For those pondering TOCA 2 and CMR 04

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

For those pondering TOCA 2 and CMR 04

Post by pk500 »

Hi all:

I have run across a few of you cats who are interested in buying both Colin McRae Rally 04 and TOCA 2 for the Xbox, as it's only a $50 total purchase.

And for those who wonder if CMR 04 is a worthy purchase since rallying also is in TOCA 2, CMR still is very worthy.

I advanced to the rallying portion of TOCA 2 last night in the Career mode, and it's not implemented as well as I expected. I figured it would almost be like a CMR mini-game since the Codies also make the Colin McRae series.

Nope. The rally mode features short, unrealistically twisty circuits in Spain with a mixture of gravel and asphalt. The cars feel a bit too floaty, and the grip model doesn't change much from asphalt to gravel. At least Nicky Grist delivers the pace notes, which is nice!

It sure seems like the CMR team didn't have a lot of input on the rally portion of TOCA 2. No biggie, as the circuit racing in TOCA 2 is absolutely brilliant.

But if you planned to get a serious rally fix from TOCA 2, plan again and get CMR 04 and TOCA 2.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

or wait for Rallisport Challenge!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Squid:

True, but I don't think Rallisport will have anywhere near the realism of CMR 04, and it's $30 more.

Yes, RSC 2 will have online play, but I don't care to rally online, anyways. I'm a rally purist, and rallying takes place against the clock, not other cars.

But I know I'm in the definite minority here!

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

fsquid wrote:or wait for Rallisport Challenge!
Having played Rallisport 2 already, McRae 4 is the better overall title. The graphics in RC2 are incredible (my wife commented how realistic it looked), but I can't get pass the pace notes. McRae does it so much better and it really adds to the game. Car setup in the beta I have don't seem to make much difference. RC2 does have some awesome hill climbs. The AI in the rallycross areas is atrocious. Hopefully the final version will be better.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

James:

How did you get your mitts on RSC 2, if I can ask?

Thanks,
PK

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

The wonderful folks at SGN hooked me up with a debug kit, which I have also seen on the open market. Should be getting the final release in the next week or so. Only bad thing is the beta has unbelieveable slow load times which will no doubt be fixed in the final release. We're talking enough time to get up and take a crap. Honestly. I'd do errands around the house waiting for the courses to load.

Parker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Parker »

Ok, I am now considering buying TOCA 2. I like sim style driving games, but I also like a career mode that's more than just linear. Moto GP just didn't do it for me as far as single player for instance (although a great multiplayer game), but the variety of vehicles and race types in this game has me more intrigued.

sdrotar
Mario Mendoza

Post by sdrotar »

The final beta of RSC2 does solve the slow load times.
It's like PGR2 - more fun-oriented and mass-targeted than, say, TOCA2 - but it is a lot of fun if you're not expecting a hard-core sim.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: For those pondering TOCA 2 and CMR 04

Post by XXXIV »

pk500 wrote:Hi all:

I have run across a few of you cats who are interested in buying both Colin McRae Rally 04 and TOCA 2 for the Xbox, as it's only a $50 total purchase.

And for those who wonder if CMR 04 is a worthy purchase since rallying also is in TOCA 2, CMR still is very worthy.

I advanced to the rallying portion of TOCA 2 last night in the Career mode, and it's not implemented as well as I expected. I figured it would almost be like a CMR mini-game since the Codies also make the Colin McRae series.

Nope. The rally mode features short, unrealistically twisty circuits in Spain with a mixture of gravel and asphalt. The cars feel a bit too floaty, and the grip model doesn't change much from asphalt to gravel. At least Nicky Grist delivers the pace notes, which is nice!

It sure seems like the CMR team didn't have a lot of input on the rally portion of TOCA 2. No biggie, as the circuit racing in TOCA 2 is absolutely brilliant.

But if you planned to get a serious rally fix from TOCA 2, plan again and get CMR 04 and TOCA 2.

Take care,
PK
You sir are 100% correct.

Just got passed the rally part of TOCA.

Woah!!! No comparison between that and CMR4. They feel, play and look completely different.

