Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory tonight (4/13)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

lsdean
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by lsdean »

It seemed like noone started a new game to jump into. I ended up running through the tutorial and exam after we played so I don't know if that made it appear like I was offline. I will have to check my settings. When I got done with the tutorial, everyone else was offline.

mixdj1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mixdj1 »

OK, well I can host a room from 10:00 PM EDT - 12:00 AM EDT. So I'll have a room running during that time. Right now it looks like:

mixdj1
lsdean
fshguy

Spooky, were you saying you were signing up for tonight? Zeppo, sorry the timing is bad but I'll definitely send you an invite if I have a spot and see you online.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

mixdj1 wrote:OK, well I can host a room from 10:00 PM EDT - 12:00 AM EDT. So I'll have a room running during that time. Right now it looks like:

mixdj1
lsdean
fshguy

Spooky, were you saying you were signing up for tonight? Zeppo, sorry the timing is bad but I'll definitely send you an invite if I have a spot and see you online.
Cool. Definitely keep an eye out for me, but 9:00pm central is a bit early for me. Look for me about an hour later (possibly earlier).
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

countzero2k5
Mario Mendoza

Post by countzero2k5 »

I should be there around 9 CST

mixdj1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mixdj1 »

OK, my room is now full at 10:00 PM EDT:

mixdj1
lsdean
fshguy
countzero

If spots open up before I call it a night I'll send out invites.

Atxj
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Atxj »

I'll be there about 9:30pm CST considering there is still a spot open.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

lsdean wrote:It seemed like noone started a new game to jump into. I ended up running through the tutorial and exam after we played so I don't know if that made it appear like I was offline. I will have to check my settings. When I got done with the tutorial, everyone else was offline.
No dean, you must've switched to appear offline, or removed me from your friends list, because the whole time those other three were showing 'playing' (about an hour), they were the only three on my list in the game. FIFA, Kruza and Marino were all online in GR2, and that was it.

Speaking of GR2- you got rid of it, huh, Mix? Man, I guess that's the end of Poker Nights. I couldn't have been more wrong about the longevity of that one! Once PK gets rid of a game, that's it, huh? We don't have any other 'big room' games left, except I guess ToCA. It's all head-to-head or 4 players from now on. I'm looking forward to co-op in Lockdown (at least two or three could work in that), but beyond that. . . .

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Zeppo wrote: Once PK gets rid of a game, that's it, huh?
For the record, I believe I got rid of it first, I just did not advertise it. :wink:

Oh, and Zepp, if you jump on later and the room is full, how 'bout some co-op?
Last edited by Spooky on Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Zep:

Hey: Blame Tom Clancy and Ubi Soft for the demise of GR 2, not me! Chaos Theory is siphoning off more guys from GR 2 than guys actually selling it. :)

Forza should have some of that "big room" atmosphere. Damn, I also wish a few cats would pick up Midtown Madness 3 on the cheap for some laugh-filled big rooms. That game is a hoot.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

lsdean
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by lsdean »

Don't worry Zeppo, you are still on my list. :wink: I will have to check the options. Who knows what I accidently did.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Spooky wrote:
Zeppo wrote: Once PK gets rid of a game, that's it, huh?
For the record, I believe I got rid of it first, I just did not advertise it. :wink:

Oh, and Zepp, if you jump on later and the room is full, how 'bout some co-op?
Yeah, but you got rid of it and no one blinked. PK gets rid of it, and suddenly we can't get more than four for a poker night, and one of those can't get in our room!
pk500 wrote:Hey: Blame Tom Clancy and Ubi Soft for the demise of GR 2, not me! Chaos Theory is siphoning off more guys from GR 2 than guys actually selling it.
I sort of hear you PK, but I think you're wrong. It's not like we play a ton of GR2 on random nights, it's pretty much a Tuesday Poker Night thing. Last week, we could have had a nice 8-man room, small but workable for squad play, but Mix and Fshguy were being stubborn :wink: . Other than that and the first week SC:CT was out, I don't see blaming SC for lack of Tuesday night participation. Plus, we've always had ebbs and flows in Poker Night participation, with some weeks only 3 or 4 signing up, and then suddenly one week there will be 10 or 12 signing up, or showing up like when Jack brought FIFAInspected in with a few of his guys.

Whatever. I am of two minds on it now. I can see myself getting rid of it, since there is no longer a regular night to play it with a group I know, and we never really did find that magic mode (well, I really like HH on the bunkers map). But I do enjoy the gameplay, whether it be squad play or co-op missions, and I had a great time last Saturday in a room with FIFA and his guys. First to Fight won't fit the bill, since it's solely 4-on-4, in close-quarters, restrictive maps, a lot like RS I imagine, but can only hold 8. Maybe Lockdown will fit the bill, but somehow I doubt it.

