RIP John Paul II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

mobiggins
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

RIP John Paul II

Post by mobiggins »

One of the truly great men in the world has passed.
It will be near impossible to fill his shoes.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I agree. :(

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

rest in peace, Holy Father.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

vinny-b wrote:rest in peace, Holy Father.
Yes, rest in peace Holy Father. I just converted to Catholicism on Palm Sunday...I am saddened at his passing, but joyful that his suffering has ended.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

As a pretty devout Catholic, this is a very solemn and somber time for me. I'm thinking of the Pope constantly and praying for him often, even after his passing.

Pope John Paul II was an absolute role model to me in so many ways. I am a Catholic before I'm an American. I am a Catholic before I'm a Libertarian. So the Holy Father always is my true leader above any political entity.

The dignity with which the Holy Father endured his declining health and crippling afflictions was exemplary. If anything, it mirrored the dignity and quiet strength shown by Jesus during his passion and crucifixion until he said to God, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" before his final breath. That was Jesus' ONLY complaint during the torture leading to his death, and John Paul followed the same example.

He never quit. He tried to speak to the faithful on Easter. He tried to speak from his balcony Wednesday, could not, yet still blessed the faithful. He even lasted through last night, acknowledging the presence of aides, something many of us didn't think would happen.

I adore the Holy Father as the Vicar of Christ on Earth, but I also appreciate that he was one of the most influential, gigantic world leaders of the last 100 years. He preached to uphold the sanctity of life and the power of love in these terribly secular and hateful times, and his behind-the-scenes work to fortify the Catholic Church behind the Iron Curtain, including his homeland of Poland, helped to topple Communism just as much as Ronald Reagan and the Cold War, something for which John Paul didn't get much and probably didn't want much recognition.

I pray the Lord grants the Holy Father comfort and peace tonight, at home at rest with Him.

We lost one of the most incredible men of this, or any, generation tonight. God bless him.

Take care,
PK
Last edited by pk500 on Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

Thank you.
RIP
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I am not a Catholic but you dont have to be to understand what kind of man he was...Great man...He will be missed.

R I P

Gman33
Mario Mendoza

Post by Gman33 »

Pk, as a devout Catholic myself, I felt the need to come out of "lurk" mode to thank you for your wonderful response. I couldn't have said it/written it better myself. I have been glued to the tv watching all of the coverage and praying. Peace.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Pope John Paul was a great man. As a Protestant, I don't know much of his influence inside the Catholic church, but I sure know of it outside the church. He, along with Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan, helped bring down the Soviet Union without firing a shot. He is the most broadly influential papal figure in history.

My sincere condolences to all those in the Catholic church. I pray he's in Glory, alongside Mother Teresa, resting and enjoying his new life.

Rest easy, John Paul II...your work is done...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Great post, PK. The Church lost a great man today, someone who made Catholicism more personal and human for billions around the world. I am sad he is gone, happy that he no longer will suffer.

I am heartened that I had a chance to see him in person a few years ago, in Rome. He only appeared at his window for the blessing on the crowd, but his presence was immense.

I pray for the College of Cardinals as they prepare to select a successor.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

Pontiff Was Sportsman As Well As Leader

Sat Apr 2, 5:14 PM ET Sports - AP

By ANDREW DAMPF, AP Sports Writer

VATICAN CITY - Pope John Paul II was an avid sportsman, and perhaps the most athletic pontiff in history. While memories of the pope on skis or hiking through the Italian Alps contrast greatly with more recent images of him struggling with debilitating illnesses, John Paul was a vibrant participant in physical activities much of his life.

From his days as "Lolek the Goalie" to numerous hiking and kayaking trips for spiritual gatherings, the pope always found time to satisfy his love for the outdoors.

"He has been a terrific sportsman," said George Weigel, author of a biography of John Paul. "As a young man he was a very active soccer player, a skier, a hiker. As a young priest he became very involved in a ministry to university students built around hiking, skiing and kayaking."

Weigel said the pope had a swimming pool built at his summer residence at Castel Gandolfo during the first summer of his papacy.

"The story goes that he justified it by saying it was cheaper than building a new conclave," he said. "The first 15 years of his pontificate he took breaks to go skiing, and the miracle about that was the Italian paparazzi actually left him alone."

John Paul, who traveled abroad more than any other pope, shared the same stage as many of the world's greatest athletes. And he relished the various audiences he held for professional athletes — from Muhammad Ali to the Globetrotters.

In one of his last such audiences in January, John Paul gave his blessing to the Ferrari auto racing team and its star driver, Michael Schumacher. The pope stressed the importance of team spirit and said Ferrari owed its sports and industrial results to "an enthusiasm that comes from a community spirit."

