OT: Discussion of Reagan's legacy

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

Leebo33 wrote: I have to admit that after further research I do find it highly entertaining that the "think tank" that issued the statement referenced in the link above has the following founders:

- Jeff Faux (the first President) who has a 1996 publication "The Party is not Over: A New Vision For the Democrats"

- Robert Reich (sec. of labor for Clinton)

- Ray Marshall (sec. of labor for Carter)

- Barry Bluestone - served as a member of the senior policy staff of Congressman Richard Gephardt, and continues to serve as a policy advisor to the Democratic leadership in both the U.S. House and Senate.

Those are the only members I researched. If I get bored I will research the Nobel prize winners.
Well, it could be that they (and everyone that signed it) are biased because they have worked for Democrats. Or it could be that they're good economists that also worked for Democrats because Democratic leaders saw that they were leaders in their field and wanted them working for me. I think it's more the latter, though I can see why you would be suspicious. There are also 446 others on the list...they may or may not be biased. Though I don't think working for a Democratic administration means that you've lost the ability to do good economic work. (Same thing for Republicans.)

I'm interested to see if you find that the Nobel prize winners are biased or not...lots of the time, they win the award because they've done really great research that is not ideologically biased.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Here's what's happening with supply-side economics. Laffer is now a marginal figure, nobody taken seriously at all.

Mankiw, the guy who ridiculed supply-side economics, is now Bush's main economic adviser.

The advocates of the tax cuts these past 3-4 years claimed they would bring more revenues or enough to offset the size of the cuts. They have not happened in the past 3 years and the deficits are mostly due to revenue shortfalls, not increase in spending. Considering that spending has increased a lot, it's significant that revenue shortfalls are even greater.

I don't want to dig up searches now. Can later if someone wants but you could look at slate.msn.com. Their economics editor, Daniel Gross, has devoted several columns to the subject.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

blueduke wrote:
Well the huge tax increase in 1982 (largest in history, to my knowledge) showed that trickle down didn't work. It helped fix the economy, but not because of trickle down economics. Because of a tax hike to cover up the massive tax breaks given before.
When Reagan entered office the top rate was 70%. When he left it was 28%. Like I said alot of people vote with their pocketbooks and if people weren't keeping more of their money and seeing the economy rebound with interest rates lowered reagain wouldn't have taken 49 out of 50 states. You can spin any way you want but common sense will tell you some things.
I agree with you that 70% is too high. And some people may have been voting with their pocketbooks. That's fine as well. But just because they voted for Reagan doesn't mean it worked. Clinton won in 1996. In your opinion, is this a mandate on his tax program? By your logic, it is.

And what I said before wasn't spin. Huge tax cuts didn't feed back into the economy the way the Reagan administration had hoped. The federal deficit ballooned after the Reagan tax cut. There was a recession in 1982. And then Reagan implemented the largest tax increase in history. These are facts.
What's with the stereotyping of people on the left? I don't care where the facts come, as long as their sound.

That's what you do Jared. "Right wing thugs".remeber that one? Besides A.S. is very respected on the left (in case you didn't know). Often quoted by your leftist friends.....until he gave Reagan a kind word that is. NOW he's irrelevant.
First, you need to NOT take my words out of context. This is what I said:
While we're at it, his support of far-right thugs in Central America cost these nations hundreds of thousands of lives.
I'm talking about people who organized death squads, torture, and suppressed the press, and were on the right. This isn't stereotyping people on the right. This is a direct reference to murderous dictators in Central America.

And what is up with "my leftist friends"? What do you know about my friends, or my beliefs for that matter? Schlessinger said that because he thinks it. But from the evidence I presented, it doesn't seem like it's true. What I'm trying to do is present evidence for an idea, and see if it holds up. Quoting a historian is not "evidence", and it doesn't matter if it's George Will or Noam Chomsky. Looking at the actual evidence is.
Yeah...some people in the press didn't like him. Same with Clinton, same with Bush. I don't understand the point you're making.

The point is the majority of the press, while liberal are singing a different tune about Reagan than your "experts", "pie charts", and "links".
The majority of the press? You say that from linking to one Newsmax article. And in that article, only one person (A.S.) actually says that Reagan's increase in arms expenditures caused the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Again, you don't address the facts or arguments that I present. Putting "experts" in quotes doesn't negate someone's argument. Addressing what they actually say does.
The main point is that trickle down economics doesn't work.

