OT: The Best Damn Concert I've Ever Seen

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: The Best Damn Concert I've Ever Seen

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The Beastie Boys at the Universal Amphitheatre here in Hollywood. HOLY SH*T...I can't believe they played for 2 hours straight. Seriously guys, if they come to your town, check check it out.

Talib Kweli opened and he happened to bring along a few friends: Mos Def, Dj Quik and Common Sense. It was one of the best opening acts I've ever seen. I love all four of those dudes (for y'all who don't know who Mos Def is, check out the Chappelle show...huge freestyle in the truck while Dave was driving).

Back to the Beasties...those guys rocked the house. The place was almost at full capacity and it was mahem. Mosh pits, crazy ass people and an all around good time. The sound was amazing and those old dudes jumped around like they were in their 20's again. I cannot believe how sweet that show was.

Just a little FYI...see em...it's well worth it.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Mos Def is the best MC out right now (IMO). He has a new CD out the end of the month. Beasties new CD is very solid. Good to see the old school guys layin' it down.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

I have seen the Beastie Boys a few times and they were actully one of the best things I have seen and one of the WORST concerts I have seen.

When I saw them on their last tour here in Chicago (the one where the had a 'circle in the round' setup), the sound and performance were so god awful that I almost left. But when I saw them at Lallopalooza (sp?) they tore the roof off!

Glad to see they are 'back'.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

sorry, but I prefer "musicians" that actually can play their instruments.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

JackB1 wrote:sorry, but I prefer "musicians" that actually can play their instruments.
Well, the Beasties actually do play their own instruments. If you want to hear one of the best bands out right now get any CD by "The Roots". They are an acoustic Rap act from Philly. They have 4 or 5 very solid CD's.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

JackB1 wrote:sorry, but I prefer "musicians" that actually can play their instruments.
Yeah Jack. The Beasties play instruments on a lot of tracks both studio and live.

reeche
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by reeche »

:roll:
http://www.whas11.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=49293&catId=49
---Lend a ***** a pencil--- Context?

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

drum machines and scratching records don't really qualify as "instruments". either way, I really don't like the direction that
music has headed the past 10 years or so. I think the talent
and level of songwriting has went sharply down.

Spooky wrote:
Yeah Jack. The Beasties play instruments on a lot of tracks both studio and live.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

JackB1 wrote:drum machines and scratching records don't really qualify as "instruments". either way, I really don't like the direction that

Spooky wrote:
Um, you might want to stop interjecting about something you obviously have no idea about. You don't have to like the music, but your statements are just plain incorrect.

Parker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Parker »

"either way, I really don't like the direction that
and level of songwriting has went sharply down."

I agree with that, but the Beasties are a throwback to when rap didn't suck quite as much. There are tons of modern crap rap groups to go after these days, why you would go after them is beyond me.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I despise rap and think it's pretty useless as a musical form even though it's probably the best form of protest in music today. Rap is today what folk singers were in the 60s or punk rockers in the late 70s-- it seems to be about the only musical genre whose artists actually take a look around them and write about reality, warts and all.

That said, I give full credit and respect to the Beasties. First, they've been around for 20 years. I still remember "Girls" cranking through my college apartment 20 years ago, singing the chorus while pounding beers. And I applaud any band that still creates relevant, important music in its 20th year on a major label.

Plus musically the Beasties fuse enough rock and other kinds of beats and styles into their music to show diversity and keep me interested without sounding like a direct sample. And lyrically, I've always liked the Beasties' wry wit.

Long live the Beasties. Probably the only rap act I can say that about, although I have liked some of Kanye West's lyrics even though his music doesn't thrill me.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

pk500 wrote:I despise rap and think it's pretty useless as a musical form even though it's probably the best form of protest in music today. Rap is today what folk singers were in the 60s or punk rockers in the late 70s-- it seems to be about the only musical genre whose artists actually take a look around them and write about reality, warts and all.

Take care,
PK
Yeah, except it seems to me that the main objective and pursuit of rap musicians is to make as much money as possible and show it off as much as possible. That is, they don't appear to have much real social awareness or consciousness of the real issues facing society, and especailly the balck community, in America, today, and certainly don't seem to be addressing them in any real way.

