gran tourismo 4

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

Well I found the ultimate cheese. I stumbled on it by mistake and now when I need money, I won't be able to stop myself from going back to it. There's a 2 race series that if you win both races gives you a car that you can sell for $265,000 credits. You can race it over and over again and get the car everytime. I hate that I found it...it's like finding a money play in a football game...kinda ruins the game for you.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Badgun wrote:Yeah the game looks amazing at 1080i...you won't find am Xbox game that looks this good.

I played all afternoon and had a blast. The game won't win sim of the year, but it's definitely fun and addictive.
Does it get choppy tho?

If it's true 1080i, hard to believe the framerate wouldn't be hit.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Boom wrote:The graphics, control and sound are all superb IMO... except for one issue. I'm not sure if it's my game or something that plagues everyone, but every once in awhile my screen starts to shake really bad and get a little blurry. Hard to explain, but it's definitely not some effect that is meant to be there.
Are you sure it's not intended? Is it possible that another car has hit you? I watched the video review at Gamespot (I recognize the reviewer from somewhere...hmmm) and they made it sound like there is intentional blurring.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

My screen shakes sometimes too...I thought it was the PS2. Glad to hear it is everyones game. And no, it's not being hit by another car...that's a different kind of blurry. This is almost like pixelation.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

wco81 wrote:
Badgun wrote:Yeah the game looks amazing at 1080i...you won't find am Xbox game that looks this good.

I played all afternoon and had a blast. The game won't win sim of the year, but it's definitely fun and addictive.
Does it get choppy tho?

If it's true 1080i, hard to believe the framerate wouldn't be hit.
You know I thought the exact same thing before I bought the game, but believe it or not I have not seen one ounce of slowdown. The game truly looks better than the best looking Xbox game. There are some tracks that are so beautiful and lifelike that you'd think you were watching a movie because it looks too good to be a video game. I have looked for it, but I have seen no framerate hits whatsoever.

The one downside is that for some reason the game will not save your video settings so you have to go into options and turn 1080i mode on everytime you play. But it is a small inconvenience for such a nice reward.

I'll tell you this, this is proof that 1080i can be done effectively and there is a big payoff, so other developers need to get off their lazy asses and start doing it.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

dbdynsty25 wrote:My screen shakes sometimes too...I thought it was the PS2. Glad to hear it is everyones game. And no, it's not being hit by another car...that's a different kind of blurry. This is almost like pixelation.
db, make sure you have 1080i mode turned on and you won't get the screen jitters. You have to manually turn it on everytime you play the game.

The only time I have ever seen the jitters is when I forgot to enable 1080i.

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

Yeah, you do have to turn on 1080i every time. I finally went to a friend's house who has the game and saw it in 1080i and it looks astounding. I think I will get around to getting this game, since it is a relatively slow period for me (with the exception of the upcoming Dynasty Warriors).
"Whatever, I don't know why you even play yourself to that degree,
you laugh at me?" - Del

"Said the whisper to the secret..." - King's X

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Badgun wrote:db, make sure you have 1080i mode turned on and you won't get the screen jitters. You have to manually turn it on everytime you play the game.

I'm not playing it on the HDTV...just a regular 27 incher. There are some issues.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

Kazuya wrote:Yeah, you do have to turn on 1080i every time. I finally went to a friend's house who has the game and saw it in 1080i and it looks astounding. I think I will get around to getting this game, since it is a relatively slow period for me (with the exception of the upcoming Dynasty Warriors).
Damn, who is that chick in your avatar? She is absolutely stunning.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Badgun wrote:db, make sure you have 1080i mode turned on and you won't get the screen jitters. You have to manually turn it on everytime you play the game.

I'm not playing it on the HDTV...just a regular 27 incher. There are some issues.
Damn bro, what did you buy that HDTV for if you're not going to use it? To me this is what HDTVs are made for. This is one out of a handful of 1080i games and most of the others suck...you need to enjoy this game the way it was meant to be played...and you won't have to worry about screen jitters anymore.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Badgun wrote:Damn bro, what did you buy that HDTV for if you're not going to use it? To me this is what HDTVs are made for. This is one out of a handful of 1080i games and most of the others suck...you need to enjoy this game the way it was meant to be played...and you won't have to worry about screen jitters anymore.
I went up to my cabin to go skiing on Friday and Saturday...so I didn't exactly bring my HDTV with me. I never got around to playing it when I was home...I just brought the PS2 up to the mountains with me.

