OT: Time for me to move out of Los Angeles.

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

good rebump. Can't pay me to live with the hippies in California.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TheGamer wrote:this has to a record for oldest thread revisited.
You're forgetting who started and who bumped it. :lol:

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

was this the last thread you started? :)
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TheGamer wrote:was this the last thread you started? :)
Nah...I think I've started one or two since.

And we just had another quake. Awesome.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

I've lived in LA all my life. The 94 Northridge quake was on my 13th birthday. I'll take a quake over a tornado or hurricane any day of the week and twice on Sunday. It's really not that big of a deal. I don't live my life in fear because the earth moves every now and then, even if there might be a big one someday.

Cue Randy Newman's "I love LA"
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah, they aren't that big of a deal anymore to me...nothing has felt like the Northridge quake, that's for damn sure. The wife surely doesn't like em...she wasn't living here in 94, so today's 4.4 was the biggest she's ever felt.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

You couldn't pay me enough to live in LA (well, I guess you could). I hadn't been there in a few years and had to go in February this year. I forgot how much concrete was there. Houston certainly won't win any natural beauty contests, but at least when flying over Houston you see a hell of a lot of green (tons of trees). Toss in overpriced housing, valet or pay garage at many restaurants, lousy Mexican food, and a poorly run state government and you've got little reason to settle in LA or its suburbs. And who can stand the same freaking weather day in, day out?

Tornadoes and earthquakes are equally bad - come out of nowhere. Hurricane? You can run from those.

LA is like Boston - great place to visit, but I don't want to live there (4 months of Boston was enough for me).

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

F308GTB wrote:You couldn't pay me enough to live in LA (well, I guess you could). I hadn't been there in a few years and had to go in February this year. I forgot how much concrete was there. Houston certainly won't win any natural beauty contests, but at least when flying over Houston you see a hell of a lot of green (tons of trees). Toss in overpriced housing, valet or pay garage at many restaurants, lousy Mexican food, and a poorly run state government and you've got little reason to settle in LA or its suburbs. And who can stand the same freaking weather day in, day out?

Tornadoes and earthquakes are equally bad - come out of nowhere. Hurricane? You can run from those.

LA is like Boston - great place to visit, but I don't want to live there (4 months of Boston was enough for me).
Lousy Mexican food? Are you freaking kidding me? Tell that to the millions of Mexican-Americans living in Los Angeles, they would beg to differ.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

F308GTB wrote:You couldn't pay me enough to live in LA (well, I guess you could). I hadn't been there in a few years and had to go in February this year. I forgot how much concrete was there. Houston certainly won't win any natural beauty contests, but at least when flying over Houston you see a hell of a lot of green (tons of trees). Toss in overpriced housing, valet or pay garage at many restaurants, lousy Mexican food, and a poorly run state government and you've got little reason to settle in LA or its suburbs. And who can stand the same freaking weather day in, day out?

LOL, Houston over So. Cal? Please, I've spent enough time in Houston to realize it' an even bigger armpit than LA and I hate LA

And hurricanes? Compare the death toll and property losses of Katrina to either the Northridge quake or the Loma Prieta Quake in the bay area in '89.

Not to mention the quakes don't come every year.

But please, stay in Houston, we have enough people from out of state who can't drive here already.
-BK

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

LAking wrote:

Lousy Mexican food? Are you freaking kidding me? Tell that to the millions of Mexican-Americans living in Los Angeles, they would beg to differ.
Damn straight lousy Mexican food. Know a few dudes (Hispanic) who were raised in Texas and moved out there. Thing they miss most is the Mexican food here. Heard the same thing from some of the SoCal locals too - been to Texas and we gots the best. Don't forget we have plenty of Mexican Americans in our neck of the woods too...