Time was when maybe that wasn't exclusively true. And I will admit that I don't know jack (no pun intended) about rap these days. But this is just how it appears to me.

EDIT: Also, this is not meant to single out rap musicians from any other form of popular artist, not at all.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

The three best damn concerts I have ever attended are all U2 concerts (Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby). I can't wait for the new album in November and I will NOT miss this tour!

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Zeppo wrote:
pk500 wrote:I despise rap and think it's pretty useless as a musical form even though it's probably the best form of protest in music today. Rap is today what folk singers were in the 60s or punk rockers in the late 70s-- it seems to be about the only musical genre whose artists actually take a look around them and write about reality, warts and all.

Take care,
PK
Yeah, except it seems to me that the main objective and pursuit of rap musicians is to make as much money as possible and show it off as much as possible. That is, they don't appear to have much real social awareness or consciousness of the real issues facing society, and especailly the balck community, in America, today, and certainly don't seem to be addressing them in any real way.

Time was when maybe that wasn't exclusively true. And I will admit that I don't know jack (no pun intended) about rap these days. But this is just how it appears to me.

EDIT: Also, this is not meant to single out rap musicians from any other form of popular artist, not at all.
Agreed. That is why you have to give props to the B-Boys. They are NOTHING like that. They seem to be all about the love of the art and music aspects.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I rarely buy ANY new rap music these days. Too many horribly, horribly untalented clowns out there. Kanye West seems to be someone I may like. I seem to find myself buying all Old School rap to replace all my ancient cassettes :) Last disc I bought was Ultramagnetic MC's: Critical Beatdown. One of the top 10 HipHop albums of all time. My brother got me Eric B and Rakim's greatest hits this past Christmas...awesome. When I was in High School I went to about 4-5 rap concerts at the Spectrum in Philly. Public Enemy, Kid n Play, Big Daddy Kane, Run DMC, Digital Underground (technically I saw 2 Pac in concert because he was a dancer for D.U>) and a host of others. Man, those were the days. Outside of almost getting killed at the concerts they were highly entertaining.

Believe it or not, When I was in AA (El Paso, TX) We had concerts after the games all the time. I saw KC and the Sunshine Band (LOL), Kool and the Gang, CCR, War, etc. Pretty good deal.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Jack,

As everyone has already said, you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to the Beasties.

They had a float (like from a parade) with guitars, drums, pianos, chellos, bass, etc. on it. They did about 15-20 songs...took about a 3 min. break while Mix Master Mike went crazy on the turntables and they brought out the float with all the beasties playing all the instruments for another 5 songs...it was freakin' amazing. They ended the concert w/ Sabatoge (and coincidentally the Beasties saying that it was dedicated to George Bush...Democrats I guess) and the place went nuts. That's when I hell broke loose...it was AWESOME.

Musically, the Roots and the Beasties are similar. Both take pride in their music AND their raps. It's not about showing off for them...it's all about the music. Hell, the Beasties have full albums that are just instrumentals with few raps mixed in...they are talented as hell. Especially when they can hang around for 20 years and still put on a DAMN good show.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Zeppo wrote:Yeah, except it seems to me that the main objective and pursuit of rap musicians is to make as much money as possible and show it off as much as possible. That is, they don't appear to have much real social awareness or consciousness of the real issues facing society, and especailly the balck community, in America, today, and certainly don't seem to be addressing them in any real way.
You REALLY need to listen to the Beasties new album. Hell the whole thing was dedicated to New York because of 9/11. There are a lot of political statements (all Anti-Bush, but that's neither here nor there in your arguement against them) and comments about society today. Check it out, seriously, you will be really surprised.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

JackB1 wrote:drum machines and scratching records don't really qualify as "instruments". either way, I really don't like the direction that

Spooky wrote:
Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack. The Beasties started out as a punk band. Listen to their album Some Old Bullsh!t and you'd hear a lot of their old punk tracks. Listen to Check Your Head and most of Ill Communication and you'll hear them playing instruments. Like everyone else said, stop chiming in on something you don't know about. Your opinion on Rap music has substance but your argument about the Beastie Boys does not.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

reeche
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by reeche »

Zeppo wrote:Yeah, except it seems to me that the main objective and pursuit of rap musicians is to make as much money as possible and show it off as much as possible. That is, they don't appear to have much real social awareness or consciousness of the real issues facing society, and especailly the balck community, in America, today, and certainly don't seem to be addressing them in any real way.
:x 8O :roll:
http://www.whas11.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=49293&catId=49
---Lend a ***** a pencil--- Context?

