Papyrus closes down?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Papyrus closes down?

Post by James_E »

RustedWalleye
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by RustedWalleye »

Sad, Very Sad. I had a glimmer of hope they would put out something non Nascar but alas I guess not.

Hopefully Project Wildfire will continue otherwise it will officially be the end of an era.

RustedWalleye
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by RustedWalleye »

Sad, Very Sad. I had a glimmer of hope they would put out something non Nascar but alas I guess not.

Hopefully Project Wildfire will continue otherwise it will officially be the end of an era.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Yeah, some reward for making the best two PC racing simulations ever! Go figure!?

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Papyrus is soley responsible for my sim racing addiction. I spent countless hours with "1989's Indianapolis 500 The Simulation". That was one track, 33 cars, Roland or Adlib sound, and use of a keyboard or joystick. I know Crammond's Revs is considered by many to be the first racing sim, but "Indy the Sim" was the first to really give you the sense of speed, strategy, damage model, etc. Looking back on it the game was really ground breaking for its time. My dream as a kid was always to be able to turn some laps at Indy, this game made you feel like you were doing it. It was the first game that forced me to upgrade my PC. Got a Roland sound card, upgraded by memory, and bought a joystick (although I was always more successful wit the keyboard).

Then they released Indycar Racing in 1993 that included all the circuits of the 1992 Indycar World Series including Indy, Mid Ohio, Laguna Seca, Cleveland, Michigan, Phoenix, Long Beach, etc. Amazing game, and it allowed for racing head to head over modem or serial cable. I bought my first steering wheel and 2nd computer with long-ass serial cable configuration just to play my brothers and friends head to head with this game. I remember when the Indy 500 Track pack was released for the game, it was actually right before Memorial Day weekend. I had problems getting it installed. I logged onto the Papyrus BBS on race day morning (Sunday of course), and found someone there from Papy who actually let me call them and they helped me get it working. I was running laps before the actual race started.

Then of course came Nascar Racing(and all its sequels) with its multiplayer BBS racing, Indycar II (the first racing sim that I know of to take advantage of 3D accelerated graphics cards), and the grand daddy of them all Grand Prix Legends. The fact that this 6 year old game still has a pretty strong community is testament to the Papyrus legacy. Sure it is starting to show its age, but the commitment that Papy had to realism, physics, damage model, multiplayer, etc. is still the benchmark that no other developer has yet to live up to. First and foremost these guys were racing fans, and all their products showed it.

I knew this day was coming a long time ago, but it is very sad to see it officially in print.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Ahhh...good old Indy 500...I had that game too DC...it was a blast. I can't imagine how many laps I turned on that track back in the early 90's. There was just something about that game that made it infinitely replayable. One of my top 10 games EVER.

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

dbdynsty25 wrote:There was just something about that game that made it infinitely replayable.
For me, it was the insane crashes that could occur. Of course, I was only around seven or eight when I was playing it.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I bought my first real PC because of Indycar Racing. I got that and Navy Seals, followed by Strike Commander. Remember when a 27MB install was insane? I bought an extra 2MB of RAM for like $275. Funny how tech changes.

I'll miss Papyrus for sure. Hopefully somebody like ISI steps up and goes the extra mile in their absence.