Next psp game?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

MizzouRah wrote:The load times don't really bother me. Maybe if it wasn't a golf game, I would care more.. but at least once a hole loads.. the game flows nicely.

Todd
Agreed.

I think some people may confuse the loading times with poor coding. Unfortunately, this is the nature of the TW engine on consoles as the loading time is a reflection of having to load the entire hole and all the surroundings, the commentary, etc. If the PSP has more VRAM, I believe it would be able to load 2-3 holes at a time or at least lower the amount of data that is loaded after each hole. I am used to the PC version which on my machine has about 1-2 seconds between holes. I find that the PSP loading times don't bother me because I am not in a hurry when playing with it. I am usually in leisure time or waiting for someone or something. I am saddened that some find the loading times are unacceptable and I respect that. I, like others here feel that the game is much too good to not play it because of loading times. Good thing we have choices, eh?

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I still love TW and can put up with the load times as a result. I'll still check out Hot Shots if it has better two person play on a single PSP.

It's too bad MVP didn't come out this week because it was supposed to be on sale at Best Buy for $39.99. I wonder if they will run the ad again? Probably not :(

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

If Hot Shots does a better job getting you into the actual game quicker then I'm getting it right away. Maybe b/c TW is a release game thats why the load times are so bad.

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

I think people are blowing the load times a little bit out of proportion. Yeah they're long, but once you get into the hole they're no problem.

To me, HSG is the Gran Turismo of arcade golf gaming. Uses the same exact engine that it did w/ the original some 8 years ago or so.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

macsomjrr wrote:If Hot Shots does a better job getting you into the actual game quicker then I'm getting it right away. Maybe b/c TW is a release game thats why the load times are so bad.
Read my post above. I think I pretty well explained why the load times are longer than most PSP games....

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Leebo33 wrote:I still love TW and can put up with the load times as a result. I'll still check out Hot Shots if it has better two person play on a single PSP.

It's too bad MVP didn't come out this week because it was supposed to be on sale at Best Buy for $39.99. I wonder if they will run the ad again? Probably not :(
Saw that same exact Best Buy ad for MVP. What a tease!
Last edited by sportdan30 on Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

sportdan30 wrote:
Leebo33 wrote:I still love TW and can put up with the load times as a result. I'll still check out Hot Shots if it has better two person play on a single PSP.

Saw that same exacty Best Buy ad for MVP. What a tease!
I really hope the extra time is put to good use. I'm assuming this will be the only MVP release on PSP, so they should make it a good one.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I'm not sure what the next PSP game for me will be. I'm interested to see what MVP has in store, but outside of that, there are a lot of rentals.

Just got my first two games from Gamerang (shipped Monday, this warehouse in Minneapolis could make this a sweet set-up for me), Tony Hawk and Ridge Racer.

With THUG, I realize what I have been missing since the first game--a game that doesn't interest me.

Ridge Racer is an awesome technological accomplishment, especially when you consider the performance that is still in the PSP's tank. But it is the same shallow Ridge Racer gameplay that enticed me to buy a PS1 over a Saturn. I was impressed back in 9th grade, but it just doesn't hold my attention right now. I'm going to hold onto it for a while to see if it starts holding my interest though.

I keep coming back to the insanely addictive Lumines and, despite almost selling it a few times, Tiger Woods. MLB is still fun, but doesn't have the "one more game" feeling of the other two in my collection.

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Hot Shots for me.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Dave wrote:Just got my first two games from Gamerang (shipped Monday, this warehouse in Minneapolis could make this a sweet set-up for me), Tony Hawk and Ridge Racer.
Dave,

I think I'm going to look into Gamerang myself. It seems to be taking a ridiculous amount of time to receive games from Gamefly. I'm in St. Louis so I can kinda understand why it takes so long, but almost a week to receive a game? Too long IMO.

Thanks for mentioning Gamerang.

EDIT: Plus Gamerang is 2 dollars cheaper per month. Way to undercut the competition!

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Dan,

I will let you know how my turn-around goes with THUG. No need for me to keep playing it...just not my style. So I'll have it in the mail tomorrow.

I know a number of games on my list are showing "high demand, short wait" but I'll make sure there is at least one showing available tomorrow morning.

Hopefully, the next game will show up on Friday or Saturday since I'm in an ideal spot for a quick turn-around (in theory).

