gran tourismo 4

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

gran tourismo 4

Post by fletcher21 »

its supposed to be out today... anyone have it and opinions ?

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

I'm picking it up in about 30. Might be able to post some impressions late tonight.

I already know the racing model isnt' the best, but I can have one hell of a time w/ a racer just trying to beat my own times and set my own personal records on tracks.

Plus, I'm actually quite intrigued by the rally mode for some reason.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/driving/gra ... eview.html

Gamespot's review gives it a (8.9 ). Not one mention in the review regarding the AI in the game. That's ok because it lacks one.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/driving/gra ... eview.html

Gamespot's review gives it a (8.9 ). Not one mention in the review regarding the AI in the game. That's ok because it lacks one.
Wow -- a review of less than 9 for a Gran Turismo game from a major review site? That really is stunning. Maybe the mainstream gaming media is starting to wake up and realize that the GT series is becoming Tomb Raider with four wheels -- just milk the tits off a tired franchise with minimal improvements other than graphics.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

Boom wrote:I'm picking it up in about 30. Might be able to post some impressions late tonight.

I already know the racing model isnt' the best, but I can have one hell of a time w/ a racer just trying to beat my own times and set my own personal records on tracks.

Plus, I'm actually quite intrigued by the rally mode for some reason.
Don't let the haters keep you down, post your impressions. I am sort of lukewarm on the game, but I might give it a look if it's fun. I'm hearing some decent things on some general PS2 boards.
"Whatever, I don't know why you even play yourself to that degree,
you laugh at me?" - Del

"Said the whisper to the secret..." - King's X

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote: Wow -- a review of less than 9 for a Gran Turismo game from a major review site? That really is stunning. Maybe the mainstream gaming media is starting to wake up and realize that the GT series is becoming Tomb Raider with four wheels -- just milk the tits off a tired franchise with minimal improvements other than graphics.

Take care,
PK
pk I totally agree, but most importantly some gamers are starting to catch on as well.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/driving/gra ... id=3284274
Gran Turismo 3: Revisited

The driving itself feels akin to GT3, but with the cars exhibiting way too much bodyroll. You almost get seasick in some of the cars. And they sound as hideous as always. I don't get why they can't get this right. They say they record the sounds from the real cars, but I sure as hell don't notice it. Most of them sound like a beefed up fridge or something.

There's really not much more to say, it feels like an expansion pack with more cars, tracks and Photomode. Still no online, car damage, collision physics or decent AI

Good Tomb Raider analogy :lol:

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Played it at EB tonight...

I would be hard pressed to even call it Gran Turismo 3.5.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

It's Gran Turismo, nuff said. Not a surprise around here, but added confirmation never hurt.

Get B License, get A License, get IB License etc etc.

Graphics are superb, make no mistake about it.

Game starts out slow, just the same as any and every GT game before it.

Basically if you despise GT, you won't change your opinion about the series after playing 4.

IF you like the GT series, you'll continue to do so.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

This is what IGN had to say.
"One area that we would've liked to have seen more refinement in was the AI of the other drivers. These virtual racers will follow their line with little concern for where the human driver is at any one time. After cutting through a corner tighter than the competition you can expect to get a friendly bump on the side as another driver follows his directions blindly. You can also expect the AI-controlled cars to be conservative when it comes to taking the turns, braking early and cautiously. This gives the player the advantage in courses with lots of turns or even just a few tight angles. One of the new rally courses, Tahiti Maze, provides so many turns that it's possible to get a huge gap ahead of the competition.

To be extra sure that the AI was following its line with no reaction from the player I did a simple test. I fired up an arcade game on a track and after starting the race I did a 180 and parked the car square on the racing line. Sure enough, when the cars came around again they didn't react at all at slammed head-on into my car. Even when I parked my car a little to the side or even just barely in the way it would still get hit. There's no reaction at all."
You tell me if AI means anything in that review. Looks like they just gave it points for having a bajizillion cars.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

Same old same old, but I like it. I find it very addicting.

Me and my friend were on the phone with eachother racing to see who could get the B license first. There's 16 pretty easy tests, it was a blast. He won by a nose.

The AI really sucks after playing TOCA2 so much.

It's cool you get cars as you get lisences, so hopefully you don't have to buy as many crappy used cars.

Laguna's as beautiful as ever, better lighting than in GT3. Tons of tracks. Alot of them unlocked right off the bat... Suzuka, Infineon, Motegi, some old favorites from GT2 like High Speed Ring and Autumn ring.

The spectators at the Grand Canyon rally track are cool. Some of them actually stand in the track to take your picture and dive out of the way at the last second. The crowd leans forward looking for you to come around the corner, then backs away as you blast buy.

I know, you hard core racing sim fans are rolling your eyes, but I thought it was cool. :)

I hopped in a brand new BMW M5 and did the Green Hell in about 8 minutes 20 seconds. Sweet.

After about three hours I'm 0.1% done.

Basically nothing new, except a Ford Model T, Jay Leno's Tank Car, and a useless Photo Mode. If you're already a GT-basher, this game will definitely add fuel to your fire.

But if you're a GT fan, you'll love it. It'll easily hold me over until Forza comes out.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

lexbur wrote:The spectators at the Grand Canyon rally track are cool. Some of them actually stand in the track to take your picture and dive out of the way at the last second. The crowd leans forward looking for you to come around the corner, then backs away as you blast buy.
It is cool, but it's nothing new. The crowds in V-Rally 2 for the Dreamcast did the same thing -- four years ago.

Glad they added the 'Ring, though.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote: It is cool, but it's nothing new. The crowds in V-Rally 2 for the Dreamcast did the same thing -- four years ago.