Cali-Mex is freaking bland.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I can vouch for Tex-Mex food from Texas, it's awesome. I stayed in Austin and San Antonio and both times the food was the best. It was a culture shock going to a Tex-Mex restaurant and being served chips and salsa for breakfast. This was before McDonald's stole the breakfast burrito idea. :)

San Antonio had killer Mexican restaurants. I've been to Cali as well, mostly SF, OAK, SAC and Redding. The Mexican food wasn't bad but I do prefer Mexican food from Texas.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

bkrich83 wrote:
F308GTB wrote:I forgot how much concrete was there. Houston certainly won't win any natural beauty contests, but at least when flying over Houston you see a hell of a lot of green (tons of trees).
LOL, Houston over So. Cal? Please, I've spent enough time in Houston to realize it' an even bigger armpit than LA and I hate LA

And hurricanes? Compare the death toll and property losses of Katrina to either the Northridge quake or the Loma Prieta Quake in the bay area in '89.

But please, stay in Houston, we have enough people from out of state who can't drive here already.
Read that quote again sporto. LA just seems to tear everything down. Fly in and all you see is a few trees in the middle of a ton of concrete. Houston certainly has its bit of ugly too. The contest between Houston and LA is like figuring which ugly chick to vote Miss America.

Hurricanes don't come every year either. Ike hit the house last year, but before that the last hurricane to hit Houston was 1989, and it was more of a bad storm.

Drive? Come on - get a few sprinkles and the 405 turns into a demolition derby.

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

F308GTB wrote:
bkrich83 wrote:
F308GTB wrote:I forgot how much concrete was there. Houston certainly won't win any natural beauty contests, but at least when flying over Houston you see a hell of a lot of green (tons of trees).

Read that quote again sporto. LA just seems to tear everything down. Fly in and all you see is a few trees in the middle of a ton of concrete. Houston certainly has its bit of ugly too. The contest between Houston and LA is like figuring which ugly chick to vote Miss America.

Hurricanes don't come every year either. Ike hit the house last year, but before that the last hurricane to hit Houston was 1989, and it was more of a bad storm.

Drive? Come on - get a few sprinkles and the 405 turns into a demolition derby.
405 does. Mostly thanks to transplants who don't know how to drive on a freeway.

Downtown LA yes? But you realize there's a lot of green, mountains, beach and mountain regions all surrounding it. The area around LA and So. Cal is much more diverse than the terrain around Houston.

Again, compare property damage and loss of life with a hurricane like Katrina, compared to the last 2 major earthquakes to hit all of California in the last 2 decades (Loma Prieta, and Northridge), tell me how exactly and earthquake is worse. Not to mention that's exactly two major quakes since 1989. Since '89 how many Hurricanes have hit the gulf that have caused signifcant damage and loss of life.

LA sucks, but please to say something like you couldn't pay me to live in LA, when you live in Houston is laughable.
-BK

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Really guys? I am willing to bet you can find great Mexican food in either state. I am sure there are fine things anyone could say about both LA and Houston, along with bad.

That said I ask everyone in the state of California to stay right where you are at. You helped break it, you stay there and try and fix it. :wink:
[url=http://sites.google.com/site/bmdsooner/]My place for games![/url]

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:, so today's 4.4 was the biggest she's ever felt.
Could be taken the wrong way very easily lol :lol:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fletcher21 wrote:
Is that how you take 4.4...the wrong way?

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
fletcher21 wrote:
Is that how you take 4.4...the wrong way?
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IlRpIkonxaY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

Rodster wrote:I can vouch for Tex-Mex food from Texas, it's awesome. I stayed in Austin and San Antonio and both times the food was the best. It was a culture shock going to a Tex-Mex restaurant and being served chips and salsa for breakfast. This was before McDonald's stole the breakfast burrito idea. :)

San Antonio had killer Mexican restaurants. I've been to Cali as well, mostly SF, OAK, SAC and Redding. The Mexican food wasn't bad but I do prefer Mexican food from Texas.
Northern California is NOT THE SAME AS SO CAL. Not even close. C'mon, Giants/Dodgers, we hate eachother ;-)One of my step sisters now lives in SF and says the Mexican food isn't nearly as good as LA.

My step mother was born in Mexico and naturally my step siblings are all Mexican-Americans. They can all vouch for the Mexican food in LA. We eat it at nearly every party and gathering. You simply cannot get better Carne Asada than what we get from the local Mexican meat markets.

