Not to continue to kiss ESPN's a**, but...

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Not to continue to kiss ESPN's a**, but...

Post by RallyMonkey »

Wanted to start a new post on cool things that people are seeing. As i stated in the "Manny pulls a Canseco" post, this game has neared perfection, IMO, when it comes to baseball gaming. And yes, I am aware of it's flaws as well. Anyway, add on to this if you have anything.

-the Manny header
- sportdan's post regarding Renteria's bobble caught by a diving Rolen
- the fact that diving to early for a ball will result in a booted ball as opposed to the "vacuum" affect that is in most other games.
- the long, fading/drawing foul ball. how cool, or devastating, is it to watch as a ball you were JUST a bit ahead of starts out fair and draws just foul as it approaches the pole.

I have others but would rather see what you guys are noticing.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I had a 12-pitch at-bat with Tom Goodwin last night. Got down 0-2, I kept fouling off, working the count, got up to 3-2, fouled off some more, and finally hit a bloop down the left field line that almost dropped for a hit.

12 freaking pitches!

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Brando70 wrote:I had a 12-pitch at-bat with Tom Goodwin last night. Got down 0-2, I kept fouling off, working the count, got up to 3-2, fouled off some more, and finally hit a bloop down the left field line that almost dropped for a hit.

12 freaking pitches!
Who do you think you are, Julio Franco !?!?!? :wink:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Spooky wrote:Who do you think you are, Julio Franco !?!?!? :wink:
That was a damn nice at bat by the ageless one.

Parker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Parker »

I thought I saw Julio playing bingo last week.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
I guess, as long as you weren't on the receiving end of it! No, even as a Cubs fan, I was SO impressed. Great to watch!!!

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Spooky wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
I guess, as long as you weren't on the receiving end of it! No, even as a Cubs fan, I was SO impressed. Great to watch!!!
That's what was so surprising -- my Goodwin bat happened Sunday, and I saw that Franco AB the day before. It was eerily similar. I had a couple where I almost got K'd but just got a piece to foul it late.

Another thing I saw that was really cool: in my Cubs franchise, opening game against Atlanta, first at bat with Furcal, he drags a bunt for a hit. Surprised the hell out of me. And it was only that first AB in that first game -- he didn't try it again the whole series.

snate
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snate »

Brando70 wrote: Another thing I saw that was really cool: in my Cubs franchise, opening game against Atlanta, first at bat with Furcal, he drags a bunt for a hit. Surprised the hell out of me. And it was only that first AB in that first game -- he didn't try it again the whole series.
Yeah I have had Furcal try to drag a few bunts on me. That is pretty damn cool.

Speaking of the ageless wonder - in my game the other day he made a great diving stab on line drive down the line. The animation was priceless. After he made the play he kinda got up to his knees and let out a sigh like I am way too old to be doing this.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

snate wrote:
Brando70 wrote: Another thing I saw that was really cool: in my Cubs franchise, opening game against Atlanta, first at bat with Furcal, he drags a bunt for a hit. Surprised the hell out of me. And it was only that first AB in that first game -- he didn't try it again the whole series.
Yeah I have had Furcal try to drag a few bunts on me. That is pretty damn cool.

Speaking of the ageless wonder - in my game the other day he made a great diving stab on line drive down the line. The animation was priceless. After he made the play he kinda got up to his knees and let out a sigh like I am way too old to be doing this.
Iv also seen a couple of bunt attempts for hits......First time I just stared at it like a goof....

Havent played a console baseball game this long( 35 games in season) since Bases Loaded. I might actually finish the season......Problem is Loaiza broke his arm and is out 90 days.....*&%#

Lockdown
Mario Mendoza

Post by Lockdown »

I posted this in another thread, but...

Playing a game yesterday, I tried taking my baserunner from 2nd to Home on a single to right field. The single was well hit, but my runner was rather slow, and I knew it was going to be very close. The rightfielder GUNNED the ball in, great throw, and made the play. I was out at home.

The camera then switches to the right fielder, and you see his Confidence Meter go up because of the great throw he made for the out. To me, that is just way cool.

