All hail the mighty Grog -- great ESPN NHL 2K5 settings

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

All hail the mighty Grog -- great ESPN NHL 2K5 settings

Post by pk500 »

Grog:

Can't thank you enough for your superb slider settings for Pro difficulty in ESPN NHL 2K5.

Man, your settings are awesome. I've had a great variety of games: Low-scoring triple-OT thrillers, 5-1 wins by me, 3-2 losses by me, lots of shots, defensive struggles, etc., etc.

The thing I love about your settings is how player ratings really seem to make a difference. With the game speed set near or at the default, everyone has moves, everyone has speed. But with your settings, Peter Forsberg is going to be able to dipsy-doodle and hold the puck in the offensive zone a lot better than Matthew Barnaby, for example. Milan Hejduk is going to shoot more accurately than Peter Worrell, for example.

And the other beauty of your settings, and part of the beauty of this year's ESPN NHL, is that I never feel cheated when I'm shut out or only score one goal. I simply don't get enough good chances due to excellent, positional defense by the CPU and due to me blowing a few chances. The goalies are only making three or four really great saves per game -- no more Cathy Rigby-style gymnastic saves every four shots like in NHL 2K4. Your sliders, with an emphasis on positional play, skating your lanes and working the puck for shots, only enhance that sensation.

Great job, man. I can't tell you how pleased I am to have a set of sliders that work in September! I didn't find a set of sliders I liked with 2K4 until I combined Original Six's with the Increased Scoring patch this summer!

Thanks,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Mind sharing those with the rest of us patna?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

( All CPU & Human settings are the same except offense sliders)

GENERAL
Pro Setting
Game Speed: 0 clicks
5 Minutes
Penalties: ON
Fighting: 0 click ( turn on only at beginning of the third period)
Net Off Moorings: On
Speed burst after fight win: OFF
Puck Friction: Max
Ice Friction: 0 clicks
Freeze Puck Time: Max clicks
Goalie Freeze Puck Time: 1 click

ADVANCED
Penalty Length: 2:00/0:45
Penalties: All 11 clicks – Set hooking to 10 clicks
Penalty Shots – Maxed

GAMEPLAY
Goalie: 8 clicks
Offense: 8 clicks – Put CPU at 12 clicks
Defense: 8 clicks
Speed Burst Effect: 0 clicks
Speed Burst Time: 0 clicks
Speed Burst Recovery: Max
Fatigue Effect: Max clicks
Fatigue Recovery: 8 clicks
Fatigue Time: 12 clicks
Hitting Power: 3 clicks
Shot Accuracy: 8 clicks
Pass Accuracy: 4 clicks
Pass Speed: 8 clicks
Pass Interceptions: Max
Rebound Distance: 8 clicks
Shot Blocking: 10 clicks
Puck Retention: 8 clicks
Puck Control: 8 clicks
Goalie Anticipation: 8 clicks
Goalie Cover depth: 8 clicks
Goalie Saves: 8 clicks
Goalie Wrap Around: 8 clicks

CONTROLS
Controller: Advanced
Goalie Control: Your Choice
Pass Aim Assist: 0-4 clicks
Shot Aim: Manual
Auto Puck in air grab: On
Puck Protect: Manual
One-timer Passing: ON

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

For those that like their hockey a little faster...don't worry...you can add a little speed burst or game speed a notch and these sliders are still excellent.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Much appreciated.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Quick follow-up for those who use these settings: Custom penalty lengths must be set to on for Grog's ratio to work, right? Just double-checking.

The only thing I don't like about a real-time final minute of the game, which Grog uses with these settings, is how it f*cks up power plays. Two-minute power plays that take place in the last minute of a period are disproportionately long compared to other PP's because of the real time used in the final minute. So I don't use the real-time final minute.

I've also increased fighting to 1 for all periods, not just the third.

Otherwise, these settings are ace.

Take care,
PK

GROGtheNailer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GROGtheNailer »

Hey, thanks PK :) I either got lucky or you all will be sick and tired of these soon enough but glad you like them so far. Last minute realtime is something everyone differs on I suppose, I like it because it makes that last minute really hairy on close games sometimes and i've always felt in the past I never get enough time in that last minute. Lets hook up for a game one night man.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Damn, Grog, I'm embarrassed to say this, but I'm not even sure I know your Gamertag! Throw it my way, either here or in PM.

Thanks,
PK

GROGtheNailer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GROGtheNailer »

You know what's weird? My gamertag is pk499...............................

