OT:Smart Phones

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT:Smart Phones

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Amazingly, I'm growing quite fond of this GS3...who knows, may even keep it a while. Especially if we get a stock JB rom here in the next few weeks.

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

The VZW people are starting to get them in, but now the launch got pushed back to the 12th for some reason..everyone likes it so far.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Darkbandit wrote:The VZW people are starting to get them in, but now the launch got pushed back to the 12th for some reason..everyone likes it so far.
Except for the fact they locked the bootloader which means no custom roms for a LONG TIME. I actually contemplated going back to verizon now that we've got LTE in my area (Ventura County, CA), but the locked bootloader on the GS3 and the bastard child version of the Galaxy Nexus (slowest one to get updates) has kept me away. Verizon just tries to control way too much. I like the openness of At&t and just being able to use whatever I want on their network. Much more hacker friendly. :)

Still diggin the S3, but definitely won't be selling the GNex.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Jesus, you people are speaking Greek to me.

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

I wouldn't call it Greek....technobabble or something though..lol

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

DB, you said in the Tablet thread you are trying some custom ROM's on the s3...what one is the best so far?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Darkbandit wrote:DB, you said in the Tablet thread you are trying some custom ROM's on the s3...what one is the best so far?
Don't you have a Verizon GS3 or did you switch? If you are still on Verizon, you're kinda screwed, at least until the OTA comes out that unlocks your bootloader. If you're on At&t I can point you to a few options, but none of them are really what I want at the moment. Really just waiting for some stock JB roms or Cyanogen 10, whichever comes first. :)

The Verizon statement: http://www.droiddog.com/android-blog/20 ... re-update/

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

Nah, I might work for them but I don't have them for my service, lol

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The first "review" of the next Nexus device. Sure looks nice, but take it with a grain of salt since it's prototype hardware. If it comes out on the 29th at $400 off contract, I'm definitely in.

http://tech.onliner.by/2012/10/12/lg-nexus-4-review/

You may have to translate that since it's in russian. :)

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

It occurs to me that I haven't weighed in with my thoughts on my new Galaxy S3. Had it for about a month and could not be happier.

I have no complaints. None. Zero.

This phone does everything a phone should possibly do in 2012. It just works. No lockups, no crashes, no reboots.

It's fast. Really fast. The screen is big and fantastic. Call quality is good and the design is off the charts great.

Lame I know, but sometimes stuff is just this good. Not often, but sometimes.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Glad to hear it Rob...it's a fantastic phone for sure.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Darkbandit wrote:DB, you said in the Tablet thread you are trying some custom ROM's on the s3...what one is the best so far?
To go back to this query, I'm using the Cyanogen Mod 10 Rom on my GS3 and it's just awesome. So if you guys are rocking S3s, definitely look into it and get rid of Samsung's software tweaks. You'll like the phone that much more. It takes some hacking to get it done (especially on the Verizon version), but it's possible!

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

RobVarak wrote:It occurs to me that I haven't weighed in with my thoughts on my new Galaxy S3. Had it for about a month and could not be happier.

I have no complaints. None. Zero.

This phone does everything a phone should possibly do in 2012. It just works. No lockups, no crashes, no reboots.

It's fast. Really fast. The screen is big and fantastic. Call quality is good and the design is off the charts great.

Lame I know, but sometimes stuff is just this good. Not often, but sometimes.
I'm still absolutely loving mine as well! Although...I have to admit I'm getting a tad interested in the Galaxy Note 2...

But, it looks like it will cost upwards of $600-$650 since my ATT contract is not up for renewal.

DB - how are you able to get new phones so frequently? Do you just sell the old ones? Or is there a loophole? :)
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Spooky wrote:DB - how are you able to get new phones so frequently? Do you just sell the old ones? Or is there a loophole? :)
How many phones have I had recently? I've got my Galaxy Nexus that I bought in October of last year unlocked and brought it to At&t when we switched from Verizon and so I didn't have an At&t contract at first. Then when the S3 came out I got that. So two phones in the past year. It's definitely a record for me in terms of how FEW phones I've had of late.

As for the new Nexus coming out, that will be unlocked from the google play store for 400 bucks (hopefully). I'll sell my Galaxy Nexus for a few hundred and upgrade. Will likely only cost me 150 or so dollars which is how much it would cost to get a regular phone subsidized from a carrier anyway. In the past, I definitely got a lot of phones, but most of the time I was paying the 600 bucks retail and selling the last phone for 400-500. Makes it a little more manageable, but those times are over with the kid and all. Gotta be a little more discerning, which is why I'm waiting patiently for the Nexus 4 or whatever they call it. Can sell the GS3 for over 400 now anyway so it'll be a lateral move.

I'm pretty sure I'm just going to stick with Nexus devices all the time and not bother with anything else. They simply cannot be beat overall.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Thanks DB. It really was an honest question...

I guess I'll CraigsList my S3 when the GN2 comes out and see if I can get $450 for it. If I can I'll probably switch to the Note 2. I loved the Note 1 with the exception of all the things that were fixed/updated in the new one.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Ok...picked up two SGIII's at Best Buy today for $99 a piece. 3 hour wait just to get a damn phone, place was packed. Very powerful phone, so far so good. Thanks to Scott and wc081 for the feedback.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

The S3 looks appetizing to me too. I'm cheap though and don't want to pay $200.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fsquid wrote:The S3 looks appetizing to me too. I'm cheap though and don't want to pay $200.
So sit tight...there are bound to be sales like crazy for the device before the holidays since it's going to be "old" by then. :) You know, like five months old.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

fsquid wrote:The S3 looks appetizing to me too. I'm cheap though and don't want to pay $200.
Best buy had a yesterday only $99 deal for the SGIII which I decided to take advantage of. If you want to wait it out, the SGIII will be $50 on black friday but that might just be for Sprint...not sure. I switched to ATT yesterday.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

Hey DB, what's your opinion on the Galaxy Note 2 that Spooky mentioned before. It looks amazing to me as someone who isn't as knowledgeable.
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

tjung0831 wrote:
Best buy had a yesterday only $99 deal for the SGIII which I decided to take advantage of. If you want to wait it out, the SGIII will be $50 on black friday but that might just be for Sprint...not sure. I switched to ATT yesterday.
I'm on ATT. The company just made us switch to the accounts being in our names for compliance reasons. I never looked at phones before the last month. Just took what the company gave us.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TheGamer wrote:Hey DB, what's your opinion on the Galaxy Note 2 that Spooky mentioned before. It looks amazing to me as someone who isn't as knowledgeable.
It's badass, assuming you're cool w/ the size of it. It's essentially a GS3, just with a bigger (and slightly improved) screen.

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
TheGamer wrote:Hey DB, what's your opinion on the Galaxy Note 2 that Spooky mentioned before. It looks amazing to me as someone who isn't as knowledgeable.
It's badass, assuming you're cool w/ the size of it. It's essentially a GS3, just with a bigger (and slightly improved) screen.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm all on this phone. I've been contemplating the S3 until I saw this beast.
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TheGamer wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I'm all on this phone. I've been contemplating the S3 until I saw this beast.
Yeah, I've got myself thinking about it...but I'm not a huge guy and I've got some dainty little hands, so it would probably look ridiculous. My bro in law who's 6'4, 265lbs and play on the offensive line at Arizona State...sure, he can rock it no problem. LOL. Tho he's got an S3 right now. :)

You'll definitely dig it if you like the size...ridiculously powerful.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

how does the S3 or Note fit in your pocket? I refuse to be one of these people who clips their phone to their belt.