It's not that i'm in love with GR per-se, it's that I like having a game where we can have a regular night and can actually play with as few or as many as want to show up. But, that won't be GR anymore, will it! You know it won't be the new Unreal. I wish it could be WE with true mutliplayer, but that ain't happening.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Zeppo wrote:It's not that i'm in love with GR per-se, it's that I like having a game where we can have a regular night and can actually play with as few or as many as want to show up.
Can't this still work with Halo 2?

marino
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by marino »

Zeppo wrote:
lsdean wrote:It seemed like noone started a new game to jump into. I ended up running through the tutorial and exam after we played so I don't know if that made it appear like I was offline. I will have to check my settings. When I got done with the tutorial, everyone else was offline.
No dean, you must've switched to appear offline, or removed me from your friends list, because the whole time those other three were showing 'playing' (about an hour), they were the only three on my list in the game. FIFA, Kruza and Marino were all online in GR2, and that was it.

Speaking of GR2- you got rid of it, huh, Mix? Man, I guess that's the end of Poker Nights. I couldn't have been more wrong about the longevity of that one! Once PK gets rid of a game, that's it, huh? We don't have any other 'big room' games left, except I guess ToCA. It's all head-to-head or 4 players from now on. I'm looking forward to co-op in Lockdown (at least two or three could work in that), but beyond that. . . .

Zeppo dont get rid of gr2 yet.We are still playing it with sully, fifa and a bunch of other guys. Right now it seems that Wednesday and Saturday nights are the nights we are playing.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I'm kind of glad a lot of people have gotten rid of GR2. I got rid of mine about 3 weeks ago since Poker Night was usually just winding down by the time I would get online. I had the feeling that I'd be missing something but now that a lot of people are ditching it I don't feel so bad. :D

Chaos Theory is a much better online experience IMO anyway. The only downside being that it's limited to 2-4 players. I can't play online tonight but I'm up for some Friday night action.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

webdanzer wrote:
Zeppo wrote:It's not that i'm in love with GR per-se, it's that I like having a game where we can have a regular night and can actually play with as few or as many as want to show up.
Sure, and it can work with SW:Battlefront, too, but who around here still plays either of those game?

I would be up for some big-group Halo2 once in a while, but I don't think more than 4 or 5 of us still has the game.

Marino, i will start looking for you guys on Wed. and Sat nights. I really had fun last Saturday, although I don't think that 2-zone siege is very good with 8 guys.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Oh, I had thought a bunch of guys still had that one.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I still have Halo 2 but sadly I no longer have Battlefront. :cry:
I am a patient boy.

mixdj1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mixdj1 »

Zeppo wrote:Speaking of GR2- you got rid of it, huh, Mix? Man, I guess that's the end of Poker Nights.
Sorry man, but after the weak turnout this week and some disappointing sessions with it over the last few weeks I decided to sell it. I figured Halo 2, Splinter Cell, Forza, and Jade Empire would keep me more than busy over the summer. Actually I'm probably not going to be around much for a while after May anyway since I'll have a newborn in the house. 8O

marino
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by marino »

Zeppo wrote:
webdanzer wrote:
Sure, and it can work with SW:Battlefront, too, but who around here still plays either of those game?

I would be up for some big-group Halo2 once in a while, but I don't think more than 4 or 5 of us still has the game.

Marino, i will start looking for you guys on Wed. and Sat nights. I really had fun last Saturday, although I don't think that 2-zone siege is very good with 8 guys.
Yeah actually we seem to be having more fun with co op play now.Completing some of those missions are tough.

mixdj1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mixdj1 »

Zeppo wrote:I would be up for some big-group Halo2 once in a while, but I don't think more than 4 or 5 of us still has the game.
Fshguy and I are always up for some Halo 2. If you ever see us online in it jump on into our party.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Zeppo wrote:Whatever. I am of two minds on it now. I can see myself getting rid of it, since there is no longer a regular night to play it with a group I know, and we never really did find that magic mode (well, I really like HH on the bunkers map). But I do enjoy the gameplay, whether it be squad play or co-op missions, and I had a great time last Saturday in a room with FIFA and his guys. First to Fight won't fit the bill, since it's solely 4-on-4, in close-quarters, restrictive maps, a lot like RS I imagine, but can only hold 8. Maybe Lockdown will fit the bill, but somehow I doubt it.

