ESPN Basebakk - Confidence meter

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

ESPN Basebakk - Confidence meter

Post by Danimal »

I was wondering how many of you play with this on?

I think it is a good concept, that is flawed in it's execution. Or maybe I just think it is flawed.

Take for example pitchers, I only see their confidence go up after a strikeout. I would think it should rise for each scorless inning. However they lose confidence on a homerun, which I agree with. But they also lose it with consecutive hits, which I disagree with. I would think that runs scoring would drop it.

Also the ammount of confidence drops way too rapidly. If you give up 4 hits in a row and only 1 run in the 1st inning, your confidence seems shot. I see no rating on players, which effects how much they lose / gain.

Anyway, just wondering what others thought. I am considering turning this and power pitching off in my GM Career.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Maybe I am in the minority, but when I give up consecutive hits in real life....confidence does take a hit. That is when you step off, relax, and go back to work.(especially with 0 outs)

Remember also, Most SP's comfort zones are in the windup, going to a stretch, worrying about runners, slide-stepping, bunt defense, bbacking up bases,etc....takes a tool on pitch velocity, pitch break, etc.

Lockdown
Mario Mendoza

Post by Lockdown »

I like it. As a matter of fact, I love it.

Playing a game yesterday, I tried taking my baserunner from 2nd to Home on a single to right field. The single was well hit, but my runner was rather slow, and I knew it was going to be very close. The rightfielder GUNNED the ball in, great throw, and made the play. I was out at home.

The camera then switches to the right fielder, and you see his Confidence Meter go up because of the great throw he made for the out. To me, that is just way cool.

From what I remember reading, certain attributes can fluctuate to around 15% above or below normal based on confidence. I don't know if that is exactly right, or which attributes are effected, but I think it's great.

Then again, maybe I am just easily pleased. :?

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

I'm still not sure if I like the concept or not. I like the power pitching though.

I did notice that if you visit the mound, your pitchers confidence will rise a little.
-Matt

snate
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snate »

Put me down for liking it too. It only has a marginal effect on ratings and it adds a nice touch to gameplay. The one thing I don't like about it is that mound visits always raise the confidence meter of the pitcher. There should be some variablitlity to it like MVP where sometimes it goes down upon a visit.