There is also a reason why they call it "Tex Mex", because it's different than traditional Mexican food. It comes from the border culture of Texas. I'm sure Texas has great Mexican food, but to say So Cal doesn't is ridiculous. It just means you're hanging out in the wrong neighborhoods.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Until you've been to Texas and had the Mexican (be it Mexican or Tex-Mex) here, I'd withhold judgement. San Antonio is over 60% Hispanic. It does have some freaking incredible Mexican food that's different from Tex Mex you find in Dallas, Houston, Austin. But it's still top notch. Your average Mexican/Tex Mex restaurant in Texas does things awesomely well. Based on my personal experience in the LA area (from LA to Huntington Beach to the high desert area), the average restaurant in Cali doesn't cut the mustard with me. We merely have two different tastes in our Mexican inspired cuisine for our states.

I will say the most sublime Thai shrimp curry rice dish I've ever tasted was in LA just northeast of LAX. So freaking good I wanted to lick the juices out from the bowl. Most Thai restaurants around here are run by Chinese or Vietnamese (tangent - we have some of the best Vietnamese food around due to Houston having a large Vietnamese population).
LAking wrote:
Rodster wrote:I can vouch for Tex-Mex food from Texas, it's awesome. I stayed in Austin and San Antonio and both times the food was the best. It was a culture shock going to a Tex-Mex restaurant and being served chips and salsa for breakfast. This was before McDonald's stole the breakfast burrito idea. :)

Northern California is NOT THE SAME AS SO CAL. Not even close. C'mon, Giants/Dodgers, we hate eachother ;-)One of my step sisters now lives in SF and says the Mexican food isn't nearly as good as LA.

My step mother was born in Mexico and naturally my step siblings are all Mexican-Americans. They can all vouch for the Mexican food in LA. We eat it at nearly every party and gathering. You simply cannot get better Carne Asada than what we get from the local Mexican meat markets.

There is also a reason why they call it "Tex Mex", because it's different than traditional Mexican food. It comes from the border culture of Texas. I'm sure Texas has great Mexican food, but to say So Cal doesn't is ridiculous. It just means you're hanging out in the wrong neighborhoods.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

F308GTB wrote:Until you've been to Texas and had the Mexican (be it Mexican or Tex-Mex) here, I'd withhold judgement. San Antonio is over 60% Hispanic. It does have some freaking incredible Mexican food that's different from Tex Mex you find in Dallas, Houston, Austin. But it's still top notch. Your average Mexican/Tex Mex restaurant in Texas does things awesomely well. Based on my personal experience in the LA area (from LA to Huntington Beach to the high desert area), the average restaurant in Cali doesn't cut the mustard with me. We merely have two different tastes in our Mexican inspired cuisine for our states.

I will say the most sublime Thai shrimp curry rice dish I've ever tasted was in LA just northeast of LAX. So freaking good I wanted to lick the juices out from the bowl. Most Thai restaurants around here are run by Chinese or Vietnamese (tangent - we have some of the best Vietnamese food around due to Houston having a large Vietnamese population).
LAking wrote:

Gotta agree here. I lived in El Paso, TX when I played in the Texas League and I loved the TexMex all over the league but San Antonio was the best. Phenomenal.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

How exactly are you guys arguing about mexican food? There are different types...but if it's cooked by a mexican it's mexican. Who the F cares? San Antonio has 60% hispanic...so what. Roll through any neighborhood that isn't affluent from Ventura to San Diego and it's more than 60%. A mexican cooks it, it's mexican food. Whitey calling any of them non-authentic or whatever is just wasting their breath.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

dbdynsty25 wrote:How exactly are you guys arguing about mexican food? There are different types...but if it's cooked by a mexican it's mexican. Who the F cares? San Antonio has 60% hispanic...so what. Roll through any neighborhood that isn't affluent from Ventura to San Diego and it's more than 60%. A mexican cooks it, it's mexican food. Whitey calling any of them non-authentic or whatever is just wasting their breath.
Besides, the best Mexican food is found in Chicago.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Let's just settle this battle

You have a far greater chance of getting a sopaipilla in a Texas Mexican resturaunt that you would a Californian Mexican restaurant.

Texas Wins

We also win for Chicken Fried Steak and Barbecue.

[/thread]

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Don't forget inbreeding...

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Don't forget inbreeding...
I think that is closer to Teal's neck of the woods.