Kinda' like a little "reward" for him making the great throw.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Yeah, I saw that happen with Sosa. There was a pop fly, looked like Grudzelanic (who I was going to control) was going to get it, but I misplayed the ball and it looked like it was going to drop, so the man on second took off. The AI controlled Sosa wound up just making the grab, and I threw to 2nd to get the double play. His confidence went up.

I also made an unassisted double play with Derrek Lee. Man on first, hard liner to first. The runner realistically took a couple steps on contact, Lee grabbed the ball near the bag and was able to step on first for the DP. Very cool

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

-I like being able to view the last pitch, to compare where I was aiming with where it actually ended up. Most CPU homeruns come on mistake pitches that end up out over the plate. Awesome.

-Variety of game outcomes. I'm getting all kinds of scores. Even when I'm somewhat dominant, like when I finally pitchd my first shutout last night with Glavine, I still usually have to work out of a couple jams... it's never a breeze. Feels very realistic.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Gotta throw in the animation where if a ball is hit foul down either of the first or third base lines, sometimes you'll see one of the base coaches jump out of the way of the oncoming screamer.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

CPU runners on 1st and 3rd with 2 outs. I throw the pitch and the guy at 1st takes off for second. My automatic reflex is to try to gun down the potential stealer. My throw is a tad late and the guy at 3rd steals home. Sheer genius. I never expected it in videogame baseball. CPU baserunning is very good.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Variety of game outcomes. I'm getting all kinds of scores. Even when I'm somewhat dominant, like when I finally pitchd my first shutout last night with Glavine, I still usually have to work out of a couple jams... it's never a breeze. Feels very realistic

Slumber,

Just for fun, are you playing on Pro, All-Star, etc? And what slider settings, if any. I am getting drilled off line playing on All-Star. Just wondering.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

RM, I'm using snate's sliders, which can be found in this thread:

http://www.digitalsportspage.com/module ... pic&t=2823

Don't be scared by the Legend difficulty setting. All that governs is user hitting. With snate's settings, the CPU batters are playing a shade below All-Star. They're great. I'm 4-4 with the Mets. My home opener, I lost to the Braves 8-4... next game, Leiter holds them to 3 hits and I win a 2-0 shutout. You never know what's going to happen, and the stats are right on.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

ScoopBrady wrote:CPU runners on 1st and 3rd with 2 outs. I throw the pitch and the guy at 1st takes off for second. My automatic reflex is to try to gun down the potential stealer. My throw is a tad late and the guy at 3rd steals home. Sheer genius. I never expected it in videogame baseball. CPU baserunning is very good.
Same thing happened to me in the bottom of the 10th at TB.......SOB

On a sad note I lost all of the games I played sunday when I forgot...to save....... :( ....7 games washed away............

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

One other thing in a long line of great stuff: the wind effects.

You can really feel it when the wind is blowing in or out. I played a game at Pittsburgh last night and there were several hard shots that were obviously kept in the park by the wind. When the wind is blowing out, you really have to adjust your pitching to keep balls low most of the time, otherwise routine deep flies have a tendency to drift over the wall.

Also won a 12 inning, 2-1 game against Pittsburgh and then won a 4-3 game in the bottom of the 9th against the Mets with a Todd Walker walk-off homer. This game is just amazing.

Lockdown
Mario Mendoza

Post by Lockdown »

Playing as the Astros in the first year of my franchise is still going well. I am in the middle of my first series at Pittsburg now. Up until yesterday, I hadn't seen any real "spectacular" plays by any infielders. But that shortstop for the Pirates (forget his name, maybe Jack something) just made some absolutely killer plays last night. 2 in the first game and 1 in the second. I watched the replays multiple times they were so good.