Or would you believe grog-the-nailer?

i'm assuming yours is PK500

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Yep, pk500.

Out,
PK

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Grog -

I have no idea why that was utterly hilarious to me.

Look forward to giving your settings a go this weekend.

Dave
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Grog,
I'd love to hook up for some ESPN NHL sometime. Gamertag is todcomplex, if you're interested send me a friends list invite.

I'll have to try these sliders out. And PK, anytime you want to hook up again is fine with me. Those were some very exciting games we played.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Scoop:

Indeed, those games were killer. Let's play again soon! NASCAR 2005 and non-gaming things are consuming most of my free time these days, but I'd like to play again.

Take care,
PK

GROGtheNailer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GROGtheNailer »

Ok, going to have to lock in your tags. Might have to stay up late on Sat night ( as usual). Let's play some hocky boys.

mobiggins
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mobiggins »

I dunno. I'm not having much luck with these sliders. Started a franchise with them, and here are my scores:

Tied 2-2
Won 1-0
Lost 1-0
Won 3-0
Won 2-0
Lost 2-0
Lost 1-0

Those are awful scores. I'm either being shut out or shutting out my opponent. No fun.

One thing that bugs me about this game that has nothing to do with settings (at least I don't think it does) is the sheer incompetence of your teammate AI. They just stand around doing absolutely nothing.

Another thing is the huge disparity between CPU puck intercepts and your puck intercepts. Is there a button I have to push when the puck goes right by my guy and he does nothing to take control of it??

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I am having very low scores with these sliders as well unless I use AUTO aim. I tried using manual aim last night to pracitce and all my scores were low 1-0 type games. I switched to auto aim using the same teams and I am getting quite a bit of variety and some absolutely awesome goals by both me and the CPU. The only changes I made was speed burst up 1 click. It seems to me that auto aim helps the CPU AI as well...lol.

It doesn't feel like cheating with auto-aim because I swear the puck is going where I intend it to anyway.

blueduke
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by blueduke »

I am having very low scores with these sliders as well unless I use AUTO aim.
Welcome to the "I'm Not As Quick As I Used To Be" Club, Leebo. :lol: At our age Red Bull wouldn't help too much

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

blueduke wrote:
I am having very low scores with these sliders as well unless I use AUTO aim.
Welcome to the "I'm Not As Quick As I Used To Be" Club, Leebo. :lol: At our age Red Bull wouldn't help too much
LOL! JackB1 asked me the other night when we played if I use Auto or Manual aim.

I've always used Auto aim. It's one less thing to worry about, but the main reason I use it is because the 39-year-old reflexes and coordination aren't up to snuff! :)

Grog's settings give me an awesome variety of games when using Auto aim. I've had 5-4 shootouts, 1-0 OT thrillers and everything in between.

Take care,
PK

mobiggins
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mobiggins »

Will switch to auto aim, then.
I jacked up the speed burst a couple of clicks. I think NHL-ers are able to turn up the juice and hold it there for longer than the 0 clicks burst.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Anyone know which goalie slider would help lateral awareness? I'm able to slip behind the defense a bit to easily and backhand in goals when I'm going laterally in front of the goalie (as described by Rallymonkey in another thread). I'm 15-1-5 with the hard-luck Rangers (Jagr, Bure, and Lindros all down for 4-6 weeks) even with CPU offense cranked up all the way.

GROGtheNailer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GROGtheNailer »

There is a wrap-around slider I do believe.

Also, if you are having trouble scoring, move goalie slider down two notches.

I'm 39 too PK and I go manual you sissy :) One thing that works great and looks great too is the shot off the deke, i've scored some beauties w/ a shot right after a right thumbstick deke. I am having a lot of fun with this game, you see different things game to game which I really like. I can go from a 2-1 game w/ around 21 shots each to a 5-3 game w/ 36 shots each, a nice variety.

I also rely on the wrist-shot after seeing which way the goalie will react, just out waiting the goalie can bring you some sweet-ass goals.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Yup, Grog's sliders rock. I found it was helpful to make a few modifications for my style of play, but to each his own.

I turned down spearing a couple clicks, turned down goalie ability about three notches for me and about two for the CPU, speed burst set to one, and fighting and boost on on but at the lowest setting. Most importantly, turn on automatic aiming.

Amazing how realistic the game plays in my eyes with these settings.

GROGtheNailer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GROGtheNailer »

Keep your offense/defense sliders the same and crank up the cpu's to max, take away a little at a time if need be.