OT:Smart Phones

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

My biggest complaints so far are 1. The only way you can unlock the phone is by pressing the button up top. 2. I think the micro-USB connector is on the wrong side. 3. The Battery life seems a little weak, but when you have some many things running in the background that is going to happen.

All pretty minor.
XBL: bdunn13
PSN: bdunn13

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

bdunn13 wrote:My biggest complaints so far are 1. The only way you can unlock the phone is by pressing the button up top. 2. I think the micro-USB connector is on the wrong side. 3. The Battery life seems a little weak, but when you have some many things running in the background that is going to happen.

All pretty minor.
Name a smartphone that isn't that way battery wise? The iPhone paved the way for the "barely a day" battery life, so no pretty much all companies are doing it because it's been accepted. I personally don't care because I'm always at a desk or whatever so power is handy, but I can see how some people that are out on the road would be against it. But again, you can at least change your battery in an Android phone. :)

And they all need a two key sequence and I prefer it on the top actually. What really threw me is they put it on the left top instead of the right which I was used to on the Droid. And I can't remember the last phone I've had that had the USB port on the right side. Left seems to be more prevalent. All Blackberries and all Android phones that don't have it on the bottom are on the left.

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

The iPhone last longer now b/c it does not have all the background tasks running. I will be surprised if the new iPhone does not have similar battery issues. Just pointing out I am not happy with the battery life.

I am at my desk all day too and it stays plugged in as much as I can.. but I do go to Vegas a few times a year and wondering how it will hold up during a 24 hour poker run while texting constantly "where are you... I am playing 1/2 @ MGM..... Okay be right there...."

I was actually just pointing out I don't have many complaints about the device to date or at least ones that are very significant...

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

Last phone that I remember that had the charging port on the right side was the Tour and that was very awkward to hold while it was being charged.

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

Just gets better everyday. Since this is my first android phone I am new to it all and keep discovering new apps. Latest is Handcent for sms/mms. While I didn't see the need to have customization for texts, I kept reading on forums about this app. I tried it and now that I have it setup somewhat it is great. Texts show as popups over existing apps so if I am doing something I don't have to exit the app......like browsing or when I was playing poker tonight txting my brother.

Very cool functional app to say the least. I wish now I could find things to fill up my 7 home screens. Hell I wish could then find a way to utilize all the other profiles LOL!

Here is a list from the homepage of some of what it does. I just learned a few things about it myself lol!

Handcent SMS is a FREE enhanced SMS & MMS application for Android.
It fully unleashes the power for your Andorid phone on messaging, including:

Compatible with existed android phones,including HTC Dream,Magic,HERO ,MyTouch 3G,
Cliq,Droid,Moment,Tattoo,ERIS,Nexus One,Desire,Legend,X10......
Full Support SMS,MMS including attach picture,movie,audio.....
Greate customizability,you can define many options on settings window
Power SMS POP UP Window including SMS Template(Quick Text),Recognize Speech and Speak SMS
Group Send SMS & MMS, easy people & group select , Sync with your phone contact database
Beautiful UI ,including different theme and different conversation bubble style (iphone,handcent ,android)...
Define different ringtone,vibrate,LED,background,signature ,bubble style... for different people
Support additional font pack ,can display sms message with many beautiful & stylish font
Include 10 and more countries language pack and will continue support more language
Many useful functions including Blacklist ,Search SMS & MMS ,Batch Mode for threads & Messages....
Support Handcent keyboard (A T9 predict Text keyboard)

…many more functions are in development
XBL: Nozzleman 216
PSN: Nozzleman_216

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Finally got to mess with an Incredible at the Verizon store, and really liked it. I would love to upgrade because to be honest I just never use the keyboard on my Droid and would rather not have that moving part. I wish Verizon had some sort of trade-in deal.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Gurantsu wrote:Finally got to mess with an Incredible at the Verizon store, and really liked it. I would love to upgrade because to be honest I just never use the keyboard on my Droid and would rather not have that moving part. I wish Verizon had some sort of trade-in deal.
It's called eBay. Got 310 for the Droid and bought the Incredible for 530. Not a horrible deal. :)

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

Got some update last night - not sure what it entails as I have not had a chance to play with the phone yet.... is there a changelog on the net somewhere?

Also, how is that new battery working out?

I need to sell my old G1 on ebay....

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The update was only for some Exchange email issue they found. No biggie.

Getting the Siedio today...but I've been able to make it through entire days so far with the standard. I just want the extra 33% for a rainy day. :)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Wow...just installed the newly released Dolphin Browser HD for Android. HOLY CRAP...it literally is as powerful as a desktop browser with tabbed pages, gestures for navigation...it's fantastic. Here's a little video rundown for you Android fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jADCTGrS3w

If you download it, make sure you get the HD version...that's the new and improved one. You've gotta have a phone running 2.0 or greater...so you guys rocking the old Android phones may be out of luck on the HD version.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:so you guys rocking the old Android phones may be out of luck on the HD version.
Of course we are, I hate my MT3G...

