Zidane voted best Euro. player in last 50 years in UEFA poll

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Zidane voted best Euro. player in last 50 years in UEFA poll

Post by wco81 »

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I don't know enough about greats such as Beckenbauer and Platini to compare them to Zidane.

But a commentator on UEFA.com's free radio show made a good point: Voting was conducted on uefa.com, which definitely skews the vote toward a younger demographic. Most of those who voted have seen Zidane play, yet I bet the minority saw great players from the 50s, 60s and 70s play.

Again, I can't comment on whether Zidane deserves the honor. But the method of voting definitely favors a current or recent player.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

That's true. However, I thought that the NBA Greatest 50 and similar lists for other sports, even if they weren't fan-voted (meaning there was a sronger likelihood that the voters had seen some of the older players) seem to skew towards current players.

I thought it was interesting however that most of those other names are not current players. Or maybe I'm wrong.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I woulda picked Cruyff?

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

It has to be Puskas. I am going purely on a very limited amount of historical knowledge, but Puskas and/or Cruyff, amybe Platini should all be ahead of Zidane. But I freely admit I know nothing. I do know Puskas was unbelievably good.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

hugo wrote:It has to be Puskas. I am going purely on a very limited amount of historical knowledge, but Puskas and/or Cruyff, amybe Platini should all be ahead of Zidane. But I freely admit I know nothing. I do know Puskas was unbelievably good.
Puskas of the Hungarian Natl team in the 50s(The Magic Magyars)
Read about him and them back in HS.
I forgot the writer (Paul Gardner?)but the book was called The Simplest Game.