A Little Baseball for ya...

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

A Little Baseball for ya...

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I forget who I was arguing with on here about Andruw Jones' arm strength and accuracy, but if you take a look at Sporcenter this evening you will see one of the best throws I have ever seen.

Just inside the warning track (about 25 ft.)...gunning Tony Batista down at HOME on the fly. Simply amazing. Anyone who talks down on that arm is just silly. (Ichiro is probably the only person that has a little more strength in his arm, the dude is a robot, but man this throw was beautiful).

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I'd argue that Edmonds is better defensively than Jones, most notably his assists. But of course, you'll hear none of that.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

sportdan30 wrote:I'd argue that Edmonds is better defensively than Jones, most notably his assists. But of course, you'll hear none of that.
I would agree with this statement. Plus he's a better all around player.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Better hitter...hell yes. Defensively...F*ck no. He gets more assists cuz guys run on him more. People don't run on Andruw. Check out Sportscenter tonight for the reason why.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Better hitter...hell yes. Defensively...F*ck no. He gets more assists cuz guys run on him more. People don't run on Andruw. Check out Sportscenter tonight for the reason why.
Thats your opinion and I politely disagree. Give me a choice and I'd take Edmonds. Andruw is a stud defensively. The gap between him and Edmonds is very small but I go with Edmonds. Hey, my team (Phillies)doesn't even have a CF so I'd take either of them.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

sportdan30 wrote:I'd argue that Edmonds is better defensively than Jones, most notably his assists. But of course, you'll hear none of that.
Likely because that's insanity.
"Whatever, I don't know why you even play yourself to that degree,
you laugh at me?" - Del

"Said the whisper to the secret..." - King's X

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Kazuya wrote:
Likely because that's insanity.
LOL. I like Edmonds too, but come on! Jones is in a class by himself.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Being in LA, I got to see a lot of Edmonds in Anaheim. I just remember getting pissed all the time because he'd slow down a couple steps so that he could lay out and make the highlight play. That s*** bothers me.

He's a good outfielder, but I think he makes himself look a little better than he is. Andruw makes plays jogging that Edmonds would find a way to lay out for. That's my issue with him, and it was an issue before Andruw was even in the Braves system.

I'll take Torii Hunter over Edmonds as well...but Edmonds is probably third or fourth in my list (Cameron is the other one).

fightingcamel
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by fightingcamel »

Defensively, I would rather have Andruw. I just wish he would learn to hit breaking balls consistently :wink:

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

all that "hot lesbian action"...

Parker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Parker »

"I forget who I was arguing with on here about Andruw Jones' arm strength and accuracy, but if you take a look at Sporcenter this evening you will see one of the best throws I have ever seen."

No one was arguing about Jones's physical abilities, they were arguing that he would rather be in a strip club than on the baseball field. Apparantly Furcal would rather be getting loaded in a bar as well.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Parker wrote:No one was arguing about Jones's physical abilities, they were arguing that he would rather be in a strip club than on the baseball field. Apparantly Furcal would rather be getting loaded in a bar as well.
And what's wrong with that? I'd much rather be getting some lesbian action at a strip club than sitting here chattin' with you jackoffs at work. Why wouldn't an athlete want to do the same?

fightingcamel
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by fightingcamel »

^^^ "America's Team" :lol:

snate
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snate »

Parker wrote:"I forget who I was arguing with on here about Andruw Jones' arm strength and accuracy, but if you take a look at Sporcenter this evening you will see one of the best throws I have ever seen."

No one was arguing about Jones's physical abilities, they were arguing that he would rather be in a strip club than on the baseball field.
I've hung out with Andruw and I can attest that he would rather be partying than on a baseball field. Everything he does on the baseball field is a result of his natural ability, not becuase he works hard to improve. He plays baseball beacuase he can get paid alot of money for something that he can do easily. Thats it.

A guy who often gets lumped in the same knucklehead category is Manny. But that is undeserved. He works on his hitting as hard as anyone that has ever played the game.

Parker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Parker »

Wow, you have it exactly right.

I would just add Manny is a far more disciplined hitter than Jones, and you don't get that disciplined at the plate by not practicing for hours a day. Fielding and running are much more raw physical gifts. Perhaps if Jones worked harder at baseball, his batting average would improve.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I've got no arguement against that. I never said he was the hardest working baseball player on the planet...he's just the best defensive player on the planet. And you're right...that's mostely god-given talent, not something you need to work at.

Hell, he'll still hit .270ish with 30-35 bombs and 100+ rbis, while saving about 5 games per year based on his defense alone. Not exactly something to scoff at offensively.

fightingcamel
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by fightingcamel »

I would love to see the physical abilities of Andruw Jones combined with the drive of Charles Thomas. :)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

That's why I said ABOUT. I have no idea what the 'real' number is, but I can guarantee you that he's saved 4 games that I personally watched this year, in key moments, late in games when runs 'could' have meant a loss. 3 of those 4 games are plays that I don't think anyone outside of Edmonds/Cameron/Hunter would of made and it is questionable if they would have made them. That's how I came up with 5...it was by no means a scientific analysis...just pure observation.

BTW...by saying he gets to 30 more hits per year is kinda of misleading. How many balls does he cut off in the gap and hold a guy to a single, or even just holding the guy based on the reputation of his arm. It's things like that that don't show up in those statistical comparisons.

All I know is look at Tom Glavine and how he struggled big time with below average outfielders behind him in his first year in New York. What happened this year when he gets Mike Cameron...his ERA goes down and his wins go up. Those are also things that don't show up if you go strictly by the numbers.
Last edited by dbdynsty25 on Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

fightingcamel wrote:I would love to see the physical abilities of Andruw Jones combined with the drive of Charles Thomas. :)
Great point. Jones is hard to like sometimes.

BTW, I still take Edmonds :)
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Diablo25 wrote:BTW, I still take Edmonds :)
At least we know why you're not the GM of a Major League ballclub.

Parker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Parker »

Hmm, tough call. Edmonds is 7 years older at 34, but Jones is not the type of player that is committed enough to the game to improve as he gets older as we have discussed. Plus much of his game is built around speed which he has already seen the peak years for. Overall though Edmonds is quite a bit better of a baseball player so age is the only complication.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sf_z wrote:For an all-around CF, I'd take Beltran over either of the others
I've got no problem with that one. All around, sure, Beltran is probably better. More homers, more rbis, more sb's...not quite as good defensively but Beltran is going to get better. He's still really young and raw, as his .269 average shows. The 38 homers and 101 rbis are really nice though. He's going to make a ton of money this offseason.

Parker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Parker »

Hey, don't forget about Johnny Damon. He may not be one of the top 3 CFs in baseball and still may be overpaid somewhat, but .311 and 73 rbis is pretty good for a leadoff hitter. I admit I have a stronger throwing arm than he does, but he regularly makes great plays too. And he doesn't have much of an ego.