Racing shocker: De Ferran to BAR management

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Racing shocker: De Ferran to BAR management

Post by pk500 »

F1 fans:

A bombshell will be dropped tomorrow when 2003 Indianapolis 500 winner, two-time CART champion and current ABC Sports IndyCar Series analyst Gil de Ferran is expected to be named sporting director of the BAR Honda Formula One team. De Ferran has no experience in team management.

No, this isn't a late April Fool's joke. Gil is a sharp cookie, so he just might be able to survive in the pirahna club.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Holy sh*t, thanks for the tip, PK.

Gil's always reminded me of a modern day Alain Prost with his driving style.

What was the story with BAR and Dave Richards this off-season? They alluded to the falling-out between the two parties during the GP this weekend, but I must have missed that drama.

As much as I like Gil, hiring him to be the sporting director reeks of desperation. He's certainly diving into the deep in right off the bat.

I enjoyed him as an Indycar analyst as well, who will they get to replace him? Will this re-open the door for Mr. Sneva!?!
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

sf_z wrote:Gil seems like too nice a guy to get involved in that racket.
One of the first things I thought, too. But Gil always considered F1 an unrealized challenge, and his wife is from Great Britain. BAR's factory is located in a London suburb.

Also, Gil drove for Jackie Stewart in Formula 3. I think he learned a few things from the Wee Scot that will serve him well in team management.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:What was the story with BAR and Dave Richards this off-season? They alluded to the falling-out between the two parties during the GP this weekend, but I must have missed that drama.
Well, from what I've read and heard, the Honda corporate suits didn't like DR's style. DR is pretty brash, outspoken and very much likes DR.

That didn't sit well with the stoicism of Honda management, which found the perfect chance to oust DR when it increased its stake in the team.

No sweat off my back. Now DR can concentrate more on the WRC, of which he's the commercial rights holder, like Bernie Ecclestone in F1. But DR seemingly has spent a lot of time with the Aston Martin project this year in sports cars through his Prodrive business.

No indication who will replace Gil or if Gil will be replaced. Autosport reported Gil will remain as an analyst for the rest of the year and work as BAR sporting director, and Gil was at the Speedway today for a photo op and interviews with the rest of the ABC team on the first day of the Indy 500 Media Tour.

But I can't see how he could keep both jobs or how BAR would let him. I would like to see either Sneva or Davey Hamilton replace Gil. Davey was EXCELLENT last year as an analyst on IMS Radio Network broadcasts.

Take care,
PK

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Thanks PK, that definitely makes sense. I know it is early, but you can't argue with results. He took what had been a gigantic waste of talent and resources and either by skill or dumb luck had them competing at the sharp end of the grid on a regular basis. Hasn't quite happened this year without him.

I've noticed a lot of racing big-wigs are their own biggest fans. Probably not a coincidence, eh? :lol:

With that in mind, I am going to call a bunch of Indycar teams tomorrow to let them know what kind of talent they are missing without me on their staff.

Gil will be a busy man the rest of this year, hopefully it works better for him than former-CART CEO Bobby Rahal's short Jag stint.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Neckthai
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Neckthai »

Davey Hamilton and Tom Sneva are both in the spotter's stand right now in the IndyCar Series. But I guess either can be coaxed back into the booth.

Davey wasn't the driver analyst last season. He worked as Ed Carpenter's spotter in '04 and is working with Patrick Carpentier this year. Tom Sneva works with Tomas Enge at Panther.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Wow, that is surprising news. Gil is one of my favorite racers of the last 10 years. I was just starting to enjoy the new IRL broadcast team. Still a little rough, but definitely improving. I've never liked Goodyear in the booth, but this year he seems to have started to come around. I can't quite put my finger on it. I would love to see Tommy Kendall in the booth, but I don't know if he is racing Trans-Am again this year. Nothing beats Posey and Unser though. :)

Good luck to Gil at BAR, I can't imagine that is going to be an easy job.
Last edited by DChaps on Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.