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

Badgun wrote:Damn, who is that chick in your avatar? She is absolutely stunning.
It's a Dallas Mavericks Dancer named Melody. I was about to rotate in a new avatar, but I'll keep her aound a few more days for you.
you laugh at me?" - Del

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

Kazuya wrote:
Badgun wrote:Damn, who is that chick in your avatar? She is absolutely stunning.
It's a Dallas Mavericks Dancer named Melody. I was about to rotate in a new avatar, but I'll keep her aound a few more days for you.
She is a doll...she takes my breath away. :lol:

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

Badgun wrote:
Kazuya wrote:
She is a doll...she takes my breath away. :lol:
She looks great... I keep making goo goo eyes at her when I go to the game but I can't get close enough for her to see me. If I can get a courtside seat under the basket, then I might have a chance to ask her for her phone number while they are sitting on the sideline during play. Unfortunately, doing all of that manuevering is a bit too much for me and goes against my personal code of fixating on one chick, regardless of how nice she is. s***, maybe Dirk Nowitzki can hook me up, it seems like I see him once a year or so at some eatery on Greenville...
you laugh at me?" - Del

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

Question about buying parts and upgrading.

I purchased a part and it started to install it to my car. I accidently hit cancel to the part didn't get put on. Now when I click on that part again in the shop it says that it's already been purchased.

How do in put the ugrade on my car now?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Boom wrote:Question about buying parts and upgrading.

I purchased a part and it started to install it to my car. I accidently hit cancel to the part didn't get put on. Now when I click on that part again in the shop it says that it's already been purchased.

How do in put the ugrade on my car now?
Before you start a race you can select what options you're using for each part. It's one of the options on the lineup screen. I believe if you install it, it will stay installed.

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

thx db!

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Kazuya wrote:
I think you need to give us a briefing each time you switch up pics. I liked that redhead you had up one or two back, too. ;)

b_assassin
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by b_assassin »

Boom wrote: The graphics, control and sound are all superb IMO... except for one issue. I'm not sure if it's my game or something that plagues everyone, but every once in awhile my screen starts to shake really bad and get a little blurry. Hard to explain, but it's definitely not some effect that is meant to be there.

I'd hate to think that this is a general problem with everyone because I'd be baffled to think how this got through testing like this.
I've noticed the very same thing, and I'm running the game in 480i. It seems to happen when you have most or all cars on screen at the same time, AA stops and the screen shakes like mad.

I've seen similar effects in other games, and it was usually done intentionally to keep the framerate steady. In GT4's case, it sounds like an artifact of running the game in 480i, considering that those running in 1080i don't notice it. Guess I need to drag my PS2 to the HDTV upstairs...:)

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

I think the momentary blurry graphics thing is an intentional effect. It happens when you hit something hard (like another car or a wall) or get hit hard. It's kind of a cool effect. Not as cool as damage though. :)

The adjustable difficulty feature and the A-Spec points system is really cool. Each and every race is worth a possible 200 points. The more you challenge yourself, the more points you'll get for the win. The 200 pt. races are almost impossible to win. I've won a few races worth 120-150 pts. They were real white-knucklers!!! Something I'm not used to in Gran Turismo!

It's a nice addition. It forces you to try to drive better to beat the AI instead of just loading up your car with more HP to win.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

lexbur wrote:I think the momentary blurry graphics thing is an intentional effect. It happens when you hit something hard (like another car or a wall) or get hit hard. It's kind of a cool effect. Not as cool as damage though. :)
See the explanations above...that's not what it is. It's almost like the game is grainy, like it's running at a really low resolution. There is a big difference between the two graphical issues. One is the BAD one (grainy), and one is the one you're talking about where it gets blurry when you hit something.

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

I think the momentary blurry graphics thing is an intentional effect. It happens when you hit something hard (like another car or a wall) or get hit hard. It's kind of a cool effect. Not as cool as damage though.
I know this effect that you're speaking of (all too well I'm afraid) and believe me when I say... what I'm trying to describe is not this.

There's something wrong and that fact that some people apparently aren't seeing it's making me wonder WTF.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sf_z wrote:It doesn't affect gameplay but it it's a wart on what are otherwise gorgeous graphics
Right...that's what I'm trying to say. The game looks badass regardless...it is just a random glitch that is a little annoying, but by no means a gamekiller or anything.

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

That's weird I haven't noticed it yet. I'll have to pay attention next time I'm on SS Rt 5 Reverse. I think I've been there but I'm not sure. There's so many friggin' tracks in this game. :)