B/c your pie chart says so!!!!!!!!! Voters in 49 out of 50 states are rubes!
Addressed this argument earlier. You stick to the 49 out of 50 states argument, but avoid just about anything else I bring up on the subject.
Was the Shah that bad? If I remember correctly, he started the "White Revolution" where he worked to Westernize Iran. In it he allowed women to vote, among other things. He did have a secret police force that was fairly brutal, but (and I could be wrong on this) I believe he used it against Islamic fundamentalists (like the Ayatollah).

How is his secret police force any different than Somoza's henchmen? and yes he used it against his enemies and he certainly was better than what came after him. The point is to you Somoza is the devil incarnate and no matter how big a communist Ortega was that was no excuse to support Somoza. Now how pray does the Shah who was indeed brutal to his enemies get a pass? Looks like someone wants to have it both ways.
The Shah's enemies were Islamic fundamentalists. Carter didn't want Iran to be taken over by Islamic fundamentalists. The Shah used his police force to stop Islamic fundamentalists. Are you saying this is a bad thing?

And my point is that Somoza was horrible. People supported Ortega BECAUSE Somoza was horrible (Ortega won the first election in 1984). If we're supporting someone that is so bad that they drive the populace to support a Communist leader, then we're making a mistake.

Any policy where we support leaders that are anti-democratic and that terrorize their people is a mistake. This is because the people will see that the US government is supporting a murderous dictator and think "We don't want anything to do with the US." They'll then revolt and turn to forms of government that are not democratic (like Communism).

Now I don't know much about the Iranian revolution. IF the reason the Islamic fundamentalists revolted against the Shah was because of his iron rule, then we probably shouldn't support him (or just say we won't support them unless they change those tactics....strong arm tactics by a government almost always turn the people against it). IF they revolted for other reasons, then we should have supported the Shah.
as for deficits...........
Wonder if a Democratic Congress had anything to do with the deficits? They controlled congress for quite a while, no? If the treasury takes in more money after tax cuts, doesn't that mean the tax cuts worked? JFK thought so. Up until Reagan it was he who handed out the biggest tax cut in history.

If those tax cuts bother anyone so bad, why not give the money back? How about it, Mr Kerry? How about it Mr. Being liberal talking head on tv is the only way I can get work? Hoew about it Alec "If Bush wins the election I'm leaving the country for good" Baldwin?
I'm not against tax cuts. I'm against disproportionate tax cuts for the rich, as they don't do a good job of stimulating the economy.

And who is this Mr. Being liberal talking head person? And who cares what Alec Baldwin thinks? I surely don't.
Clinton's first two years as prez he got ziltch accomplished. This with having Dem majorities in both House and Senate. Then the mid term elections came and alot of Dems were looking for work. Then we saw surpluses. Sadly those same stalwarts who kept "Universal Health Care" and other "The gov't will take care of you" schemes from costing us up the yazoo have turned into drunken sailors. Spend spend spend is the order of the day. And it's not all on defense either. "You an illegal alien? No problem. Come on in. We'll give you free health care, free education, let you drive with no auto insurance, and if you get a driver's licesnse we'll even let you vote". I'm being sarcastic but you get my drift I hope. Pork barrell legislation has always been around but it's out of control now. My rant is finished for this evening. Good night
I didn't really follow that rant. But rampant government spending is bad.

FatPitcher
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FatPitcher »

Hey PK,

Here is a link to an organization my brother founded that's pretty in sync with Libertarian politics:

http://www.freestateproject.com

ProvoAnC
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ProvoAnC »

[quote="ScoopBrady"]I like McDonalds better than Burger King.

F@CK YOU SCOOP!!!

I also like Coke better than Pepsi.

F@CK YOU AGAIN SCOOP!!!

Last year ESPN Football was a better game than Madden 2004.

NOW YOU'VE DONE IT SCOOP, F@CK YOU AND YOUR WHOLE FAMILY!!!

exactly....now. Now this thread is making want to blow my head off. You suck, no you suck. My dad can beat up your dad...WTF over?
I have a new gamertag Provo 4569

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Jared wrote:
Leebo33 wrote: I have to admit that after further research I do find it highly entertaining that the "think tank" that issued the statement referenced in the link above has the following founders:

- Jeff Faux (the first President) who has a 1996 publication "The Party is not Over: A New Vision For the Democrats"

- Robert Reich (sec. of labor for Clinton)

- Ray Marshall (sec. of labor for Carter)

- Barry Bluestone - served as a member of the senior policy staff of Congressman Richard Gephardt, and continues to serve as a policy advisor to the Democratic leadership in both the U.S. House and Senate.

