(R) Euro '04 Group Stage Round 1 (R)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

(R) Euro '04 Group Stage Round 1 (R)

Post by Zeppo »

OK I just had to say something. What is up with Portugal? I mean, Greece can't be as bad as I assumed, apparently they won their qualifying group with Spain in there.

But poor Portugal, the last of the 'golden generation' or whatever hanging on by a thread. For them the embarrassements never cease, in Korea v. the USA, now this. Wow.

Of course we all know that they would have moved on in the WC had they not lost to Korea in the last group game (thank you Korea! Forever in your debt). Now who's gonna get out of the group? It's not like the Spaniards are big-game performers. This could get crazy.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Greece played as a team, Portugal played as a collection of show ponies. Both keepers were abysmal, Portugal's defence played poorly, although it has good players (apart from Cuoto, who is well past it).

Nice to see stepover boy give away the penalty as well. And as for his goal - I'd have scored that, given the lack of any challenge and the woeful positioning of the Greek keeper.

Portugal have to beat Russia next time out to progress.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

Parker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Parker »

We are all off to a terrible start with our predictions, but I'm really in the crapper with my 3-0 guess.

It wasn't that surprising that Greece would take a lead in the first half with the suspect Portugal defense, but usually Greece loses their head and plays terribly with the lead in big matches. They didn't really today.

Parker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Parker »

That said, I don't understand why the commentators said the late Portugal goal was meaningless...goal differential can be huge in this tourney format. I predicted that Spain and Portugal would die for 1st in the group, but Portugal would win the tiebreaker, that doesn't look so good now.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I think its just safe to say that if you are the favored team in the first match of the tourney, you are going down. Didn't France lose the first one in EURO 2000 also?

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Nope, they beat Denmark 3-0....
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

No pushovers in this tournament - with the possible exception of Latvia.

Portugal were absolutely shambolic in defense for the 1st 10 minutes and were lucky not to be 3 down early in the first half. Greece played terrific positional defense for virtually the entire game and Portugal had few clear opportunities - although they did come close once or twice before scoring that late goal. OTH, had Portugal managed to grab the first goal I think the outcome might have been quite different. To their credit though Greece didn't just sit back after scoring the opener.

Figo looks like he has virtually no pace left and while he can often beat the 1st man with his beautiful dribbling he usually gets closed down quickly by the second man.

The two games were relatively open with a fair number of chances. Hopefully the remaining games will be played in a relatively attacking mindset.

Best wishes,

Doug

mobiggins
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mobiggins »

Very entertaining games today. Hope tomorrow's will be the same.
I thought Figo looked the best of the Portuguese side, though. Good observation on them playing like show ponies.

Russia-Spain was fun to watch, but worrying if I'm a spanish fan. They looked alot like Portugal did in their match, only they were up against a less determined opponent.

And the refereeing was downright shameful in this match. Yellows flying all over the place, especially against the russians, for no good reason, really.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Looks like France is on the verge of going down. They have to really come back hard to get a draw out of this.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

"Great free kick for the best player in the world!"

Parker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Parker »

Zidane has saved my wallet (not just the mini league we have going here), I was really getting nervous there. I even got the score right. I didn't think I was homosexual, but I love that man!

The difference between Beckham and Zidane...Zidane has what it takes to come through in a pressure situation on the international stage.

Barthez may be overrated stat wise, but he always comes through when he needs to.
Last edited by Parker on Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

OMFG!!!!

Two goals in stoppage time to eke out a 2-1 victory!!!

No these teams would not settle for a tie, even though Switzerland and Croatia had tied earlier in the day.

That guy who gave up the second penalty kick against Henry, he may as well not go back to the UK.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

I am sick to my stomach right now....talk about a major choke job.

2 minutes away....Dave...I really feel for you.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

The BBC stream cut out. What happened when Rooney made a run and drew a penalty kick? Barthez must have made the save to keep it at 1-0?

It's too bad this is Zidane's last international competition.

Parker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Parker »

Barthez made a great save on that penalty kick on Beckham.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

ESPN News is so far only showing highlights of the first game. Some crazy saves there to preserve the 0-0 tie.

The BBC guys are trying to look for moral victories and still looking to survive their group.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Err pigpen i dont think they choked at all it was only a matter of time before France would get a chance. When you let a team just come at you fo 45 mins ,well you geyt what you deserve. im pissed off right now.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

One of the BBC guys is saying Barthez's save was probably illegal, an infraction which might have been called.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Having watched Switzerland v Croatia, England will get at least 4, and possibly 6 points.

I'm blaming Heskey and Gerrard. And Owen, who was completely anonymous.

Bah ! :x

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

yes it was the refs fault.. :roll: morons. I thought we had thr majority of the decisions go in our favor,so it wasnt that,if anything the call on Heskey was Harsh he won the ball. But come on if Beckham(the wanker)scores were not discussing this.

Parker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Parker »

It's amazing that Beckham can pile up the assists and stats, but in the end, he fails to come through in the clutch.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

This call-in show after the game on the BBC is hilarious. A lot of emails are irate. But some guys are calm and said basically, despite the 1-0 score, France was dominating. One guy said England's strategy was to keep 11 guys in the box and head the ball away.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

excactly... Can i cry now?

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Not sure why people are blaming Beckham for the penalty - I'd simply call it a great save by Barthez.

The call on the foul that led to the first free kick by Zidane was absolutely correct. Heskey's kick just about took the French players head off. I was a pretty bad challenge.

Gerrard will be the real goat for England. I had a funny feeling that England would be a bit panicky after France equalized, and that France might be able to push England into a brutal mistake. That was an inexcusably bad backpass - Actually I'm not quite sure where that ball was supposed to end up. Amazing that James got away with yellow although I suppose that the same might have been said for the defender who brought down Rooney.

Ironically, I've come to believe that were it not for set plays England would never score - they are extremely poor from open play most of the time. Then, France come and score two goals on a free kick and penalty.

What the game lacked in polish it sure made up in drama!!

Best wishes,

Doug