My only gripe with ESPN

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

My only gripe with ESPN

Post by ScoopBrady »

My only gripe has to be the online interface. I really don't like it. I haven't been able to figure out how to check out my stats if I even can. When I check my friends list it just says that they're playing, not what game they're playing. Web sent me an invite the other night and I accepted thinking it was for a game of ESPN then I was asked to put in the game disc he was playing but didn't even tell me which game he was playing so I had no idea what to put in. Sorry about that web.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

ruiz00tx
Mario Mendoza

Post by ruiz00tx »

Mine are the bugs that don't happen all of the time (which is great) but when they do happen it's a bummer. Like hitting a HR that's counted as a ground rule double or a runner scoring from 3rd on the 3rd out of the inning.

It definitely could be worse, they could happen more often than they do, but at the same time it gives you that feeling that they were so close (yet so far) to making a perfect game.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Thankfully, I haven't seen any bugs that Ruiz has mentioned.

Scoop,

Question about the online gaming in ESPN. Is there a lobby that shows the amount of people in it waiting for an invite? In addition, does show what teams they have picked as well as pitch speed? Top Spin just left a really bad taste in my mouth as their online set up was absolutely horrible.

NoJoke
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by NoJoke »

I'm glad that I haven't seen those either. I have, on one occassion, had the third baseman play a grounder that was foul and throw out the batter at first. And the out counted. Other than that one isolated occassion, my play has been pretty much glitch free.

ruiz00tx
Mario Mendoza

Post by ruiz00tx »

What is the best pitch speed to use on-line, slow or medium?

Also, the runner scoring from 3rd w/2 outs has not happened to me but I've read other posts about it, the HR counted as a ground rule double happened to me last night in an offline exhibition game against the CPU.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

The runner scoring from 3rd with two outs I believe only happens in "situational mode". Not actually in a real game.

I'm curious about this pitch speed question. Primarily because I can't see playing with anything slower than "fast". I prefer "real" offline. Does it have something do with lag or what? Because that DSP league Pacuca is forming has a pitch speed set to "medium". What gives?

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I gave up on online play.

Am I nuts?

ruiz00tx
Mario Mendoza

Post by ruiz00tx »

I've read a couple posts mentioning the scoring bug happening in a real game, not just situational. Just like the HR/Ground rule double bug, it doesn't happen very often so it can be replicated over and over.

Regarding pitch speed on-line, I would assume lag is the problem.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

ruiz00tx wrote:I've read a couple posts mentioning the scoring bug happening in a real game, not just situational. Just like the HR/Ground rule double bug, it doesn't happen very often so it can be replicated over and over.

Regarding pitch speed on-line, I would assume lag is the problem.
I have not seen the scoring bug occur in a real game, and I've had that situation occur twice where the runner advances across the plate before the out, once on a grounder and once on a fly ball.

I did see the bad pickoff bug. The CPU tried to pick me off and threw the ball away. The batter who was up then "came up again," with a fresh count as if he hadn't been batting. Only happened once, though, so it is at least rare.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Brando70 wrote:I did see the bad pickoff bug. The CPU tried to pick me off and threw the ball away. The batter who was up then "came up again," with a fresh count as if he hadn't been batting. Only happened once, though, so it is at least rare.
I've seen that too! I thought I was just imagining things...it was the 4th game in a row I had played so I was a little weary by that point anyway.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

sportdan30 wrote:Thankfully, I haven't seen any bugs that Ruiz has mentioned.

Scoop,

Question about the online gaming in ESPN. Is there a lobby that shows the amount of people in it waiting for an invite? In addition, does show what teams they have picked as well as pitch speed? Top Spin just left a really bad taste in my mouth as their online set up was absolutely horrible.
dan,
There is no lobby showing people waiting to game. You can only see the people who create a match.

It does not show you what team they have picked but you can look at their record and it will tell you the average rating of the teams they use.

And as far as the bugs mentioned, I have yet to encounter any bug in this game at all.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

The only bugs/annoyances I've seen:

-AI Pitchers seem to have a problem bunting. Anyone else notice this? I have to experiment a bit more to see.

-Scoring on errors is a little goofy at times, as it is in every baseball game I've played. First basemen are sometimes charged with an error for pulling their foot off the bag in an effort to catch errant throws. WTF?? Error scoring is very good in other places so I guess it evens out in the long run.

-Occasional AI baserunning gaffe. The CPU should score from 3rd on DP's.

I can live with this list. :D Great game.

-AJ

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

My main gripe is that the only way to see what a pitcher's strength and weaknesses are is to look at them when they are not yet in the game. What I mean is that once a pitcher is in the game, you can't check and see what pitch they are best at and what pitches they are less successful with. Same goes with your starter. If there is a way to find this information out, I would love to know where to look during the game.