Those are the only members I researched. If I get bored I will research the Nobel prize winners.
Well, it could be that they (and everyone that signed it) are biased because they have worked for Democrats. Or it could be that they're good economists that also worked for Democrats because Democratic leaders saw that they were leaders in their field and wanted them working for me. I think it's more the latter, though I can see why you would be suspicious. There are also 446 others on the list...they may or may not be biased. Though I don't think working for a Democratic administration means that you've lost the ability to do good economic work. (Same thing for Republicans.)

I'm interested to see if you find that the Nobel prize winners are biased or not...lots of the time, they win the award because they've done really great research that is not ideologically biased.
I don't really think the economists or Nobel prize winners are necessarily biased. I just think the selection criteria used by the think tank was probably biased. It wouldn't be hard to figure out which way a Nobel prize winner would side on based on their published research and just ask those economists for their opinion. I have no idea how many people they asked. Are there 10,000 qualified economists and they cherry-picked 500? How many living Nobel prize winners are there? Did they just ask 10 of 30? Did the 20 others disagree and refuse to sign or where they even asked?

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

wco81 wrote:Here's what's happening with supply-side economics. Laffer is now a marginal figure, nobody taken seriously at all.
Wow. That sucks. I just read that he was noted in Time Magazine's March 29, 1999, cover story "The Century's Greatest Minds" for inventing the Laffer Curve, which it deemed one of "a few of the advances that powered this extraordinary century".

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

FatPitcher wrote:Hey PK,

Here is a link to an organization my brother founded that's pretty in sync with Libertarian politics:

http://www.freestateproject.com
Interesting stuff, FatP. I'm not moving to New Hampshire, but an interesting movement, nonetheless.

I guess my only problem with movements like the Free State Movement is that they're a bit radical and therefore cause people to continue to point fingers at the Libertarian Party as a bunch of freaks or some sort of hippie commune. That's not the case at all.

That's why I supported Harry Browne so fervently in 1996 and 2000. He was a Libertarian candidate who campaigned aggressively well before the LP convention and earned quite a bit of press -- for a third-party candidate -- due to his strong oratory and his pragmatic Libertarianism. He tried to slot Libertarian views and policies into the existing world instead of getting the the existing world to bend and stop to conform to Libertarian policies.

I think LP presidential candidate Michael Badnarik is a solid guy in terms of positions and philosophies. But he was an unknown to people at the LP convention, so his chances are slim of breaking out and gaining the kind of publicity Browne did in 1996 and 2000.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

>>>The advocates of the tax cuts these past 3-4 years claimed they would bring more revenues or enough to offset the size of the cuts. They have not happened in the past 3 years and the deficits are mostly due to revenue shortfalls, not increase in spending. Considering that spending has increased a lot, it's significant that revenue shortfalls are even greater.<<<

WCO:

And it's a good thing that revenue shortfalls are even greater. The U.S. government collects WAY too much of our personal income as it is. The Bush tax cuts should go even further, way further, in fact.

But those cuts also must be mated with a proportional cut in wasteful government spending, something that no politician from either side of the aisle is capable of doing. After all, pork equals votes, and votes equal another term.

The only difference between Clinton and Bush is that Clinton didn't cut taxes while continuing to spend a ton, so the deficits were eliminated. Bush tried the insane, "fuzzy math" of cutting taxes while increasing spending, which anyone with even a simple grasp of basic household economics knows is a fiscal recipe for disaster.

But then again, I've come to expect little from Bush. And sadly, he still hasn't overdelivered.

Out,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Leebo33 wrote:
wco81 wrote:Here's what's happening with supply-side economics. Laffer is now a marginal figure, nobody taken seriously at all.
Wow. That sucks. I just read that he was noted in Time Magazine's March 29, 1999, cover story "The Century's Greatest Minds" for inventing the Laffer Curve, which it deemed one of "a few of the advances that powered this extraordinary century".
All I know is he was interviewed a couple of months ago. He was running his own little company but very much out of the public eye. In the '80s, when he was in the spotlight the most, he had affiliation with a university at least.

