Guess who's an NBA fan???

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Guess who's an NBA fan???

Post by Jackdog »

Yep boys I have come to the dark side.

I am retired now and while I work out I have been watching NBA replays throughout the day on DirecTv. I have to admit I am loving it. I like watching the Cavs live and whoever else is on throughout the next day.

I stay away from NBA scores the night before and do not know the outcome of the games.

Today I watched the Celtics vs Warriors and Heat vs Knicks. Good games. I am watching the Bulls vs Hornets now with the Kings vs Raptors on deck.

My name is Jack and I am an addict. :wink:

I don't know why I stayed away from the NBA for so long most of the players smoke the same brand as me :wink:

Peace.
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I'm really enjoying this season. The Sixers have actually been playing some decent basketball. I haven't checked to back it up statistically, but it seems like shooting is better and scoring is up.

reeche
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by reeche »

Lebron can make anyone a fan of the game. The kid is awesome. Glad to hear you are enjoying the season. I'm a life long NBA fan. Always will be. Game always has its cyclical (sp?) nature but then a new player enters the league every couple of years and reminds you of why you feel in love with the sport. Players like KG, Duncan, Lebron, etc do it for me.
http://www.whas11.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=49293&catId=49
---Lend a ***** a pencil--- Context?

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

reeche wrote:Lebron can make anyone a fan of the game.
Guess again - I'd rather watch curling than basketball.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

cdastros
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by cdastros »

While I was watching the Rockets vs Suns game yesterday. ESPN put up a stat that showed only 3 teams scored an average of over 100 points a game. This year 8 teams are scoring over 100 points a game. Mabye the new zone rules are forcing teams to run the ball more and play more traditional style of basketball.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

davet010 wrote:
It's funny that you would even read a post about the NBA then. Bored at work?

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

cdastros wrote:While I was watching the Rockets vs Suns game yesterday. ESPN put up a stat that showed only 3 teams scored an average of over 100 points a game. This year 8 teams are scoring over 100 points a game. Mabye the new zone rules are forcing teams to run the ball more and play more traditional style of basketball.
Man the Suns are fun to watch! I really look forward to watching them play. They run teams into the ground. I used to live in Chandler and my wife and I went to the "Madhouse on McDowell" many times. We loved it. I saw The Twin Towers from Houston and Magic and the boys plenty. So I have a soft spot for them. And I will jump on their bandwagon in a heartbeat. :lol: :lol:
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

cdastros wrote:Mabye the new zone rules are forcing teams to run the ball more and play more traditional style of basketball.
The zone rules have only hurt the game. The thing that is helping scoring this year is the handcheck rule. By not being able to even put a hand on a dribbling player, it really opens the game up a bit. I'm seeing a lot more ticky tack fouls called this year than any other year I can remember. Statistics might not back that up, but it just seems like it.

It also really helps that teams are starting to be assembled differently. The NBA is a copy-cat league. For some reason, people aren't trying to duplicate the Pistons (whom I picked to win the Championship last year). The running teams seem to be the fad. The reason is probably the influx of the young, athletic jumpers that come out of college early, or skip it entirely. That's the only theory I can come up with.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Lowering the rim to 9' really has helped FG percentages :D

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

JackDog wrote:And I will jump on their bandwagon in a heartbeat. :lol: :lol:
Welcome to my Wagon...I've been hangin' on for dear life since KJ arrived from Cleveland in 88. If not for freakin' Michael Jordan, I might have had a shot at a Championship.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
JackDog wrote:And I will jump on their bandwagon in a heartbeat. :lol: :lol:
Welcome to my Wagon...I've been hangin' on for dear life since KJ arrived from Cleveland in 88. If not for freakin' Michael Jordan, I might have had a shot at a Championship.
No doubt. 1993. KJ, Barkley,Majerle and good ole Danny Boy. Game 3 triple overtime win was a classic. I lost faith in the NBA around 98. I miss Hockey so much I just started watching again. Thanks NHL!

reeche
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by reeche »

davet010 wrote:
:roll: Yes I know. It's not soccer.
http://www.whas11.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=49293&catId=49

reeche
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by reeche »

dbdynsty25 wrote:The zone rules have only hurt the game. The thing that is helping scoring this year is the handcheck rule. By not being able to even put a hand on a dribbling player, it really opens the game up a bit. I'm seeing a lot more ticky tack fouls called this year than any other year I can remember. Statistics might not back that up, but it just seems like it.
Hmm... I'm normally don't post this much but since it's NBA talk I enjoy it. Yes you are correct. NBA fouls are up and a lot of it is that contact on the outside that use to hamper jump shooters.

