Why I love sports, an Ichiro moment

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Why I love sports, an Ichiro moment

Post by Danimal »

I was hesitant to post this because I am sure someone will laugh, but hey I'm still thinking about it 3 days later.

The other night I was flipping channels and my wife was sitting on the couch reading and I just happened to flip onto ESPN when they cut in the Ichiro's first at bat.

My wife (a casual sports fan at best) asked me what was going on, I explained it to her, so we procede to watch the at bat, he gets that slap hit single over third base and my wife lets out a cheer. We watch a few more minutes, they cut away and I go to turn the channel.

My wife say "Are you crazy, I want to see what happens." Never mind 5 minutes my wife didn't know who the heck Ichiro was. I tell her that they aren't even showing the game, they will cut in when he comes up next but that could be 20 minutes. She didn't care and made me stay on ESPN so we didn't miss it.

Ok so they finally come back, my wife is cheering, of course she still doesn't comprehend his name, so she is yelling Ichiot or some such, but hey she is watching and cheering for a baseball game so who am I to stop her.

Well Ichiro, knocks the hit to center field, the place goes crazy. My wife is shouting and we watch all the congrats, his team coming out. Him shaking hands with Sisners(sp?) daughter. I look over and my wife is crying. She is so happy and into it she is crying.

Anyway it was a cool moment, not as great as the old cooks speech about Pelee in Vision Quest, but still pretty cool considering my wifes level of interest in sports. In fact she was so excited she wants to watch the playoffs, I don't have the heart to tell her Ichiro's team didn't make it.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

My wife is the same way. Only difference is that she knows baseball, and what's going on. Of course her knowing about baseball is only because I am "hogging" the main TV with my wanting to watch as much sports as humanly possible.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

That's nothing. My wife cries everytime I put sports on.

Seriously, that's cool man. I wish my wife would show some sort of interest in sports. Occasionally a story such as that would compel her to watch and find out what happens but it rarely happens.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Here's the deal in our house: On Sundays, my wife watches the Bills live while I watch the kids and record the game on the DVR. We're both Bills' zealots, but she takes it very personally.

Yesterday, I bopped into the house for a second, right after Bledsoe was sacked and Seymour trotted in for the game-sealing touchdown. I had the game on the radio outside, and I thought I heard correctly what happened.

I said to my wife, "Did Seymour's touchdown really count?"

"I don't want to talk about it," she replied.

"What happened? Did it count?" I said.

"Yes. And I shut it off. I can't bear to watch it anymore. It pisses me off too much."

And what's even funnier is that she was in a bad mood for about the next hour. I jokingly warned my kids and the neighborhood kids to keep their distance from Mommy/Mrs. Kelly for about the next 30 minutes while she cooled off.

My wife isn't into any spectator sports except the NFL and Syracuse basketball. But man, she gets amped as hell over her Bills. Even more than me, if that's possible.

In fact, when our kids pester her during the Bills' games, she says: "Ask your dad. You guys know these three hours every Sunday are my time, the only time all week that's all mine."

:)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

The play of Chris Rix at FSU has had both my wife and i in tears several times. But not in a good way.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

My wife can tolerate baseball (Cards in the playoffs woman!), but has zero interest in football or college basketball. How can you NOT have interest in your school's teams....especially when it's KU Basketball??? I remember so many girls at school who got into the basketball games as much as I did. Then again, I'll never get into the sport of shopping.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I cry after every Jay Fiedler/Aj Feeley interception or fumble. So basically I get a nice 3 hour cry each week.