Is XBL a good purchase?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Is XBL a good purchase?

Post by JRod »

Well as most of you know, I'm not that big of an online gamer. Well after the current release of bad baseball games, I need something more from gaming.

PK's article a while back about moving away from sports games and to FPS and strategy games.

So after looking at my Xbox collection, I am going to have a massive firesale. And reorganizing my xbox, collection has made me think about gaming in a differnt direction.

However, all this talk about Xbox sports not having an 04 lineup has scared me a bit regarding XBL.

My questiosn are...

1) Is XBL a good purchase? I am not an FPS gamer. I rented Rainbow 6 or Ghost Recon (can't remember) the first one for the XBox and hated it. I have yet to play Splinter Cell so that one is next up. Strangely I enjoyed Star Wars KOTOR even though it wasn't online so I guess there's hope. If I'm not into FPS games is it worth the price of admission.

2) With MS games off the market and not one to play extensively online. I like the single gamer experience, but I would like to play more games online. I feel like I'm missing out but I don't want to get the XBL and play one or two games online and then put that game down.

3) This is a techinical question. What's the cheapest way to get XBL wireless setup. I have a wireless setup in my house. My laptop I think could be use a portable router to hook it up to my Xbox but I don't relaly want to lug it around everytime I want to hope on. I know the XB wireless adaptor is 99 and that isn't even with a year subsripction and all the right equipment. Is there a cheaper way. Wireless from the Xbox to the network or to the PC then on to the wireless network are the only options. What should I look at and how much is it going to cost. I would like to do this on the cheap but that's wishful thinking.

4) Microphone usage. I'm in a situtaion where I game later at night, right around when the DSP poker nights are on but using the mic isn't really an option. I think it will disturb the peace around the house. Is this must use on most games?

Right now, I'm looking for some games that I hope will keep me interestd in playing online and that will allow me to decide if online is right for me. So that's a much to-do so I don't get online and find out I never liked the game anyway. :lol:

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Is XBL a good purchase?

Post by Leebo33 »

JRod wrote:4) Microphone usage. I'm in a situtaion where I game later at night, right around when the DSP poker nights are on but using the mic isn't really an option. I think it will disturb the peace around the house. Is this must use on most games?
Jrod:

I think microphone usage is a must, especially with the DSP crowd. I've tried a few games without it using a wireless controller and I absolutely hated it. I don't mind going without a microphone for random encounters, but I think it is a must with people on your friends list.

pacuca
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by pacuca »

I think the lack of Keyboard support/Text Chat on XBL is terrible. As JRod pointed out, sometimes you just can't use the microphone. XBL's all-or-nothing use of the microphone as the only means of comunication is a bad decision on their part as it cuts off all communication if one player doesn't have a mic.

The way Microsoft's been doing things lately with their console stuff, I wouldn't be suprised if Sony comes out in the next round of console wars with a superior console/online infrastructure and knocks Microsoft out of the game.

For someone like me who's primarily interested in online gaming ladders, leagues etc.... the lack of individual lobbies on XBL sucks. I hope if/when EA gets on XBL, Microsoft doesn't make them get rid of their online interface/features and go with just the Friends list.

pacuca

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I love Live the way it is.
Its the one thing MS did right.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Jared,

Don't get the MS Wireless adapter...

Get the Linksys Wireless Game adapter. That's the one I've got and it works flawlessly. Kinda tricky setting it up with WEP keys but it works none the less. I think the model number is: WGA11b

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

John:

Itemized deductions during a break:

>>>1) Is XBL a good purchase? I am not an FPS gamer. I rented Rainbow 6 or Ghost Recon (can't remember) the first one for the XBox and hated it. I have yet to play Splinter Cell so that one is next up. Strangely I enjoyed Star Wars KOTOR even though it wasn't online so I guess there's hope. If I'm not into FPS games is it worth the price of admission.<<<

No question that XBL's strengths are FPS and sports games. If you're not into FPS, then that limits your enjoyment of XBL. But I find the sports games -- especially the racing games -- to be awesome on XBL with friends, especially buds from DSP.

>>>2) With MS games off the market and not one to play extensively online. I like the single gamer experience, but I would like to play more games online. I feel like I'm missing out but I don't want to get the XBL and play one or two games online and then put that game down.<<<

MS games are off the market, but they're not being eliminated from store shelves, eBay and gamers' libraries. Some of the XSN games are fun as hell online, such as Links and multi-multi-player NHL Rivals. Inside Drive, too.

Plus you can still play sports games of other developers besides EA on XBL.

If you're an EA devotee, I would NOT get Xbox Live. EA's future with XBL still remains too cloudy to commit to XBL if you dig EA Sports games.

