OT:Smart Phones

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

My work had a phone not being used, so they gave it to me to use for free. It's a Samsung Eternity. Anyone familiar with it or have any thoughts?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Another couple months and the Android OS will overtake iPhone as far as web traffic goes. Companies (like mine who are a BlackBerry outfit) are silly not to fully support Android...I'm pretty sure Android based phones have already outsold iPhones, which isn't surprising since there are like 25 models spanning all carriers compared to 4 and one, but whatever. I just didn't think it would take a paltry six months from the time Android launched on the biggest US Carrier, Verizon, to catch the iPhone traffic wise. Impressive.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Wow, thats some fast movement.

For my part it seems everyone keeps asking about and wanting to see my Droid, so it sure seems to have the publics attention.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Well it's misleading...it says the Droid OS. Which is in more phones and networks so I bet any analysts could have predicted this one. Let's say Apple was to put the firm on verizon, spring, and others would it not make a similar jump. I guess the fact the iPhone is not on those networks is salient.

And really this graph points to is the fact that google's phone OS is driving more web traffic which guess what means for ad revenue which means more dough for google. It's less important in terms of market penetration and more important for ad-revenue something that Apple doesn't have a fight in.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

JRod wrote:Well it's misleading...it says the Droid OS. Which is in more phones and networks so I bet any analysts could have predicted this one. Let's say Apple was to put the firm on verizon, spring, and others would it not make a similar jump. I guess the fact the iPhone is not on those networks is salient.
Um...isn't that why I specifically said, it's no surprise really since there are 25 Android phones on all networks as opposed to 4 iPhones? The fact that they had almost zero marketshare before the Droid was released six months ago is the point that I am making by posting that graph. It's ridiculous how fast Android has blown up. Yes, any analyst can come up with that, hell, I said that six months ago and I don't know sh*t about economics. I just know a great product when I see one.

And these analysts you talk about predicted that Palm would blow up with their WebOS...where are those guys now?

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
JRod wrote:Well it's misleading...it says the Droid OS. Which is in more phones and networks so I bet any analysts could have predicted this one. Let's say Apple was to put the firm on verizon, spring, and others would it not make a similar jump. I guess the fact the iPhone is not on those networks is salient.
Um...isn't that why I specifically said, it's no surprise really since there are 25 Android phones on all networks as opposed to 4 iPhones? The fact that they had almost zero marketshare before the Droid was released six months ago is the point that I am making by posting that graph. It's ridiculous how fast Android has blown up. Yes, any analyst can come up with that, hell, I said that six months ago and I don't know sh*t about economics. I just know a great product when I see one.

And these analysts you talk about predicted that Palm would blow up with their WebOS...where are those guys now?

Well it may be a great product but it's market is helped by the fact that Apple is on one network that doesn't have the best network. If today's WSJ rumors are true and the iPhone comes to verizon, look for more growth for the iPhone. And if the iPhone does go to other networks with other price points for it's phone there's even more growth in store for Apple.

And comparing this misleading because Apple seems to live by creating it's own market for its products something that I think that other companies have trouble accomplishing. The droid success seems to be that it's a competent product (modeled after the iPhone OS with improvements where iPhone's OS falls short) and is on phones with a lower price point than the iPhone and all networks.

The Droid will be scaled for product to compare with the iPad. Where google is really pulling a MS in creating a mobile OS system, Apple is creating products that they control vertically. But that's been Apple's MO for a long time to survive with it's own market share with it's own products. Either way, Apple and Google aren't going anywhere and competition only helps us.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I don't know that AdMob requests necessarily correlates with sales.

It could mean that Android users are using AdMob-served sites and free apps. to a greater extent than iPhone users. Droid sold very well, comparable to the original iPhone in the number of days it took to reach 1 million units sold. It doesn't sound like any other Android phone is close and they're already doing Two for the price of 1, which suggests that the sales rate has leveled off.

AT&T is trying to hedge with Pre and Android phones. They'd have a pretty good idea on web usage across just about every smart phone platform out there.

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

not sure if you know it but admob is owned by google now... not that it matters.

I got my free Droid today :( hard to complain but I wanted a Nexus.... If anyone is interested in buying a Droid let me know. They are going for $385 on ebay - I would like to get $325.... of course there is no contract and it is new in box...
XBL: bdunn13
PSN: bdunn13

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The Droid is a better phone overall. Seriously. Once 2.1 hits (which started today), it's going to be able to do everything the nexus can, but on a better network! Suck it up and use the superior phone.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

bdunn13 wrote:not sure if you know it but admob is owned by google now... not that it matters.
I don't think the deal is finalized yet, it's still undergoing antitrust review.

Turns out Apple tried to buy AdMob first but Google swooped in while Apple couldn't make up their mind.

Serious feud apparently shouting at each other in meetings after Google moved into smart phones. Apple rejected Google Voice and there was talk about them using Bing.

So Google grabbed AdMob, overpaying, just to piss Apple off.