Another thing I like: My pitching staff is performing much like I would expect. In a nutshell, Oswalt is very steady if unspectacular (2-1 so far). Clemens is very hard to get hits off of, has alot of strikeouts, but takes FOREVER to get them, thus he is usually completely spent by the 7th. Pettite is just like he is in real life... bizarre! This guy's ERA for me now is close to 4.80, he gives up more hits than innings pitched, but he somehow wins his games (3-0 so far). Redding is a crapshoot. I never know what I'm going to get when he's on the mound. Not to mention if I use any extra effort with him, those pitches could end up anywhere! (He's 2-2). Dotel gives me ulcers every time I bring him in. I think he has 5 or 6 saves already, but he is *this close* to blowing every single game.

As far as I'm concerned, Sega can back that a** up, I'll kiss it with both lips baby. This game is the real deal. It ain't perfect, but they deserve some serious credit with what they've done.
Last edited by Lockdown on Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Lockdown touched on it best in regards to the pitchers. What a difference between my number one pitcher Matt Morris (a control pitcher who can rack up strike outs) to my number 4 starter, Jeff Suppan (a work horse of pitcher who definitely relies on control and defense to get him through games). Just using these two guys as examples, you can really tell the differences in terms of velocity and hanging curve balls. Morris's really drops while Jeff's kinda hangs there more often than not.

The little things are certainly impressing me.

Waddupcouzin
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Waddupcouzin »

I'm really enjoying the barehanded grab animations in the infield. I was impressed by the game from day one, but the more I play the game the more impressed I become.

Lockdown
Mario Mendoza

Post by Lockdown »

Went up against Kip Wells tonight. Lost the game. He only went 6 2/3 against me, but I swear he saved his nastiest stuff for my big hitters. He was throwing average stuff until Bagwell and Kent show up at the plate, then WHAM!!!! - take this super-gyro, whirly-wind, 243 foot breaking curveball buddy! Bagwell... down on strikes. Kent... caught looking.

My roommate happens to be in the room with me as I am yelling, literally, at Bagwell for striking out. I am calling him every name in the book I am so mad. My roommate turns to me and as serious as can be says... "Tony, I thought YOU were the one controlling when your guy swings?"

I turn around and look him right in the eyes... "I am."

He shakes his head as he walks away and says, "You know, there are homes for people like you. Not only do you TALK to your television, you YELL at your players like they can actually hear you. You need help."

I, of course come back with a very witty reply...

"Shut up Chris."

And that, my friends, is a true (albeit very sad) story.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Good story Lockdown and so very true to home. I have my wife threatening to turn off the console at times because I'm getting to into a game. Anyways, the thread that just won't go away.....

I'm just in awe in regards to the variety of games I'm getting. Last night, I had Woody Williams squaring off against Randy Johnson and the Diamondbacks. Both pitchers pitched a gem and the only mistake pitch Johnson made was a pitch down the middle of the plate that Mike Matheny launched into the seats. I was so dominant with Williams I started to wonder if I had full grasp of pitching in this game. To the point, I deemed it too easy? I shut down the Diamondbacks on a combined 4 hitter.

Next game I had Jason Marquis throwing for me against Houston. "Houston, We have a problem......" "Second that, Houston...we have a major problem." Marquis got lit up like a freshman getting into his first bar with a fake I.D. at college! The Stros' batted around the order without making a single out. I knew I was in trouble when Biggio led off the game with a triple. It went from bad to worse. 3 homers total in the inning and when it was all said and done, it was 9-0. First inning no doubt! There goes my thoughts on my grasp of pitching in this game. Well, I simulated the game to the end as it was late and I was being embarrassed. 13-3 final.

Just goes to show you that some days your pitchers are on fire and other days they are sooooo off.

Gotta love it either way.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Forgot to mention....Last night, Liner back up the middle. Hits my pitcher's foot and rolls away about a foot. He looks around for a second or two before he locates the ball. By then, it's too late to gun the guy out at first.

Sweet!

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Great story dan. I am constantly in shock at how my pitchers can go from so bad to so good game to game.

And Lockdown, it is crazy how the CPU pitches differently to your #9 guy as opposed to the heart of the lineup. With the Sox, Pokey Reese sees plenty of strikes where as Manny and Nomar have to be patient and wait as the pitcher works the corners and comes in and out of the zone.