Gran Turismo 4 Import Review !

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

It is definitely a great hot-lapping game. In the original, I could spend a lot of time just spitting out lap after lap, trying to improve a tenth here and there.

It's just that by the fourth installment it should be more than that.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Zeppo, as always, is on the money.

There's a lot to like about GT. The physics are really nice. But their approach hasn't changed since day 1. They're probably thinking, why should we? After all three of the installments have sold very well. I owned all 3 at some point.

But games have to evolve, or eventually even the casual gamer will get tired. We all bash Madden to some degree as being the same, but it has come a long way since 2001 appeared on the PS2. PK's Tomb Raider analogy is dead on. That was an innovative game that just got ground into dust by Eidos because they essentially made the same game over and over. Eventually, the only people left playing it were hardcore TR fans -- even my wife, who played every PS1 iteration, got bored after a while.

After reading that review, I'd rather play PGR2 right now than GT4. I can get all the car collecting and tracks I could want, with damage, online play, and better racing AI. And I'm probably one of the target audiences, the gaming enthusiast who is not a hardcore race fan.

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Gran Turismo on the PS1 was an incredible achievement. One of my favorite videogames of all time. Probably put in about 500 hours in that game (of course, I didn't have any kids at that time). :P

Gran Turismo 2, more of the same with more cars and tracks. However, because it was so similar to the original that I played to death, I wasn't as floored by it. The AI was still piss poor.

Gran Turismo 3, a game that made me by the Playstation 2 after playing the demo. I was in absolute awe by the graphics it displayed in 2001. Figured this was the time that PD was going to get the AI down pat. Take home the game, and was pretty damn disappointed with it. Still put in about 40 hours into it, but didn't have a ton of fun with the game. My expectations were very high, but PD didn't even come close to delivering what I wanted to see.

Gran Turismo 4, originally slated for a Sept. 2004 release. The only game I was holding onto my PS2 for. Release date got bumped to November, and was learning more about FORZA. My PS2 was starting to get worse, so figure I will sell it. Could buy a new sleaker version of the PS2 when GT4 was released.

Well, now there is no online at all for GT4. Finding out the AI is still horrible. So basically, we are getting GT3 with a few new tracks and more eye candy. No thanks, I'll pass. Plus, the Xbox controller is much better than the Dual Shock controller when it comes to driving games.

RiverRat
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by RiverRat »

Consider me another lemming.

I don't know why, but I just like playing this game. It's not a racing title for sure, but I don't buy it for the racing. Not sure why I buy it because I'm not that big a car freak either.

But for me, it's fun. I like it and my kids like it too. Most people hate the license tests, but there's just something about it that keeps me coming back. Still, the most intense gaming experience I have ever had on any game on any console was the last S-license test in GT3 on the Cote D'Azur. After three hours of on-and-off playing, I literally started to hyperventilate when I made the last corner and realized I was finally going to get BRONZE. Now that's a game.

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

RiverRat wrote: Still, the most intense gaming experience I have ever had on any game on any console was the last S-license test in GT3 on the Cote D'Azur. After three hours of on-and-off playing, I literally started to hyperventilate when I made the last corner and realized I was finally going to get BRONZE. Now that's a game.
I hear ya!

When I came out of that final corner at Laguna yesterday and saw the ghost I had been chasing for three years in my rearview mirror, I know it sounds corny, but it was easily the most exciting video-gaming experience I've ever had. It seemed to take forever to get to the finish line!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Boys:

I know the feeling. I literally jumped up and down screaming like a madman on crack when I passed the final license test in GT 1.

Problem is, I could pop in GT 1 and get the same feeling I did if I popped in GT 2 or GT 3. The series has not progressed.

In fact, it has regressed when it comes to license tests. The license tests were ridiculously easy in GT 2 compared to GT 1, and they only became slightly stiffer in GT 3. The upper license tests in GT 1 were a bear but very satisfying to complete.

That said, I got more satisfaction out of completing the license tests in GT 1 than I did the actual racing. Take that as either praise or an indictment of the game -- your pick.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

I too enjoy the GT series. I played them alot.

But why buy GT4 over GT3?

RiverRat
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by RiverRat »

I can see your point about it not progressing. I never played GT1. I played GT2 to death, having completed it 100% at least twice and starting again just this past weekend. I played GT3 about half-way through but quit out of boredom and went back to GT2.

I've probably played GT2 more than any other game I've ever owned. WE7 and/or NCAA Football 2004 are probably the highest quality games I've ever owned, but GT2 has gotten over the years the most playing time.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

If they do come out with an online supplement and the only difference was that it offered online play, it would be interesting to see how it sells compared to the basic disc.

