OT: Have you ever given up on a team?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Have you ever given up on a team?

Post by Leebo33 »

I am so disgusted with the Pirates. I've been a loyal fan since 1974, but they are really testing my patience. I totally agree with Bob Smizik's article in today's Pittsburgh Post Gazette:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04144/320816.stm

I'm totally disgusted. I'm about as loyal as any fan can be, but I feel loyalty is a two-way street and they aren't earning my support. Am I allowed to pick another team until the Pirates get new ownership...LOL? I've already adopted the Phillies' as my second favorite team because for the past 10 years I have lived much closer to Philly than Pittsburgh and they don't play in the same division anymore. I wish they were in the AL though as my heart just won't let me root for them full time.

Has anyone ever got so disgusted with their favorite team that they switched for good?

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

I feel the same way about the Buffalo Bills. At times I feel that they really are trying and at other times I wonder WTF on earth would make them do some of the things they do. Say, take the past 2 year's first round draft for example. I have been a fan of the Buffalo Bills my entire life (32 years), but combine the fact that I do not like what they've done the past couple years with the fact that I am now a permanent resident of Denver... The broncs are slowly becoming my team.

The Colorado Rockies. I'm not giving up on them, but I do not spend nearly the amount of money going to their games that I have in the past. Usually by this time of the season I have been to about 5 or 6 games (if not more). This year I have been to only one (opening day) mainly for the fact that I do wish to spend money on a team that continues to only get worse. Hell, if the ownership would just fire Dan O'Dowd I might even consider purchasing season tickets. At least they'd show that they are somewhat interested in putting together a winning team.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

I basically gave up on baseball after the Pirates lost in their last playoff appearance, haven't watched an entire game of baseball since then. I was a diehard Pirate fan back then watching every game, even stayed up til 1 or 2 in the morning to watch or listen to the games from the west coast.

I still wish they would do well but get sick of hearing them whine that they can't compete because they are a small market team when other small market teams such as Minnesota seem to have no problem competing.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Man, you guys are pathetic...you should never 'give up' on your team no matter what. That's the beauty of sports...some teams are good, some are bad. I'm a damn Suns fan...they won freakin' 29 games. That doesn't mean I'm going to switch over to the Lakers just because I live in LA and they are good. Same thing goes with my 22 win Coyotes.

You live and die with your team...good or bad.

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Man, you guys are pathetic...you should never 'give up' on your team no matter what. That's the beauty of sports...some teams are good, some are bad. I'm a damn Suns fan...they won freakin' 29 games. That doesn't mean I'm going to switch over to the Lakers just because I live in LA and they are good. Same thing goes with my 22 win Coyotes.

Couldn't agree more.
True fans don't "give up" on their teams.
I'm a diehard Philly fan for every sport, we haven't had a championship in over 20 years...I'm not about to abandon them.

CincyReds1
Mario Mendoza

Post by CincyReds1 »

A true fan NEVER gives up on a team. I have been a Cincinnati Bengals fan my whole life (15 years) and I am too young to remember the last time they made the playoffs. Yeah, I used to crack jokes about how bad we where but I am a LOYAL fan of them no matter how Bungle-Like they are.

-CincyReds#1
http://www.themlbforum.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=34

Great Diamondbacks Forum In Need Of Members. Tell them CincyReds#1 sent you.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I will never give up on the Blackhawks and they have the worst owner in sports. Go ahead, try and name someone worse than Dollar Bill Wirtz. Sure, they give me nothing to hope for, but they are part of my life. I've been a fan of the Blackhawks, Bulls, Cubs, Sox, and Bears my whole life and nothing will change that. I have taken rooting interest in other teams in other sports but not once have I given up on my favorite teams.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

i have given up on the celtics. they were amazing in the mid-80s. now they are a JOKE. sad.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

>>>Say, take the past 2 year's first round draft for example. I have been a fan of the Buffalo Bills my entire life (32 years), but combine the fact that I do not like what they've done the past couple years with the fact that I am now a permanent resident of Denver... The broncs are slowly becoming my team.<<<

Boom:

TRAITOR!

I will be a fan of the Bills, Edmonton Oilers, Syracuse University and Newcastle United forever. At least that's what I plan!

I've never had a favorite NBA team. I've pretty much given up on baseball, but I do root for my boyhood team, the Yankees, during the postseason.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Parker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Parker »

I have one thing to say: 1918

If I can stick with it, so can you.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

Since I was a kid, I've always pulled for the Cowboys, St. Louis Cardinals, and the Lakers.

Through all the Cowboys' bad years and the Cardinals World Series droughts, I've stuck with my teams. I couldn't imagine pulling for another team even with some of the bonehead crap Jerry Jones has done.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I am a Blackhawks fan in hibernation. The current regime gives me nothing to follow. Went to watch them when they came to play the Wild and it was flat out pathetic...a bunch of has beens and never-will-be's playing with a few bright lights.

Haven't given up on the team, but have given up hope and followed another team more closely (Wild).

I feel your pain Scoop!
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Man, you guys are pathetic...you should never 'give up' on your team no matter what. That's the beauty of sports...some teams are good, some are bad. I'm a damn Suns fan...they won freakin' 29 games. That doesn't mean I'm going to switch over to the Lakers just because I live in LA and they are good. Same thing goes with my 22 win Coyotes.

