OT:Smart Phones

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Re: OT:Smart Phones

Post by Darkbandit »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Darkbandit wrote:Ok, since DB isn't going to take one for the good of the thread, I was able to procure the Galaxy S3 today...didn't get too much time to play around with it but so far I haven't had any problems with it.
Never said there wasn't ANY chance of me getting one. Sheesh. I can always change my mind and there is always tomorrow.

Full disclosure...I was in At&t today trying to order one but my account is weird because I switch so many devices so it wouldn't let me pre-order...I'll have to go in Sunday when they sell them in store. So...yeah, I attempted to get one. Who knows what will happen between now and Sunday. That's a long ways away. :) LOL.
Just yanking your chain a little bit, lol.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

my work is going to stop paying for phones directly and instead give us a monthly allowance to go get our own. I currently use the Blackberry Torch since it does touch screen and has the slideout keyboard. Is there anything out there that would be better? I've never looked into smart phones since they company has always just provided one.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Keyboards are getting rare in smart phones.

Blackberry is in trouble and their last-ditch effort will come this fall with their BB10 phones.

So the most well-known choices are iPhone or an Android phone, if you want a smart phone, which involves a data plan, meaning bills of around $70 a month before taxes, though there are have been some no-contract plans which have come to market, promising $50 or less a month for month to month plans.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

if the keyboards are phasing out, I wonder what will be the new standard in business phones.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fsquid wrote:if the keyboards are phasing out, I wonder what will be the new standard in business phones.
iPhones already are replacing blackberries in most corporate environments.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

A lot of businesses are instituting BYOD policies.

So people can use their personal phones on the office network and have their bills paid.

If you look at the most popular smart phones, they don't have keyboards. But I think some like the Droid will continue to offer keyboards?

BB will offer their next-gen phones this fall and I heard the first ones won't have keyboards but eventually they will bring back some models with keyboards. The emphasis is on browsing so to maximize screen size means no room for keyboards, unless you want thicker designs. The most popular models are pushing thinner and thinner designs.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Went into my local phone store and messed around with their demo S3. I actually had myself pretty convinced that I would be exchanging my Galaxy Note for this phone all week (before even seeing it in person). After about 10 minutes of messing with it, I have decided that I like my Note better. In fact, a part of me felt like if I actually decided to get a smaller phone - I would probably go with the HTC One X over the S3. Something about the S3 feels cheap to me. I can't quite place it but it just didn't impress me. And again, I went to the store specifically to place a pre-order for it.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Haha...well after seeing what 4.1 has to offer in terms of the new notification panel, I'm sticking with my Galaxy Nexus. Who knows when devices like the Note or SIII will get 4.1...so I'll just rock my Nexus for a while longer. Still, nothing can beat stock Android. And Spooky...Galaxy Nexus GSM Unlocked...down to $349 brand new from Google Play store with no contract. Hint hint. Still the best Android phone on the market 9 months after release when you take the entire experience into account.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
fsquid wrote:if the keyboards are phasing out, I wonder what will be the new standard in business phones.
I've spent the last three days in Washington, D.C., doing the tourist thing with the family. Have spent a lot of time around government buildings and on the Metro during rush hour, and I've seen FAR more iPhones than Blackberries among the navy blue suit, white shirt and red tie crowd.

Just a ground-level observation.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Haha...well after seeing what 4.1 has to offer in terms of the new notification panel, I'm sticking with my Galaxy Nexus. Who knows when devices like the Note or SIII will get 4.1...so I'll just rock my Nexus for a while longer. Still, nothing can beat stock Android. And Spooky...Galaxy Nexus GSM Unlocked...down to $349 brand new from Google Play store with no contract. Hint hint. Still the best Android phone on the market 9 months after release when you take the entire experience into account.
Unfortunately the Nexus is not an option for me with that sh*tty camera. I use my phone camera all the time.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

pk500 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
I've spent the last three days in Washington, D.C., doing the tourist thing with the family. Have spent a lot of time around government buildings and on the Metro during rush hour, and I've seen FAR more iPhones than Blackberries among the navy blue suit, white shirt and red tie crowd.

A few years ago, when Blackberry was ascending, it was embroiled in a patent law suit (for which they ended up paying something like $600 million). Some members of Congress submitted amicus briefs to the court, saying they couldn't shut down Blackberry services because a lot of govt. workers had become dependent on them.

One of the downfalls of Blackberry was that its browser and media playback capabilities were quickly outclassed by iPhone and Android. So really, if the govt. workers moved to iPhone, they must be spending a lot of time using entertainment features.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Spooky wrote:Unfortunately the Nexus is not an option for me with that sh*tty camera. I use my phone camera all the time.
And then you have one of the main Jelly Bean features...improved camera. And it's not shitty, it's just not as good as the Galaxy SII/Note. At least it wasn't. We'll see soon enough.

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

pk500 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:

I would agree with you here. My job has given free iPhones to all.
gamertag: ddtrane65

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

I finally have upgraded to a smartphone by pre-ordering a Galaxy S3 through Verizon.

I look forward to it arriving.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

pigpen81 wrote:I finally have upgraded to a smartphone by pre-ordering a Galaxy S3 through Verizon.

It's an amazing phone!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Spooky wrote:
pigpen81 wrote:I finally have upgraded to a smartphone by pre-ordering a Galaxy S3 through Verizon.

It's an amazing phone!
And a very good decision Piggy. Between it and the Nexus, Verizon has the two best Android phones out right now.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Damn phones! My SII is already old.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

XXXIV wrote:Damn phones! My SII is already old.

Co-worker has the SII with the official ICS update and he's digging it.

No need for upgrade at the moment although that SIII looks tight.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

XXXIV wrote:Damn phones! My SII is already old.
Just update to the latest OS. Presto! New phone!
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Picked up a GS3 myself. Want to test it a bit before I dismiss it compared to my Nexus. Seems pretty cool so far. We will see how long it lasts.

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Picked up a GS3 myself. Want to test it a bit before I dismiss it compared to my Nexus. Seems pretty cool so far. We will see how long it lasts.
A day or two? :lol:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Darkbandit wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Picked up a GS3 myself. Want to test it a bit before I dismiss it compared to my Nexus. Seems pretty cool so far. We will see how long it lasts.
A day or two? :lol:
If the screen wasn't so brilliant I'd have already put it away. There are a few things that really irritate me and they are all TouchWiz related and those you can't get rid of with a simple Launcher program like Apex. I'm still searching for mods to alleviate those annoyances. If I can find them, it may stick around, but if not, buh bye.

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

If the screen wasn't so brilliant I'd have already put it away. There are a few things that really irritate me and they are all TouchWiz related and those you can't get rid of with a simple Launcher program like Apex. I'm still searching for mods to alleviate those annoyances. If I can find them, it may stick around, but if not, buh bye.
I am in all seriousness feeling the same way..its a nice phone all around, but I don't like the way some of the TouchWiz feels either, I am thinking about going with the One X

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

I am in all seriousness feeling the same way..its a nice phone all around, but I don't like the way some of the TouchWiz feels either, I am thinking about going with the One X

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Darkbandit wrote:
The unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus is still the pinnacle as far as I'm concerned. Seriously...there are some of the same annoyances in the One X as well. I'm still gonna give the GS3 a good run this week, but I'm not confident it'll surpass the Nexus. Just the way I am personally as most people probably wouldn't agree with me. It's the Android nerd in me.