But he went from Univ. of Chicago to USC to Pepperdine and now he appears no longer part of academia. He's probably not exactly on the leading edge of economic research, shall we say.

Not too many people pulling out the Laffer Curve these days and Laffer himself hasn't come up with anything new. So he isn't exactly at the center of economic policy these days. Yeah I would call that marginal.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Damn, you're posting early today, WCO! :)

Take care,
PK

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

Leebo33 wrote: I don't really think the economists or Nobel prize winners are necessarily biased. I just think the selection criteria used by the think tank was probably biased. It wouldn't be hard to figure out which way a Nobel prize winner would side on based on their published research and just ask those economists for their opinion. I have no idea how many people they asked. Are there 10,000 qualified economists and they cherry-picked 500? How many living Nobel prize winners are there? Did they just ask 10 of 30? Did the 20 others disagree and refuse to sign or where they even asked?
Understandable point. I don't know what the selection criteria was, and it's worth knowing. From what I remember, the Bush administration replied with a document signed by others...but I think it had lots of non-economists and few big name economists.

blueduke
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by blueduke »

I agree with you that 70% is too high. And some people may have been voting with their pocketbooks. That's fine as well. But just because they voted for Reagan doesn't mean it worked.
Alot of people vote with their pocketbooks. "It's the economy, stupid!". There's a reason that was the catchphrase of the '92 campaign. Look I don't know how old you were then and don't care but I do know for a fact everybody I know had more money left in their pocket after the Reagan tax cuts. I also know it wasn't hard to find a job. There is no freakin way Reagan would have won by such a huge landslide idf people didn't agree with his policies and people wouldn't agree if they were out of work and still faced with 18% interest rates. Common sense will tell you some things young man.
Huge tax cuts didn't feed back into the economy the way the Reagan administration had hoped.
Huge tax cuts found their way to my pocket and alot of others. During the 80's factories were opening up, not shutting down and moving offshore. you can say "trickle down" didn't work all you want but people who had jobs and raising families back then know better. 49 out of 50 states went to Reagan, Jared. Get over it.
And what is up with "my leftist friends"? What do you know about my friends, or my beliefs for that matter? Schlessinger said that because he thinks it. But from the evidence I presented, it doesn't seem like it's true.
Let's see.......Jared fawns over gorby, thinks the contras are the devil, but thinks it was okay for the Shah to disposeof his enemies (so do I), thinks Reagan had little to do with ending the Cold War, thinks his tax cuts were not effective, thinks he knows more than 49 out of the 50 states who voted for his re-election. Now that hardly makes you right of center.
The majority of the press? You say that from linking to one Newsmax article.
Put down the video game controller, Jared. Howard Kurtz is a journalist at the Washington Post. Arthur Sclessinger's quote can easily be verified (ever heard of Nexus?). And if you bother to pick up a paper and actually read it you'll see there's alot of libs giving Reagan his due. Wake up, kid!

http://www.mediaresearch.org/BozellColu ... 040608.asp
Addressed this argument earlier. You stick to the 49 out of 50 states argument, but avoid just about anything else I bring up on the subject.
I've avoided nothing. 49 out of 50 states for a re-election bid tells anyone with half a brain the guy was doing really well. so well they wanted four more years of it. DUH
The Shah's enemies were Islamic fundamentalists. Carter didn't want Iran to be taken over by Islamic fundamentalists. The Shah used his police force to stop Islamic fundamentalists. Are you saying this is a bad thing?
Hypocrisy is thy name, Jared. It's okay to use force to keep islamics away but bad to use force to keep communists away. You castigate reagan for giving aid to the Contras and give excuses for Carter ROTFLMAO
I'm not against tax cuts. I'm against disproportionate tax cuts for the rich, as they don't do a good job of stimulating the economy.
Class envy. I remember a 'luxury tax" put on yachts a few years ago. What happened is rich people stopped buying them and the workers who built the freakin' things were in the unemployment line rather quickly. Well at least they stuck it to those rich guys though :roll: Hey don't see nobody on the left willing to give their money back. And they shouldn't. they earned it.

Quote:

While we're at it, his support of far-right thugs in Central America cost these nations hundreds of thousands of lives.
what's the freakin' difference? "right wing thug", "far right thug", you still stereotyping and bawling about stereotyping at the same time! lol
I'm talking about people who organized death squads, torture, and suppressed the press, and were on the right.
So if they were on the left and did the same thing it's okay? lol Hate to disappoint but the Shah was a favorite of the right too.
Quote:

Yeah...some people in the press didn't like him. Same with Clinton, same with Bush. I don't understand the point you're making.

