A Little Baseball for ya...

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I love watching Damon play. That guy goes balls to the wall all the time. Plus, the hair is awesome...

I find it funny that everyone thinks Andruw is lazy. Dude just makes things look so easy. He got a bad rap for the day Bobby Cox pulled him from a game cuz he didn't hustle...for some reason people have that stuck in their head I guess. No one has worked harder this year on their hitting. Andruw was around .250 at the All-Star break and he's brought his average up 20 points after working extra with Bobby Cox at hitting the ball the other way. I've actually see a little improvement. Amazing, I know.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

I'm a Cards fan so I'm biased, but I'll stick up for Hollywood Jimmy here too. I've never seen a more accurate throwing arm from the outfield, and he's a human highlight film with some of the catches that he's made this year (and years past.)

Frankly, I've always thought A. Jones was overrated. Earlier this summer, they were even talking here in Atlanta that they should trade him. Probably would've been a good move..getting rid of a big underachiever and getting something better in return. If Jones ever puts up the same HR and RBI and BA numbers as Hollywood, I'll give him some due.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I just wish Torii Hunter would stop trying to pull every slider that tails out of the zone...two years ago he would go with it and slash it down the line the other way. He's such a natural CF with great vertical leap timing.

But why Gardy bats him in the 3 spot behind the wrecklessly swinging Jacque Jones I will never know.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:BTW, I still take Edmonds :)
At least we know why you're not the GM of a Major League ballclub.
Keep going with your heart...not your mind. MVP candidate or unfulfilled potential...let me see :mrgreen:

Bare with me DB...I'm a Phillies fan so I just hate anything about the Braves
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Diablo25 wrote:
BTW, I still take Edmonds

DBDynsty wrote:
At least we know why you're not the GM of a Major League ballclub.
Although I know Doby/Diablo isn't no GM, he did play 7 or 8 years in the minors as a catcher.

He played for the El Paso Diablos...hence Diablo25(his number on the team).

He even coaches high school baseball while he teaches at this time.

I also know he is a huge Phillies fan and that probably influences his opinion as the Braves have wiped the Phillies up many times in the last decade.

But I hold a huge regard for his opinon being that he has played many many many ballgames throughout his life.

That being said, it is a wash between who I would take.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

sf_z wrote:For an all-around CF, I'd take Beltran over either of the others
We ned a CF here in Philly. Abreu in RF and Beltran in CF...man
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

What, so you can miss the playoffs again with a team with WAY more talent than the Braves?

You need a new manager more than you need a position player.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:What, so you can miss the playoffs again with a team with WAY more talent than the Braves?

You need a new manager more than you need a position player.
I have no problem with Bowa. Its Ed Wade, the GM, that needs to go. He's a bookwarm that worked his way up from being an intern. He bugs me. Many in Philly are using Bowa as an excuse for the team's performance. The Philles could get rid of one player this off season and they instantly get better...Mike Lieberthal. He has no clue how to call a game and he's a poor receiver. The Bravos have the catcher I liked...Estrada. But they traded him for Millwood which seemed great at the time. Can't really complain about that trade though. I'd like to see Bowa remain and Gross(hitting coach), Kerrigan(pitching coach) and Wade dismissed. Gross just makes me sick. Kerrigan is too anal. The pitchers hate him.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

How come anything anyone ever hears out of Philly is how bad Bowa is? How all the players don't like him etc.

I wasnt so sure about that Millwood/Estrada trade when it went down but I guess that worked out better for the Braves eh? Leiberthal went to my high school so you're not allowed to talk sh*t about him. I agree though, he doesn't call a great game (they are great to me though since it's the Braves that are hitting).

There just has to be something to the Bowa thing. I don't see how anyone can say it's the GM's fault when you've got a STUD squad and you can't win a damn thing. The Braves went into this year with Chipper and Andruw as proven major leaguers on the club (along with Russ Ortiz and Smoltz)...that's it. Bobby Cox and Leo Mazzone have done a masterful job mixing and moving and teaching and he's got them playing ridiculous baseball after three months of struggling to stay afloat. It's managers who can make players better and it seems like the Phillies are going the other way. Taking really good players (Burrell for the best example) and destroying their confidence by yelling and screaming and being a complete prick. In return, he gets another subpar year from Pat and the team is in the tank (although they are only what, 4 or 5 out of the Wild Card).

I just don't see how you can excuse Bowa and place the blame on a GM who gets you studs each year (Wagner this year, Thome last).