OT:Smart Phones

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

dbdynsty25 wrote: I guess everyone has LTE to look forward to because it won't matter the carrier really since most will be sharing towers anyway.
Not sure that is the case.

If they want to share networks, maybe.

But they have individual right-of-way deals negotiated with different towns and even private property owners for towers.

In fact, there's speculation that Verizon tries to block AT&T from signing deals with some towns by getting citizens to oppose allowing AT&T to put up new towers.

Verizon would be smart to leverage the towers it has rights to, assuming their existing base stations could be upgraded to STE pretty cheaply.

But also heard that while LTE is fast, it drops off more steeply than 3G as you get away from the tower.

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

Walked into the Verizon store tonight with idea of getting me an Incredible and my wife was going to get a flip phone.... that is what she wanted...

Three hours later we arrive home with 2 Incredibles. :| :|
XBL: bdunn13
PSN: bdunn13

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

bdunn13 wrote:Walked into the Verizon store tonight with idea of getting me an Incredible and my wife was going to get a flip phone.... that is what she wanted...

Three hours later we arrive home with 2 Incredibles. :| :|
That's how it usually works. :) Congrats...it's a ridiculously good phone.

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

I have been using a G1 for about 18 months or so and it was a very good phone.. of course since it was the first Android phone, other phones long passed it by....

I have also tried many web enabled phones and many mobile browsers, before tonight I can easily say the iPhone / iTouch browser was by far the best I have ever used...

I don't know if the browser on the Droid / Incredible is better than the mobile Safari, but if it isn't, it is darn close...... It is a DAMN good browser and fast as hell.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

bdunn13 wrote:I have been using a G1 for about 18 months or so and it was a very good phone.. of course since it was the first Android phone, other phones long passed it by....

I have also tried many web enabled phones and many mobile browsers, before tonight I can easily say the iPhone / iTouch browser was by far the best I have ever used...

I don't know if the browser on the Droid / Incredible is better than the mobile Safari, but if it isn't, it is darn close...... It is a DAMN good browser and fast as hell.
It's definitely equal. Ever since 2.0 came out the browsers on Android phones have been great. The speed is quite a bit faster than safari according to my informal side by side testing over Wifi...and the Incredible is significantly faster than the Droid as well. The processor and ram on the Incredible give it a nice boost obviously.

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

The Incredible is my first android and touch phone. Just upgraded from a Blackberry Curve which I had since it released and have loved.

This phone is the s***!!! I have only played with Moto Droid a few times and it feels almost sluggish compared to this thing! Now if I could just figure out what to put on my 7 home screens LOL. So many options of what to do.

this phone is as its name implies..........INCREDIBLE!
XBL: Nozzleman 216
PSN: Nozzleman_216

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

You can also have profiles for your home screens and setup.... so you can really have an unlimited number from what I can tell...

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

Did not even know it had a FM Tuner - it is not too bad..

Is there a way to make any of the buttons on the bottom of the phone wake it up instead of having to press the power button up top?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

bdunn13 wrote:Did not even know it had a FM Tuner - it is not too bad..

Is there a way to make any of the buttons on the bottom of the phone wake it up instead of having to press the power button up top?
Nope. Wish you could configure it, but you cannot. It's all about the sleep button on top.

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

gmail push does not seem to be working very well, for me right now... never had much problem with that on my G1 - you seeing any issues?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Are you using the built in Gmail app or are you using HTC Mail with Gmail Exchange?

I'm using built in Gmail and it's working fine.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Oh, and full Flash 10.1 coming in June to the higher end Android phones (Desire, Droid, Incredible and more)...

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/04/ ... d-in-june/

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

I am using the built in gmail app - the one with the red icon.... Wierd thing is, I use the other one as well and it seems to be working fine.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

bdunn13 wrote:I am using the built in gmail app - the one with the red icon.... Wierd thing is, I use the other one as well and it seems to be working fine.
Don't know...could just be a server thing in your area. Mine has been working fine since November on the Android OS.

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

Found it... no idea how it got turned off..

menu->accounts and sync -> somehow the auto sync crap got cut off.. no sure if I did it or not.

Glad it should be working now though.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I also read online that the next OS update may include an option to install apps onto your SD card instead of the phones memory. That will rock!
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

I know you can do this on other versions of the phones / os when you unlock it.. You just need to make sure you have a reasonably fast memory card.. they all are not created equal.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I saw that about doing it on rooted phones, but I have no plans of rooting mine so I'm anxious to see the official version. Even if I can get some of the bigger ones over I'll be happy. I have a poker game thats 20 mb!
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

hey DB, saw you were watching flash videos and tried to go to ESPN and it keeps giving me the mobile site. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Nozzleman_216 wrote:hey DB, saw you were watching flash videos and tried to go to ESPN and it keeps giving me the mobile site. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
It's not sending you to the mobile site that has the links to the videos? It's still the mobile site, but there are links available to watch the videos where before (with regular 2.1 on the Droid) it was just missing the video links.

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

Have you tried other browser or do they not have flash? I just read FireFox has released a pre-alpha android browser and I have used FireFox for years (and love it)

What do you think about battery life? Mine has gotten better since the first charge. I want better life, but man I do not want to disable the cool features that will help it LOL. Seidio has released a new slim battery that is a little better than the stock one (1750 maH I think) They also have some cool cases/holsters coming. I have always hated a phone in my pocket, but this one is not bad at all. I am just afraid of scratching etc..........

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I already purchased the Seidio...lol. Battery life is suspect given the amount I use my phone. It's pretty much on par with the iPhone where the Droid actually surpassed it. So yeah...I just charge it a little more than the Droid right now and we'll see how the Seidio holds up. It's the exact same dimensions so no need for an ugly battery extension...so that's good. Expensive though and 50 bucks (40ish on Amazon). I can make it through a whole day, so I'm cool with that...but sometimes I need to go a bit longer, so that's why I got the Seidio. No big deal if it fits in the existing form of the phone. I definitely wouldn't have had it needed a new battery door or whatever. I love the size of this thing compared to the Droid...definitely more pocketable as you said.

I just use the built in browser...it's the only one with Flash lite built in...for another month or two till full fledged flash 10.1 is released.

I'm not a case guy...I keep my phones pristine (for ebay resale of course when the next new one comes out), so I baby them. In the pocket by themselves at all times, no drops, no water. :)

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

I think I got my battery finally calibrated on my phone after going through a couple of the charging cycles, now if the signal indicator could be worked on just a wee bit it would make me even happier. Glad to see that everyone who has the phone likes it though, happy customers means happy customer service reps, lol

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

bandit, I think you hit the nail on the head, its the signal indicator that is the problem and not the actual signal. Many are bitching on forums about signal strength, if they knew how to look at db's they would know it is performing quite well and some are even reporting better than Moto Droid which is said to have fantastic reception.

I have had zero issues with mine, and the call quality is great. I am impressed so far. This thing keeps getting better every day as I learn more and more about it and what it is capable of.And the speed...........wow!

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

Yup, matter of fact I talked to a friend of mine who works in data support for VZW and he said that he had heard a couple of people talking about it. I told him that it's not affecting the signal, just that it gives the impression that there is less signal than available. But like I tell my customers, as long as you can make calls, that is the most important thing.