The point is the majority of the press, while liberal are singing a different tune about Reagan than your "experts", "pie charts", and "links".

The majority of the press? You say that from linking to one Newsmax article. And in that article, only one person (A.S.) actually says that Reagan's increase in arms expenditures caused the collapse of the Soviet Union.
You know I would think Howard Kurtz of the Washington Post would know a little more about this than Comrade Jared! as for the quotes in the newsmax article they can easily be verified. Nexus. Look into it. the LA Times quotes are in their freakin paper. read Jared!
Now I don't know much about the Iranian revolution. IF the reason the Islamic fundamentalists revolted against the Shah was because of his iron rule, then we probably shouldn't support him (or just say we won't support them unless they change those tactics....strong arm tactics by a government almost always turn the people against it). IF they revolted for other reasons, then we should have supported the Shah
You mean this whole time you've been discussing stuff you were too young to know about? Well at least you have Gorby's wisdom and those vaunted pie charts!
Last edited by blueduke on Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blueduke
Starting 5
Starting 5

Well we all knew something like this was coming.............

Post by blueduke »

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004 ... 3420.shtml

Funny we didn't read about this until now

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

Alot of people vote with their pocketbooks. "It's the economy, stupid!". There's a reason that was the catchphrase of the '92 campaign. Look I don't know how old you were then and don't care but I do know for a fact everybody I know had more money left in their pocket after the Reagan tax cuts. I also know it wasn't hard to find a job. There is no freakin way Reagan would have won by such a huge landslide idf people didn't agree with his policies and people wouldn't agree if they were out of work and still faced with 18% interest rates. Common sense will tell you some things young man.
Huge tax cuts didn't feed back into the economy the way the Reagan administration had hoped.
Huge tax cuts found their way to my pocket and alot of others. During the 80's factories were opening up, not shutting down and moving offshore. you can say "trickle down" didn't work all you want but people who had jobs and raising families back then know better. 49 out of 50 states went to Reagan, Jared. Get over it.
I know that Reagan won the election in 1984. And the economy was better in 1984 than 1980 (though remember...there was a big recession in 1982). But just because he won the election doesn't mean his trickle-down policies worked. Especially since the big tax cuts he initiated in 1981 were followed up by huge tax increases. These increases were because trickle-down didn't work. Again:
In September 1982, in its first effort to repair the damage, the Reagan administration followed the "largest tax cut in history" with the "largest tax increase in history." But there was no catching up. By the end of Reagan's first term, the supply-side logic was discredited in the eyes of many, and the inability to bring taxes and spending down together stood in marked contrast to Volcker's victory over inflation. David Stockman, Reagan's first director of the Office of Management and Budget, left the administration dejected, disillusioned with supply-side economics, and chastened by the realities of the political process.
Reagan did good in curbing inflation. But trickle-down didn't work. But it really doesn't make sense for me to present arguments and articles and facts that support the position to you, because your only argument is "49 out of 50 states". You don't address anything else. Nixon won 49 out of 50 states in 1972. Does that mean his policies were good for the country?
And what is up with "my leftist friends"? What do you know about my friends, or my beliefs for that matter? Schlessinger said that because he thinks it. But from the evidence I presented, it doesn't seem like it's true.
Let's see.......Jared fawns over gorby, thinks the contras are the devil, but thinks it was okay for the Shah to disposeof his enemies (so do I), thinks Reagan had little to do with ending the Cold War, thinks his tax cuts were not effective, thinks he knows more than 49 out of the 50 states who voted for his re-election. Now that hardly makes you right of center.
The point wasn't that my positions on some things aren't on "the left". The point is I try to think independently and weight the evidence on all issues. I don't fawn over Gorbachev, but I do have respect for him since he saw that continuing the Cold War and hard line communism was a bad thing. He opened up the Soviet Union. Am I supposed to hate him for it?

As for the Shah, he committed far fewer crimes than Somoza. And was much better than the dictators Reagan supported in Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Argentina, and Afghanistan (as Reagan supported what would become the Taliban). Supporting the Shah wasn't the best thing for Carter...but I think it pales in comparison to Reagan's support of dictators.
The majority of the press? You say that from linking to one Newsmax article.
Put down the video game controller, Jared. Howard Kurtz is a journalist at the Washington Post. Arthur Sclessinger's quote can easily be verified (ever heard of Nexus?). And if you bother to pick up a paper and actually read it you'll see there's alot of libs giving Reagan his due. Wake up, kid!
First, you omit the part of my quote where I say "And in that article, only one person (A.S.) actually says that Reagan's increase in arms expenditures caused the collapse of the Soviet Union." My point wasn't that lots of people aren't saying that Reagan didn't do good things. My point is that lots of people aren't saying that Reagan's defense expenditure increases brought the fall of the USSR.

I've made lots of points giving Reagan credit. He was an excellent orator and the "Great Communicator" was an apt term for him. His hardline against the Soviet Union was smart (though the proxy wars in Central America and increase in expenditures wasn't). He helped bring down inflation after Carter, and made some good moves in bringing taxes down. And he was very popular, as attested by the 1984 election.

I didn't come into this to bash Reagan. I came to address things that people are repeating that many don't believe are true, and to bring a more balanced view of his administration (basically, there were negatives and positives to his administration).

Too many things that people are saying about Reagan are either not true, or VERY open to debate. Like some of the numbers you put out earlier regarding the Reagan legacy, and how Reagan was the most popular president ever at the end of his term (he wasn't), and that trickle-down economics definitely worked (very much up for debate), and that the increase in defense expenditures by Reagan led to the fall of the USSR (no evidence for it that you've presented in this thread, and none that I've found).
Hypocrisy is thy name, Jared. It's okay to use force to keep islamics away but bad to use force to keep communists away. You castigate reagan for giving aid to the Contras and give excuses for Carter ROTFLMAO
Because they're different situations. If the Shah had killed tens of thousands and turned his people against him, then I'd say Carter shouldn't support him either. And maybe he did....if so, then Carter shouldn't have supported him. I don't see how this is hypocritical.
Class envy. I remember a 'luxury tax" put on yachts a few years ago. What happened is rich people stopped buying them and the workers who built the freakin' things were in the unemployment line rather quickly. Well at least they stuck it to those rich guys though :roll: Hey don't see nobody on the left willing to give their money back. And they shouldn't. they earned it.
You've got stories about luxury taxes on yachts. But do you have any numbers behind this? How many jobs were lost? How many people were hurt by this?

Also, how many people are employed in building luxury yachts? Now how many are employed building things like cars, which the lower and middle class are more likely to buy? A lot more. Give a tax cut to the middle and lower class, and they're going to put money in bigger industries and they'll hire more people.

Quote:

what's the freakin' difference? "right wing thug", "far right thug", you still stereotyping and bawling about stereotyping at the same time! lol
That wasn't the point. The point is that murderous dictators are "right wing thugs" or "far right thugs" or anything like that. Are you saying that they weren't on the right? Are you saying that they weren't thugs? If you lead death squads, you're a thug in my book.
I'm not saying Reagan didn't have some good policies. I'm taking issue on specific things.
You know I would think Howard Kurtz of the Washington Post would know a little more about this than Comrade Jared! as for the quotes in the newsmax article they can easily be verified. Nexus. Look into it. the LA Times quotes are in their freakin paper. read Jared!
First, I'm not saying the quotes aren't legit. I'm saying that only one addresses the issue of increased defense expenditures and how they led to the fall of the USSR. Show me two that say that.

Also, did Kurtz say that Reagan's increase in arms expenditures caused the collapse of the Soviet Union? Find it in the article that you linked. It's not there. Actually, here's a quote from that article...doesn't sound like fawning:
He took a pounding in the press after his first tax cut when a deep recession pushed unemployment to 10 percent and drowned the budget in red ink.

He was widely portrayed as uninformed and uninterested in details, the man who said trees cause pollution and once failed to recognize his own housing secretary.

He was often described as lazy, "just an actor," a man who'd rather be clearing brush at his California ranch and loved a good midday nap.

His 1983 invasion of Grenada was not universally applauded -- especially after his spokesman told the press the day before that the idea was "preposterous" -- and his withdrawal of the Marines from Lebanon after 241 were killed in a bombing brought blistering editorials.

He was often depicted as a rich man's president with little feeling for the poor, as symbolized by the administration's "ketchup is a vegetable" school lunch debacle. Detractors said he was presiding over the "greed decade."