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:so you guys rocking the old Android phones may be out of luck on the HD version.
Of course we are, I hate my MT3G...
Im not quite at hate yet but yeah as the new ones keep coming out Im starting to turn on my Cliq.

Motorolla announced in jan that it would get 2.1 soon. Now its may and they are saying sometime Q2. Seems like just some bs to keep them selling. Im starting to think they just cant run 2.1.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Processor wise those old ones will struggle with the update.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I'll take a look at the new dolphin. I've actually been using the default browser since the 2.1 update.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Gurantsu wrote:I'll take a look at the new dolphin. I've actually been using the default browser since the 2.1 update.
Oh just wait...Dolphin HD is SO much better. Faster, more features and just downright badass.

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/05/10/ata ... ough-2012/

Engadget digs up some 2008 court documents that confirm that Apple and AT&T's original exclusivity agreement did, in fact, extend into 2012. From a court order (PDF):
The Agreement, which lasts until 2012, provides that iPhone purchasers who want voice and data services must sign a two-year service contract with ATTM. (Complaint P30.) Although the Agreement itself is not public, some of its provisions have been revealed in the press.
The 5 year timeframe was originally revealed by USA Today back in 2007. A 5 year contract would have maintained AT&T iPhone exclusivity into 2012.

However, at this point, it's not entirely clear if the original contract still stands. The Wall Street Journal reported in 2009 that AT&T's iPhone exclusivity is due to expire this year (2010). Apple and AT&T may have undergone contract revisions and negotiations since that time. Most industry experts seem to believe that AT&T exclusivity comes to an end this year with several whispers that Apple will bring the iPhone to Verizon's network in 2010.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I like how the iPhone exclusivity is a story now. It can show up on Verizon tomorrow and it's not going to change anything. Android is taking over the world (as it should with 10x the devices). I'd venture a guess that 90% of the people who want an iPhone have already switched over to At&t to have one. The device has been out for 3 years now and everyone's contract has been up in that time frame. It's not a game changer anymore. I'd actually be surprised if Verizon even bothers really.

Now, when LTE comes out...then you may have a good timeframe for them to release one. With EVDO 3G...who cares really? The Android offerings are so far superior, the only thing that would sell devices is the cache really. But then again, that's Apple for ya.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

They may have made a strategic blunder, not cutting a deal with Verizon sooner, which would have made it harder for Android to get a foothold.

The exclusive deal was lucrative for them in the past 3 years but they may regret it 3 years from now, if they're still associated with AT&T.

LTE could change the perceptions of the networks, since both AT&T and Verizon will migrate to it.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Sprint's 4G Evo comes out June 4th....that will be the top phone on the market then. My contract just for my Sprint blackberry just ended...looks like I'll be getting the 4G Evo in a few weeks.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

tjung0831 wrote:Sprint's 4G Evo comes out June 4th....that will be the top phone on the market then. My contract just for my Sprint blackberry just ended...looks like I'll be getting the 4G Evo in a few weeks.
I may switch to Sprint down here in PR just for that phone.. Looks gorgeous.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

tjung0831 wrote:Sprint's 4G Evo comes out June 4th....that will be the top phone on the market then. My contract just for my Sprint blackberry just ended...looks like I'll be getting the 4G Evo in a few weeks.
Only advantage of the Evo 4G in 98% of the United States is the 720p video recorder. That's it. I'll take Verizon's network and customer service over that thing any day of the week. Nice phone, no doubt...basically the same specs as the Incredible. It's just too bad they didn't up the resolution. The same 480x800 resolution from the Incredible's 3.7inch screen is being used on a 4.3" screen? I've heard it's nice, but slightly pixellated. No idea why they didn't go up a bit. Oh well...it's still on Sprint. If At&t didn't completely sh*t the bed in the past few years they'd still be on the bottom of the heap as far as customer satisfaction goes.

It definitely destroys any other phone that Sprint has, that's for damn sure. It'll be a nice upgrade for Hero owners if they can deal with the added bulk.

Either way...I'm happy...keeps expanding the high end Android market. I love it.

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

http://gizmodo.com/5553418/att-just-kil ... he-process
AT&T's new, completely restructured mobile data plans for both iPhones and iPads have officially launched the era of pay-per-byte data, which we've known was coming. We just hoped it would take a little longer. It's the anti-Christmas.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I checked my data usage (*DATA# and they will SMS you the data usage). I'm in the middle of a billing cycle and it's 6.4 MB.

So I could probably get by with the $15 200 MB plan.

jondiehl
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jondiehl »

I'm on Sprint, and with UL I never paid attention to what I was using (and consider myself a heavy user) but looking at my last 6 months, I'm only using 100MB/month, so not heavy at all I guess.

If Sprint switches to a tiered data plan (at a discount), I'll gladly go with a lower tier.
XBoxJon
[url=http://live.xbox.com/member/XBoxJon]Gamer Profile[/url]
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-us/profile/MessageCenter/SendMessage.aspx?gt=XBoxJon]Send me a XBL message[/url]

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Picked up the new Evo tonight. Pretty sweet device but not sure ill ever get used to the keyboard. Anybody got any apps to recommend?
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM