. The Galaxy Alpha, with it's better in hand feel has already been returned to Best Buy. Touchwiz just destroys an absolutely fantastic phone from an ergonomic and size point of view. The Z3 Compact feels good in the hand as well, but it's a bit slippery with the glass back. The sides are grippy...but just holding it with your fingertips and typing is a little challenging sometimes. A skin of some sort is in order. From a software and speed point of view, the Z3 Compact just murders the Alpha...better battery life and a better camera as well. It really was a blowout in the head to head shootout. Oh, and it's waterproof. It's the perfect running/gym companion IMO...which is why I'm keeping it around to go along with my OnePlus One.

The rub with the Z3 Compact is that it's not available in the US yet. I imported one. Works great w/ all USA GSM providers (AT&T and T-MOBILE) as it has all of the correct LTE Bands.

In other news...I now have a Moto X (2014) that is being returned as well. The OnePlus One is just a better overall experience. It feels better in the hand even tho it's bigger. It's grippy and balanced with the sandstone back/sides. The camera is better and the screen is WAY better. I hate warm (yellow) screens...and the OLED screen Motorola uses is just terrible in that regard. The Alpha/GS5 who both use the same tech have figured out a way to balance that yellow tint...Motorola hasn't (it was a problem on last years X as well). The OnePlus, while not perfect (a few small bugs here and there) is a highly customizable and enjoyable experience. Cyanogenmod has come a long way and it's a damn fine full fledged Android developer. Stock Android with a ton of customizing available IF you want it. You're not stuck with what Samsung/HTC/LG think is a good version of Android. You can basically design your own. Its the perfect tinkerer phone. And the battery life is truly epic. I thought the G3 and the M8 were good...but this one beats em by about 25%. No idea how they do it.

If you can get the OnePlus One...do it. It's that good.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

DB,

Would love a One+ to be the Android companion to my iPhone 6 Plus, but the invite (soon to be pre-order) system is frustrating. By the time I could get my hands on the One, it will be time for the One+ Two.

They really messed up by making sure to market their flagship killer in the press without being able to satisfy market demand.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Sport73 wrote:DB,

Would love a One+ to be the Android companion to my iPhone 6 Plus, but the invite (soon to be pre-order) system is frustrating. By the time I could get my hands on the One, it will be time for the One+ Two.

They really messed up by making sure to market their flagship killer in the press without being able to satisfy market demand.
It certainly won't be replicated in the future...but if you think of it from their standpoint...you just can't go into mass production like someone like Samsung/LG/HTC/Apple can. If you don't catch on and people don't care, your company is done.

They certainly shouldn't STILL be on the invite system. I see why they did it in the first month or two, but it's been six months now. I was lucky enough to get an invite but I still haven't gotten my invites to hand out. So it's weird. However if you really want one...you can get invites on eBay for around 15 to 20 bucks. Given the price of the phone, it still makes it ridiculously affordable. Compare the 64gb OnePlus One to the 64gb iPhone 6+...holy crap. $349 vs $849...that's just bonkers. If that's what they were talking about when they called it the "Flagship Killer" I can completely agree. But from a specs/performance standpoint, it simply competes. Every phone has it's pluses and minuses...just gotta figure out what's most important to you individually.

So if you want one bad enough Sport...just pay the 20 bucks and get an invite from eBay. I wish I had thought of that six months ago.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
So if you want one bad enough Sport...just pay the 20 bucks and get an invite from eBay. I wish I had thought of that six months ago.
You think those ebay invites can be trusted? Just not sure about paying even $20 for something that doesn't get me a phone.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Sport73 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
You think those ebay invites can be trusted? Just not sure about paying even $20 for something that doesn't get me a phone.
I think so. Find a trusted seller obviously. Look at their feedback to see what they are selling...all that stuff. I wouldn't worry about it that much. eBay is all about minimizing risk...haha. I've got 60K worth of sales overall since 2001 and I've bought a ton of stuff too (unlocked phones like the Z3 Compact I talked about above) and as long as you're diligent, you'll be fine. I've only been screwed once and didn't get reimbursed. Paypal almost ALWAYS sides with the buyer, so you'll be protected in this case.

For example...this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OnePlus-One-64G ... 234289440f

Only 10 bucks. Has sold a few before. Sells authentic jordans too which is a huge fake market...and he/she seems legit. Small risk.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Scott,

What bugs have you encountered with the OPO?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:Scott,

Not even bugs. App compatibility has been all I've seen so far.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
jLp vAkEr0 wrote:Scott,

Not even bugs. App compatibility has been all I've seen so far.
Any of the popular apps?