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

I just signed up for a Gamerang membership on your recommendation Dave. I used to have Gamefly, but I cancelled because of the terrible turnaround times. I usually waited 6 or 7 days for games to get to me, and about the same to get back to them. It usually only takes one or two days for me to get things from Minneapolis, so Gamerang could be great for me.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

That's good that they've got different companies for different locations. I love gamefly because there is only a one day turnaround being in Los Angeles. I had to wait two days for a game once and I was pissed. LOL.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Yep Gamergang is the up and comer. Cheaper and they have more plans for higher games out at a time. Also the added locations keeps things moving fast unlike Gamefly for those of us outside of Cali.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Mina-No Golf AKA HOT Shots Golf in NA is one awesome game. I've been playing this import for 4 months now and it just rocks. The courses, the gameplay, the bonus equipment and courses to open keep bringing me back for more. Oh I should mention no loading time during play either. Graphically speaking is the best PSP thus far (I got MLB, Ridge Racer, Wipeout Pure), you guys should check it out when in comes out in NA.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

10spro wrote:Mina-No Golf AKA HOT Shots Golf in NA is one awesome game. I've been playing this import for 4 months now and it just rocks. The courses, the gameplay, the bonus equipment and courses to open keep bringing me back for more. Oh I should mention no loading time during play either. Graphically speaking is the best PSP thus far (I got MLB, Ridge Racer, Wipeout Pure), you guys should check it out when in comes out in NA.
I'm actually getting pretty excited about this game. I've heard such great reviews from those who have already the import version. No one has had one bad thing to say about it.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

sportdan30 wrote:
10spro wrote:Mina-No Golf AKA HOT Shots Golf in NA is one awesome game. I've been playing this import for 4 months now and it just rocks. The courses, the gameplay, the bonus equipment and courses to open keep bringing me back for more. Oh I should mention no loading time during play either. Graphically speaking is the best PSP thus far (I got MLB, Ridge Racer, Wipeout Pure), you guys should check it out when in comes out in NA.
I'm actually getting pretty excited about this game. I've heard such great reviews from those who have already the import version. No one has had one bad thing to say about it.
I just wish there were more courses! :(
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

From EB's site per description of PSP Hot Shots:

"Featuring 6 new courses, classic venues and favourite characters from the ever-popular Hot Shots Golf series"

What exactly does 'classic venues' mean and is that in addition to 6 new courses? Perhaps they added more for the US version? (fingers crossed)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The thing is that it mentions 6 courses, but when U unlock characters and items, U can also unlock more courses too. A must buy when it comes out in NA!

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

10spro wrote:The thing is that it mentions 6 courses, but when U unlock characters and items, U can also unlock more courses too. A must buy when it comes out in NA!
Are you sure or is this just a guess? If it is for sure...do you know how many additional courses?

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Spooky wrote:From EB's site per description of PSP Hot Shots:

"Featuring 6 new courses, classic venues and favourite characters from the ever-popular Hot Shots Golf series"

What exactly does 'classic venues' mean and is that in addition to 6 new courses? Perhaps they added more for the US version? (fingers crossed)
Hey Spooky, I think classic venues means famous courses (i.e. Pebble Beach, St. Andrews etc..)

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

macsomjrr wrote:
Spooky wrote:From EB's site per description of PSP Hot Shots:

Hey Spooky, I think classic venues means famous courses (i.e. Pebble Beach, St. Andrews etc..)
http://psp.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=1194

One of the newest previews (by date) and every preview I have seen says you have 6 courses (all new)
10spro wrote:The thing is that it mentions 6 courses, but when U unlock characters and items, U can also unlock more courses too. A must buy when it comes out in NA!
U (or as I prefer YOU) start with one playable course and like the other HSG games U (or YOU) unlock the other 5.

I think by "Classic Venue" they are simply referring to what HSG golf has done since it's inception... A links course, forrest course, desert course, simple municipal course to start of with.

If "Classic venues" somehow means more courses they would probably be refering to previous courses from the Hot Shots Golf games. They have never used "real" courses.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

macsomjrr wrote: Hey Spooky, I think classic venues means famous courses (i.e. Pebble Beach, St. Andrews etc..)
Not likely either of those as EA has exclusive licensing agreements with both courses....