Mark Cuban normally complains about this all the time but he has been more satisfied this year because this sort of officiating helps a team like the Mavericks or really just any offensive oriented team.

http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/1234000603025619/

The real question is will they continue to call the game this way in the playoffs which is why a lot of people think teams like Phoenix and Seattle will be at a disadvantage come playoff time if they don't where the refs tend to swallow their whistles more.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I have restored interest in the NBA this season as well. It started when the Pistons won the Championship last year. It was refreshing to see a team that was built on defense and teamwork rise to the top. It also helps that the Bulls started playing like an NBA team after their 0-9 start. 11-9 since and watching young players like Hinrich, Deng, Gordon, and Duhon develop while young veterans Chandler and Curry finally start showing some of their potential with a splash of Argentinian sensation Andres Nocioni are helping to restore my faith in the NBA. It's also nice to see a team like the Suns come out of the gates so fast. The NBA is still my least favorite sport of football, hockey, baseball, and basketball but I've watched more basketball already this year than I did the previous 5 combined.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

ScoopBrady wrote:I have restored interest in the NBA this season as well. It started when the Pistons won the Championship last year. It was refreshing to see a team that was built on defense and teamwork rise to the top. It also helps that the Bulls started playing like an NBA team after their 0-9 start. 11-9 since and watching young players like Hinrich, Deng, Gordon, and Duhon develop while young veterans Chandler and Curry finally start showing some of their potential with a splash of Argentinian sensation Andres Nocioni are helping to restore my faith in the NBA. It's also nice to see a team like the Suns come out of the gates so fast. The NBA is still my least favorite sport of football, hockey, baseball, and basketball but I've watched more basketball already this year than I did the previous 5 combined.
OK Scoop join hands with me as we chant.......The NBA.....It's fantastic! :wink:

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

ScoopBrady wrote:The NBA is still my least favorite sport of football, hockey, baseball, and basketball but I've watched more basketball already this year than I did the previous 5 combined.
I feel exactly the same way.

It's weird looking at the standings and seeing "Cleveland" at the top, in any sport. I still feel like this whole Lebron thing is too good to be true. Stuff like this doesn't happen around here. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Like when the Cavs were sold last week, a wave of panic swept through the city. Everybody was like, "OK, this is it. We knew this was too good to be true." The new owner had to reassure everyone twenty times he's not going to move the team.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

JackDog wrote:
ScoopBrady wrote:I have restored interest in the NBA this season as well. It started when the Pistons won the Championship last year. It was refreshing to see a team that was built on defense and teamwork rise to the top. It also helps that the Bulls started playing like an NBA team after their 0-9 start. 11-9 since and watching young players like Hinrich, Deng, Gordon, and Duhon develop while young veterans Chandler and Curry finally start showing some of their potential with a splash of Argentinian sensation Andres Nocioni are helping to restore my faith in the NBA. It's also nice to see a team like the Suns come out of the gates so fast. The NBA is still my least favorite sport of football, hockey, baseball, and basketball but I've watched more basketball already this year than I did the previous 5 combined.
OK Scoop join hands with me as we chant.......The NBA.....It's fantastic! :wink:
OK but this isn't going to be like last time we held hands is it? My wife is still not convinced that you were helping me get a piece of gum off my hand.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

DB, come on, if it weren't for MJ the following teams may have had a championship, just off the top of my head:

Suns
Pacers
Cavs
Knicks
Jazz
Trailblazers

I'm with you guys though, I'm really digging the NBA, outside of the heartless bastards wearing Timberwolves jerseys this year. The handcheck rules have helped open up the game and prevented Riley's Knicks-type defending.

That, combined with the complete lack of Shaq-sized centers available, has helped to lead teams to being quicker and more athletic. Hard to build around a 7-foot post presence if there are only a handful left in the league. There's a reason the Diesel refers to himself as Shaq, LCL (last center left).
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

lexbur wrote:
ScoopBrady wrote:The NBA is still my least favorite sport of football, hockey, baseball, and basketball but I've watched more basketball already this year than I did the previous 5 combined.
I feel exactly the same way.

It's weird looking at the standings and seeing "Cleveland" at the top, in any sport. I still feel like this whole Lebron thing is too good to be true. Stuff like this doesn't happen around here. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Like when the Cavs were sold last week, a wave of panic swept through the city. Everybody was like, "OK, this is it. We knew this was too good to be true." The new owner had to reassure everyone twenty times he's not going to move the team.
Hey man were doing one of those McFamily nights on March 2nd vs. Seattle. We have an extra ticket free of charge if your interested. We can knock a few back watch the Cavs and knock a few back then after the game hit the Flats and knock a few back. :lol: :lol:

Let me know.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

ScoopBrady wrote:
JackDog wrote:
OK but this isn't going to be like last time we held hands is it? My wife is still not convinced that you were helping me get a piece of gum off my hand.
I hope not. You complete me. :lol:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

My 2005 prediction: No one at DSP will make me an NBA convert. You boys converted me on DVR's/TiVo, but it will be an absolute zero-degree Kelvin day in hell before I start following the NBA.

:)

Viva NFL! Viva college football! Viva college hoop! Viva soccer! Viva motor racing! Viva hockey (AHL this year)! Viva World Cup alpine skiing! Viva cycling!

Glad you cats are enjoying the NBA, though.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:My 2005 prediction: No one at DSP will make me an NBA convert. You boys converted me on DVR's/TiVo, but it will be an absolute zero-degree Kelvin day in hell before I start following the NBA.
Watch a Phoenix Suns game...then come talk to me. Seriously...no other team is more fun to watch than the Suns this year. TMac said it best last night:

"I've never seen a team that keeps you back on your heels when you make a shot," McGrady said. "We're not used to that. Those guys get the ball out and they're gone. It was crazy tonight. You're just glad that every NBA team isn't like that."

Couldn't have said it better myself Tracy. It really is crazy. The Suns take the ball out of the net and three seconds later they are getting a layup or an open 3 pointer on the other end. It really is ridiculous...but it's entertaining as hell. I challenge you to watch one of their games PK...and report back. Seriously man.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
pk500 wrote:My 2005 prediction: No one at DSP will make me an NBA convert. You boys converted me on DVR's/TiVo, but it will be an absolute zero-degree Kelvin day in hell before I start following the NBA.
Watch a Phoenix Suns game...then come talk to me. Seriously...no other team is more fun to watch than the Suns this year. TMac said it best last night:

"I've never seen a team that keeps you back on your heels when you make a shot," McGrady said. "We're not used to that. Those guys get the ball out and they're gone. It was crazy tonight. You're just glad that every NBA team isn't like that."

Couldn't have said it better myself Tracy. It really is crazy. The Suns take the ball out of the net and three seconds later they are getting a layup or an open 3 pointer on the other end. It really is ridiculous...but it's entertaining as hell. I challenge you to watch one of their games PK...and report back. Seriously man.
He's on point PK. It's a different brand of NBA ball. They are like waterbugs on the court. It is a blast to watch.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

To be fair, I'll try to watch a Suns' game sometime. But to be honest, run-and-gun is my least-favorite kind of hoop.

But I'll try sometime.

Out,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

So PK, did you get all hyped up for NBA on NBC in the mid and late-90's, which seemed to feature Knicks vs. Heat every weekend? First team to 70 wins, baby!

:D

I'll take the Suns over that every day of the week.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven