OT:Smart Phones

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT:Smart Phones

Post by Rodster »

10s, that's one badass looking cellphone, congrats. 8O

I'm going to see if I can get that to work on Walmart's Straight Talk network. I see that it's on AT&T's service. Hopefully I can get an AT&T card to put it on their service. I was told that the Nexus 4 will work on the Straight Talk network.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Rodster wrote:10s, that's one badass looking cellphone, congrats. 8O

I'm going to see if I can get that to work on Walmart's Straight Talk network. I see that it's on AT&T's service. Hopefully I can get an AT&T card to put it on their service. I was told that the Nexus 4 will work on the Straight Talk network.
I kept postponing my introduction to the Android world and frankly I was going to get the Samsung 4 this year. But when I saw the HTC One, I just had to get it. Apparently the back aluminum finish is much better than the plasticky Samsung, although the latter may have more features. Not sure. But if you're up for an upgrade, the phone is damn sexy.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:Well, I finally took the plunge to the Android world personally after many years of iPhones. I usually buy my phones unlocked because of my overseas travels so I haven't really upgraded my plan with Rogers for about a decade. But when I saw the new HTC One, I said to myself 'This is it'.

Gorgeous display, love the interface and that beat sound feature surely has some pop in it. It's not too big, not small, so far I am quite content. I did find that on some games or apps, the Iphone 5 was sharper and quicker when opening up as I encountered some crushes on the same apps for the Android.

Just have to learn a few more things, but overall I am quite impressed with the One.
Coulda always bought the developer edition of the ONE and had the unlocked version. ;) Nice phone...that's for damn sure. Good upgrade!

My wife is eligible in August and will likely be getting the ONE on At&t...unless she decides she likes the GS4 or whatever the Galaxy S Mini turns out to be. Or hell, the smaller HTC One (whatever they call it). LOL...it's a damn good time to be an Android user.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
10spro wrote:Well, I finally took the plunge to the Android world personally after many years of iPhones. I usually buy my phones unlocked because of my overseas travels so I haven't really upgraded my plan with Rogers for about a decade. But when I saw the new HTC One, I said to myself 'This is it'.

Gorgeous display, love the interface and that beat sound feature surely has some pop in it. It's not too big, not small, so far I am quite content. I did find that on some games or apps, the Iphone 5 was sharper and quicker when opening up as I encountered some crushes on the same apps for the Android.

Just have to learn a few more things, but overall I am quite impressed with the One.
Coulda always bought the developer edition of the ONE and had the unlocked version. ;) Nice phone...that's for damn sure. Good upgrade!

My wife is eligible in August and will likely be getting the ONE on At&t...unless she decides she likes the GS4 or whatever the Galaxy S Mini turns out to be. Or hell, the smaller HTC One (whatever they call it). LOL...it's a damn good time to be an Android user.
You know, I thought about it when I was in Asia last week. Even get the 64GB version. But they told me that it wasn't LTE compatible (overseas version) so I decided to do the straight upgrade for $150 once I got back. Plus they give me the option to unlock it after 90 days. We haven't given up on Apple yet. I have so much invested in them, MacPro, ipad, etc and the wife still likes it. But I was due for this change and so far, I am enjoying the switch.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Hey boys,

Work has been keeping me too busy to contribute much to this forum for the last few months, but here's a news flash that already led to Apple's stock dipping 5% the morning following my Facebook post...

I have been testing, and very much enjoying a Nexus 4 Android phone, and could very well see a 'permanent' switch in my future.

Given my resident status as Apple-Fanboy Meritas, I thought you might find that interesting.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Sport73 wrote:Given my resident status as Apple-Fanboy Meritas, I thought you might find that interesting.
Not really...lol. Anyone who actually gives Android a try, can find it enjoyable. It's those who write it off without trying that surprise me.

Welcome to the un-walled garden of functionality and customization. :)

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Leaving iOS has been breeze with Android, at least in the smatphone arena.

Still use my wife's iPad (3rd gen) more than my Nexus 7.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:Still use my wife's iPad (3rd gen) more than my Nexus 7.
Yup...me too (my Mini). Way more.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Someone mentioned above about trying to get on straight talk's network. I've been looking for an AT&T sim card (iphone4) for a while. I spoke with ST last week and they told me they are out of them online and that walmart should have them on their website.. I've seen them for sale on Ebay but prices are all jacked up possibly confirming ST and ATT falling out... My wife claims she read this morning that t-mobile ST sim cards work in AT&T phones.. Anyone know if that is true?

I've read in other tech forums that AT&T no longer sees eye to eye with ST and ATT no longer wants ST sims on their network. Can anyone clear the air in regards to ST?

I've been contract free for a few months (ATT) and my wife's contract expires with verizon next week. I'd love to cut my cell bill without having to cut my usage.

~ Dave
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Need some advice from you smartphone mavens.

My wife is plunging into the smartphone world, as she just went back to work full time. She stepping up from a slider keyboard Samsung dumbphone (I have the same phone) and wants a solid smartphone that handles the basics with speed and smooth operation.

We don't need the latest and greatest, but we don't want a piece of sh*tware that Verizon dumps for free, either.

Any recommendations for a solid Verizon smartphone for around $100 with a two-year commitment? I would think an iPhone would be a solid pick, but she also likes the Google ecosystem. She's also very hip on voice-to-text function so she can send emails and texts without typing. My wife never will be confused with Mavis Beacon as a typist. :)

Thanks, fellas!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Windows Phone 8. HTC 8X.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I'm guessing you can get an S3 for around that price now that the S4 is here. Fast. Easy. Great speech-to-text which I use all the time. Especially excellent if you use Google Now and sync your desktop/laptop browser as well.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:Any recommendations for a solid Verizon smartphone for around $100 with a two-year commitment? I would think an iPhone would be a solid pick, but she also likes the Google ecosystem. She's also very hip on voice-to-text function so she can send emails and texts without typing. My wife never will be confused with Mavis Beacon as a typist. :)
Android (2 good options) - Samsung Galaxy S3 (last years model, which I still use and LOVE) is $99 bucks w/ a contract now since the 4th version is coming out on May 30. Fantastic phone, great battery life and is still really fast and powerful, with probably the best camera out of all the Android based phones. The other good option if she wants something a bit smaller (the S3 is pretty big w/ a large screen), is the Motorola Razr M (also $99). It's a great "smaller" phone but will lack a few things the S3 offers (better screen, better camera, faster speeds, etc.) but it's advantage is clearly the size. I really wouldn't buy anything on Verizon OTHER than those two Android phones right now in the $99 and under bracket.

iOS - iPhone 4S (no need to buy the 5 since it starts at $199 and really is the same thing but with a slightly bigger screen)

Either would be perfect for what your wife needs. Obviously I'd sway her towards Android and the GS3 since it's still my phone of choice on Verizon because of google's ecosystem (which is just downright BAD on the iPhone).

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thanks, gents! All very good information.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Teal wrote:Windows Phone 8. HTC 8X.
You don't use the Google ecosystem do you? If so, there is no way you'd recommend a Windows 8 phone for this. For Hotmail/Outlook users, absolutely an option.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I don't anymore. I still have gmail, but have it linked to my Outlook account, which I much prefer. But I didn't recommend the WP8 for anything to do with the Google whatever. I recommended it for "a solid smartphone that handles the basics with speed and smooth operation". I would have recommended the Nokia 920, but Verizon doesn't have one, and the 928 isn't out yet. That said, I'm impressed with the 8X. I'm also very impressed with the S4, for what it's worth, but I just don't like the Android platform. If Samsung would put the S4 into the WP world, I'd be first in line... :D

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Teal wrote:I don't anymore. I still have gmail, but have it linked to my Outlook account, which I much prefer. But I didn't recommend the WP8 for anything to do with the Google whatever. I recommended it for "a solid smartphone that handles the basics with speed and smooth operation". I would have recommended the Nokia 920, but Verizon doesn't have one, and the 928 isn't out yet. That said, I'm impressed with the 8X. I'm also very impressed with the S4, for what it's worth, but I just don't like the Android platform. If Samsung would put the S4 into the WP world, I'd be first in line... :D
Samsung doesn't seem to be too interested in WP at the moment unfortunately for you. The 8x is great hardware for sure (I think even better than the 920, with the exception of the camera). But like you and the S4...I just can't stand the software. ;)

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Teal wrote:I don't anymore. I still have gmail, but have it linked to my Outlook account, which I much prefer. But I didn't recommend the WP8 for anything to do with the Google whatever. I recommended it for "a solid smartphone that handles the basics with speed and smooth operation". I would have recommended the Nokia 920, but Verizon doesn't have one, and the 928 isn't out yet. That said, I'm impressed with the 8X. I'm also very impressed with the S4, for what it's worth, but I just don't like the Android platform. If Samsung would put the S4 into the WP world, I'd be first in line... :D
Samsung doesn't seem to be too interested in WP at the moment unfortunately for you. The 8x is great hardware for sure (I think even better than the 920, with the exception of the camera). But like you and the S4...I just can't stand the software. ;)
Tomato, Tom-ah-to, I guess... :wink:

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Dropped my Nexus 4 last night (with a case) and the screen was damaged, but more importantly the digitalizer was shot so the phone is useless.

I'm gonna call Google to see if there's anyway they can send me a replacement (I know, fat chance). :(

Anywho...

So DB,

GS4 or HTC one?

Co-worker got the GS4 and it's freaking impressive.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Either one...seriously. Pluses and minuses for both but here are the positives for each compared to the other one.

HTC One:

low light camera quality
build quality (metal vs. plastic)
speed of included software (sense is better than touchwiz speed wise)

GS4:

camera quality overall is better (just not as good in low light)
better screen (subjective of course)
notification light that's customizable (htc has a green light that turns off after 5 min., so horrible)
already stock android ROMs available (which is ultimately why I'd choose it now, but some people don't care)
side power button (top left is a HORRIBLE place to put it on the One)

As you can see...I'd probably go with the GS4 just for ergonomic reasons and it has the features I personally want. However, I'm actually quite content with my GS3 w/ Carbon Rom on it, so I'm going to sit tight and see what HTC One version comes out on Verizon this summer. Tho I do reserve the right to get a GS4 when it releases on Verizon on May 30. :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

My wife got a Samsung Galaxy S III for $49 last week at Best Buy. She loves it. Thanks for the advice, fellas.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:My wife got a Samsung Galaxy S III for $49 last week at Best Buy. She loves it. Thanks for the advice, fellas.
The perfect decision.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I got a DNA today -- Verizon had an early upgrade option for $100, so I traded my Thunderbolt for an early Father's Day gift from my wife. The display is just ridiculous. Watched a few HD clips on YouTube and a bit of Netflix and couldn't get over how sharp everything looked.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Brando70 wrote:I got a DNA today -- Verizon had an early upgrade option for $100, so I traded my Thunderbolt for an early Father's Day gift from my wife. The display is just ridiculous. Watched a few HD clips on YouTube and a bit of Netflix and couldn't get over how sharp everything looked.
Nice upgrade for 100 bucks. Legit screen for sure.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Love the HTC One so far. The Android customization features is so much fun compared to iOS. Also the blink feed is very cool and the phone takes great pics especially under lower lights. So far I love my current combo, HTC for my phone needs and the iPad for the casual use at home.