PK: Try Tonight for the DSP Rally Event? (1/24)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

PK: Try Tonight for the DSP Rally Event? (1/24)

Post by Zeppo »

It's monday. Since we missed saturday night, should we try tonight instead?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'd love to.

10:30 p.m. (EST)? Who will host?

You may want to have someone else host in case I doze off again. No new snow today, but I'm still a bit nicked around the edges from three hours of skiing and 90 minutes of shoveling 15 inches of snow yesterday. But I'm more than happy to host if no one else is available.

See you tonight!

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Well, I would love to host, but my ban connection makes the voice useless with any more than 3 or 4 guys in my room.

Plus, you had some special events all lined up and ready to go, right?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Well, I didn't get around to building those events before passing out. But I can do that tonight and have them ready to rip. And we can do the Ray Charles Memorial Smack Rally, too.

I'll play host. 10:30 p.m. (EST) it is!

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

pk500 wrote:And we can do the Ray Charles Memorial Smack Rally, too.
Now that's what I'm talking about!

It'll be a pretty dry evening if it's only you and I in the room, though. We need more drivers!

C'mon gang, who else is up for this tonight?

mixdj1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mixdj1 »

I'd like in on this. I'm definitely pumped for some rallying after watching Monte Carlo last night.

mixdj1

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I'm most likely out for tonight, but if I'll look for you if I make it online.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

I'll try my best to be there. Playing some Outlaw Golf 2 with some friends at 9:30.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

I will try to be there as well.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Massive fun last night, boys. Really enjoyed it. We all were driving our asses off!

Let's do it again soon.

Thanks again,
PK

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

No, you guys were driving your asses off. Me on the other hand...well let's not go there lol

mixdj1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mixdj1 »

Yeah, I forgot how much fun this game is. I can't believe I let it collect dust on the shelf for so long. I'm really looking forward to the next DSP rally. I did learn one thing last night though ... I definitely cannot drive those group B cars. :?

mixdj1

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

For some reason, I almost drive better in the Group B than the 4WD. Inexplicable, other than that maybe the power-inducing sliding of the Group B's suits my driving style better than the 4WD's.

Either that, or I was more f*cked up when driving the Group B's. Probably the latter ... :)

Let's rally again soon!

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

One of the reasons I like the Group B's is because you can use all of the power to pull yourself out of trouble when you drift wide. The accelerator is more of a safety net with these cars than any other class, but it also can ruin you quickly if you let the speed get out of control.

Take care,
PK

mixdj1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mixdj1 »

pk500 wrote:but it also can ruin you quickly if you let the speed get out of control.
Yep, definitely experienced that last night. :lol: I just need to get some practice with them though. I've driven the Lancer exclusively since I purchased the game.

mixdj1

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Mix:

Yeah, I had Subaru Impreza myopia until I decided to take some other cars for a spin about a month ago. Glad I did -- there are some really fun cars in all classes throughout the game.

Take care,
PK

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

To tie-in CMR with our favorite, the GT series, the Group B cars remind me of driving with some of the super-powerful cars in GT3, like the Toyota GT One. You can totally blow a corner and get through it much slower than you could have, but the car takes off so quickly that you're at top speed before you know it, quickly negating the loss.

The 2WD (and in GT, the Miatas and other crap) are the hardest for me, since a 5mph decrease in cornering speed will haunt you until you have to slow down again.

But I can't drive those Group B cars for s*** yet.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave:

Good point about the 2WD cars. I struggle in those cars because my style isn't conducive to smooth momentum, and that's absolutely vital in the lesser-powered cars, as you said.

I tend to throw the car around and manhandle it, and there's no better car in the game for that than a Group B car.

If I'm hosting, we're running Group B's. Just kidding! :)

Take care,
PK

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Sorry I missed you guys last night. Was too wrapped up in some Outlaw Golf 2 action. Sounds like I missed a great time. :cry:

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

PK, I think we have similar 'driving' styles, but for some reason I just can't translate it to Group B cars. It is also the reason I think I suck on ice, I break up the momentum too much and the car is moving sideways more than forward once past the corner's apex. I know I lose too much momentum through 3-5 corners.

Is it sad that I can sit around and think about driving styles in videogames for way too long?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:Is it sad that I can sit around and think about driving styles in videogames for way too long?
If it is, then you have company, my friend. Some guys sit around and wonder about three-point shooting slider settings or defensive back AI; we sit around and think about gear and damper settings and clipping corner apexes. :)

Take care,
PK

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

It's a slow day at work today, and now I just want to get home and put in some rallying time.

Much like others, this one was collecting dust as I was hooked on hoops, but the (aborted Saturday Night) planned rally nights got this one back in the Box.

White knuckling the controller at it's finest.

Also threw in Indycar racing for the first time in a while for some laps around Gateway, your favorite PK. That game is so damn frustrating because of how close it was to being the CMR of open-wheel oval racing.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:White knuckling the controller at it's finest.
Absolutely. This game gives me the butt-puckers more than any other game in any other genre, even Ghost Recon 2. Sometimes I actually have to stand up, exhale and stretch out after some stages. It's that gripping and that demanding.

Take care,
PK

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

That was awesome last night, guys. Some of those high-speed sections are indeed truly pucker-inducing. I wish we could adjust setpus online, that rev. limiter was working hard, especially in that Group B car.

Speaking of which, you guys need to open up some cars! I wish there were an easy way for you guys to make them available, but I don't know of one. Maybe if you have an AR you can find an option file online somewhere?

The point is, it was great to go into the Group B, and I would love to get a bit more variety in the classes we run, but none of that's any good if everyone only has one car to choose from.

Anyway, I'm glad we got that in last night. Let's do it again soon.

Kruza
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by Kruza »

It was a fun session last night. We had some real close total times at the end of our rallies. And I had some memorable crashes too. Like the 2 crashes I had in one of those stages in Spain where my Peugeot 206 car flipped off the side of the bridge. Spectacular stuff, heh.

As for driving Group B car... man, that Audi Quattro was fun yet frustrating to drive. I would barely tap on the throttle and it would take off like a rocket. It was really fun going over the hills and making those jumps at Finland and Australia, although I admit at times I was too scared to go past 4th gear in that car even though my co-driver yelled for me to go full speed ahead. However, the worst for me in the Quattro was getting through those windy sand roads at USA. On many of those bends at USA I found myself slowing down too much from turning too much toward the apex at the entry. I couldn't get comfortable with its steering behavior at all. I had some bad steering moments handling the gravel roads at Greece too.

Kruza