During the 1984 campaign, Reagan stood in front of a senior citizens' project built under a program he tried to kill -- but his aides didn't care, concluding that the pictures were more important than the reporters' contrary words.

Journalists had a field day digging into administration corruption. Senior officials in the Environmental Protection Agency and Housing and Urban Development Department, along with ex-White House aide Michael Deaver and national security adviser Robert McFarlane, were convicted of various offenses. Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger was indicted but later pardoned by the first President Bush.

Reagan's siding with the Nicaraguan rebels was enormously divisive, and negative coverage of the Iran-contra scandal devoured much of his second term. "Crisis Blemishing President's Hands-Off Style," said a 1986 Washington Post article by Lou Cannon, Reagan's biographer.
Now I don't know much about the Iranian revolution. IF the reason the Islamic fundamentalists revolted against the Shah was because of his iron rule, then we probably shouldn't support him (or just say we won't support them unless they change those tactics....strong arm tactics by a government almost always turn the people against it). IF they revolted for other reasons, then we should have supported the Shah
You mean this whole time you've been discussing stuff you were too young to know about? Well at least you have Gorby's wisdom and those vaunted pie charts!
Actually, I bothered to learn the history about this stuff and think about it. If I can't find information on something, I admit it.

But to sum up:

Reagan was a popular president. Reagan did some good things. However, there are some points that people bring up that are either up for debate or not true. I tried to address these here with facts that can be discussed. But instead, I got suckered in by a troll that's not willing to address actual points that I bring up (mocking "pie charts" and "experts" doesn't count), and takes some of the points I do make out of context. I'm more than willing to have an intelligent discussion about Reagan (thanks Leebo), because things like trickle-down economics and Reagan's involvement in Central America and other Reagan policies should be discussed intelligently.

Unfortunately, this isn't it. So I'll let blue get the last word in, and then I'm locking the post. If someone wants to have an intelligent discussion of these things, feel free to start another post. (And if someone disagrees with me for locking this post or thinks that blue hasn't been a troll, then post here, in another thread, or e-mail me...I'm more than happy to consider other opinions on this.)

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Im drinking Bacardi on a race nite

blueduke
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by blueduke »

Especially since the big tax cuts he initiated in 1981 were followed up by huge tax increases.
Uh upon entering office the top tax rate for indivduals was 70%. when he left office I beleive it was 28%. Are you referring to corporate taxes by chance?

On a side note: Here's some info for you that disagrees with a few myths the left have about the rich, poor, and in between......and they have pie charts too!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Taxes/BG1415.cfm
In September 1982, in its first effort to repair the damage, the Reagan administration followed the "largest tax cut in history" with the "largest tax increase in history." But there was no catching up. By the end of Reagan's first term, the supply-side logic was discredited in the eyes of many, and the inability to bring taxes and spending down together stood in marked contrast to Volcker's victory over inflation. David Stockman, Reagan's first director of the Office of Management and Budget, left the administration dejected, disillusioned with supply-side economics, and chastened by the realities of the political process.
Link please. Let's hope it's not the dreaded piggly wiggly super duper pie chart!
But it really doesn't make sense for me to present arguments and articles and facts that support the position to you, because your only argument is "49 out of 50 states". You don't address anything else. Nixon won 49 out of 50 states in 1972. Does that mean his policies were good for the country?
Jared you discount any link from any site that doesn't agree with you. I could present facts and links from now till the cows come home and it wouldn't make any difference to you. But either of us if we so inclinded could find a quote from someone giving our argument validation. Surely you know we can make stats, figures, projections, etc say anything we want them to. But there is no denying to a sensible person NO ONE could win a re-election bid in that convincing a fashion unless the man isn't delivering on his promises. Come on, man
As for the Shah, he committed far fewer crimes than Somoza. And was much better than the dictators Reagan supported in Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Argentina, and Afghanistan (as Reagan supported what would become the Taliban). Supporting the Shah wasn't the best thing for Carter...but I think it pales in comparison to Reagan's support of dictators.
LOL. "Your bad guys are worse than mine" Classic.
Too many things that people are saying about Reagan are either not true, or VERY open to debate.
Something is either true or it's not. People said alot of things about him when he was alive that were "open to debate". Most coming from the left. "Reagan wants to starve schoolchildren", "Cut social security", "Reagan cut the education budget", etc. Despicable lies. Now we have lamenting from the same side saying more or less Reagan ain't all that. Forgive me for begging to differ.
Like some of the numbers you put out earlier regarding the Reagan legacy, and how Reagan was the most popular president ever at the end of his term (he wasn't), and that trickle-down economics definitely worked (very much up for debate), and that the increase in defense expenditures by Reagan led to the fall of the USSR (no evidence for it that you've presented in this thread, and none that I've found).
Now now Jared. Nobody said Reagan was most popular prezat the end of his term. Find it and rub my nose in it or retract your claim. As for not providing a link to Reagan's economic success I provided a link (Heritage Foundation) that you quickly dismissed. But we should all take piggly wiggly and the atlantic seriously, right? Like I said earlier one could provide any link, quote or whatever and if you don't gree with it it's useless. Let's put it this way.............Reagan modernized a decrept military (against the howls of Dems), didn't cave in to the Soviets, didn't cave in to Gorby on SDI, and pretty soon a wall came down in Eastern Europe. I'd say if he had used "detente" or appeased the Soviets that wall may still be up. You want to disagree knock yourself out, buddy.
Quote:

Because they're different situations. If the Shah had killed tens of thousands and turned his people against him, then I'd say Carter shouldn't support him either. And maybe he did....if so, then Carter shouldn't have supported him. I don't see how this is hypocritical.

along with:

Defending a position when you admittedly know nothing much about it is......well not very smart. If you don't know much about the Shah you can't remember very much about the Contras. The time span was what about 7 years? But you rail on about Somoza's henchmen. Again not very smart. Somoza was a jerk just like the shah but they had one thing in common...they were against soviet expansion. I blame neither Carter or Reagan. In both cases supporting these men were in the USA's best interests.

How is it hypocritical? They were both oppressive to their enemies and used brutal tatics to deal with them. You defend one and make excuses for the other. It's hypocritical alright LOL
Now how many are employed building things like cars, which the lower and middle class are more likely to buy?
NOT MANY, dude! where on earth have you been hiding yourself???? The manufactoring base in this country is no where near what it once was. If you'd bother you could pick up a paper and read about one plant after another either moving to Mexico, "outsourcing", or bringing in illegals. Get out of the house every now and then Jared! This may be a shocker but not everybody wants to be a dot snot :wink:
The point is that murderous dictators are "right wing thugs" or "far right thugs" or anything like that
Amazing. Stalin was a conservative LOL
I'm saying that only one addresses the issue of increased defense expenditures and how they led to the fall of the USSR.
Pick up a paper. Plenty are saying this.
Also, did Kurtz say that Reagan's increase in arms expenditures caused the collapse of the Soviet Union? Find it in the article that you linked. It's not there. Actually, here's a quote from that article...doesn't sound like fawning:
I didn't claim he did. I used Kurtz article to show (and he mentioned this in the article if we can read) that alot of journalists are starting to give Reagan his due but since you're in desperate need of quote here is something from the article:

There is a natural tendency in the media to say nice things after someone has died. But more important, a president's legacy looks very different 15 years after he leaves the White House, and following a long illness that took him out of the political wars. No one knew when Reagan stepped down that his military buildup would ultimately play a role in the demise of the "evil empire" he railed against. Critics denounced his legacy of record-shattering budget deficits, but in the resulting economic boom such shortfalls came to be viewed as less dramatic, another sign of how Reagan redefined the political debate.

The press, by its nature, tends to get down in the weeds of day-to-day controversies that envelop any president. But when the protagonist is off the stage and the camera pulls back, a brighter picture emerges and the setbacks tend to fade from memory. What is left are the big accomplishments and the inspirational qualities that Reagan brought to the office. (Bill Clinton is unlikely to benefit from such a cultural cease-fire when his memoirs are published this month, if only because not enough time has passed since his turbulent presidency.)

Happy now? Yes reporters on the left are giving him his due. GET OVER IT
(And if someone disagrees with me for locking this post or thinks that blue hasn't been a troll, then post here, in another thread, or e-mail me...I'm more than happy to consider other opinions on this.)
Troll? LOL. when the argument is lost the name calling begins. I'll spare you the trouble Jared. No need to lock it. I'll post elewhere from now on. Look at my post count. As you can see they've been in more threads than this one. Have a nice life.
Last edited by blueduke on Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.