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Zeppo wrote: Yeah, except it seems to me that the main objective and pursuit of rap musicians is to make as much money as possible and show it off as much as possible. That is, they don't appear to have much real social awareness or consciousness of the real issues facing society, and especailly the balck community, in America, today, and certainly don't seem to be addressing them in any real way.

I see what you're saying, Zep, but honestly, you could have said that about a lot of white rock acts. I grew up a metal fan in the 80s, and a lot of that music glorified getting wasted and getting laid. I mean, you're not going to find a lot of social redemption in Whitesnake's "Slide It In." Music today -- and rap music in particular -- is certainly more explicit, but the message isn't really that different. I think the problem is that black artists have this extra burden of reprensenting their race, so when they act like pampered, illiterate jackasses, they're somehow undermining their people. Yet no one ever made that same accusation against Warrant.

As for people who say music today sucks compared to 10 years ago, you're just looking in the wrong places. There's a lot of amazing artists producing great music, it's just that not much of it makes it onto MTV or on the radio. But personally, thanks to the Internet, I'm finding it easier to find artists I really love than ever.

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

reeche wrote:
:x 8O :roll:
LOL... I know. Can this forum get anymore ignorant? Nothing brings out the ignorance more than talking about rap music on this board full of old fart WASPS. If Jack wasn't so stupid, maybe he would have realized that the Beasties are nearly the same age as his old ass.
"Whatever, I don't know why you even play yourself to that degree,
you laugh at me?" - Del

"Said the whisper to the secret..." - King's X

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

>>>As for people who say music today sucks compared to 10 years ago, you're just looking in the wrong places. There's a lot of amazing artists producing great music, it's just that not much of it makes it onto MTV or on the radio. But personally, thanks to the Internet, I'm finding it easier to find artists I really love than ever.<<<

Very well said, Brando! My musical tastes are more broad than ever, thanks to the Internet and P2P applications.

There is incredible music out there, but it's not on the pop charts, rock radio or MTV. That's no different than in the past, but it's a lot easier for people disenchanted with mainstream music to discover and get interesting tunes these days.

Ten years ago, all I listened to was grunge and punk. That's it. Good stuff, but what a narrow musical range I had compared to now.

Now, I listen to a steady diet of classic jazz, techno, trance, alternative, classic rock, hard rock, grunge, punk, pop, Sinatra and ambient.

My musical tastes are much more broad now than 10 years ago even though I'm a 39-year-old old fart Irish Catholic, to turn a phrase on Kaz's unfair, immature generalization.

Take care,
PK
Last edited by pk500 on Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Heh, check out my avatar from the last few months! :)

db, I saw the Beasties on their first tour and many times since, and they never disappoint. I think "An Open Letter to NYC" is probably the best post 9/11 NYC tribute song I've heard from any band/genre of music.
They are coming here Oct. 15 and now I am even more stoked after hearing your impressions.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Have a good time DC...you won't be disappointed. It really was one of the best shows I've EVER seen. I really like how they take some of their old beats and infuse some of the newer ones while rapping the same lyrics. Nothing like breakin out Brass Monkey and flippin' it to the "It Takes 2" Rob Bass beat after the first verse...people went nuts...aww man, it was sweet.

Bad example of a 'newer' beat since that was out at the same time, but you get the idea. Mix Master Mike was in full effect...I've never seen a DJ switch up records so often.

I really am thinkin' about checking out another show if there are anymore in this area...it was THAT good.

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

Kazuya wrote:
LOL... I know. Can this forum get anymore ignorant? Nothing brings out the ignorance more than talking about rap music on this board full of old fart WASPS. If Jack wasn't so stupid, maybe he would have realized that the Beasties are nearly the same age as his old ass.
Old fart WASPS?

f*** YOU.