>>>4) Microphone usage. I'm in a situtaion where I game later at night, right around when the DSP poker nights are on but using the mic isn't really an option. I think it will disturb the peace around the house. Is this must use on most games?<<<

The microphone is the heart of the XBL experience, if you ask me. It's what separates XBL from PS2 Online more than any feature, even all-broadband, Friends, XSN, etc.

I couldn't imagine playing an XBL game without a microphone. It turns online gaming from a gaming experience to a social experience. This may sound odd, but hearing someone's voice makes you feel like you know someone much better than just plain text.

Once you've tried XBL with the microphone, I guarantee you'll move your gaming setup to a spot where you can use the mic, especially if you're using a wireless network.

Talking -- smack, praise, drunken stupor, anger, whatever -- is an essential part of the XBL experience, especially among friends. XBL wouldn't be the same if I couldn't say, "F*CK YOU, Carl," in moments of altered stupor. And it wouldn't be the same to go without hearing Provo do his Dave Chappelle-Lil' Jon "Hoo-WHAT?" imitation, to hear ScoopBrady's Chi-CAGO accent in its full thickness, to hear Neckthai imitate the Indianapolis Motor Speedway announcers, etc., etc., etc.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

pk500 wrote:John:

>>>4) Microphone usage. I'm in a situtaion where I game later at night, right around when the DSP poker nights are on but using the mic isn't really an option. I think it will disturb the peace around the house. Is this must use on most games?<<<

The microphone is the heart of the XBL experience, if you ask me. It's what separates XBL from PS2 Online more than any feature, even all-broadband, Friends, XSN, etc.

I couldn't imagine playing an XBL game without a microphone. It turns online gaming from a gaming experience to a social experience. This may sound odd, but hearing someone's voice makes you feel like you know someone much better than just plain text.

Once you've tried XBL with the microphone, I guarantee you'll move your gaming setup to a spot where you can use the mic, especially if you're using a wireless network.

Talking -- smack, praise, drunken stupor, anger, whatever -- is an essential part of the XBL experience, especially among friends. XBL wouldn't be the same if I couldn't say, "F*CK YOU, Carl," in moments of altered stupor. And it wouldn't be the same to go without hearing Provo do his Dave Chappelle-Lil' Jon "Hoo-WHAT?" imitation, to hear ScoopBrady's Chi-CAGO accent in its full thickness, to hear Neckthai imitate the Indianapolis Motor Speedway announcers, etc., etc., etc.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
PK
Yes sir.
Nothing like hanging out with the guys at the bar, having a few beers ,talking and playn sports without having to leave your recliner.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Xbox Live is by far the best reason to own an Xbox. Everybody I know who gets it starts thinking in terms of Xbox Live support when it comes to additions to their library. It will change the way you think about your library.

As far as the lack of keyboard support is concerned I don't think that was a blunder on their part at all. From the beginning Xbox was thought of as a PC console, something Microsoft wanted desperately to denounce. To support the most fundamental piece of computer hardward (keyboard) would have further promoted that thought instead of denouncing it.

I also feel like I've gotten to know the great bunch of guys who hang out here all the more better by being able to talk to them all. They truly feel like friends now.

P.S- PK, you're the one with the accent not me. :P
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I'm slowly turning into PK.

I've just put 10 games up on ebay. (I hate Half.com). And with that money, I will look into purchasing xbox live. I have some time to look into it deeper.

Has anyone tried to set-up a wireless network with it's XBox, or hook up the xbox to it's wireless network?

Okay so what games should I think about getting to get me hooked on XBL.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

John:

You're scaring me. :)

Seriously, here's an XBL starter list considering you're not a big FPS guy and you like golf, right?

Project Gotham Racing 2
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
Links 2004

That would be a hell of a threesome with which to start.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

seanmac
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by seanmac »

For sports games I would also highly recommend ESPN NFL and Inside Drive (get it while the getting's good). Depending on how you feel about tennis, Top Spin is also worth a look.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

JRod wrote:Has anyone tried to set-up a wireless network with it's XBox, or hook up the xbox to it's wireless network?
See my earlier post...it's a piece of cake, especially if you don't use WEP keys to secure your network. If you do, it takes a bit more tweaking but it works like a charm with my LinkSys wireless adapter and my LinkSys wireless router.

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

Let me also throw in the fact that most xbox live games have a xbox Live "free trial" card enclosed that allows for 2 free months of xbox live. So if you bought three games that included this card you could have 6 months free live play.
But a downside to this is you wouldnt have the things included in the "Live" starter kit, which includes a mic and the memory card thing the mic plugs into. I guess you can buy those seperately though. Not sure.
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

TheTruth wrote:. . .which includes a mic and the memory card thing the mic plugs into. I guess you can buy those seperately though. Not sure.
Indeed you can get them separately, but it costs $30.