It's not that i'm in love with GR per-se, it's that I like having a game where we can have a regular night and can actually play with as few or as many as want to show up. But, that won't be GR anymore, will it! You know it won't be the new Unreal. I wish it could be WE with true mutliplayer, but that ain't happening.
It could be Black Hawk Down, if that game comes anywhere near delivering 32-player rooms on XBL. Of course, the gameplay needs to be good, and the glitches need to be minimal. But everything I've read and seen in preview stories and screens indicates the maps are pretty damn big in that game. In fact, one of the developer interviews said the maps were designed quite big on purpose, to accomodate 32-player rooms.

I'm a bit skeptical of the developers pulling off such an ambitious live game, especially since it's not a proven commodity like Ubi Soft or Bungie. But you never know ...

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

pk500 wrote:
Zeppo wrote:Whatever. I am of two minds on it now. I can see myself getting rid of it, since there is no longer a regular night to play it with a group I know, and we never really did find that magic mode (well, I really like HH on the bunkers map). But I do enjoy the gameplay, whether it be squad play or co-op missions, and I had a great time last Saturday in a room with FIFA and his guys. First to Fight won't fit the bill, since it's solely 4-on-4, in close-quarters, restrictive maps, a lot like RS I imagine, but can only hold 8. Maybe Lockdown will fit the bill, but somehow I doubt it.

It could be Black Hawk Down, if that game comes anywhere near delivering 32-player rooms on XBL. Of course, the gameplay needs to be good, and the glitches need to be minimal. But everything I've read and seen in preview stories and screens indicates the maps are pretty damn big in that game. In fact, one of the developer interviews said the maps were designed quite big on purpose, to accomodate 32-player rooms.

I'm a bit skeptical of the developers pulling off such an ambitious live game, especially since it's not a proven commodity like Ubi Soft or Bungie. But you never know ...

Take care,
PK
The developers are shooting for 32 players on the PS2. They're shooting for 50+ on Xbox Live. Supposedly their last pc game (don't know the name of it) supported 100+ players. I would suspect that 32 is practically guaranteed at this point and 50+ is highly likely.
I am a patient boy.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

mixdj1 wrote:
Zeppo wrote:Speaking of GR2- you got rid of it, huh, Mix? Man, I guess that's the end of Poker Nights.
Sorry man, but after the weak turnout this week and some disappointing sessions with it over the last few weeks I decided to sell it. I figured Halo 2, Splinter Cell, Forza, and Jade Empire would keep me more than busy over the summer. Actually I'm probably not going to be around much for a while after May anyway since I'll have a newborn in the house. 8O
Mix:

Is this your first child? Congrats!

Whip me with a stiff noodle if you already have kids. But if you don't, I think you'll find that you can game a lot more than you think once the bambino arrives.

Nothing in your life will cause you to organize your time better than having a child. Most of your time no longer is your own, as job and child take nearly all of it. So you work a lot harder to carve out "me" time, as little as it might be.

I had the same thoughts as you before our first child was born in November 1998, but they were unfounded. I gamed at night while my wife and daughter slept and headed upstairs to help with feedings, diaper changes and an occasionally cranky kid. Plus a lot of nights I would take my sleeping daughter with me in the basement, put her next to me while I played and let my wife get some uninterrupted shut-eye.

I did the same thing with my second and third kids, and it has worked out fine.

Best of luck with the new arrival! :)

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

ScoopBrady wrote:The developers are shooting for 32 players on the PS2. They're shooting for 50+ on Xbox Live. Supposedly their last pc game (don't know the name of it) supported 100+ players. I would suspect that 32 is practically guaranteed at this point and 50+ is highly likely.
That excites and scares me.

Excites me, because the thought of 10-15 DSP guys and 10-15 OS guys playing in one room would be incredible. Or a mix of 10-15 guys we know with 10-15 quality randoms also would be great.

Scares me, because the larger the room, the more space for idiots to infest it and ruin the game.

Still, I want to look at this game as a glass half-full instead of half-empty. I'm very curious about it, for sure. Hey, I was very curious about Close Combat, and so far that curiosity has been rewarded with a very solid game!

Take care,
PK

mixdj1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mixdj1 »

pk500 wrote:Is this your first child? Congrats!
I've been a step-dad for a year and a half but this is the first human that I've hand a hand (or other part) in creating. ;) And this will definitely be the first newborn that I've been around as my step-daughter is almost eight. I'm excited and scared as hell at the same time. 8O