Athletics were an important part of the pope's life since his years growing up in the Polish town of Wadowice. Karol Wojtyla, as he was called then, was a goalkeeper for his local soccer team.

Pilgrims to Wadowice can still see the field where he played.

When he wasn't playing soccer, "Lolek" — his nickname — would take daring swims in the flooded Skawa River with his boyhood friend Jerzy Kluger during the warmer months. In the winter, the future pontiff played ice hockey on the Skawa's frozen surface and went skiing.

"There wasn't much of a means to go up the mountain in those days, there was only one lift," Kluger said. "We used to walk three, four, five hours to get to the top and then ski down in seven minutes.

"We were like all the other mountain boys, winter was long in Poland."

As pontiff, his energy and perseverance were unlike that of any other pope in recent memory.

"Pius XI as a priest was a very famous mountaineer, that's probably the most recent example," Weigel said of the early 20th century pontiff when asked to name another athletic pope. "And (Saint) Peter was a fisherman."

The pope stopped skiing several years ago, but Kluger said he was still swimming in the pool at Castel Gandolfo as late as August, 2002.

"John Paul II was the pope who chose sports, with all the valor that it represents, as one of the principal vehicles of dialogue with humanity and particularly with youths," Franco Carraro, the Italian soccer federation president, said Saturday.

"Children and sportsmen all over the world, in these 27 years, have had respect and an absolutely extraordinary love for John Paul II," Carraro said. "There is no doubt that his memory will remain in the minds and hearts of everyone."

[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

pk500 wrote:As a pretty devout Catholic, this is a very solemn and somber time for me. I'm thinking of the Pope constantly and praying for him often, even after his passing.

Pope John Paul II was an absolute role model to me in so many ways. I am a Catholic before I'm an American. I am a Catholic before I'm a Libertarian. So the Holy Father always is my true leader above any political entity.

The dignity with which the Holy Father endured his declining health and crippling afflictions was exemplary. If anything, it mirrored the dignity and quiet strength shown by Jesus during his passion and crucifixion until he said to God, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" before his final breath. That was Jesus' ONLY complaint during the torture leading to his death, and John Paul followed the same example.

He never quit. He tried to speak to the faithful on Easter. He tried to speak from his balcony Wednesday, could not, yet still blessed the faithful. He even lasted through last night, acknowledging the presence of aides, something many of us didn't think would happen.

I adore the Holy Father as the Vicar of Christ on Earth, but I also appreciate that he was one of the most influential, gigantic world leaders of the last 100 years. He preached to uphold the sanctity of life and the power of love in these terribly secular and hateful times, and his behind-the-scenes work to fortify the Catholic Church behind the Iron Curtain, including his homeland of Poland, helped to topple Communism just as much as Ronald Reagan and the Cold War, something for which John Paul didn't get much and probably didn't want much recognition.

I pray the Lord grants the Holy Father comfort and peace tonight, at home at rest with Him.

We lost one of the most incredible men of this, or any, generation tonight. God bless him.

Take care,
PK

As I've said earlier...........

Amen.

eman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by eman »

Well said pk.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Well as a devout Catholic I don't share PK's sentiment whole heartedly. I have no problem at all with the man or papalcy.

What John Paul did on the world stage is worthy of praise from everyone and belief. I have no real qualms with that aspect.

My problem is the lack of moving the church forward. As a Catholic, I'm a bit appalled at how the American Church and Vatican handled the sex abuse case here in the US. The vaitican did not come down hard on the American chuch as I would hope it had. I felt the Pope could have been more vocal.

In the time where Irish, Hispanic catholics have stopped having 15 kids. In secret more and more praticing devout catholics are using birth control. Yet the vatican has not determined that this issue should be addressed or modernized.

Lastly is how I feel the church doesn't seem to be addressing the problems of its practitioners. John Paul II has been the most vocal proponent of Peace in the last generation. But it terms of the practicing chuch-goer in Sunday morning, the Church and Pope have not addressed issues we face on an everyday basis.

Maybe this is the case that you can't do everything. Surely his international policies rival anything an American President has done. But I dont' feel John Paul II has adequately moved the church to address today's problems. I'm sure reformation is on the way with the next man to hold the office.

I hope this isn't taken a swipe at the man on his day of passing. I just feel his hardline conservative attitude towards individual issues has not adequately addressed that need for leadership.

Oh and am not a Catholic First or Second. I think its awefully small to think like that. The common thread between being and American and Catholic has always been good will towards humanity or in America's case - caring about the general welfare of ALL people. I'm an American and Catholic, no first because the two things are paradoxically equal.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]