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:The Droid is a better phone overall. Seriously. Once 2.1 hits (which started today), it's going to be able to do everything the nexus can, but on a better network! Suck it up and use the superior phone.
I rather have the faster processor the Nexus has.. and I have T-Mobile and have no interest in changing providers.. If the Droid worked on TM I would keep it as I rather avoid the headache in selling it.

But I will try to sell it now and just get the HTC Desire when it comes out next month.... I will miss having a KB though.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

dbdynsty25 wrote: And these analysts you talk about predicted that Palm would blow up with their WebOS...where are those guys now?
LOL I gotta say that Palm's troubles aside, the Pre continues to work like a stallion for me. Fast, all the apps I need and totally dependable. I have no problem pledging allegiance to the smart phone Titanic. :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

RobVarak wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote: And these analysts you talk about predicted that Palm would blow up with their WebOS...where are those guys now?
LOL I gotta say that Palm's troubles aside, the Pre continues to work like a stallion for me. Fast, all the apps I need and totally dependable. I have no problem pledging allegiance to the smart phone Titanic. :)
WebOS is actually a fantastic OS...the wrong company got behind it tho! If Blackberry gets behind them (which they should), then the OS might have a fighting chance. As of now...titanic is right.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

bdunn13 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:The Droid is a better phone overall. Seriously. Once 2.1 hits (which started today), it's going to be able to do everything the nexus can, but on a better network! Suck it up and use the superior phone.
I rather have the faster processor the Nexus has.. and I have T-Mobile and have no interest in changing providers.. If the Droid worked on TM I would keep it as I rather avoid the headache in selling it.

But I will try to sell it now and just get the HTC Desire when it comes out next month.... I will miss having a KB though.
Well if you're on T-Mobile and you won't switch, of course the Nexus is a better choice. :) I'm sure you can find a Nexus on ebay for only slightly more than a droid would sell for. Work some magic and you can have whatever you want. :)

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

I'll tell you what, if this companies in PR refuse to offer a competent Android phone (Droid, Nexus One) not like my current MyTouch 3g which I'm starting to hate, I'm gonna go ahead a get a freaking IPhone.

MT3G feels more sluggish every day I use it and I refuse to get a Cliq even though they are letting me upgrade to it for $100 w/o renewing my ciurrent contract. I want a freaking Android beast.

Done. :D

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Droid owners...if you don't want to wait for 2.1...just go here:

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/03/31/ma ... ola-droid/

Works like a charm and upgraded without a problem at all. I'm daring like that.

Dimmu
Mario Mendoza

Post by Dimmu »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Droid owners...if you don't want to wait for 2.1...just go here:

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/03/31/ma ... ola-droid/

Works like a charm and upgraded without a problem at all. I'm daring like that.
Thanks db, heading to check the download out now. I'm too impatient to wait for the official release in my area.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Just manually updated, went without a hitch. Thanks DB!
2319!

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Ok, I just got a Nexus one and am using here on Telus in Canuckland. I haven't ventured away form the house yet to try 3G, but I'm on a 500 meg data plan..... wondering if that's enough? I plan on doing the heavy downloading of apps, etc. on my WiFi at home.

Anyway, this is my first smart phone, and I have to say I don't know how i lived without it! It's pretty cool. I've been learning it since last night.

Most important question, what's the best app for sports scores? Anyone with a preference?

I'll have to admit I didn't pay for the phone. I'm helping my brother out with his side-company making a camera app for the android market, so this is one of my 'perks'. Search for popcrowd if you want both products, there's trial versions and then the real deals. (shamless plug)

Anyway, i'll probably have more questions later, but this is pretty neat as I'm usually a bit of cavemen when it comes to tech, so it feels weird to be "up to date" as it were. lol.
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Do they have ESPN SportsCenter for Android? That would be the obvious choice if they do.

CBS Sportsline also has an app. too.

Yahoo may as well.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Sportstap...tho I prefer just going to the mobile espn site. Ignore WCO...he doesn't know what he's talking about because none of those "sites" have applications. At least not the type of app you're looking for. Sportstap is the way to go.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Sportstap is okay.

ESPN Sportscenter has better details in its alerts.

Sportstap just tells you the hockey score changed but ESPN tells you who scored. You don't have to go into different screens in settings to set up alerts for a particular game. Just tap a little icon from the game schedule or scoreboard. Also gives you some overview game stats without having to open the app.

I'm sure ESPN will make their app. for Android eventually.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Thanks guys, i'll check it out. I wish TSN had an app..... I may also get the MLB app for $15 as you can listen to broadcasts of games, though the reviews say it's choppy.
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I have the MLB app on my Droid. The audio does cut out now and then, but I have read that it was the same last year on the iPhone app during Spring Training, so I'm hoping it will clear up soon. Overall it's a nice app, I just really wish they would add the video like on the iPhone, that would be sweet.
2319!

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

Got $405 on Ebay for my Droid.... now waiting on a new phone......