gran tourismo 4

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I picked this up tonight. I know it's not worth $50, but I'm a sucker for the series. :oops:

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

Yeah, me too. It started off slow, but I'm really enjoying myself w/ this one now. Track design is 2nd to none IMO.

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

Is it just me or is racing against the AI alot more fun and challenging this time around?

At first I thought it was because I was driving the slower/smaller cars, but I've started acquiring some more high-powered cars and I'm still having a tough time winning races.

Plus with the adjustable difficulty slider and that point system to challenge yourself I'm seeing a ton of replay value in this game.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Well I had no desire to get this game before it was released but I went to Fry's on Wednesday and they had it running with one of those racing game seats with the wheel attached. It was constantly being used so I couldn't check it out myself but the game looked much better than GT3-A Spec. Looked much faster and the Ring looked great. I keep seeing it on sale at one place or another for $37.99 and the temptation is starting to sink in.

How is everybody feeling about this game now that it's been out a couple of weeks?
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

ScoopBrady wrote:the game looked much better than GT3-A Spec. Looked much faster and the Ring looked great.
I only got to play about 90 minutes last night, but I noticed those points right away.

I don't think the CPU cars run the same lines as much and I saw a some cars make mistakes (run off the road or into a wall). The lines are still predetermined as the CPU cars are oblivious to you, but it seems like there is much more variety.

I really don't think the AI is any worse than PRG2. I used to get so damn pissed at that game when the CPU cars would run me off the road and slam into me.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

what-up scoop :)

been playin it for 1 week now. Upon first inspection, was taken by the beauty. The cars look the same, but there are some beautiful tracks. El Capitan (Yosemite), the Grand Canyon, etc. Remember how the environments used to look so much sharper/3d in replay mode? I don't see much (if any) difference between the in-game and replay graphics now.

car selection? Very underwhelmed. 700 cars my @ss. Tru, Poly includes many distinguished makes (Triumph, Alfa, Jaguar, etc) but neglects to include the real classic models. The car selection is still heavily favored toward the japanese industry. All the old celicas, civics, skylines are there, yay. Basically the car library is GT2, + a few additions.

been working on license tests, mainly. The physics feel the same, to me. Despite bein a simulation fan, the physics still do not feel right to me. It still does not hold a candle to F355 in this department, or some of the others. Following racing-lines, the gravitational pull, still does not feel natural/right. Don't know how to explain it. Maybe the game truly does need to be played in conjunction with the title's specialized wheel (logitec). But is this right?: I finally stopped using a manual transmission setup, because downshifting (when coming up on a sharp turn) yields no added traction or braking. None, zero.

Races? Via the small sample size i have raced: GT1, GT2, GT3 but with cleaner track graphics/resolution.

I have to echo PK's inquiries: What the f#ck has Poly been doing for 3+ years? Refining the graphics engine, track artwork? Unbelievable.

this title is goin back to gamefly, today. It does have value. It includes some wonderful tracks this time, and cough*challenging physics*cough. But, bottom-line is, i would rather be mastering the driving in PGR2 and TOCA 2. Matter of fact, starting up the DC and re-visiting F355 would be better time spent, IMO.

will look to Forza, Enthusia, and TOCA 3. Maybe i will pick-up GT4 at $20, but only for the license tests, and eye-candy.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

btw, GT4 does feature Sears Point. Very fun track. I do not remember seeing it in TOCA 2 ??

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

ScoopBrady wrote:Well I had no desire to get this game before it was released but I went to Fry's on Wednesday and they had it running with one of those racing game seats with the wheel attached. It was constantly being used so I couldn't check it out myself but the game looked much better than GT3-A Spec. Looked much faster and the Ring looked great. I keep seeing it on sale at one place or another for $37.99 and the temptation is starting to sink in.

How is everybody feeling about this game now that it's been out a couple of weeks?
If you have any reservations about the game you probably need to stay away and pick it up later at no/little risk (when it's a Greatest Hit). Almost universally, everyone I've talked to who was excited about the game and expected to love it, did, and everyone who decided they didn't like it months before it came out, didn't.

I think it's a great game... absolutely no doubt about it. I almost wish I had never played a GT game before, because for the few people who fit that profile they are in for quite a time. But there is absolutely no denying the deja vu that will hit you if you've played these games for a great length of time like so many of us have.
I'm happy with my purchase, but I don't need for GT4 to be a game that carries me for a couple of months like if I was on a budget. I pop it in and play it for awhile every so often and there's enough new in the game to satisfy me on that level. I have a friend who can only afford to have 1 or 2 games at once, so he tends to buy games that he can get a lot of replay value out of. He's about to sell his GT4, because he put hundreds of hours in GT3 (literally) and he says he doesn't think GT4 is fresh enough for him to repeat that feat.
"Whatever, I don't know why you even play yourself to that degree,
you laugh at me?" - Del

"Said the whisper to the secret..." - King's X

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Great point, Kaz. That's why I picked it up. I just wanted a driving game that I could play for 20 minutes here and 45 minutes there. I will be perfectly happy if I just play off and on over the next year. "Familiar" isn't necessarily a bad thing to me when it comes to racing games. I usually get left in the dust with the sim games because I can't put time into learning the game properly. I'd rather try out more games than spend a lot of time mastering a couple.

I would definitely recommend waiting on a Greatest Hits purchase for those on a tight budget.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I'm with both of you guys...I just pop it in occasionally to get a racing fix. It's a good pick up and play game that will last a long long time. It will be worth the 50 bucks eventually. LOL.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I just picked it GT4 as part of Gamestops buy 2 used get 1 free along with Fight Night2 and Oddworld...

How do we all feel about it a month later???

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Before the PSP arrived, it was the only thing I was playing besides the baseball games. I pop it in for 15 minutes here and 30 minutes there. I like it and will probably keep it until I retire the PS2.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

XXXIV wrote:I just picked it GT4 as part of Gamestops buy 2 used get 1 free along with Fight Night2 and Oddworld...

How do we all feel about it a month later???
When combined with the Driving Force Pro, I think it's one of the finest driving models I've ever seen in a racing game. The wheel really makes the game, oddly enough. With a controller it felt 'same ol same ol', and with the older Driving Force wheel it just felt sloppy. After getting the DF Pro, it absolutely came to life.

I find myself playing it far more than I care to admit (got all the licenses and whatnot in a day), and I really enjoy driving the cars on each track. The AI, however, is the same sh*t different year. Just take the inside line and hit them, because if you try to take it and drive like a real human being, they'll cut down on you like you weren't even there. There's no difference between this game and any previous one as far as the AI goes, so it can barely be categorized as a "racing" game.

I guess that's why they just call it the "Driving Simulator" :D

I really enjoy it though. It's just "different" from a lot of other racing games. More driving, less racing.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Terry...are you playing GTR yet on the PC? I cannot believe any driving game would be better than that...it's pure bliss.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

No, but I played the mod for F1 2002.

Unless I see it on a shelf nearby, I don't grab it.

<edit>btw, I did say "one of", not "THE best"... :wink:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Get it Terry...it's ridiculously good.

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

I don't have the desire to rip through it and finish it ASAP like GT2, but it's still a great game to pick up and play once in a while between baseball games. I love the new courses, especially the Ring and LeMans.

The B-Spec feature is nice for those long endurance races. The other night my buddy brought his PS2 over and we B-speced a 9-hour endurance race (in 3 hours) on one card while taking turns doing stints driving a shorter endurance race. It was a good time, having two endurance races going at the same time.

I think the AI's alot better than previous GTs (which isn't saying much, I know). They're not as robotic. They crash on their own alot more. And they are definitely more challenging. Even with the high powered cars, it's still a challenge winning some of these races.