Take care,
PK
Wow thanks for the trip back to memory lane. V-Rally 2 was a very cool game. I even remember the track editor and track generator. The graphics were first rate too. They could compete even on today's consoles.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Look, I have nothing against the GT series, but after playing it for two hours or so last night at EB, my co-worker and I were left scratching our heads. We popped in a copy of GT3 to compare and were left scratching our heads even more.

I have to ask…what the f*ck were they developing for the last 3 f*cking years!?!?!?!? Now, I understand all the things that do make GT series pretty outstanding (amount of cars, driving model, depth, graphics, ect…), however, I just cannot believe that after THREE YEARS they could not add things like a driver in the car (for hardtops), better AI (especially if they are not going to have a damage model), an Online mode, ect…

Even graphically, there is not enough of an advancement IMO. I suspect that is more because they blew their wad on GT3 and really left no room for major improvements on the PS2 hardware. Even the cool additions like the picture mode seem underdeveloped. I kept reading how cool and addicting the picture mode was and we actually spent a bit last night playing with that. I was under whelmed. Even though I know this is a small addition, the options after they give you are VERY limiting for this mode. I though it would be much more robust (like being able to change time of day, change background objects, more filters like B&W, Sepia, ect…) Again, I know this is not a main mode, but if they obviously did not spend the last 3 years developing a better driving game, perhaps they could have at least made the additional modes more robust.

Believe me, I wanted to like it. I was actually considering picking it up if it ‘wow’ed!’ me. And even my co-worker who was excited for the game decided that it was not worth picking up.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

"racing" in the GT series =

what. a. waste.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Spooky wrote:Look, I have nothing against the GT series, but after playing it for two hours or so last night at EB, my co-worker and I were left scratching our heads. We popped in a copy of GT3 to compare and were left scratching our heads even more.
You spent two hours last night in an EB Games? And I thought I was obsessive about games.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Spooky wrote:Look, I have nothing against the GT series, but after playing it for two hours or so last night at EB, my co-worker and I were left scratching our heads. We popped in a copy of GT3 to compare and were left scratching our heads even more.
You spent two hours last night in an EB Games? And I thought I was obsessive about games.
Spooky works at EB.

Take care,
PK

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

pk500 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Spooky works at EB.

Take care,
PK
Thank you PK! DB, go back to waiting for your TV.

Oh, and I think that the term 'work' might be a bit strong. :wink: :)

It is nice though. I am 'employed' (part time) at a very slow store which has its advantages and disadvantages (but mostly advantages). I usually work a 5 to 9:30 shift and on the slow nights we just sh*t off a lot. Like playing full 25 event Athens Olympics (989’s last Olympic effort that is actually very fun multiplayer) and trying out all the games. The guys are work with are really good guys too. They have very similar gaming outlooks to us here.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Spooky wrote:Thank you PK! DB, go back to waiting for your TV.
You have no idea man. I tore down my entertainment center last night to reconfigure it all on a new a/v rack that matches my set...it was pretty cool. Now I've got this gaping hole where the tv goes...just teasing me every time I walk by. Hopefully Sears comes through and delivers on time or earlier (3-5pm PST). I've got a Suns game to watch tonight on it.

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

GT4 is obviously designed for larger HDTVs. Some of the type is so small on my regular 25" TV it's hard to read.

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

i was thinking the same thing, 3 years to develop a game with NO online and its almost the same as the one before it? and people complain about madden's engine...lol

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

kicko wrote:i was thinking the same thing, 3 years to develop a game with NO online and its almost the same as the one before it? and people complain about madden's engine...lol
Yeah, I'm in the midst of a war at the OS Racing forum because I'm asking GT fanboys -- all of whom are praising the game as "awesome" and "light years ahead of GT 3" -- for specifics of what Polyphony did to improve the game over the last three years.

The only responses I've seen are "graphics" and "more cars," not a damn thing about the actual racing or driving models. That's because Polyphony hasn't done a thing to those since the first GT was released in 1998.

Take care,
PK

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

I stopped reading, when one gamer praised GT for it's supreme racing and despite playing TOCA 2, dismissed that game as "crap". !??@! Don't have the stomach, or desire to waste time with f#cking idiots.

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

pk500 wrote:Yeah, I'm in the midst of a war at the OS Racing forum because I'm asking GT fanboys -- all of whom are praising the game as "awesome" and "light years ahead of GT 3" -- for specifics of what Polyphony did to improve the game over the last three years.

The only responses I've seen are "graphics" and "more cars," not a damn thing about the actual racing or driving models. That's because Polyphony hasn't done a thing to those since the first GT was released in 1998.

Take care,
PK
It's funny, I consider myself a GT fanboy, but I would never say it's "light years ahead of GT3."

Awesome, maybe. :)

And I also agree with all of the criticism it's received here, the biggest being basically that, "after THREE years THIS is all they came up with???"

Like I said in my first post, it's basically the same old same old with a few new bells and whistles.

I'm with you guys, I wish the AI wasn't so brain-dead and I wish there was damage and I can't understand why after three years they don't incorporate some of these things that have been done very well in other racing games to truly make it the ultimate racing game.

But for some inexplicable reason, I just can't wait to go home tonight and play some more. There's an addicting fun factor to this game that's missing in alot of racing games. Maybe it's the dangling carrot of unlocking all those goodies. Or maybe deep down I am a graphics whore who doesn't care about gameplay. I dunno.

I feel like the people in those old Tony the Tiger Frosted Flakes commercials. They're hidden in the shadows and they admit the like Frosted Flakes, even though they're adults and they're not supposed to admit they eat it.