Only a fraction of the people who buy games ever bother to go online and online racing doesn't seem to be as big in Japan.

So this could be a good measure of how popular online is.

Then again, in Japan, people are paying to play online on some of the same games which have no online fees over here.

PD plans to release like a half-dozen variations or editions of the game so maybe they will dilute the appeal of the brand.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

RiverRat wrote:I can see your point about it not progressing. I never played GT1. I played GT2 to death, having completed it 100% at least twice and starting again just this past weekend. I played GT3 about half-way through but quit out of boredom and went back to GT2.

I've probably played GT2 more than any other game I've ever owned. WE7 and/or NCAA Football 2004 are probably the highest quality games I've ever owned, but GT2 has gotten over the years the most playing time.
River:

I highly recommend you picking up a copy of GT 1 on the cheap and playing it in your PS2. Yeah, the graphics won't be up to snuff compared to today's games, but the license tests are a b*tch. Really fun to attempt and complete.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

The craziest thing I remember from GT1 is using the original PS1 controller for it. Was the Dual Shock even out yet? Hard to believe how much fun that game was with purely off/on control.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Dave wrote:The craziest thing I remember from GT1 is using the original PS1 controller for it. Was the Dual Shock even out yet? Hard to believe how much fun that game was with purely off/on control.
As I remember it, the first PSX analog controller was the new deal that GT broke in. Later I think they added the rumble. Those first PSX analog controller had the smooth plastic, concave sticks, not the rubbery convex analog stix the dual shock has.

mixdj1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mixdj1 »

Dave wrote:The craziest thing I remember from GT1 is using the original PS1 controller for it. Was the Dual Shock even out yet?
The NeGcon from Namco was the only way to play GT1 and GT2 for me. :P I still have mine stuffed in a drawer somewhere. If I remember correctly they dropped support for the neGcon in GT3 but I had the force feedback wheel so it didn't bother me too much.

mixdj1

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Zeppo wrote:
Dave wrote:The craziest thing I remember from GT1 is using the original PS1 controller for it. Was the Dual Shock even out yet? Hard to believe how much fun that game was with purely off/on control.
As I remember it, the first PSX analog controller was the new deal that GT broke in. Later I think they added the rumble. Those first PSX analog controller had the smooth plastic, concave sticks, not the rubbery convex analog stix the dual shock has.
I think the rumble was there from the beginning (hence "Dual Shock"). I bought it specifically for GT. I think the right stick was used for acceleration/braking. Made a huge difference.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Brando70 wrote:
Zeppo wrote:
I think the rumble was there from the beginning (hence "Dual Shock"). I bought it specifically for GT. I think the right stick was used for acceleration/braking. Made a huge difference.
I don't think so, man. I still have one of those original analog controllers, and I'm pretty sure it didn't have any rumble. I think it was about that same time that StarFox 64 came out, with it's 'rumble pack' add-on included.

mixdj1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mixdj1 »

Zeppo wrote:I don't think so, man. I still have one of those original analog controllers, and I'm pretty sure it didn't have any rumble. I think it was about that same time that StarFox 64 came out, with it's 'rumble pack' add-on included.
Correct. I bought one of the original analog controllers to play G Police. But the dual shock came out soon after to go along with the release of Gran Turismo.

mixdj1

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Ah, so I was mistaken! The dual shock came out with the game then. And the analog controller had been out before then? I wonder why I got it then, I could have sworn I bought the controller for that game. Hmmm.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Man, I think I bought the neGcon at least twice, maybe three times, but I never could wrap my head around it. The fault was all mine, as that was one awesome controller. I just couldn't get the feel for it.

Take care,
PK

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

I keep reading about that Toca game. Is it good? I can get it for $15 around here.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:I keep reading about that Toca game. Is it good? I can get it for $15 around here.
As Tony the Tiger would say, "It's GRRRRRREAT!"

Seriously, it's a gem and a steal for 15 bones.

Take care,
PK

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

mixdj1 wrote:
Zeppo wrote:I don't think so, man. I still have one of those original analog controllers, and I'm pretty sure it didn't have any rumble. I think it was about that same time that StarFox 64 came out, with it's 'rumble pack' add-on included.
Correct. I bought one of the original analog controllers to play G Police. But the dual shock came out soon after to go along with the release of Gran Turismo.

mixdj1
You're right, Mix, I forgot about that. I never bought the analog one, I remember holding off for the Dual Shock.