A little baseball research help...

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

GROGtheNailer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

A little baseball research help...

Post by GROGtheNailer »

Anyone know of a good site that will list a pitcher's array of pitches and their speeds?

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

Nobody knows of even a bad one because such a thing does not exist. I'm sure there are scouts who have all of that information at their disposal, but I can't see any reason why that information would be available on the WWW, unless some video game nerd has done it for editing stats in a game (certainly possible, if you've seen the length of some of the lists these nerds have created for NCAA you know what I mean).

ESPN.com's player profiles use information from STATS, Inc. that is sometimes very helpful:

"Gagne's arsenal begins with a 95-98 MPH fastball. His trademark pitch is a vulcan changeup; he holds it back towards his palm with two fingers on either side of the ball, then gives it a little screwball action. The pitch comes in at slider speed (86-88 MPH) before dropping precipitously near the plate. Last season, Gagne re-introduced a tantalizingly slow curveball into the mix. It floats in at around 70 MPH, and hitters really have no chance when he can get that pitch over. Add the superb command that he has over all three pitches, and there is little wonder as to why Gagne has had so much success."

Note: most of them are NOT nearly as helpful as this one, but they can give you a basic idea where you can fill in most of the blanks yourself. You could also buy the book from STATS, Inc. ($15). It might have even more such info.

Rob Neyer and Bill James will be releasing a book next month that is all about pitchers and the pitches they throw, how they throw it, the way they deliver it, etc. I think the book has more of a historical slant to it though.