Buy both...You wont be sorry,

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

CMR 04 and TOCA 2 are all the racer I need I do believe. I knew I was going to love CMR 04... that was given. Anyone who knew me as Crazy Stanely over at OS knows I love me some rally racing.

I didn't however, think I'd like TOCA as much as I do. This game is friggin sweet so far.

Kruza
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by Kruza »

Yeah, the Rally part of TOCA Race Driver 2 isn't all that good. And it's not only the handling that's the issue. It's possible to cut many of those bends that Nicky Grist doesn't tell you about. In fact, you have to do this to avoid crashing into many of the trackside objects. Plus you can stay on 2nd gear to navigate most if not all of those hairpins and other tight bends Grist yells "1," "3" or "4" for, and still go fast enough through them all without suffering consequences. I'm beginning to think the subpar makeup of the Rally mode in TRD2 was done this way deliberately so to not deter anyone from getting CMR 04.

Kruza

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Kruza:

Pretty sensible theory, my man. The rally mode in TOCA 2 is shoddy, but the rest of the game is balls-out brilliant.

So what's your online rating up to? 1800? :)

Take care,
PK

Kruza
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by Kruza »

Heh, not even close. I think it's somewhere around 1600.

I think I'm going to do what I did for PGR2. I dabbled online a bit in the beginning, then focused on unlocking everything offline before hopping back online to stay. If I don't completely finish up Career mode in TRD2 soon, I at least want to open all the V8 Supercars and circuits before I hop back online again. I don't want to get totally hooked into online play yet until I finish Career mode to unlock everything. It's going to take a lot of willpower and Peptol Bismol to fight the temptation to get back on Live right away whenever things aren't going smoothly in Career mode, but I'll try to manage. ;-)

Kruza

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

Kruza wrote:Yeah, the Rally part of TOCA Race Driver 2 isn't all that good. And it's not only the handling that's the issue. It's possible to cut many of those bends that Nicky Grist doesn't tell you about. In fact, you have to do this to avoid crashing into many of the trackside objects. Plus you can stay on 2nd gear to navigate most if not all of those hairpins and other tight bends Grist yells "1," "3" or "4" for, and still go fast enough through them all without suffering consequences. I'm beginning to think the subpar makeup of the Rally mode in TRD2 was done this way deliberately so to not deter anyone from getting CMR 04.

Kruza
Couldn't agree more. When I got to the Spain Rally I was fired up and then while actually racing I couldn't believe what I was experiencing. That s*** is almost as bad as V-Rally 3. The rest is awesome though.

I hopped online for about 1 race last night and of course turn 1 was a friggin mess. I swear to God I get pissed when people don't even attempt to slowdown for turns and just decide to take you out instead.

Anyway, hopped offline and began to plug my way through unlocking everything. Made to Season 4 or 5 I believe.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Guys,

Which of the two games provides the best single playing experience? Meaning longevity and fun. I dumped XBL a few months ago (didn't need a ridiculously high internet bill among all the other bills I seem to get everyday in the mail).

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dan:

I would say TOCA 2, simply because of the variety.

If you're not a rally fan or don't enjoy that style of driving, you'll tire of CMR 04 quickly. It's rally -- nothing else.

TOCA 2 has rallying, albeit poorly implemented, and a TON of circuit racing that is re-created brilliantly.

Take care,
PK

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

sportdan30 wrote:Guys,

Which of the two games provides the best single playing experience? Meaning longevity and fun. I dumped XBL a few months ago (didn't need a ridiculously high internet bill among all the other bills I seem to get everyday in the mail).
I'd say TOCA 2 provides the best overall experience as you get to race a virtual smorgasboard of cars and trucks. Colin McRae 4 is a great game, but it's just a rally game and nothing else. By all means, if you can afford to drop $50, get them both, but if you could only get one, I'd say TOCA 2.
The online racing is pretty much as smooth and lag free as Moto GP was and fun as hell to boot.

I understand about dropping Xbox Live, but a lot of games still come with the two month free trial and I'm pretty sure you can use one of those since you're offline now. If you don't have any, I've got a few lying around and would be more than happy to send you one.