NFL2K3 CPU clock management questoin

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

I´m playing preseason as Raiders, against the NY Jets. I´m tied 24-24 in OT, with about 35 seconds left in the overtime. I´ve got the ball, just outside of FG range. NY calls a timeout.
<BR>
<BR>I drive about 15 yards on my next play. NY calls a timeout. 25 seconds left. I run a running play, then with 15 seconds left... NY calls a timeout. I run one more play, and then with 8 seconds left I call a timeout, kick the FG and win.
<BR>
<BR>Why did NY call those timeouts? It was helping ME. Would it not have been better to just let time go? What is the rule in NFL overtime if time runs out?
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Xbox gamertag: JamesE009

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

James:
<BR>
<BR>If time runs out in OT during a regular-season game, the game ends in a tie. If it´s playoffs, the game continues with another overtime.
<BR>
<BR>My only thought is that the CPU called timeout thinking you were in field-goal range and would kick on first or second down. That way if you missed the kick, the CPU team would have more time to mount a drive for a score. Chances are, you´re going to make the kick anyways, but the CPU coach -- and opposing coaches in real life -- try to create the best scenario for their team in case the other team fails. In this case, creating as much time for your team as possible in case of a missed FG is vital.
<BR>
<BR>Sounds crazy, but NFL coaches would do something like that. Plus, most NFL teams attempt a field goal in overtime as soon as they arrive in their kicker´s comfortable range. They don´t risk a turnover just to get 5 yards closer to the end zone. By kicking on first, second or third down, the offensive team also has the luxury of extra downs in case of a botched snap, penalty involving loss of down, etc.
<BR>
<BR>The CPU timeouts seem weird, but they do make some strange sense.
<BR>
<BR>Take care,
<BR>PK<BR><BR><font size=1>[ This message was edited by: pk500 on 27-08-2002 06:13 ]</font>
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425