OT: The 4G Ipod...(Beware)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: The 4G Ipod...(Beware)

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Guys,

Just a little bit of advice if you're thinking of picking up a 4G Ipod. WAIT A WHILE.

I bought a 40 gig on Monday and I was having a lot of problems during the disk access. It was making noises and static while it was trying to access the disk, usually for the first 5 or 6 seconds of a song. Turns out it's a widespread problem right now with some hardware. On Ipod Lounge they have been reporting this problem for a few weeks now (my dumbass didn't check before I bought one).

Turns out, it's not a software thing, so I was confident that if I returned it and got a new one my problem would go away. It did, but who's to say that my current unit won't degrade to a point where it's doing it again. Right now I'm happy with my purchase, but that could change. Me, having an electronics fettish, probably won't have the thing longer than the 1 year warranty so I'm not too worried abotu getting it replaced if it's in that time frame, but those of you who like to keep stuff for a long time, be careful. If you buy it at Best Buy or something you can get their protection plan...I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Basically what I'm saying is that you should wait for a while until Apple figures out what's going on and they take care of the quality issues that are obviously happering their manufacturing process.

Just a little tidbit of potentially useful information.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Yeah, I've been reading up on that issue. It appears to happen in a pretty decent % of the 4G's. I'll hang on to my 40GB 3G until 5 or 6G and a 60GB.

Man I f*cking LOVE my iPod!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I'm sure once the 4G 60 gigs come out the problem will be gone. That is of course if Apple is planning on releasing the 60 gig drive in the 4G Ipod.

If you've already got a 40 gig 3G, there is no reason to upgrade. I personally like the click wheel better than the touch buttons, but it's not worth the 400 dollar investment just to get that feature. Now the battery life on the other hand....might be, especially if they jump it up to 60 gig.

The audio problem will be resolved, just as it was on the Mini when it was first released.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Damn DB, sorry to hear that. Unfortunately this happens to Apple too often these days and getting it resolved is a hell all its own - just ask the people with 15" Aluminum PB G4s whose screens started developing white spots. Don't take no for an answer!

My first-gen 5MB and second-gen 20MB are still running strong, knock on wood.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Blub,

I just took it back to the store on Tuesday and they swapped it out, no questions asked, so I'm doing fine now. I just wanted to warn guys who were thinking about picking a new one up.

At least be aware that there is a defect and purchase accordingly. Also, be ready to swap it out once or twice till you get one that works correctly. I was lucky, it only took one exchange.

BBReBozo
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by BBReBozo »

I just purchased a 4G on Sunday and haven't noticed a problem yet (with only moderate use so far). How long before you started experiencing problems?

Maybe I got lucky with my model...
but really, this is 2004, and nearly everything is considered to be gay now

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It was right away. If you don't notice it now, you're in the clear. It isn't something that develops as far as I know...it's something that's messed up right off the assembly line. You're one of the lucky ones.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Glad to hear you were able to take it back.

Parker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Parker »

Blublub wrote:Damn DB, sorry to hear that. Unfortunately this happens to Apple too often these days and getting it resolved is a hell all its own - just ask the people with 15" Aluminum PB G4s whose screens started developing white spots. Don't take no for an answer!

My first-gen 5MB and second-gen 20MB are still running strong, knock on wood.
Ya, but Microsoft's first generation players would be even worse unless you could download service packs.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

There was a problem with the sound output on the 4G's at launch, but it only affected a relatively small percentage of users. Rumor has it the problem was traced back to one of the manufacturing facilities and has since been rectified.

It should present itself immediately, so swap it out if you notice any issues...otherwise, you're probably safe.

I scour Mac sites daily, so I figured I'd chime in.

PS> Your 4G iPod is also rumored to include some as of yet unannounced abilities! Could be video storage, could be wireless (most likely a tie in with Airport Express/Airtunes, or something else. Stay tuned as Tuesday is keynote day in Paris.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Sport73 wrote:Your 4G iPod is also rumored to include some as of yet unannounced abilities! Could be video storage, could be wireless (most likely a tie in with Airport Express/Airtunes, or something else. Stay tuned as Tuesday is keynote day in Paris.
I wouldn't have a problem with any of that. I'll pick up an Airport Express if I can play my music wirelessly to the other room. Let me know what you find out Sport.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Hey DB,

A friend of mine is buying a 4G today. How noticable is the issue? I mean, is it really only noticable through headphones or can you pretty blatantly hear it anywhere?

Let me know.

Thanks.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Spooky wrote:A friend of mine is buying a 4G today. How noticable is the issue? I mean, is it really only noticable through headphones or can you pretty blatantly hear it anywhere?
It's very noticeable...especially right when you start up the ipod and start playing a song. It'll be very apparent because it'll make a pretty loud sound like the drive is spinning up, followed by a bunch of static for about 3-5 seconds.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Spooky wrote:A friend of mine is buying a 4G today. How noticable is the issue? I mean, is it really only noticable through headphones or can you pretty blatantly hear it anywhere?
It's very noticeable...especially right when you start up the ipod and start playing a song. It'll be very apparent because it'll make a pretty loud sound like the drive is spinning up, followed by a bunch of static for about 3-5 seconds.
Thanks DB. So the sound is heard trhough the headphones/speakers or is it the unit itself making noise?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Oh sorry...it's definitely through the speakers/headphones.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Oh sorry...it's definitely through the speakers/headphones.
Cool. Thanks again.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Anybody see the HP iPods?

Same pricing. You can however print xtreme games type of designs on them. Probably need an HP printer tho.