TOCA 2 online impressions

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

James_E wrote:Can anyone comment on pit stops yet? Have you needed them online? How do they work? Is the work done by your crew configurable while you are driving (ala Nascar Racing Season 2003)?

And... can you race really long races online (real life lengths.) Can you put in accelerated wear so that you have to pit even on shorter races?
I checked out the set-up options for online and system link play, and the answer to the question is a disppointing "No."

As far as I can tell, in "unrated" races you can set race length from 1 to 100 laps for any track. But there is no accelerated fuel consumption, and no option to set mandatory stops.

I set up a Formula Ford system link race and set the lap count to 42, and my fuel guage was just over 3/4 full at the start (I can't remember what circuit it was). When you go through the pits online, you drop to the pit lane speed limit and cruise through the thing, no weird windows or pop-ups as would appear in the single player. I did see that whatever damage I had on the car, just vanished, but I didn't notice any new fuel going in (why would there be? I started the race with enough to finish), and there was no indication I had acquired fresh tires.

What makes this so disiappointing to me, is that in the single player "free race" mode, you can set mandatory stops for races as short as 5 laps. But not in System Link or XBL play. Very frustrating, and frankly, a bit odd.

No qualifying for online races, either. You have some options for how the grid is set, including 'lowest rated at the front,' but 'qualifying' is not one of them (it is in the single player 'free race' mode).

The game sets a cap on the number of racers you can host after checking your connection. You can only put in CPU drivers to fill out any empty slots within that maximum number. So, my system would only allow 6 racers, so if I had 5 human players, we could have no CPU racers in there. Since the single-player game has as many as 24 or 28 cars on the track (at least as far as I have seen, which is not far), I had hoped to be able to race with 5 other humans and then maybe 10 more CPU cars or something, but that ain't gonna happen Nor does it work like MotoGP2 where the CPU field online is the full field as it would appear in the offline game.

Man, that MotoGP2 really has the slickest online set of features. Auto-posting of lap times, ability to check friends' lap times at any time, full 16 racer support online, fill out the field with CPU racers. It was my first XBL racing game, I thought they all would be like that!

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I still think MotoGP2 is the best Xbox racer...

...not including TOCA, which of course I have yet to get into.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

pk500 wrote: It's been so long since I've played F355 that I forgot that view.

Here's what you see in tin-top cars when using the cockpit view: Windshield, hood, top of dashboard. No steering wheel or instruments.
In F-355 that's what you get, but you also get the upper third of the steering wheel and hands. The wheel moved in conjunction with your steering commands... I really liked it.

Have the hood, windshield, and top fo the dashboard is still far superior to the hood ornament view, IMO. I never got used to not having them in PGR2.
When driving a Formula Ford (my favorite class so far), you see the front cowling and front wheels and part of the A-arm suspension.
Now you're talking! That's getting there.... it will be hard to wait until Sunday evening to play it, but I need a test of character! 8)

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Found a couple of very solid connections.
Game was great for 2-3 hours then I got in a 3 rd room with lag and the obligatory Live idiot who likes to drive backwards.

Consensus seemed to be the game was more fun than PGR. Its new though so that might ware off.

Offline I got to the Global GT lightsand raced Donnington Long...For you MGPers..its the Donnington you know and love right down to the chicane I wipe out on.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

After playing online last night for I don't want to think how long, I have one thing to say:

THIS GAME ROCKS