I will never give up on my team, although I'm not sure if total apathy counts as giving up or not. I was just wondering aloud if anyone has changed teams not just to due to bad management but maybe due to a move. It does make it tougher to follow a team when you move away from an area. I have a friend who moved to South Florida and is now a Marlins fan. I really don't have a problem with it.

I've always been a hometown team guy, but what happens when your hometown changes? It is harder to do when you come near the point where you have lived longer away from your hometown than you lived in it. Luckily, the Internet and satellite television makes it easier to follow your favorite teams no matter how far away you live.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

You guys are lucky - your crap teams at least stay in the same competition when they come bottom. The end of my Man City seasons are all too often spent chewing fingernails, as they attempt to avoid relegation again, and visits to p**s-poor outfits are back on the agenda.

Just think of it as if your MLB team got relegated to AAA if they came bottom (or as happened to us in 97-8, relegated from AAA to AA). Imagine the dumps you would have to visit.

Still and all, City are my club, and always will be.

I was even unlucky enough to pick the Bengals when the NFL first became popular in the UK in the early 80's (on the basis of the cool kit). Stuck with them since then, despite many seasons of futility. Maybe a relegation would have done them some good !
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Dave wrote:Haven't given up on the team, but have given up hope and followed another team more closely (Wild).
Ultimately, I think that is what happens. People just become apathetic and then jump back on the bandwagon when things get better. I know there are exceptions, especially for your favorite sport (I never purposely miss a Steelers game) but I think a lot of us hibernate at times.

I'm a Sixers' fan and would never change teams, but I have to admit to not following them too closely in the mid 1990s.

The great thing about sports is you truly can temporarily adopt another team without "cheating" on your own team such as rooting for anyone playing the Yankees, Lakers, Cowboys, Miami Hurricanes, etc.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Hell no. Have you watched a U of Memphis football game?? Geez, the town went nuts cause we went to the NO Bowl, that's how bad it had gotten.

U of Memphis
Mets
49ers
Knicks
Sheffield Wednesday
Bayern Munich

Those will be my squads until I die and they damn well better be my kids' favorite teams!

The_Sir
Mario Mendoza

Post by The_Sir »

You're not a real fan if you give up on the team and you're definitely not a real fan if you switch to a different team until yours is good again.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I usually tune out if they're having bad seasons but permanently give up? It's a trying time because of the front office ineptitude and negligence of the 49ers, Giants and Warriors right now. But you don't get over decades of following these teams, starting in your childhood.

When I spend significant time in other cities, I can't get into the local teams.

But I think a good chunk of fans of teams are precisely transplanted people who adopt new teams or bandwagon fans. Of course everyone hates them but somehow, I suspect that teams depend pretty heavily on such fans for gate revenues, TV ratings and merchandise sales.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

ScoopBrady wrote:I will never give up on the Blackhawks and they have the worst owner in sports. Go ahead, try and name someone worse than Dollar Bill Wirtz. Sure, they give me nothing to hope for, but they are part of my life. I've been a fan of the Blackhawks, Bulls, Cubs, Sox, and Bears my whole life and nothing will change that. I have taken rooting interest in other teams in other sports but not once have I given up on my favorite teams.
That's too easy. Donald Sterling, owner of the L.A. Clippers. Absolutely does not care if the team wins or not. Somehow he has made money on that team no matter how bad they do and how few fans are in the stands (until staples center, it was in the single digit thousands).

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I don't care if someone says I should not give up on a team.

There's a difference between giving up and not being interested in them. Take the Rockies and Nuggets (pre-Carmelo) how in the world can you be interested in teams that seem to NOT WANT to improve. If they atleast put forward in effort for the fans.

I can not imagine being an LA Clippers fan, Arizona Cardinals or some of the other bottom feeders.

I love the Avs and Broncos and haven't given up on the Rockies but I'm not going to watch a futile season.

Cincinnati_Kid
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Cincinnati_Kid »

Go Stingers.....i didnt quit on them they went under on me:(
Go Lightning......shine up Lord Stanleys Cup this is gonna be fun
Go Reds.....grew up during the big red machine era so i was spoiled from day one......1990 added another title....they seem to over acheive more often than expected considering the recent salary strapped seasons just look first place as we speak !!
Go Devil Rays....its like the Buccaneers all over again circa 1976ish but hey i guess this is my suffering for all the other luck my favorite teams have had lately
Go Bengals......seen some good days seen alot more bad days but things are finally looking up
Go Buccaneers...stuck through every bad year and it finally paid off
Go Ohio st Buckeyes.....they won the national title in 1968 the year i was born....i finally got to see them do it myself recently !!!

the only thing i gave up on was getting that copy of splinter cell from Dave :cry:
http://thecincinnatikid.blogspot.com

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

JRod,
You won't be able to call the Cardinals a bottom feeder for much longer. They are definitely a team on the rise.. and in a hurry. They will surprise a lot of people this year and not just because of Fitzy (although he doesn't hurt matters any ;)).

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

fsquid wrote:Those will be my squads until I die and they damn well better be my kids' favorite teams!
LOL.

Assuming that I live here for awhile, it is going to be interesting to see who my son adopts as his favorite teams. It was easy for me to like the same teams as my dad (except the NBA...he liked the Celtics) because we liked all the Pittsburgh teams. We are kind of in the middle here between Philly and Baltimore with Pittsburgh not too far either. I would really like him to be a Steelers fan and will do anything I can to get him to follow them (take him to games, watch with him on TV, buy him stuff, bribe him, threaten him...LOL), but I really won't lead him in any direction for the other sports.