Best books about baseball

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Best books about baseball

Post by matthewk »

For Christmas I got 2 new baseball books; The Baseball Compendium and the Neyer/James guide to pitchers. Both are great reads (so far) and references. The pitchers guide will be VERY helpful when making historical rosters in the future.

Now that its too cold to go for walks during my lunch hour, I plan on reading a lot more. I've got the baseball bug lately and I'm looking for more "must read" books about baseball. I'm open to anything from biographies (like Ball Four?) to stats/reference material (like Total Baseball).

On a related subject, does anyone know of a site (or software) that has a baseball stats database? I'm basically looking for Total baseball in database form. I have a pretyy detailted that I got somewhere online back in 2001, but it's slowly getting out of date, and there may be even more stats I'm missing.
-Matt

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Have you checked out?:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/

I loved Ball Four.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

No baseball fan should be without:

1. Weaver on Strategy, Earl Weaver

2. Bill James' Guide to Baseball Managers

Lots of James' stuff is awesome, but the under-appreciated and rarely-cited Guide has an incredible array of stuff on a wider variety of topics than most of his single-topic books.

3. Bill James' Historical Baseball Abstract

4. Ball Four, Jim Bouton

5. The Glory of Their Times, Lawrence Ritter
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

snate
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snate »

I could give you a list that goes on forever. Here are two that I have read in the last few months that are fantastic:

A Day in the Bleachers - Arnold Hano
Bums - Peter Golenbock

Rob - Ritter's book is fantastic. Have you seen the CD's containing the actual interviews he used to write the book? It is an absolute treasure. Check it out.

NoJoke
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by NoJoke »

A long time ago I read a great bio on Lou Gehrig. I think it was called "The Iron Horse". There was another great bio on Roy Campenella, but I can't remember its name of hand. Both were good reads.

snate
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snate »

As for databases, there are two free ones that I have downloaded and use:

the baseball archive - http://www.baseball1.com/

And my absolute favorite utility - the baseball almanac:

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Slop ... index.html

jimd
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by jimd »

My favorite baseball book:

"Summer of '49" by David Halberstam.

Great read, great author.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Moneyball is by far the best baseball book I've ever read. Actually its the best nonfiction book I've ever read. Bill James' Historical Baseball Abstract is referenced endlessly in Moneyball. So entertaining if you are a baseball lover. Some of the stories told in the book take me back to my days in pro ball. Very cool stuff. In a weird way I'm an A's fan of sorts after reading the book...really.

Jeff
Mario Mendoza

Post by Jeff »

Just finished a real good book about the 1975 season, especially focusing on the BoSox and Reds and the, then new concept of free-agency. Its called "Long Ball" by Tom Adelman. I would highly recommend it.

Another good one is called "Teamates." I borrowed it from a friend and cannot recall the author. It centers on Johnny Pesky, Bobby Doerr and Dom DiMaggio of the Red Box and their close relationship with the "Splendid Splinter" Ted Williams, even through his last days.

"October Men" which chronicles the Yankees team of 1977-78 is an enjoyable read too. "Summer of 49" and "October of 64" are very good as well.

I have also heard as mentioned earlier that "Moneyball" is vey good.

Good Reading,

Jeff

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

The Glory of Their Times.

Spectacular book.
No High Scores:
http://www.nohighscores.com/

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

Spaceman - Bill Lee
Bronx Zoo - Sparky Lyle

For more 'serious' reading, Roger Kahn (I especially liked his book about owning a minor league team - having worked for the Durham Bulls), Roger Angel, Tom Boswell. Lots of good stuff out there. Great reading while eating. I always read sports while eating.

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

Jeff wrote:
Another good one is called "Teamates." I borrowed it from a friend and cannot recall the author. It centers on Johnny Pesky, Bobby Doerr and Dom DiMaggio of the Red Box and their close relationship with the "Splendid Splinter" Ted Williams, even through his last days.
"Teammates" is an excellent book (and this coming from a Yankees fan).

I also liked "Cobb: A Biography" by Al Stump.

Rick

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Bill_Abner wrote:The Glory of Their Times.

Spectacular book.
I rented this from the library this week. What an awesome book. I would consider it a must read for any baseball fan or even any sports fan.

snate
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snate »

Leebo33 wrote:

Spectacular book.
I rented this from the library this week. What an awesome book. I would consider it a must read for any baseball fan or even any sports fan.
Leebs - if you liked the book you should track down the cd's - it contains the actual interviews that Ritter used to write the book. It is one of my most prized possessions.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

snate wrote:
Leebo33 wrote:

Spectacular book.
Leebs - if you liked the book you should track down the cd's - it contains the actual interviews that Ritter used to write the book. It is one of my most prized possessions.
Snate, I'll do that. Our county library system actually has the CDs as well.